Isn't it time for a plain old Macintosh again?

Comments

• Reply 181 of 1657
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit

You guys are all correct. BTW, what ever happened to the 1.6 Ghz PM G5?

I was basically neutered. Slower bus than the other towers, PCI not PCI x can't remember what else. And it was priced the same as the iMac. So you could get an iMac with fundamentally teh same specification at the same price with a nice monitor or a castrated tower, not a good deal.
  • Reply 182 of 1657
    heh heh, speaking of AIO,

This is fun ---> http://tam.axon.net/

*edit* ha, wish I had a wad of spare cash. there's a TAM on ebay for 999ish.
  • Reply 183 of 1657
    Hello, and sorry for my poor english,

I'm computer programmer working all days with Windows, and some 6 years ago, I decided when I came home I wanted some computer wich didn't give me troubles, so I bought a iMac DVD 400.

Today he is ok, my duaghter use it, and she can do a lot withc him.

When iMac G5 20' came out, I decided to buy one. Rev. A, a bit noisy cause front of me and not under the table, but a beautiful machine. Only one problem : grahic card suck !!! FX5200 was almost a low-level graphic card when it came out.

This is really a problem cause I have a great computer, wich I could use 5 years more without problems, and I can't change the graphic card.

And here is the real problem : I do a lot with my computer, including some games. Mostly MMORPG and flight simulators. Both games without equivalents with game console and I don't have TV, so ...

So I have a beautiful computer with a 20' screen, a beautiful OS, but I should play games in 800*600 resolution, without details ?

I have a beautiful computer, but I should need to buy a PC only because I like to play some games ?

And now, Mac is proposing BootCamp.

OK, this is great for professionnal, but many peoples, I included, are interested in BootCamp for an other

reason. With it, it is possible to do what Mac does not make very weel, and the only thing Windows does well : playing game.

But now a problem ... Mac don't propose any computer wich allow you to play computers games.

I want a 2 GB memory, 250 GB HD, 250 HD (perhaps 500 GB) and my graphics card.

A fully equiped Mini cost as much as an iMac (20') without all performances of an iMac (and grahic card is really bad).

An iMac has all I want, but has some kind of low-level mid-range graphic card I can't change. It would cost me 3'200.-- CHF (Swiss Francs).

The only mac wich has a decent graphic card and the ability to change it is the Mac Pro, wich would cost me 5'800.-- CHF, almost the double price (cause I need to buy a 20' screen). For ths. I would have to much power (I could handle this) and extensions capacities I will never use.

I really not sure I understand what Apple will do with BootCamp.

I'm really not sure anyone else as peoples wich are at ease with computer want to change for Mac in using BootCamp, cause peoples wich are not a ease with won't try a double OS.

And peoples wich are at ease with computers are mostly young peoples, and many young peoples like games. And the only thing they can say about a Mac is "It sucks" and they are right. Cause with a PC you can do everything. With a Mac, you can only do almost everything.

Mini are overpriced and unusable for games, iMac can't handle most hit games and it will be unable to handle the game wich come next year, and Mac Pro are far to much for this.

OK, playing is not a good idea ? This mean I must go back to PC to allow me to do this too.

So yes, something between could be a good idea.

A good Dell computer allowing game would cost me half-way between iMac and Mac Pro.

And I would really like a downsized Mac Pro at the same price. Really. And many peoples I know wich are using PC would be far more intersted too.

Most peoples change 3 things in their computer : memory, hard disk and graphic card.

PS : I agree too with the idea of an iMac withc a PCI 16x porte and double room for large graphic card (X1900XT). In that case, the iMac would really be great, but I'm really afraid for the graphic card of next iMac. A G7300 ???

RePS : And if I'm not a geek, I would prefear to buy manufacturer equipment, such as memory ...

• Reply 184 of 1657
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow

Also, there are other reasons to want the "expansion" than the desire to swap out video cards every 6 months. If you have a free slot and your built in network or USB controller goes out (and your warrenty has run out) then it's a lot easier and less expensive to drop in a PCI card and configure it than it is to bring it in to the closest authorized Mac repair shop and have them fix the problem (or worse yet shipping it to Apple because there isn't a shop local that you can have it fixed at) or to just go out and buy a new computer.

Agreed. To add, I had a 7500 that didn't even have USB nor Firewire. Bought a PCI card and I was in business. Sonnet G4, external firewire drive, Final Cut Express mmmmmm. And I am not a geek. I don't like messing with computers, but Apple's pricing model excluded me from the Tower goodness. I paid $89 for the 7500, and built a computer I could afford to do my humble home movies.
  • Reply 185 of 1657
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Oh - I'm not denying that I wouldn't like PCIe expansion at all. It's just my experience that with the exception of geeks (no offense. I'm including myself in that), few people bother with aftermarket upgrades a year or two down the line. ....

Except for the fact that many people upgrade the innards(usually the video card, quite often teh harddrive) at the time of purchase, which is not an option with the iMac.
  • Reply 186 of 1657
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag

We agree then. One man's boutique is another man's niche.

Problem is that Apple executives have stated they wish to increase market share. Offering a mid range to upper end consumer desktop would give them a much greater chance of gaining market share. No one here has indicated Apple should get into the low end.

And, I at least don't expect "a huge paradigm shift". What I did mention was the possibility of doubling market share to 10% by capturing a larger %'age of the upper end consumer(read profitable) market.

Apple can (and may) increase market share only in it's niches. If Apple got 20% of the laptop market, or doubled it's share in the pro field (because of Mac Pro aggressive pricing), that'd give Apple a huge profit boost and a good bit of marketshare.

I don't deny that an xMac can increase marketshare (and probably would), I'm just saying it isn't essential to increasing marketshare.
  • Reply 187 of 1657
    Just for fun here's a couple of links.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Tab=0&NoMapp=0

Core2 Duo 1.86Ghz

1.0GB DDR2 533 (PC2-4200) ram up to 8.0GB

DVD±RW Dual Layer

PCI-Express Video Card ATI RADEON X300SE 128MB Memory

6 USB Ports\t

1 Firewire Port

2 PCI slots

3 PCI express slots.

Media Center remote control

$899.99

Core2 Duo 2.40GHz

1.0GB\tDDR2 800 (PC2-6400) ram up to 8.0GB

DVD±RW Dual Layer

PCI-Express Video Card ATI Radeon X1600 Pro

6 USB Ports\t

1 Firewire Port

2 PCI slots

3 PCI express slots.

$1299.99

Would I buy either of them, no, they run Windows. Could Apple offer computers similar in a similar price range in a much better package and make a nice profit? I bet so. I bet they could design an unbelievable package. They would sell gazillions of these. Well, maybe not gazillions, but certainly quite a few.
  • Reply 188 of 1657
    More shorter as my precendent message :

Has Switching + Bootcamp any sense without a mini-tower ?
  • Reply 189 of 1657
    2 Mac's: Mac and MacBook

2 configs each: Home and Pro and you jest go from there.

there're are too many other configs to list
  • Reply 190 of 1657
    Quote:

Just for fun here's a couple of links.

Core2 Duo 1.86Ghz

1.0GB DDR2 533 (PC2-4200) ram up to 8.0GB

DVD±RW Dual Layer

PCI-Express Video Card ATI RADEON X300SE 128MB Memory

6 USB Ports\t

1 Firewire Port

2 PCI slots

3 PCI express slots.

$899.99

Core2 Duo 2.40GHz

1.0GB\tDDR2 800 (PC2-6400) ram up to 8.0GB

DVD±RW Dual Layer

PCI-Express Video Card ATI Radeon X1600 Pro

6 USB Ports\t

1 Firewire Port

2 PCI slots

3 PCI express slots.

$1299.99

Would I buy either of them, no, they run Windows. Could Apple offer computers similar in a similar price range in a much better package and make a nice profit? I bet so. I bet they could design an unbelievable package. They would sell gazillions of these. Well, maybe not gazillions, but certainly quite a few.

<inhales deeply> ahhhh, the fresh smell of $15 enclosures! takes me back to the Yongsan Electronics Market in Seoul, South Korea!

Let us not forget that if you know what you're doing, you can ALWAYS build a comp for much less than you can buy one. That's why I built my current PC five years ago. I've been upgrading it progressively since it's birth, and I can still manage to play the newest games on it, despite it's having a 1.4 P4 (socket 423, for those who know what it is) and only 512 MB of RAM.

And let me make clear at this point that I'll NEVER build my own pc from scratch again.

I've had nothing but trouble from this thing, partly due to windows, but mostly due to stupid little conflicts that occur between components that were only designed to work togeather in a very general sort of way. The wonderful advantage that Mac users have is that Apple VERY THOROUGHLY tests all of it's computers before releasing them to make sure that they work smoothly.

Remember, "Practice Safe HEX, and Avoid Computer Viruses Today!" (seen on a t-shirt from thinkgeek.com)
  • Reply 191 of 1657
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Apple can (and may) increase market share only in it's niches. If Apple got 20% of the laptop market, or doubled it's share in the pro field (because of Mac Pro aggressive pricing), that'd give Apple a huge profit boost and a good bit of marketshare.

I don't deny that an xMac can increase marketshare (and probably would), I'm just saying it isn't essential to increasing marketshare.

I don't disagree with this at all. It is a matter of degrees. How much market share, how quickly. The mid to upper end of the consumer market is still a niche market, but a much larger niche than they currently address with their product mix. Maybe here we see the difference between boutique and niche .
  • Reply 192 of 1657
    <Sighs dejectedly and quits posting since everyone is ignoring his posts> The ADHD made me do it! I swear!

<and, yes, you are SUPPOSED to ignore THIS one. :P>
  • Reply 193 of 1657
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn

<inhales deeply> ahhhh, the fresh smell of $15 enclosures! takes me back to the Yongsan Electronics Market in Seoul, South Korea!

Let us not forget that if you know what you're doing, you can ALWAYS build a comp for much less than you can buy one. That's why I built my current PC five years ago. I've been upgrading it progressively since it's birth, and I can still manage to play the newest games on it, despite it's having a 1.4 P4 (socket 423, for those who know what it is) and only 512 MB of RAM.

And let me make clear at this point that I'll NEVER build my own pc from scratch again.

I've had nothing but trouble from this thing, partly due to windows, but mostly due to stupid little conflicts that occur between components that were only designed to work togeather in a very general sort of way. The wonderful advantage that Mac users have is that Apple VERY THOROUGHLY tests all of it's computers before releasing them to make sure that they work smoothly.

Remember, "Practice Safe HEX, and Avoid Computer Viruses Today!" (seen on a t-shirt from thinkgeek.com)

Er, um, these models come built, I think. Proudly assembled in the USA. No mus no fus, just order and a few days later it arrives at your door.

Also, the point of the links was not to suggest that Apple build clones of these, but that they could offer similarly spec.'d products or this might be a starting point for the spec.'s of an Apple designed machine in these approximate price ranges. I apologize if I didn't make this clear in my earlier post.
  • Reply 194 of 1657
    Quote:

Er, um, these models come built, I think. Proudly assembled in the USA. No mus no fus, just order and a few days later it arrives at your door.

Also, the point of the links was not to suggest that Apple build clones of these, but that they could offer similarly spec.'d products or this might be a starting point for the spec.'s of an Apple designed machine in these approximate price ranges. I apologize if I didn't make this clear in my earlier post.

sorry, didn't make clear what point I was trying to make. The components used in these boxes are very likely (read: almost certainly) picked because they are the cheapest ones of reasonable quality which meet the spec. requirements. meaning that they are more of a mish-mash than a computer made by Dell, Gateway, Apple or other major manufacturers would be. Its the same degree and quality of integration that I would get if I were to go read a bunch of articles on all the current tech, then go out and build a comp. piecmeal again, the way I did when I was in Korea. These are Cheap, reasonably powerful, and look like good buys, but, in my experience, which is not necessarily representative of reality, you end up paying a price in hassel and mental anguish in the long run. On my WindowsXP tower (what the original ME box mutated into after a plethora of upgrades) I have always had to reformat the hard drive on average every 3-6 months. Pretty much anytime I want to do something different, like, say, add a midi keyboard and midi sequencing software, I have to reinstall everything from scratch and remove nearly all the old software I had on it. Otherwise it WON"T WORK. Thats what I was referring to. as you can see, I am particularly skilled at confusing people.
  • Reply 195 of 1657
    Quote:

The components used in these boxes are very likely (read: almost certainly) picked because they are the cheapest ones of reasonable quality which meet the spec. requirements. ...

You maybe right, I don't know, I've never built a computer from scratch.

But, it uses

Intel cpu

Intel D975XBX motherboard based on Intel® 975X Express Chipset

supports Intel® Viiv? technology

ATI video card

Seems like they use mostly Intel components that should be very reliable. But still, this isn't the point. Point is Apple, should be able to provide a reliable, mid to upper end consumer desktop with similar spec's and make a very good profit.
  • Reply 196 of 1657
    Quote:

But, it uses

Intel cpu

supports Intel® Viiv™ technology

ATI video card

Seems like they use mostly Intel components that should be very reliable. But still, this isn't the point. Point is Apple, should be able to provide a reliable, mid to upper end consumer desktop with similar spec's and make a very good profit.

<nod> going with one manufacturer does tend to elmiminate problems. However, my box has:

Intel D850GB mobo

Intel P4 1.4GHz

I think Samsung RAMBUS RAM

Maxtor 60GB hd

LiteOn DVDR@)(&%)_@#*$(* whatever

have gone through 2 Samsung DVD/CD-RW combo drives, both died,

MSI DVD ROM drive

Iomega Zip drive

NO floppy drive, thankyou very much,

and various other components from reputable manufacturers.

So even having normally HQ hardware doesn't garuntee that everything will go smoothly.

Course, I can't count out the possibility that all my problems are due to PEBKAC, but I tend to think not. Specially when I see other people in computer labs getting violent with the PCs too.

And I'm sure that Apple could come out with an excelent box at a reasonable price. I'll not enter that debate. I think it would likely be quite a bit more than those examples though, due to Apple's nit-picking nature in regards to hardware design. Being anal-retentive necessarily restricts one from taking advantage of the best deals. Also, remember that its just plain goofy to sell something if there isn't much profit to be made (unless you're Walmart and you enjoy inducing stampeeds on the day after christmas, that is. )
  • Reply 197 of 1657
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

But, it uses

Intel cpu

supports Intel® Viiv? technology

ATI video card

<Bangs fist on table in agreement.>
  • Reply 198 of 1657
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

ok, guys, maybe yall missed this the first time I posted it, so I'll throw it up there again.

http://www.geocities.com/celemourn/headlessmac.jpg

Think it's funny huh? Well this one is for real:

http://www.geocities.com/celemourn/for-real.jpg

Anyone can get this. and that is the regular price, not the educational discount. Gets cheeper with edu pricing for those in school.

the MacPro does NOT cost $2499. Period. Might I remind everyone that it is downright goofy to buy loads of RAM and bigger HDs from the computer manufacturer? They get a LOT of profit from upgrades. With the MacPro, there's really no excuse for having Apple preconfigure it unless you are getting a LOT of them and just don't want the hassle.

A couple things here

1. You may be rich, but $2100 is a lot of money to spend on a computer.

2. It's a PROFESSIONAL WORKSTATION, not a desktop.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dinglewood

More shorter as my precendent message :

Has Switching + Bootcamp any sense without a mini-tower ?

Not really. You're just appealing the 4% who already use Macs and those with similar tastes. Despite what many around here think, Mac users do not have the majority opinion.
  • Reply 199 of 1657
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

the MacPro does NOT cost $2499. Period.

So? $2124 is still 266% of $799, which is the price of Apple's next cheapest headless desktop machine.
  • Reply 200 of 1657
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

So? $2124 is still 266% of $799, which is the price of Apple's next cheapest headless desktop machine.

I see where you are going with this and I agree with you. There is room for a midrange consumer tower in the $1200-1800 price range. Do I think Apple will intro a model like this? No. They probably fear that it would eat into iMac sales as has been pointed out by others. My hope is the Apple will at least make the iMac a good midrange machine by putting in a Conroe chips and giving it a decent graphics card. What I fear is that iMac gets Merom and performance stagnates over the next year or so untiol the Merom replacement comes. Even still if Apple persists in using a laptop chip in iMac it will have relatively weak performace in comparisson to other midrange desktops and users will be faced with choosing between way more than what they need (Mac Pro) or perhaps slightly less in iMac.