Jobs talks up Apple cell phone

124

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 93
    i would expect to be the same cost as a high end iPod



    spec i would expect:



    4gb hdd

    quad range

    WAP 2.0 compliant browser

    Personal Tools including Calendar with Scheduler, Alarm Clock, Notepad, plus World Clock, Calculator and Ez Tip Calculator tools.

    bluetooth

    no camera/or 2mp camera (who knows)

    and some other fruit



    why? while it is competeing in a mature market, apple needs to get consumers other than apple fans. they need to do this because like the iPod the market would be to small and prices to high other wise.



    the hdd size could be also 2gb: most likely i think



    but it would lauch with a ilife like suit for XP



    with:

    ical

    address book

    isnyc

    and others
  • Reply 62 of 93
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,509member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich


    ...Non-flip phones generally get more cracked/scratched screens, accidentally dial and are too large to fit small pockets.



    If you like non-flip style it's OK by me, but I wouldn't buy it.



    Never had any of those problems.



    For the screens there are screen protectors. They work well even with my Paslm phones, where writing on the screen is required.



    The phones never dial by themselves, because there is a lock on the keyboard.



    As far as them cracking, false. The flip phones break far more often. I see it here on the subyay all of the time. someone drops their phone, and the screen breaks off.



    Size is just a matter of preference, get a belt clip, or case, like so many of us have.
  • Reply 63 of 93
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,509member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog


    Don't worry about the price of the Apple phone. It won't be over priced, these people have that covered:



    http://www.vertu.com



    Note that none of their models are flip phones.



    I too was a hold out for many many years. Then my Dad got a family plan and put me, my wife and my sister on it. So now I have one. It's a Samsung flip and it's *ok*, but the OS is wretched. If I'm gonna have one I want it to be Applefied even if I hardly use it.



    Yeah, I'm 49 years old and my Dad pays for my cel phone. Isn't my Dad great?



    Your dad's great. It's you that we're worried about.
  • Reply 64 of 93
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,509member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by furious_


    i would expect to be the same cost as a high end iPod



    spec i would expect:



    4gb hdd

    quad range

    WAP 2.0 compliant browser

    Personal Tools including Calendar with Scheduler, Alarm Clock, Notepad, plus World Clock, Calculator and Ez Tip Calculator tools.

    bluetooth

    no camera/or 2mp camera (who knows)

    and some other fruit



    why? while it is competeing in a mature market, apple needs to get consumers other than apple fans. they need to do this because like the iPod the market would be to small and prices to high other wise.



    the hdd size could be also 2gb: most likely i think



    but it would lauch with a ilife like suit for XP



    with:

    ical

    address book

    isnyc

    and others



    I don't see why any of these phones have to come with a built-in HD. That just adds to the up-front cost.



    My Treo 700P takes a 2GB SD card. I bought a 50 speed one (overkill on speed) from newegg.com, for $41, which included $4.95 for 2 day shipping.



    While the Treo won't use more than 2GB, as far as I know, there is no reason why a phone couldn't use 8GB or more, as long as it used FAT 32.



    I'd rather be able to switch cards than have one HD. Apple, so far, hasn't shown an interest in having externally accessible cards plus the HD. So, I'd rather have the cards instead.
  • Reply 65 of 93
    the hdd drive for the iphone



    it almost has it have one in my mind. it has to be able to fill multi-able functions- mp3, phone, organiser, pager, pda and others. otherwise it is just another moblie phone. apple cannot do that. they want to be the best that is what i like about them



    no flames
  • Reply 66 of 93
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,509member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by furious_


    the hdd drive for the iphone



    it almost has it have one in my mind. it has to be able to fill multi-able functions- mp3, phone, organiser, pager, pda and others. otherwise it is just another moblie phone. apple cannot do that. they want to be the best that is what i like about them



    no flames



    My Treo has over 60 MB user space. More could be added. The space most needed is for data. SD cards, or others, are best for that. One 4Gb SD card rather than one 4GB HD would be better, don't you think?
  • Reply 67 of 93
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,509member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjk


    And which thread will your 5K'th post end up in, Mel?



    Hmm. I'm wondering what happened to my post numbers.
  • Reply 68 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross


    My Treo has over 60 MB user space. More could be added. The space most needed is for data. SD cards, or others, are best for that. One 4Gb SD card rather than one 4GB HD would be better, don't you think?



    apple like to control every thing remember?
  • Reply 69 of 93
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by West


    None of the mockus I've seen in the past couple years even come close to something that Apple would release. I also have a feeling it won't be a flip phone, that just wouldn't match the Apple aesthetic.



    I agree, even though I also appreciate the flip phone look, which protects and allows for a bigger screen without cause for a bigger phone. I think Apple will have to do something very different. They will approach this in a way that no other company has. That is the Apple way.
  • Reply 70 of 93
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    The release of a phone would explain what Jon Ive & his industrial design team has been doing, because he certainly hasn't been working on Mac hardware recently
  • Reply 71 of 93
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McCrab


    The release of a phone would explain what Jon Ive & his industrial design team has been doing, because he certainly hasn't been working on Mac hardware recently



    That is a good point, the only new piece of design has been the MacBook, but remember Ive and his team also help with the insides of the machines which have changed quite a lot. A new phone with a lovely Ive video to accompany would be fantastic.
  • Reply 72 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross


    Hmm. I'm wondering what happened to my post numbers.



    I agree. I thought that you had reached 5,000 posts already this week.
  • Reply 73 of 93
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Don't they occasionally have to sort out the post numbers because they get too high - as in the counter is slightly out.
  • Reply 74 of 93
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,509member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by furious_


    apple like to control every thing remember?



    Buit that's not an answer. The question was what is best, not what would Apple do.
  • Reply 75 of 93
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,509member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous


    I agree. I thought that you had reached 5,000 posts already this week.



    Yeah, strange, it should be around 5,015 to 5020 something or other. I'm just wondering if something happened to those posts, but there's no way I can go back and look, who remembers all of their posts?
  • Reply 76 of 93
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,509member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCrazy


    Don't they occasionally have to sort out the post numbers because they get too high - as in the counter is slightly out.



    It's never happened to me before. I don't remember anyone else mentioning it either. How would the counter go out? It should just tick when you post.
  • Reply 77 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross


    It's never happened to me before. I don't remember anyone else mentioning it either. How would the counter go out? It should just tick when you post.



    If a thread that you have posted in is deleted, your post count will go down. I believe a number of the more insane threads in the Temp. Insanity forum have been deleted rather than moved.
  • Reply 78 of 93
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,509member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution


    If a thread that you have posted in is deleted, your post count will go down. I believe a number of the more insane threads in the Temp. Insanity forum have been deleted rather than moved.



    Is this something new. Which thread was deleted, and why bother? No matter how insane, I would think that just for historical reasons you would want to keep it, even if you lock it.
  • Reply 79 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross


    Is this something new. Which thread was deleted, and why bother? No matter how insane, I would think that just for historical reasons you would want to keep it, even if you lock it.



    Yet again, I agree. There is a lot these forums have to offer history. Why delete it? I'm sure it doesn't take up that much space, unless of course it requires a lot more work to keep up the temp. insanity forum and all it's threads.
  • Reply 80 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous


    Yet again, I agree. There is a lot these forums have to offer history. Why delete it? I'm sure it doesn't take up that much space, unless of course it requires a lot more work to keep up the temp. insanity forum and all it's threads.



    For example:



    "Steve Jobs to release iToupé"

    "WWDC 2006 - AI UNOFFICIAL SUPER FAQ and PORN!"



    Lundy's your man to ask if you have specific concerns about any threads which may have been deleted in the TI forum. 99% of them were moved to the correct forums. The remainder were soft-deleted and I can resurrect them if need be.
Sign In or Register to comment.