Apple cell phone is real and ready for production - analyst

Comments

• Reply 41 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1

Let's hope it's not made out of the crappy, scratchy iPod Nano plastic

My guess is that it will use the metal housing we are hearing about the new Nanos having. If those go over well, expect the iPhone to follow. The new iPod/iPhone-look will be born Sept 12.
  • Reply 42 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman

My guess is that it will use the metal housing we are hearing about the new Nanos having. If those go over well, expect the iPhone to follow. The new iPod/iPhone-look will be born Sept 12.

Nano...iPhone...nano...iPhone... waitagoshdarnminute!... the nano is the iPhone! The iPhone is the nano! (smacks head with rubber hammer, falls on ground and runs in a circle á la Curly from the Three Stooges)
  • Reply 43 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Nano...iPhone...nano...iPhone... waitagoshdarnminute!... the nano is the iPhone! The iPhone is the nano! (smacks head with rubber hammer, falls on ground and runs in a circle á la Curly from the Three Stooges)

Finkle is Einhohorn.... Einhorn is a man!

<insert Crying Game them music here>
  • Reply 44 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Waking the Dead

Finkle is Einhohorn.... Einhorn is a man!

<insert Crying Game them music here>

• Reply 45 of 160
    God i hope the iPhone or whatever isnt a flop. I want for so much to have people really respect the iPhone. It seems silly to want this one product to succeed so much but it seems like if it flops its going to be a really big flop.
  • Reply 46 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa

God i hope the iPhone or whatever isnt a flop. I want for so much to have people really respect the iPhone. It seems silly to want this one product to succeed so much but it seems like if it flops its going to be a really big flop.

Trust me, if Virgin Mobile can succeed, Apple has millions of rabid fans (I'm one of 'em) ready to pounce on this when it's (possibly) announced.
  • Reply 47 of 160
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman

Come on folks, there has been nothing indicating that this is going to be announced next week. A matter-of-fact, it seems like it is likely 3-6 months away from going into production from reading Wu's remarks. Or did I miss something?

I am stupid.
  • Reply 48 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQ78

Come on folks, there has been nothing indicating that this is going to be announced next week. A matter-of-fact, it seems like it is likely 3-6 months away from going into production from reading Wu's remarks. Or did I miss something?

I am stupid.

I'd give 'em up to another year from now to allow a shakeout in the cell carrier biz, and time for them to build up their network (if they're going that route).
  • Reply 49 of 160
    Quote:

Trust me, if Virgin Mobile can succeed, Apple has millions of rabid fans (I'm one of 'em) ready to pounce on this when it's (possibly) announced.

VirginMobile sell multiple different phones from different manufacturers and contracts. There's not been a successful phone company built on selling just the one phone.
  • Reply 50 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

VirginMobile sell multiple different phones from different manufacturers and contracts. There's not been a successful phone company built on selling just the one phone.

Who says Apple will only sell one model of iPhone (if and when they decide to do such a thing)?
  • Reply 51 of 160
    Quote:

Who says Apple will only sell one model of iPhone (if and when they decide to do such a thing)?

Perhaps there's three different models. That's still about 50 less than any other company.

In Europe, they'll have to sell it through Vodaphone, Orange, O2, TMobile, Telefonica and all the other local providers or they'll otherwise have no high street presence. They'll HAVE to sell it with a contract from one of them also else they'll cost money. We're used to mostly free phones in the UK or at most maybe $100-150.

Why pay for an Apple phone when you can get SE P990i smartphones for free?
  • Reply 52 of 160
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Perhaps there's three different models. That's still about 50 less than any other company.

In Europe, they'll have to sell it through Vodaphone, Orange, O2, TMobile, Telefonica and all the other local providers or they'll otherwise have no high street presence. They'll HAVE to sell it with a contract from one of them also else they'll cost money. We're used to mostly free phones in the UK or at most maybe $100-150.

While I'm not familiar with that model, I would say that people would join up BECAUSE of Apple's phones. One doesn't need 50 different models to become successful.

Apple would be appealing to a select group of people. If they get a few million people to join a service, they could make a few billion a year. Over time they could add a few more models.

Creative, with its 30 or so mp3 player models, has only 4.3% share of the market. There is no safety in numbers.

I well understand that the phone business is different. But I doubt that Apple would expect to get more than a fraction of users.

The reason why manufacturers have so many models, and why phone companies do as well is because they are trying to get as many customers as possible. We know very well, every time we complain why Apple doesn't make the model we really, really want, that they are willing to give up customers who they think don't make up their demographic.
  • Reply 53 of 160
    Quote:

Ugh. I just looked at it http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?...=pp1&pid=10336

The reason you'd pay for the iPhone (over the above horror) would be thanks to beautiful, economical, intelligent design and ease of use. Not for a 15-in-1 combo corkscrew-phone-flosser.
  • Reply 54 of 160
    Quote:

Ugh. I just looked at it http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?...=pp1&pid=10336

The reason you'd pay for the iPhone (over the above horror) would be thanks to beautiful, economical, intelligent design and ease of use. Not for a 15-in-1 combo corkscrew-phone-flosser.

If it doesn't do all those functions that the p990 does, I'm not buying. Pretty would be nice too and I'm sure Apple could do a LOT better than Sony Ericsson there, but for a smartphone these days, the p990 is the one to beat. I've the earlier p910i and that is almost as good but needs wifi and push email support. UIQ 3 is quite a bit better than UIQ2 on my p910 too.

If Apple are just doing candybar non-smartphones then I've got my SE T610 still for when I don't need a smartphone.

Typically in the UK we have about 3 phones each for different occasions.
  • Reply 55 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Apple would be appealing to a select group of people. If they get a few million people to join a service, they could make a few billion a year. Over time they could add a few more models.

Possibly. But this isn't selling iPods. There's a whole extra infrastructure needed for a phone company, even if they're MVNOing someone else's phone company.
  • Reply 56 of 160
    Quote:

If it doesn't do all those functions that the p990 does, I'm not buying. Pretty would be nice too and I'm sure Apple could do a LOT better than Sony Ericsson there, but for a smartphone these days, the p990 is the one to beat. I've the earlier p910i and that is almost as good but needs wifi and push email support. UIQ 3 is quite a bit better than UIQ2 on my p910 too.

If Apple are just doing candybar non-smartphones then I've got my SE T610 still for when I don't need a smartphone.

Typically in the UK we have about 3 phones each for different occasions.

First of all, anything that complicated is not a smartphone as far as I'm concerned. Second, people use 3 different phones for different occasions? That is the clearest indicator yet of poor industrial/ergonomic design in the current market leader. Apple should be able to destroy 50% or better of the current phone makers.
  • Reply 57 of 160
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

......Why pay for an Apple phone when you can get SE P990i smartphones for free?

Because you're purchasing a Nano that has a phone in it. If you were planning on getting a Nano (and millions are and will be), why not pay a modest premium to have it be a phone?

Yes, entirely speculative as to form factor and pricing, but it makes sense: Apple will market this an iPod that has the killer feature of being a phone.
  • Reply 58 of 160
    Quote:

First of all, anything that complicated is not a smartphone as far as I'm concerned.

It's not complicated. It's one of the least complicated phones I've ever had. It's less complicated to use than a Nokia from 5-6 years ago.

Quote:

Second, people use 3 different phones for different occasions? That is the clearest indicator yet of poor industrial/ergonomic design in the current market leader. Apple should be able to destroy 50% or better of the current phone makers.

No. I have three phones.

1) SE p910i - Everyday phone that does everything.

2) SE T610 - It's small. It fits in my trouser pocket without looking like I've a hard on.

3) Nokia 6310i - It's battery lasts about 3 weeks and I can treat it like shit as it's old. It's the one that gets bashed about in the bottom of my Camelback when out biking.

Replace those three phones with iPod, iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle and perhaps you'll have more of a clue.
  • Reply 59 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Analysts for American Technology Research on Tuesday encourage investors to get aggressive in purchasing shares of Apple Computer prior to the launch of the company's much rumored iPod cell phone, which it says is likely to revolutionize the handset industry.

Three possibilities.

Wu's simply wrong.

Wu's right and has been told by Apple that it's ok to release this information.

Wu's right, Apple doesn't approve of the release of the news, and Wu's going to find it hard in the future to get the information he needs to accurately track the company.

Since I'm in the market for an Apple phone, i hope one of the latter two possibilities is accurate. But either way, this will be an interesting story in the business market.
  • Reply 60 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

Because you're purchasing a Nano that has a phone in it. If you were planning on getting a Nano (and millions are and will be), why not pay a modest premium to have it be a phone?

The SE P990i plays music too. So does the earlier P910i. SE's Walkman phones are pretty good music players. As good as a Nano IMHO. Plus you can stick MemoryStick cards in them so your storage potential is much greater.

This is what Apple will be increasingly up against as the technology from the smartphones trickles down to the cheaper phones. It won't be long before phones like this will be available on Pay-As-You-Go contracts here.