Showtime event 'just the start' of Apple CE push

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 63
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman


    HOW fucking obvious is it that this "analysis" from these "analysts" is to push the share price up to $90 towards the end of christmas frenzy???



    Me and my shares don't mind.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker


    Me and my shares don't mind.



    Touche. Just remember to pull out at $90..!! Don't be greedy. Ah, whatever. AAPL seems unstoppable in the long term
  • Reply 43 of 63
    Split at $100 to be announced in a few months time?
  • Reply 44 of 63
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman


    Split at $100 to be announced in a few months time?



    As my dear old Grandma used to say "iPhone in Jan, stock split in June"



    Wow you're quick on the 'TubePort' meme Suni
  • Reply 45 of 63
    It doesn't matter how smart you are, people won't listen to you if they choose not to. Some benefited from your post though, like myself. I've been a member for years, visit daily, but rarely ever make any posts. Return with me to the comfy enlightened plain of observation until you are needed again.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deckard


    Clearly you people (or at least those with negative outlooks) either don't enjoy logical contributively constructed posts or you just don't like anyone that's 'new' to your happy little home.



    And that's fine and dandy.



    As for Wilco's request, I'm quite happy to honour it.



    If this is the level of minds that enjoy Apple products then Apple is obviously in a lot of trouble.



    I have more than 25 years experience in both IT and Telecommunications. I hold a PhD from Cambridge in Telecommunications engineering and design. Perhaps some of you could learn something.



    However you've made it clear that you feel I've not contributed to this forum during my brief sojourn. I would disagree.



    It appears that you, SpamSandwich, simply don't like people who disagree with your rather bombastic views. You ARE condescending (and it's a real shame that you can't see just how condescending you actually are), you appear from your previous posts to be quite ignorant of both the commercial & technical aspects of most of the topics you hold forth on, and you have a very narrow world view.



    I would be forced to assume that you're a rather standard example of white middle America - if you're not American then you're from a country that sadly imitates the supposed 'culture' and 'attitudes' of the US (or at least the worst parts of that country).



    And so you'll most likely be glad to see the back of me - especially you Wilco.



    Enjoy your forum and do try to be a little more tolerant of contrasting views won't you.



  • Reply 46 of 63
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nmcphers


    It doesn't matter how smart you are, people won't listen to you if they choose not to. Some benefited from your post though, like myself. I've been a member for years, visit daily, but rarely ever make any posts. Return with me to the comfy enlightened plain of observation until you are needed again.



    For a "Big boy" that got "flamed by the best" he sure bailed fast from some rather tepid flaming. No stones despite all his "credentials" which means squat on the internet. I could say that I have a PhD from MIT and 30 years experience. So what?



    What matters is what you write...and frankly he didn't sound all that smart to me and I'd have expected a little more grit from a "Cambridge alum" instead being a total mardarse.



    On topic, a wireless VOIP phone that doesn't suck would be welcome and 64bit is nice little bump on the intel architecture and more future proof than 32 bit. More memory will keep a sluggish platform alive a little longer. Yes, i own a MBP and it is very nice.



    Vinea
  • Reply 47 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deckard


    If this is the level of minds that enjoy Apple products then Apple is obviously in a lot of trouble.



    I have more than 25 years experience in both IT and Telecommunications. I hold a PhD from Cambridge in Telecommunications engineering and design. Perhaps some of you could learn something.

    ...



    I would be forced to assume that you're a rather standard example of white middle America - if you're not American then you're from a country that sadly imitates the supposed 'culture' and 'attitudes' of the US (or at least the worst parts of that country).



    And that, my friends, was NOT THE LEAST BIT condescending... :-)
  • Reply 48 of 63
    While I regard both you and SpamSandwich as petty disputants, you are certainly a standard example of a pompous ass. Why don't you take your class-warfaring self back to middle white England and peddle your ego there? Your PhD may elevate your status amongst your curtish brethren, but you're not apt to find equal favour within the populace.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deckard


    Clearly you people (or at least those with negative outlooks) either don't enjoy logical contributively constructed posts or you just don't like anyone that's 'new' to your happy little home.



    And that's fine and dandy.



    As for Wilco's request, I'm quite happy to honour it.



    If this is the level of minds that enjoy Apple products then Apple is obviously in a lot of trouble.



    I have more than 25 years experience in both IT and Telecommunications. I hold a PhD from Cambridge in Telecommunications engineering and design. Perhaps some of you could learn something.



    However you've made it clear that you feel I've not contributed to this forum during my brief sojourn. I would disagree.



    It appears that you, SpamSandwich, simply don't like people who disagree with your rather bombastic views. You ARE condescending (and it's a real shame that you can't see just how condescending you actually are), you appear from your previous posts to be quite ignorant of both the commercial & technical aspects of most of the topics you hold forth on, and you have a very narrow world view.



    I would be forced to assume that you're a rather standard example of white middle America - if you're not American then you're from a country that sadly imitates the supposed 'culture' and 'attitudes' of the US (or at least the worst parts of that country).



    And so you'll most likely be glad to see the back of me - especially you Wilco.



    Enjoy your forum and do try to be a little more tolerant of contrasting views won't you.



  • Reply 49 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker


    Me and my shares don't mind.



    Good point anyway.

    Btw, the iTunes Store is ... offline
  • Reply 50 of 63
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vox Barbara


    Good point anyway.

    Btw, the iTunes Store is ... offline



    So are all Apple Stores.
  • Reply 51 of 63
    An Apple iPhone with mobile iChat functionality is perfectly possible now using the existing 3G mobile phone networks. I'm not sure Apple will launch it though as it's been available in the UK for the past year or two but has not proved very successful because the bandwidth and speed just isn't good enough to produce a compelling user experience. If Apple can find a way around this (maybe WiFi hotspots) then I don't see why this wouldn't sell.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OfficerDigby


    MacToilet/iPoop

    Seat heating with Core duo. iPod Phones included with iTunes streaming from you know where. Available in traditional white (watch for staining) and black matte for an extra few $$!.



    If folks are really gonna be using these little gems in the can, perhaps springing for the black matte finish is the way to go.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OfficerDigby


    MacToilet/iPoop

    Seat heating with Core duo. iPod Phones included with iTunes streaming from you know where. Available in traditional white (watch for staining) and black matte for an extra few $$!.



    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
  • Reply 54 of 63
    Okay, clearly I've not been obvious enough with the frigtards on this 'forum'... so here's the scoop for all you whinging idiots that don't seem to be able to understand the concept of Pie In The Sky -



    You're not going to get a 'Triple band mobile phone with VoIP...' for all of the reasons I've outlined above... if you can't be bothered reading the posts then I'll repeat them here:



    Not anywhere near enough hotspots geographically and not enough diversity of location.



    Poor or non-existent interoperability between wi-fi vendor hardware/firmware. Yes, they're all in the 802.1x IEEE standards (or, at least, they should be), but they all add little things like '802.11+' as seen with Netgear products etc. So, the net effect is: not enough interoperability between hotspots.



    No QoS implementation. None. And, after all, it's just a data hotspot so why would the owner implement QoS? They don't. They won't. There's no commercial reason for them to do so.



    No way to bill for the service - if you're roaming onto various hotspots around your town or city how are the owners of those hotspots - remember them? They're the ones that are paying the data usage charges/connectivity charges - how are they going to bill you for using their service? On that note - how are you going to be authenticated? Are you just going to stop talking, hang up and re-authenticate every time you move to a new hotspot?



    And probably the biggest one of all: Where is the profit in this for business? Telco's hate VoIP because it eats away at their traditional revenue base. A VoIP/GSM hybrid network would be VERY costly to implement (given the radio footprint of Wi-Fi hotspots, the limited access to other wireless data technologies like EV-DO or WiMax), almost impossible to bill - actually, it would be impossible to bill unless the entire network was operated by a single entity - and not generate anywhere near enough revenue to warrant construction in the first place.



    So, you have a solution that:
    • Has no existing integrated infrastructure support.

    • Very low interoperability for voice hand-over between disparate vendor hardware.

    • Zero QoS.

    • No way to bill.

    • And it's not very profitable.

    Yeah, that's a technological solution that should fly.



    For the love of God, GROW UP PEOPLE. It's not going to happen just because you want it to happen. Christ, I want a rocket ship and free flights to the moon. When I was a kid I through that humans would be living on the moon by now. Guess what - we're not, and me wishing for it didn't make it happen. Something just aren't going to happen no matter how much you want them to.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57


    A triple band mobile phone with VOIP when I'm in WiFi range makes perfect sense to me. One would expect Apple to try and cut through the nonsense of mobile services and just make it work". Why not 2.8 GHz and a base station for landlines while we are at it?



    "Just Connect"



  • Reply 55 of 63
    Okay, clearly I've not been obvious enough with the frigtards on this 'forum'... so here's the scoop for all you whinging idiots that don't seem to be able to understand the concept of Pie In The Sky -



    You're not going to get a 'Triple band mobile phone with VoIP...' for all of the reasons I've outlined above... if you can't be bothered reading the posts then I'll repeat them here:



    Not anywhere near enough hotspots geographically and not enough diversity of location.



    Poor or non-existent interoperability between wi-fi vendor hardware/firmware. Yes, they're all in the 802.1x IEEE standards (or, at least, they should be), but they all add little things like '802.11+' as seen with Netgear products etc. So, the net effect is: not enough interoperability between hotspots.



    No QoS implementation. None. And, after all, it's just a data hotspot so why would the owner implement QoS? They don't. They won't. There's no commercial reason for them to do so.



    No way to bill for the service - if you're roaming onto various hotspots around your town or city how are the owners of those hotspots - remember them? They're the ones that are paying the data usage charges/connectivity charges - how are they going to bill you for using their service? On that note - how are you going to be authenticated? Are you just going to stop talking, hang up and re-authenticate every time you move to a new hotspot?



    And probably the biggest one of all: Where is the profit in this for business? Telco's hate VoIP because it eats away at their traditional revenue base. A VoIP/GSM hybrid network would be VERY costly to implement (given the radio footprint of Wi-Fi hotspots, the limited access to other wireless data technologies like EV-DO or WiMax), almost impossible to bill - actually, it would be impossible to bill unless the entire network was operated by a single entity - and not generate anywhere near enough revenue to warrant construction in the first place.



    So, you have a solution that:
    • Has no existing integrated infrastructure support.

    • Very low interoperability for voice hand-over between disparate vendor hardware.

    • Zero QoS.

    • No way to bill.

    • And it's not very profitable.

    Yeah, that's a technological solution that should fly.



    For the love of God, GROW UP PEOPLE. It's not going to happen just because you want it to happen. Christ, I want a rocket ship and free flights to the moon. When I was a kid I through that humans would be living on the moon by now. Guess what - we're not, and me wishing for it didn't make it happen. Something just aren't going to happen no matter how much you want them to.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57


    A triple band mobile phone with VOIP when I'm in WiFi range makes perfect sense to me. One would expect Apple to try and cut through the nonsense of mobile services and just make it work". Why not 2.8 GHz and a base station for landlines while we are at it?



    "Just Connect"



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57


    A triple band mobile phone with VOIP when I'm in WiFi range makes perfect sense to me. One would expect Apple to try and cut through the nonsense of mobile services and just make it work". Why not 2.8 GHz and a base station for landlines while we are at it?



    "Just Connect"



  • Reply 56 of 63
    Thanks for your concern about the size & shape of my 'stones', but it's unfounded.



    Yes, I am a 'big boy' and also have a sense of irony and sarcasm. Something you're clearly lacking - sadly.



    I'm sorry that you find I don't 'sound that smart to me', but in reality your opinion on that score is of no importance to anyone but yourself.



    As for my credentials, it's a simple thing to check. If you're so very concerned with MY credentials, I suggest you do just that - I'm more than happy to provide you with all the details needed to do so.



    As for grit - putting up with the opinions of posters like you doesn't demonstrate grit, it demonstrates patience; a trait I'm sadly lacking in.



    And finally, if you'd like to ask me something even remotely challenging in my area of expertise (which is communications and positioning via non-terrestrial based systems) I'll be only too happy to enlighten you. In as simple a way as possible of course.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea


    For a "Big boy" that got "flamed by the best" he sure bailed fast from some rather tepid flaming. No stones despite all his "credentials" which means squat on the internet. I could say that I have a PhD from MIT and 30 years experience. So what?



    What matters is what you write...and frankly he didn't sound all that smart to me and I'd have expected a little more grit from a "Cambridge alum" instead being a total mardarse.



    On topic, a wireless VOIP phone that doesn't suck would be welcome and 64bit is nice little bump on the intel architecture and more future proof than 32 bit. More memory will keep a sluggish platform alive a little longer. Yes, i own a MBP and it is very nice.



    Vinea



  • Reply 57 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moracity


    While I regard both you and SpamSandwich as petty disputants, you are certainly a standard example of a pompous ass. Why don't you take your class-warfaring self back to middle white England and peddle your ego there? Your PhD may elevate your status amongst your curtish brethren, but you're not apt to find equal favour within the populace.



    You are clearly correct that I won't find acceptance amongst the majority of THIS populace. Nor would I want to do so.



    The fact that one is able to construct a sentence and argue the actual point rather than simple sling mud does not make a person pompous. It simply means that the person doing so cares and is being as exact as is possible in the given situation. The fact that you don't appear to like me very much warms my heart.



    Unlike your good self I won't assume your country of origin. I don't like making comments without facts at hand and I don't know where you are from. On that score, we obviously differ; you appear happy to make assumptions without proof - take for example your assumption that I'm English and middle class; you're wrong on both counts - I'm Australian and from a lower class socio-economic background.



    Why not shut up, don't jump to conclusions and actually read opposing views once in a while - you may learn something.



    I also adore the fact that you clearly wrote that post using as many 'big' words as you could muster - feeling a tad threatened are we?



    You see, a pompous person is one exactly like yourself - you pretend to an intellect you simply don't posses. Where as I'm just being myself - I could care less what you think of me, it simply doesn't matter.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemmy Caution


    And that, my friends, was NOT THE LEAST BIT condescending... :-)



    Ah, yes... it was MEANT to be!
  • Reply 59 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider


    ... to complement iPods and Macs is Apple's introduction of a digital hub," Bailey said. "The company has created a platform for a digital hub with its Front Row software but would need to add a device to connect iTunes to home theaters to further penetrate this segment."



    This I don't understand, or perhaps Bailey doesn't get it. The "hub" is the center piece... and that is the Mac. It serves the files, it iterfaces to iTMS, it has peripherals that plug into it. The pieces that are missing (iTV, iPhone, etc) are the spokes that plug into the hub... and today we were shown a couple of them. At last.
  • Reply 60 of 63
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,028member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer


    This I don't understand, or perhaps Bailey doesn't get it. The "hub" is the center piece... and that is the Mac. It serves the files, it iterfaces to iTMS, it has peripherals that plug into it. The pieces that are missing (iTV, iPhone, etc) are the spokes that plug into the hub... and today we were shown a couple of them. At last.



    I think he's confusing it with audio/video equipment which naturally has the input/output section as part of the device.



    But, hub also means "distribution center", and in a sense, it is. The Mac might be considered as the repository for the media, and the iTv as the distribution hub.



    It doesn't really matter. It's just semantics.
Sign In or Register to comment.