Microsoft leaks Windows Vista pricing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:

Exactly. why the frig do we care?

coz we wanna larf how windows users are being ripped off for a bug ridden, virus tainted OS, as you put it so well
  • Reply 22 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGrant

I know that WIndows Xp Home had almost no newtorking capabilities whatsoever which was a huge pain when I was a windows user. If you went to school or anything, you could not network easily, there were ways but it was a complete pain.

More specifically, the networking in XP Home is very basic. It works well for standard installations, but if you've got funky University firewalls and proxies and junk..... <shudder>

It does work. But like with everything on windows, don't try to do anything abnormal. Thinking Different Make XP Angry.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

I know someone's gonna bring up the ol' "but Apple has charged $129 for five updates for a grand total of $645 which is much more than Vista's Ultimate Edition"...

...but...here's the difference between Apple and MS:

Apple releases multiple updates in a 5 year time span essentially letting the consumer decide which ones to buy. The hardest of hardcore Mac fans will have paid for all 5 and have spent $645. Normal people, on the other hand, will probably have paid for 10.2 and 10.4. Or 10.0 and 10.3. Or just 10.3. Or just 10.4.

MS releases Vista five years after XP...so you can't really skip Vista, unless you want to be stuck with XP for another 3-5 years. And if you've been with XP for the past 2 years...we're looking at a 5-7 year span of time where your OS hasn't seen very many feature updates or brand new features.

Fun XP Home Fact:

Original install space requirement: ~500MB

After updating to SP2: ~5GB

Lovely.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn

Fun XP Home Fact:

Original install space requirement: ~500MB

After updating to SP2: ~5GB

Lovely.

Nonsense.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Nonsense.

why is this nonsense??
  • Reply 26 of 47
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:

Thinking Different Makes XP Angry.

• Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

why is this nonsense??

Uh, because the updates downloaded aren't exactly 9 times the size of the OS itself?
  • Reply 28 of 47
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Uh, because the updates downloaded aren't exactly 9 times the size of the OS itself?

I agree, my current notebook's Windows folder is 2GB. I don't know where 5GB came from though I did delete the old update files, it used to be 2.5GB. There may be some old system restore points floating around too.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:

Even still I think it is quiet humorous that for Windows you have to the folllowing:

- Windows Vista Home Basic $199

- Windows Vista Home Premium $239

- Windows Vista Business $299

- Windows Vista Ultimate $399

I mean come on that is freaking insane. Ok now for comparison on the Apple Operating System:

- OS X 10.4 $129.00

Now lets see we get everything for 129 where Windows users have to decide and for the basic version of Windows Vista you have to pay 70 dollars more for an OS that has less features than OS X 10.4

wow . . . .

-iGrant

Exactly right!

Where is the "VALUE" Gates is always talking about? Where is the "INNOVATION"? "VALUE" & "INNOVATION" are the cornerstone of all things Microsoft - or so we're often told. If Microsoft puts something on the shelf that someone else has already done...and charged LESS for it...how does "VALUE" & "INNOVATION" even factor into it?
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I agree, my current notebook's Windows folder is 2GB. I don't know where 5GB came from though I did delete the old update files, it used to be 2.5GB. There may be some old system restore points floating around too.

1. Reformat/repartition HD into two partitions, one for files and programs, and one strictly for Windows installation and page file.

2. Fresh install of XP Home, then update with Windows update.

3. Install Office and whatever other programs you need TO THE DATA PARTITION.

4. Begin getting constant Systray alerts that you only have 120MB left on C.

Actually, I even have my page file on a separate partiton. Windows partion is 5GB. I typically have between 120 and 800 MB of free space on that partition. Temp files, and, more importantly, the garbage that Windows stores as leftovers after doing a Service Pack install, make a huge gob of wasted space. System restore is disabled. All programs that I install are always changed from their default install location to the data partition.

http://www.geocities.com/celemourn/bloat1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/celemourn/bloat2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/celemourn/bloat3.jpg

This is with only minimal software installed. Add about another gig for the page file which is hiding on another partition. Subtract 474MB from the documents and setting folder in the pictures above, to account for some stuff in the MyDocuments folder I haven't filed away yet.

You can reduce the amount of space taken by removing as many windows components as possible, and by not installing any programs. Still obscene.

You decide.

***EDIT***

Oh, btw, Chucker's a liar! He said he was gonna block me!! <nyaaaa!>
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:

1. Reformat/repartition HD into two partitions, one for files and programs, and one strictly for Windows installation and page file.

2. Fresh install of XP Home, then update with Windows update.

3. Install Office and whatever other programs you need TO THE DATA PARTITION.

Uh, you cannot install Office exclusively to the data partition. You were speaking of XP Home in and by itself in the original post. Any app you install will obviously take up additional on your primary partition.

Sorry man, argument failed.

Quote:

Oh, btw, Chucker's a liar! He said he was gonna block me!! <nyaaaa!>

You still are blocked. I just occasionally peak through to get something to laugh at.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Those .jpgs were included for a reason. And I peek occasionally too. Despite being a dick, you do make some good posts on occasion.

Now, go examine those pictures, and then pull your foot out of you mouth.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I really don't know what you are doing, but I don't use Office anything. Office is not part of the Windows OS so I would not count that as part of the Windows "bloat" at all.

It looks like you can stand to lose Installer, Service Pack Files, the patch uninstall directories and downloaded installations, that will save 1.4GB right there, though I would do a system backup before trying that.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    Considering the amount of resources it took to get/getting vista out the door, it's going to need a lot of heavy handed pricing to balance the books.

This of course does not mean that value is reflected in price.

Though Microsoft expects that vista will last a good amount of time, so they can decrease prices in future/OEM licensing, etc to do a long term thing going.

The problem with this awful amounts of versions means that their cost saving in cutting corners is going to get bitten on the technical support end.

How many freaky version are they going to have to catagorize, fix, and cater to? The OEM alone are going to love the fact they have to keep so many images, and support them.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:

Even still I think it is quiet humorous that for Windows you have to the folllowing:

- Windows Vista Home Basic $199

- Windows Vista Home Premium $239

- Windows Vista Business $299

- Windows Vista Ultimate $399

I mean come on that is freaking insane. Ok now for comparison on the Apple Operating System:

- OS X 10.4 $129.00

Now lets see we get everything for 129 where Windows users have to decide and for the basic version of Windows Vista you have to pay 70 dollars more for an OS that has less features than OS X 10.4

wow . . . .

-iGrant

The article is slanted it doesn't compare upgrade to upgrade.

Upgrade versions based on the "leak" are as follows

Windows Vista Ultimate $349/$199

Windows Vista Business $269/179

Windows Vista Home Premium $239/$139

Windows Vista Home Basic $199/$99

First price is full version, second is upgrade. If you have media center of xp you have to upgrade to premium or higher. Basic does not include Aero. So the upgrade to Vista premium is on par with 10.4
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Then you fault your own arguement, since apple upgrade price is traditionally $79. They are comparing retail to retail, a liegit fact.

Retail and upgrade are very different beasts.

Trying to cut corners and get multiple upgrades instead of retail, may or may not suit ones needs.

In the respect

I'm not quite sure how vista upgrade functionality is, but it's traditionally not as easy as osx upgrade.

Apple(being that it doesn't really care so much ) upgrades is more a "simple check" forumla. You can literally install 10.3, and choose erase install in 10.4 upgrade.

Whether vista will have such a convient upgrade functionality will have to be trial by fire. Already the bastardized paths in Vista suggest some weirdness going on.

While it isn't a profitable thing for people to get an OEM home, then then buy an upgraded ultimate, It's almost daunting trying to support and clarify, and only enforces the "Empire of evil" attitude.

You can say Microsoft dug themselves into a hole with trying to spin off so many versions and paths.

There is a certain novelity in simplicity, such as apple's idea of "One leopard" after the split of PPC/Intel, x32/x64.

Your manufacture/support/proproganda/advertisment are all streamedline.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kuku

Then you fault your own arguement, since apple upgrade price is traditionally $79. They are comparing retail to retail, a liegit fact.

Mac OS X has no such thing as upgrade pricing. A Mac OS X license costs $129, unless you get discounts due to education or whatever. It's virtually always an upgrade anyway, since you can't legally install Mac OS X on a machine that didn't already ship with it.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:

Mac OS X has no such thing as upgrade pricing. A Mac OS X license costs $129, unless you get discounts due to education or whatever. It's virtually always an upgrade anyway, since you can't legally install Mac OS X on a machine that didn't already ship with it.

Sure there is. I got two. from 10.3 to 10.4. It was discontinued from production a while back due to the fact that there is enough for anyone that wanted it by now. And new macs come with 10.4 anyway.

The price was $79(back then).

look here

http://www.megamacs.com/v1/index.php...criteria=tiger
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Third-party deals and official upgrade offers aren't the same.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:

Third-party deals and official upgrade offers aren't the same.

My company brought 2 from Apple. I still probably have the invoice somewhere, if I look hard enough.