Microsoft's Zune said to be more bark than bite

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Best Buy, Target, Walmart and Amazon to name a few, and that's just the US chains.

Really? Cause http://musicdownloads.walmart.com/ looks an awful lot like Windows Media to me.

(No, retail doesn't count.)
  • Reply 42 of 71
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

(No, retail doesn't count.)

Why not? You stated no such restriction when you originally asked. It is music that is readily available, generally with no DRM. That, and used CD stores, is where I get my music.
  • Reply 43 of 71
    Quote:

Why not? You stated no such restriction when you originally asked. It is music that is readily available, generally with no DRM.

Because the original statement was:

Quote:

Wu sees the digital media player market as divided into two camps: iPod + iTunes and Windows Media.

Compact discs are a different market.
  • Reply 44 of 71
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I didn't know that CDs weren't digital media. Silly me.
  • Reply 45 of 71
    *throws towel*
  • Reply 46 of 71
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Quote:

If you're going to correct him on such counts, at least learn to spell units right. 30 Gb aren't even 4 GBs, so yes, a 30 Gb microdrive does exist.

Damn gigabits... Ok, ok, no such thing as a 240Gb microdrive 8)
  • Reply 47 of 71
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb

I think no matter how good a newly released mp3 player is today it is pretty much too late. The iPod has come to define mp3 player and hopefully Apple will keep on re-defining it. It's time for all these tech companies to put their brans and money into the next big thing.

By the same token, would you say that Windows has come to define desktop OS and Apple should put their brains and money into the next big thing?
  • Reply 48 of 71
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Why is it the more I hear about this product the less I like it. I suppose that's M$ for you in every category.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg

Ever heard of patents, Wu?

Perhaps instead of jumping in with glee with criticism, you could actually read the entire article, word, for word.

"Wu continues to believe that replicating the iPod + iTunes digital franchise is an extremely difficult endeavor in which most competitors are unlikely to succeed without infringing on Apple's patents."

Quote:

There is no such thing (please correct me if I am wrong) as a 30Gb microdrive. The biggest I know of is 8Gb. What world is Woo living on...?

Many people are referring to the iPods as having Micro drives, even though they aren't. Before the 1" form factor was released, the 1.8" drives were referred to that way.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    Quote:

Best Buy, Target, Walmart and Amazon to name a few, and that's just the US chains.

Jeff. you jnow he didn't mean that. Though, now he may say he did.
  • Reply 51 of 71
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbelkin

Every company has a culture. MS was built and brilliant at selling to Enterprise. That was considered "cool" ........

they do NOT know what they are doing?

*yes, linux is not a company but to MS, they considered it one.

What a great phukin post! Not sure how exactly true it is, but there has to some truth to it. I've never quite seen a post making this point. Mostly you get posts how Microsoft sucks and blows and stuff... which gets lame because obviously they are doing something right in the business world. I think jbelkin's post shows just how a very successfull company can be such as failure at the same time. Thanks.

IQ78
  • Reply 52 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1

"We find it interesting that Microsoft also opted to replicate an iPod-look like most others, but failed in replicating one of the key pieces of the unique iPod experience with its scrolling click-wheel and powerful catalog engine."

Isn't the click-wheel patented?

Re-read the article.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak

By the same token, would you say that Windows has come to define desktop OS and Apple should put their brains and money into the next big thing?

If you compare it to the OS market, it means that Apple won't get a marketshare in the high two digit range (though we can hope).
  • Reply 54 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Many people are referring to the iPods as having Micro drives, even though they aren't. Before the 1" form factor was released, the 1.8" drives were referred to that way.

Picking nits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microdrive

Quote:

The Microdrive is a brand name for a miniature 1-inch hard disk designed to fit in a Compact Flash (CF) Type II slot.

Microdrives*(1-inch drives) actually existed before 1.8-inch drives.
  • Reply 55 of 71
    Quote:

Picking nits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microdrive

Microdrives*(1-inch drives) actually existed before 1.8-inch drives.

I have the original one. But Wiki isn't totally correct either, as is usual. There are numerous errors in the article. The most glaring is the lack of updated info on flash drives. But, there are others as well.
  • Reply 56 of 71
    Quote:

And there's oh so many stores that sell such music, right?

Right?

Yeah.

brick and mortar stores. then you rip your own mp3s.
  • Reply 57 of 71
    Quote:

Perhaps instead of jumping in with glee with criticism, you could actually read the entire article, word, for word.

"Wu continues to believe that replicating the iPod + iTunes digital franchise is an extremely difficult endeavor in which most competitors are unlikely to succeed without infringing on Apple's patents."

Yes, I did read it all. Earlier in the article, Wu seems to wonder why they haven't copied the scroll wheel: "We find it interesting that Microsoft also opted to replicate an iPod-look like most others, but failed in replicating one of the key pieces of the unique iPod experience with its scrolling click-wheel and powerful catalog engine."

Maybe you should read and understand what people have written before trying to flame them.
  • Reply 58 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg

Yes, I did read it all. Earlier in the article, Wu seems to wonder why they haven't copied the scroll wheel: "We find it interesting that Microsoft also opted to replicate an iPod-look like most others, but failed in replicating one of the key pieces of the unique iPod experience with its scrolling click-wheel and powerful catalog engine."

Maybe you should read and understand what people have written before trying to flame them.

That's absurd. You fail to read, and understand the article, and when it's brought to your attention, you can't just say that you missed it?

You'll get a lot of that here. Get used to it.
  • Reply 59 of 71
    Quote:

That's absurd. You fail to read, and understand the article, and when it's brought to your attention, you can't just say that you missed it?

You'll get a lot of that here. Get used to it.

Actually, I read that part twice, to make sure that what I was writing was correct. To me, Wu seems to say "[MS] failed in replicating one of the key pieces of the unique iPod experience with its scrolling click-wheel", then later answers his own question by saying about patent infringement. I was simply wondering why Wu even thought about MS copying the click-wheel, when copying it would be obvious patent infringement.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ReCompile

And you work for M$. Right?

Do you get paid by the post?