Showtime event 'just the start' of Apple CE push

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 63
    With a Bluetooth headset on, frequently.



    If you feel the need to vent yourself by calling me junior, enjoy it.



    I wasn't taunting anyone at all - it was a tacit admission that my post may have been slightly inflammatory. Clearly I'll need to be a bit more overt next time I post a response to a message from your good self.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich


    Um,... when's the last time you walked around your house with your iChat phone?







    Taunting others on this board will get you nowhere, junior.



  • Reply 22 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deckard


    With a Bluetooth headset on, frequently.



    If you feel the need to vent yourself by calling me junior, enjoy it.



    I wasn't taunting anyone at all - it was a tacit admission that my post may have been slightly inflammatory. Clearly I'll need to be a bit more overt next time I post a response to a message from your good self.



    I'll give you a point in your favor (for your alias), but don't post flamebait and then act coy about it. That bullshit doesn't fly.



    Quote:

    Don't know about that - VoIP? Where on Earth did you get that idea??? Why would Apple produce a VoIP phone? That makes zero sense given iChat IS a VoIP phone/video conf product!



  • Reply 23 of 63
    Chucker,



    I think it's pretty clear from my other posts what was meant. I didn't actually say that iChat was a phone did I? No, I said that it utilised VoIP, and it does.



    What's your point?



    You may find my other post on why a hybrid VoIP/GSM handset isn't currently an option. If you'd like technical material to review, please let me know (along with an address to forward) and I'll be more than happy to send some through to you.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker


    You can call a number with iChat? People with phones can call you on iChat?



  • Reply 24 of 63
    SpamSandwich,



    You'll give me a point in my favour? Wow, how very condescending of you.



    As for 'flamebait', I simply mirrored what has been posted here a thousand times over when admitting that a post is controversial.



    As for being coy, I've never been accused of being that in my life! I have however been accused of being direct, analytical, cold, logical and abrupt. Coy? No, I don't think that's the word you were really looking for. Have a think about it and get back to me.



    Please don't make the mistake of thinking that simply because I don't have a lot of posts to this forum that I am A). Young/Stupid/Naive/Ignorant etc or B). That I haven't been reading the posts for several years. If you did that you'd be wrong on both counts.







    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich


    I'll give you a point in your favor (for your alias), but don't post flamebait and then act coy about it. That bullshit doesn't fly.



  • Reply 25 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich


    Well, if rumors prove correct, they are venturing into:



    1. Cell phones/possibly VOIP phones

    2. Video on demand / Television

    3. They've already made minor inroads into stereo equipment

    4. What else...?





    4. Alarm Clock (guess how many buttons it has?)

    5. iFrame - digital picture frame

    6. eBook - eInk PDF reader with content available through online store.

    7. iPod car stereo - available from major car manufacturers in new cars

    8. digital scale - records your weight and body fat and allows you to track it using your Mac

    9. telephone answering machine.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    Deckard, as in Rick Deckard? What's condescending about that. I happen to love Bladerunner.



    Heh, heh. "Cold, analytical, logical, abrupt"? Whatever.



    I don't care to get into a tussle over your lack of tact, deckard. So please stop wasting our time. If you want to make a point, fine, but instantly putting yourself on everyone's "naughty" list right off the bat doesn't seem like a very "logical" thing to do.



    Play the part of the troublemaker later, after you've contributed something to the discussion. Take Johnny Mozzarella... that guy's just funny...
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deckard


    SpamSandwich,



    You'll give me a point in my favour? Wow, how very condescending of you.



    As for 'flamebait', I simply mirrored what has been posted here a thousand times over when admitting that a post is controversial.



    As for being coy, I've never been accused of being that in my life! I have however been accused of being direct, analytical, cold, logical and abrupt. Coy? No, I don't think that's the word you were really looking for. Have a think about it and get back to me.



    Please don't make the mistake of thinking that simply because I don't have a lot of posts to this forum that I am A). Young/Stupid/Naive/Ignorant etc or B). That I haven't been reading the posts for several years. If you did that you'd be wrong on both counts.



    go away.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deckard


    Don't know about that - VoIP? Where on Earth did you get that idea??? Why would Apple produce a VoIP phone? That makes zero sense given iChat IS a VoIP phone/video conf product!



    Video on Demand - let's get this right: buying a video and downloading it from the Internet is NOT Video on Demand! Traditionally, Video on Demand has been the domain of Intranets due to the sizes of files involved and the STREAMING nature of the product. What Apple MAY offer is a download service for video... and that's all.



    Stereo equipment? Ah, no, not really. They made the iPod Hi-Fi, but that's not really 'stereo' is it? It's a single speaker with multiple cones - stereo is two speakers (with or without multiple cones) placed a distance apart (normally twice the distance that they are from the rear walls) to achieve 'stereo' separation. Can't really do that with a iPod Hi-Fi.



    So, you got 1. half right - and even that is only a guess by 'informed' sources - informed may be, but a guess none the less.



    What is Apple going to release? Who knows! One thing you can be absolutely sure of though is that some people are going to be really, really upset that Apple didn't release product XYZ that they've been waiting soooooo long for.



    Like the previous post about the person almost demanding a new MBP! How funny is that! They were only released earlier this year, they've already been updated and yet some people STILL aren't happy! I'd have to ask: what, exactly, are you going to do with all that computational power? Are you actually waiting for the 64 bit processors to be implemented because you use scientific software or mathematical software that would really benefit? Or are you just wanting faster, faster, faster for the sake of it? If you're really going to use it then I can understand your wanting an update - but somehow I doubt that the current MBP is really too slow for your needs.



    Feel free to flame me, I'm a big boy and I've been flamed by the best!



    I can tell you that the "stereo" from the iPod HiFi is surprisingly good. The quality of the sound is also.



    I understand someone wanting to wait for the newest, if there is a significant upgrade, which there might be, other than just the faster Merom's. Don't forget that there is a speed bump involved with those chips, and they are somewhat faster GHz for GHz as well. Possibly a new graphics chip. Maybe even (fingers crossed) external SATA, without having to use the Express slot.



    If they don't need a new machine right this minute, it does pay to wait. They will be getting more machine for the money, and it won't be too long.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    And you're quite right - 'stereo' from the iPod hi-fi is fantastic. I bought one and am very, very happy with it.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross


    I can tell you that the "stereo" from the iPod HiFi is surprisingly good. The quality of the sound is also.



    I understand someone wanting to wait for the newest, if there is a significant upgrade, which there might be, other than just the faster Merom's. Don't forget that there is a speed bump involved with those chips, and they are somewhat faster GHz for GHz as well. Possibly a new graphics chip. Maybe even (fingers crossed) external SATA, without having to use the Express slot.



    If they don't need a new machine right this minute, it does pay to wait. They will be getting more machine for the money, and it won't be too long.



    sure, you're quite right. My original point was simply that if you have a pressing need and there's a machine that's going to fill that need, then it's really a waste to wait for what might be... but if you have the time by all means keep waiting.



    But when do you stop waiting and just jump in and purchase? Right at the start of a product life with Rev A hardware? And wear the risks associated with that? Maybe. I don't know - I just buy machines as I need them and try not to play the waiting game. But that's just me.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich


    Deckard, as in Rick Deckard? What's condescending about that. I happen to love Bladerunner.



    Heh, heh. "Cold, analytical, logical, abrupt"? Whatever.



    I don't care to get into a tussle over your lack of tact, deckard. So please stop wasting our time. If you want to make a point, fine, but instantly putting yourself on everyone's "naughty" list right off the bat doesn't seem like a very "logical" thing to do.



    Play the part of the troublemaker later, after you've contributed something to the discussion. Take Johnny Mozzarella... that guy's just funny...



    Clearly you people (or at least those with negative outlooks) either don't enjoy logical contributively constructed posts or you just don't like anyone that's 'new' to your happy little home.



    And that's fine and dandy.



    As for Wilco's request, I'm quite happy to honour it.



    If this is the level of minds that enjoy Apple products then Apple is obviously in a lot of trouble.



    I have more than 25 years experience in both IT and Telecommunications. I hold a PhD from Cambridge in Telecommunications engineering and design. Perhaps some of you could learn something.



    However you've made it clear that you feel I've not contributed to this forum during my brief sojourn. I would disagree.



    It appears that you, SpamSandwich, simply don't like people who disagree with your rather bombastic views. You ARE condescending (and it's a real shame that you can't see just how condescending you actually are), you appear from your previous posts to be quite ignorant of both the commercial & technical aspects of most of the topics you hold forth on, and you have a very narrow world view.



    I would be forced to assume that you're a rather standard example of white middle America - if you're not American then you're from a country that sadly imitates the supposed 'culture' and 'attitudes' of the US (or at least the worst parts of that country).



    And so you'll most likely be glad to see the back of me - especially you Wilco.



    Enjoy your forum and do try to be a little more tolerant of contrasting views won't you.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    OMG ROTFLMAO!!!
  • Reply 32 of 63
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deckard


    And you're quite right - 'stereo' from the iPod hi-fi is fantastic. I bought one and am very, very happy with it.



    sure, you're quite right. My original point was simply that if you have a pressing need and there's a machine that's going to fill that need, then it's really a waste to wait for what might be... but if you have the time by all means keep waiting.



    But when do you stop waiting and just jump in and purchase? Right at the start of a product life with Rev A hardware? And wear the risks associated with that? Maybe. I don't know - I just buy machines as I need them and try not to play the waiting game. But that's just me.



    This is always a problem.



    My saga, ever since I retired, has been different from what I used to do for my company, which was to buy what we needed, as we needed it, unless new machines were coming out just as our buying needs approached.



    But now, for myself, things have changed.



    I was going to buy the G5 quad last January. I don't buy a machine when it first comes out, and I wanted to see what Apple had to say during Macworld.



    Oops! Good thing I waited. Instead of late 2007, they announced that the Tower would be out later this year.



    I'm now going to buy one in January.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella


    6. eBook - eInk PDF reader with content available through online store.



    That's the next logical step.



    Apple sells already sells laptops to schools by the thousand. When the right screen tech becomes available, it only makes sense to sell the textbooks pre-loaded on them.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    I rather like the idea of an iChatterBox - iChat enabled internet phone with video capabilities.



    I also would like to see an eBook done well. They can sell a thousand iPod Shuffles (updated form though) to every library in America for cheap and easy books-on-tape. They could also sell hundreds of eBooks to every university/college library.



    I have never been a setbox kind of person, the whole thing is expensive and clunky, but I'm starting to think that it might be a good idea to give Apple a presence in the living room without the computer and with Front Row accessing the music and video stores.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deckard


    Brently,



    I didn't criticize you, I simply said that the current MBP - that would be the one that IS available, that you CAN currently buy - is a perfectly good machine to do everything that everyone could want - with the possible exception of heavy duty scientific requirements. I don't call that criticizing you, I call that a fact.



    I don't blame you for wanting the latest - ...



    Personally... I think waiting for 64bit is a VERY legitimate reason before upgrading. I feel after having a 64bit cpu it won't be as bad of a turn over. But remember that apps in Leopard may fully utilize the 64bit registers (depending on the app)... this is really the first popular OS to do such a thing.



    Also... the graphics in the MBP aren't the greatest. Once these machines get something better than an x1600 mobile and a 64bit cpu (merom obviously), then count me in. But at this point... I feel buying a 32bit machine for longevity isn't the wisest decision. Leopard will finally use this power... so why not wait a few more days?
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Deckard is a Fun Buster,



    and I want a MBP when the new one comes out too.
  • Reply 37 of 63
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Where is Rolo..bring him back to tell us about the HDTV's
  • Reply 39 of 63
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    A triple band mobile phone with VOIP when I'm in WiFi range makes perfect sense to me. One would expect Apple to try and cut through the nonsense of mobile services and just make it work". Why not 2.8 GHz and a base station for landlines while we are at it?



    "Just Connect"
  • Reply 40 of 63
    HOW fucking obvious is it that this "analysis" from these "analysts" is to push the share price up to $90 towards the end of christmas frenzy???
Sign In or Register to comment.