What was your first Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After reading this thread:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=65936

it got the memories coming back to me of my Macs of years past. I think I remember seeing a thread about this a long time ago, but lets take another shot at it. It's nice to drudge up some old memories and see how far we've all come. A word of warning to the newer/younger Mac users out there...BEWARE...some of the specs you're about to hear may make you gasp. So with that in mind...

What was the first Mac that you remember owning?

Mine was a shiny new LC 475 that I got when I first started college (way back when...). Complete with a 25 Mhz processor, a 160 MB hard drive and 4 MB of RAM. Over the next couple of years I upgraded the RAM to 20 MB (huge!) and dropped in a 250 MB HD. I also got really fancy and bought one of the Apple add-on SCSI CD drives (complete with "the tray"). Add in a new Stylewriter 1200 and a 14" (I think?) color monitor and I was truly stylin'!

I loved the "sleek" design compared to my parents huge PC tower and the easy access to the guts of the machine. All you had to do was pop the back tabs and the whole top of the unit popped off. Really easy to drop in RAM or a new HD.

And speaking of my parents PC at the time...they had one that was manufactured by Canon (yes, the camera people). That was right around the time when every company on the planet seemed to be coming out with some kind of PC to grab a slice of the market. Then one by one they all dropped out (and for good reason, the "Canon" PC was a pile of garbage).

I later upgraded to the new Performa 630. It was a nice bump up and gave me native PowerPC support (plus a built in CD drive...no more tray!) but I will always has a soft spot in my heart for the LC 475. In fact...I picked one up a couple of years ago and still have it sitting my closet (much to the dismay of my girlfriend). It's nice to fire it up every now and then just to see how far we've come.

Who's next?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corkurk

What was the first Mac that you remember owning?

For christmas 1990, I got a Macintosh IIsi 5 MB RAM /40 MB harddrive, 20 MHz 68030 (later "overclocked" to 25 MHz, i.e. returned to original frequency of the chip) with a 13" RGB Display. A few months later, we added a Personal LaserWriter NT and a Microtek scanner.

In school, we used a bunch of Macintosh SE 1/20 (1 MB RAM, 20 MB harddrive, 800K floppy).
  • Reply 2 of 83
    I had an old Apple IIe that my parents got from the school. And I didn't get another one till my Performa 6400. I think my parents bought it at sears....
  • Reply 3 of 83
    Mac Classic in the early 90's if I remeber correctly... I was young and just remember the flying toasters from After Dark actually.
  • Reply 4 of 83
    timmmytimmmy Posts: 69member
    1986 or 87 we got a MacPlus with Imagewriter II.

Then a MacSE a few years later. Followed by a Performa 638CDV.

A G3 266 Desktop in 1997 or 98.

Currently using a Titanium PB 1Ghz which I bought in August 2003, right before they were replaced by the Aluminum PBs.

After 20 years of exclusive Mac use I am seriously thinking about switching to Windows...

I am tired of constantly running into web sites/online services that don't work on OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 83
    The first Mac I ever had was the one my Dad bought for the house: the original Macintosh, in all of its 8.1 MHz glory, with 128K of RAM (made into a Fat Mac later with a full *GASP* 1 MB of RAM). It had an internal floppy drive. He also got an external floppy drive, and an ImageWriter (Power to the DotMatrix!!)

Those were the days, when I thought MacPaint was so absolutely cool, and then my Dad bought me Dark Castle. Oh man, that brings back some fun memories. I never could beat the Black Knight though...

Then my Dad bought a Performa 6115CD, with a 4x CD-ROM, a 200 MB Hard Drive (I think), and he bought a SyGate EZDrive (I think) with 100 MB Disks. Ahh, those were the days. Our first fully color computer, with PPC 601 running at a whopping 60 MHz (I think). He later maxed the RAM on that bad boy to 32 MB, and put a G3 Upgrade card into it.

He finally gave me a machine of my own, a IIci with 20MB RAM, a 250 MB hard drive, an external CD ROM, a 13" monitor, and a 10BaseT ethernet card into it. I thought I was styling.

I then went professional, and fell to the Dark Side for some time. Approximately 7 years, I was using WinBlows shit. I was finally able to get my own machine (along with one for my wife and one for my kid). I now have my iMac G5 2.0GHz, 2 GB Ram, will all of the bells and whistles. Life is good now.

I just wish I could play Dark Castle again....
  • Reply 6 of 83
    timmmytimmmy Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston

I just wish I could play Dark Castle again....

This site claims to be developing an OS X version!

http://www.zsculpt.com/website/games/darkcastle3/
  • Reply 7 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcfsu

Mac Classic in the early 90's if I remeber correctly... I was young and just remember the flying toasters from After Dark actually.

After Dark....wow another memory that I had forgotten about. Nothing quite like toasters on your screen and Valkyries blasting out of your speakers.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timmmy

This site claims to be developing an OS X version!

http://www.zsculpt.com/website/games/darkcastle3/

Sadly, they've been claiming that since 2002.
  • Reply 9 of 83
    My first Mac was an SE in 1987, which I still have and fire up about once a year. Also bought a laserwriter at the same time.

Before that I had an Apple II clone, a Franklin 2400(?) with an additional CPM card.

I was also a Dark Castle addict. I came so very close to winning once but a snake or bat, can't remember which, got me at the last second.
  • Reply 10 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73

I was also a Dark Castle addict. I came so very close to winning once but a snake or bat, can't remember which, got me at the last second.

I always got nailed by his throwing of beer cans (for lack of better word). However, I always had like 6 - 10 antidotes on hand because of those blasted bats and rats.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder

Sadly, they've been claiming that since 2002.

Yep, and their demo doesn't even work with Tiger. Someone just needs to open source it, so it can get finished.
  • Reply 11 of 83
    SE in 1987. Then a Centris, G3 and G5.
  • Reply 12 of 83
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Dad bought an Apple IIe with twin disk drives and a dox matrix printer in the mid eighties. We then got a Mac SE/30 followed by a IIsi in the very early ninties. We then spent about ten years with Windows. I switched back to a G4 iBook in Sep of 2005. Next buy will be the updated Mini or a Pro Mac "Mini" (Steve willing).
  • Reply 13 of 83
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Performa 635CD > Performa 6116 > G4/400 > Dual 2.0 G5
  • Reply 14 of 83
    Performa 575 with 8MB of RAM. 33Mhz? I can't remember...

I must of spent hours playing "Glider Pro" on that thing. Some of the houses I made were LAVISH...

My most hated memory was the "launcher" application.

That thing deserved to burn in hell...
  • Reply 15 of 83
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    What's wrong with the launcher?
  • Reply 16 of 83
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I'm still a relatively newbie to the Mac scene compared to you folks. My first Mac was a Blue & White PowerMac G3 300Mhz.

My second Mac was a Quicksilver Dual 1GHz.

My current Mac is a Dual 2.7 PowerMac.
  • Reply 17 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate

I'm still a relatively newbie to the Mac scene compared to you folks. My first Mac was a Blue & White PowerMac G3 300Mhz.

My second Mac was a Quicksilver Dual 1GHz.

My current Mac is a Dual 2.7 PowerMac.

Some of us are getting old...\
  • Reply 18 of 83
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Me too. My first Mac was a B&W G3 450. Then a bondi iMac (just for kicks) a beat-up Wall-street 233 PowerBook, then a Quicksilver 867 (first new Mac)

Then the G3 and the PowerBook went to eBay and I bought an iBook G4 which promptly died after a mere 2 years. (no AppleCare naturally)

Now at work I also have a 1.9 17" iMac G5 and a 17" Core Duo iMac.
  • Reply 19 of 83
    regreg Posts: 832member
    My first Mac was at work, Classic 512 in 85. At that time my roommate had an Apple II and I had an Atari ST512. Favorite game at the time was Wizardry. There was one glitch that allowed you to change a bishop to a lord with with enormous powers. Those were some long nights.
  • Reply 20 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt

What's wrong with the launcher?

What's right with the launcher?