Microsoft's Zune said to be more bark than bite

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    I think he's (Wu) saying he finds it interesting MS opted for a scroll wheel looking control, but one that doesn't work like a real one, rather than doing something different (not that they should have patent infringed). It does seem a pretty good way to draw attention to your weaknesses. It looks like an iPod but it doesn't work properly.
  • Reply 62 of 71
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Picking nits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microdrive

Microdrives*(1-inch drives) actually existed before 1.8-inch drives.

I thought one of the earliest uses promoted for the original PC Card slot was a 1.8-inch drive. I think they started with a 20MB capacity.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasondotcom

It looks like an iPod but it doesn't work properly.

Heheh! Reminds me of Vista, looks like OS X, but doesn't work properly.
  • Reply 64 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg

Ever heard of patents, Wu?

Most likely he has, considering he mentioned them in the sentence after the one you quoted.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1

Isn't the click-wheel patented?

And here's another one. Did AI update this article and add that next sentence later, or can people just not read?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I didn't know that CDs weren't digital media. Silly me.

I can't wait to see you try and insert a CD into an mp3 player.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

Most likely he has, considering he mentioned them in the sentence after the one you quoted.

As I said, why even mention copying the click-wheel if you're going to talk about patent infringements in the next sentence?
  • Reply 66 of 71
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

I can't wait to see you try and insert a CD into an mp3 player.

Well, you generally have to have the player connected to a computer anyways in order to move files to it so the difference isn't that significant.

If one wants an internet music file service that doesn't do DRM, there's eMusic. It won't have anything from the big music cartel though.
  • Reply 67 of 71
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Well, you generally have to have the player connected to a computer anyways in order to move files to it so the difference isn't that significant.

If one wants an internet music file service that doesn't do DRM, there's eMusic. It won't have anything from the big music cartel though.

There are many other online digital music stores that are legit and don't use any DRM that distribute non-mainstream electronic music. For DJs who use software playback devices DRM isn't supported. Serato Scratch Live is a popular one. Here are a few of the stores:

www.beatport.com

www.tidydigital.com

www.trackitdown.net

www.imodownload.com
  • Reply 68 of 71
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,576member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg

Actually, I read that part twice, to make sure that what I was writing was correct. To me, Wu seems to say "[MS] failed in replicating one of the key pieces of the unique iPod experience with its scrolling click-wheel", then later answers his own question by saying about patent infringement. I was simply wondering why Wu even thought about MS copying the click-wheel, when copying it would be obvious patent infringement.

What Wu is doing, is stating what is on everyone's mind. That MS (and others) have tried everything to take sales away from the iPod, but failed. That they are so overwhelmed by the lack of success, no matter how they try to differentiate themselves, that they have finally decided to at least copy the look, even if they can't copy the functionality. Then he points out, for those who might not realize it, and are wondering why no one has duplicated the actual click-scrollwheel, that Apple has it patented.

You would be surprised at just how many people ask why other companies don't make a scrollwheel as well.

While most people writing on web boards know this, most people do not.

That's why what these analysts say, seems obvious to us, even though it isn't. They aren't speaking to us, they are speaking to investors, who understand what the fundamentals of a company must be, but who are not technologically sophisticated.

Also, many people here make comments about what should be, only after the companies who track these matters release their data to the public?after their clients get the FULL reports, and have had time to digest them.

This information goes around the web sites so many times in a short while that people forget where they first saw it, and where it actually came from.
  • Reply 69 of 71
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,576member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hujib

There are many other online digital music stores that are legit and don't use any DRM that distribute non-mainstream electronic music. For DJs who use software playback devices DRM isn't supported. Serato Scratch Live is a popular one. Here are a few of the stores:

www.beatport.com

www.tidydigital.com

www.trackitdown.net

www.imodownload.com

That's very true, and I've looked at some of those sites, and others. But, when we speak of music, we speak of music that most people will want, and those sites have very little of that.

When I'm offered something that's free, and it happens on a regular basic because I'm on a lot of mailing lists from my businesses, I don't accept the offers if I don't want the product.

What good is music that has no DRM, if you don't want it?

The reason why this music has no DRM is because few people want it, and they are hoping that by having no DRM they will sell, or sometimes give away, more of the music then they otherwise would.

But the sales of those sites are miniscule compared to the DRM sites, even those that are not iTunes.

People with less desirable products have no choice but to give a better deal.

That's called competition.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ReCompile

Because it has popularity, does not mean it is good, or rightly.

What the heck does that MEAN?

Rightly?

Call me crazy, but calling a thing "rightly" means absolutely nothing to me. Is "rightly" not an adverb?

oh well. carry on.
  • Reply 71 of 71
    Coming Zune? Really?

I think this says it all...

www.leavingzune.com