Apple quietly updates Mac mini line with faster chips

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Alongside a complete revamp of its iMac product line on Wednesday, Apple Computer also quietly updated its petite line of Mac mini desktop computers with faster Intel Core Duo processors at no additional cost.

The $799 model now includes a 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo processor, up from 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo processor. Meanwhile, the $599 model now includes a 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo processor, up from a 1.5 GHz Intel Core Solo processor.

Updates to the Mac mini line had previously been rumored, but a posting to an overseas Web site that suggested Apple would include a SuperDrive in the new low-end model now appears to be inaccurate. The 1.66GHz Mac mini continues to sport a slot-loading Combo drive.

Also on Wednesday, Apple today announced that it has transitioned its entire iMac line to Intel's new Core 2 Duo (Merom) processors, delivering up to 50 percent faster performance than the previous iMac Core Duo models. Additionally, a new 24-inch iMac with a stunning 24-inch widescreen was introduced into the iMac family.

The new iMac lineup includes four models: a 1.83 GHz and a 2.0 GHz 17-inch, a 2.16 GHz 20-inch and the all-new 2.16 GHz 24-inch iMac. The 17-inch iMac now starts at just $999 and the 20-inch model at just $1499.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    This is awesome, now I officially have a reason to get desktop Mac!

I'll probably choose the iMac, though.

(My Macbook and future iMac, now I have all my bases covered!)
  • Reply 2 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo

This is awesome, now I officially have reason to get desktop Mac!

I'll probably choose the iMac, though.

Yeah, at 999 for the low end 17 in. iMac model, the Mac Mini just doesn't much sense
  • Reply 3 of 58
    Nice to see the base model get dual cores, but I still want to see it drop back down to $499.

Disappointment on the high end, that's barely an improvement at all. Doesn't compare well with the iMac or Macbook.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    I am waiting to pick up the new high end mini. The Apple Store doesn't yet have it in stock. How many days does it typically take for their stores to receive the new products?
  • Reply 5 of 58
    What impresses me is that Steve isn't saving this stuff for his special event next week.

He must have enough other good stuff to feel he doesn't need these to WOW the audience.

I'm particularly surprised that the intro of the 24" iMac is without any fanfare.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    $999 for a desk top with gma 950 and laptop ram is a joke as well as forceing you to get a bigger screen to get a better video card on the high end and they still have laptop ram in them.

Where is the headless mac?
  • Reply 7 of 58
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon

as well as forceing you to get a bigger screen to get a better video card

I don't know where you get that from. They offer two 17" models, with or without dedicated graphics, and you get other upgrades with the dedicated graphics model too.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

$999 for a desk top with gma 950 and laptop ram is a joke as well as forceing you to get a bigger screen to get a better video card

I don't know where you get that from, they offer two 17" models, with or without dedicated graphics, and you get other upgrades with the dedicated graphics model too.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    I just went to Apple Store and configured similarly specd Mac mini and iMac.

Both have

512MB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x256

Intel GMA 950 graphics with 64MB of shared memory

160GB Serial ATA drive

Apple Remote (*not standard with iMac)

Apple Wired Keyboard & Mighty Mouse Kits (*not standard with mini)

The Mac mini has a................................................T he iMac has a...

1.83GHz Intel Core Duo.........................................1.83GH z Intel Core 2 Duo

SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)........24x Combo Drive (DVD-ROM, CD-RW)

Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0.............Built-in AirPort Extreme

.................................................. ............................17-inch widescreen LCD

Final price Mac mini:$1077.................................. iMac:$1028
  • Reply 10 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I don't know where you get that from, they offer two 17" models, with or without dedicated graphics, and you get other upgrades with the dedicated graphics model too.

You have to go to the 20" just to be able to pay more for more vram or go to the 24" to be to pay more for a GeForce 7600 GT and a desk top at $2000 with a laptop cpu and ram is a joke.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    Quote:

You have to go to the 20" just to be able to pay more for more vram or go to the 24" to be to pay more for a GeForce 7600 GT and a desk top at $2000 with a laptop cpu and ram is a joke.

It's not a joke. You look at Macs and try to squeeze them into your box. That doesn't work at all. What you should be doing is looking at how well Macs do what they're meant to do and whether what it does is worth the money.

An iMac has the benefit of being 1-2-3 set-up with a built in monitor - which is a nice plus if you're not a computer person. You don't have to worry about getting a monitor or speakers or keyboard/mouse separately. It also minimizes the amount of space on the desk. All of these are major factors if you're a home user. What sells it is that you spend $1500 for a 20" iMac with x1600 and you get a mid-range processor (it's a Core 2 Duo > 2 GHz), a decent HDD w/ a gig of RAM. You also get a 20 inch screen ($300 value), ok speakers (a $20 value), and a webcam ($40-50). That compares well to a 2.13 GHz Conroe system if you would use the monitor and webcam.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    What's funny is now that there is a core duo on the low end mini it no longer offers you the option of adding a superdrive for $50. Goddamn it apple I love you but I hate you.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Buddy like jeff said there are TWO 17" imacs now one with dedicated vram and one without.

Nothing major changed in the 17" all they did was add the 17" education model to the line up.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    I have to be honest, this minimal update leaves me wondering if they're looking to kill off the mini.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    PMJOE,

Yeah, that was a 'freescale' type update wasn't it. Hardly worth the wait. Wish Apple would have dropped the prices a bit as well. Oh well I guess I expect to much.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Yeah, that was a 'freescale' type update wasn't it. Hardly worth the wait. Wish Apple would have dropped the prices a bit as well. Oh well I guess I expect to much.

Well, to me it suggests a different level of commitment to the iMac than the mini, though the iMac update wasn't anything huge either (but at least there was some design effort involved, not just dropping in new chips).

I also think Apple constrained themselves with the size of the mini. An inch bigger in one direction and a half inch in another probably opens up all kinds of options that are really difficult in the current size constraints. I mean their isn't even room for more ports on the back if they thought it was necessary, use cheaper 3.5" drives, or you could design the same motherboard to handle a couple of graphics chip options. Or just extra space for a hotter CPU.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe

Well, to me it suggests a different level of commitment to the iMac than the mini, though the iMac update wasn't anything huge either (but at least there was some design effort involved, not just dropping in new chips).

I also think Apple constrained themselves with the size of the mini. An inch bigger in one direction and a half inch in another probably opens up all kinds of options that are really difficult in the current size constraints. I mean their isn't even room for more ports on the back if they thought it was necessary, use cheaper 3.5" drives, or you could design the same motherboard to handle a couple of graphics chip options. Or just extra space for a hotter CPU.

Why not use Core 2 chips since intel priced them the same as core duos were when the intel mini was introed? If core duos are cheaper in price (more likely IMO) why not pass some savings on to the consumer? The imac got a better chip, a faster clock speed and the 17" and 20" got price drops. I would have preferred conroe but all in all a pretty solid upgrade for iMac. The mini OTOH...
  • Reply 18 of 58
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Joe you are turning out to be the kind who complains no matter what.

The logic is not that difficult to grasp. Its more likely the majority of people who would care about a more expensive dedicated graphics card would also want a larger screen and faster processor. Ergo the 24" configuration.

People who care more about price would care less about dedicated graphics and screen size. Which would be the far majority of the computer market, ergo the IG 17" configuration.

There probably is the odd ball out there who would like to have a 13" monitor with the latest card, but that's not representative of the majority.

I do agree though that Apple should lower to price of the mini. Its not at all a good deal in comparison with the $999 iMac now.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

What impresses me is that Steve isn't saving this stuff for his special event next week.

He must have enough other good stuff to feel he doesn't need these to WOW the audience.

I'm particularly surprised that the intro of the 24" iMac is without any fanfare.

He will probably demo his movie store with these machines, and doesn't want to waste time going over the specs.
  • Reply 20 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

Joe you are turning out to be the kind who complains no matter what.

The logic is not that difficult to grasp. Its more likely the majority of people who would care about a more expensive dedicated graphics card would also want a larger screen and faster processor. Ergo the 24" configuration.

People who care more about price would care less about dedicated graphics and screen size. Which would be the far majority of the computer market, ergo the IG 17" configuration.

There probably is the odd ball out there who would like to have a 13" monitor with the latest card, but that's not representative of the majority.

I do agree though that Apple should lower to price of the mini. Its not at all a good deal in comparison with the $999 iMac now.

there are a majority of people who have a good monitor and want a mac but need more power then a mini but don't need the power of a mac pro.