Apple unveils new iPod nano

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    I don't care about fm, but I would like recorder. How much would it have cost them? not more than $3 each. if not less. Why couldn't they add a mic.

but they are so beautiful I may have to get an 8gb. Also, someone said no game support? is this true? that would suck, cause I wouldn't mind the occassional game when I didn't want to pull out my DSlite. Still, with photos, podcast support, 8gb, and notes, I think this will be my first ipod purchase. ( yes I know the old one had all except 8gb, but this and the new scratch-resistant beautiful look converted me )

still not as good a deal as the sansa though. ( no video, fm recorder, mic ) plus sansa's interface is more intuitive. ( kinda like front row )
  • Reply 22 of 81
    'completely redesigned' ?

I disagree Steve, I disagree.
  • Reply 23 of 81
    I love the new Nanos!

Allready ordered mine - 4Gb Silver - Estimated delivery 15th sept!
  • Reply 24 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Is there a capacity-based copyright levy for music players in the UK?

I think both situations are odd. I'm surprised that the prices of any model line overlap in any region. At least in the last five years or so, Apple didn't let product lines overlap in price that I remember.

Prices are always higher the UK ($249 = £132 so that's £189 or $354 for the 5.5G iPod) but I've never seen them actually out of proportion with the US prices before. Who's going to buy a 8Gb Nano in the US when for the same price you can have a 5.5G? @ 30Gb; the only feature you lose is Nike + (yes I know battery and size but iPods aren't huge anyway).

DV-in camcorder used to be loads more because a DV-in camcorder (which all us UK iMovie users needed before Superdrives) because of the additional tax payable on devices with a record function or something - always seemed bonkers to me.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    It's all part of Apple's master plan. If you buy a 2Gb Nano, you're a cheapo sissy who deserves nothing more than the lamo metallic silver colour. On the other hand, if you get the 8Gb Nano, then you're a real man, who deserves nothing less than the most masculine of all colours, to be worn and wielded by such icons of full black attire as Johnny Cash and the guy from Sprockets.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy

It's all part of Apple's master plan. If you buy a 2Gb Nano, you're a cheapo sissy who deserves nothing more than the lamo metallic silver colour. On the other hand, if you get the 8Gb Nano, then you're a real man, who deserves nothing less than the most masculine of all colours, to be worn and wielded by such icons of full black attire as Johnny Cash and the guy from Sprockets.

completely agree. that is why the average ( 4gb ) has the most options, cause that is what the majority of people will get. ( I don't think 4gb should have silver then by that philosophy? )
  • Reply 27 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woody56292

completely agree. that is why the average ( 4gb ) has the most options, cause that is what the majority of people will get. ( I don't think 4gb should have silver then by that philosophy? )

Well, to take this silly and facetious discussion further, I have to point out that only the 8Gb users will get black, whereas 1Gb, 2Gb and 4Gb users got black before. Also, I would argue that 4Gb users still get the loser treatment with the silly tacky colours, including metallic silver. 8)
  • Reply 28 of 81
    macbook has taught apple a lesson. people will pay a premium for black. smart move by them.

also, notice how the 30GB ipod and black nano cost the same. hmmm. which one would you choose? i could make a case for both.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

macbook has taught apple a lesson. people will pay a premium for black. smart move by them.

also, notice how the 30GB ipod and black nano cost the same. hmmm. which one would you choose? i could make a case for both.

sorry for semi unrelated note, but did you notice how messed up the ipod line looks now.

they have ipod video ( white ), aluminum nano, and aluminum shuffle. I smell an aluminum true video ipod coming.
  • Reply 30 of 81
    Quote:

sorry for semi unrelated note, but did you notice how messed up the ipod line looks now.

they have ipod video ( white ), aluminum nano, and aluminum shuffle. I smell an aluminum true video ipod coming.

which would be a first

apple has always had a white ipod on their large hard drive players line.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    Quote:

What the?!? It's true :O

So, I can get 30Gb of blackness or 8Gb of blackness for the same price? Sounds like a no-brainer to me
  • Reply 32 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy

What the?!? It's true :O

So, I can get 30Gb of blackness or 8Gb of blackness for the same price? Sounds like a no-brainer to me

well, it's not that easy... hehe

30GB... black... glossy... scratchy.. video playback

8GB... thinner... newer... alu-case... arghh decisions
  • Reply 33 of 81
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

The separate FM tuner is actually a much better solution in my opinion. A built-in option doesn't give you enough of an antenna to get a good signal. I believe that the Apple tuner benefits from the cord to give a clearer signal. Anyone agree/disagree?

FM tuners need external antennas, and the vast majority of portable FM tuners use the headphone cable as an antenna. Apple could put the chip in the iPod and use the headphone cable as an antenna. The reason they have an external solution is that most people don't want an FM radio so why add the expense to the standard iPod when you can charge extra for the feature for the few who want it?
  • Reply 34 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

FM tuners need external antennas, and the vast majority of portable FM tuners use the headphone cable as an antenna. Apple could put the chip in the iPod and use the headphone cable as an antenna. The reason they have an external solution is that most people don't want an FM radio so why add the expense to the standard iPod when you can charge extra for the feature for the few who want it?

how expensive is an FM tunner, if they chose to include inside very ipod? just curious. shitty players like the zen micro have it. it doesn't add too much bulk, but yeah they are smart in selling it separately. \
  • Reply 35 of 81
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

Am I the only one that liked the old nano better? I don't really like the flat edges on mini and now on the nano because they dent if dropped, smooth edges were better imo.

Well I suppose one advantage with the aluminium is that it won't scratch so easily.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

how expensive is an FM tunner, if they chose to include inside very ipod? just curious. shitty players like the zen micro have it. it doesn't add too much bulk, but yeah they are smart in selling it separately. \

On a per-player basis, it's a few cents. But every penny counts when you're selling several million devices a quarter. I don't see any evidence that the lack of FM tuner is seriously damaging iPod sales, so why bother adding one to every player?

The iPod shuffle is a different story however. I don't think Apple understand that segment of the market at all well, especially outside the U.S. (where iPod market share generally is much, much lower)
  • Reply 37 of 81
    Quote:

The iPod shuffle is a different story however. I don't think Apple understand that segment of the market at all well, especially outside the U.S. (where iPod market share generally is much, much lower)

I completely agree with you there. Now my shuffle has to last until such time that apple realises their mistake with respect to removing the usb port from the shuffle. The unit doesn't have to be so small, and (as someone else said) how much more bulk would keeping the usb port really add to the new shuffle -- probably 1cm in length. Apple doesn't understand the shuffle.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

What do you mean? Elaborate.
  • Reply 39 of 81
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Mean too plenty of people like my girlfriend prefer the nano type form factor over the full size form factor. Same with a lot of my friends. Personally I'd take the video ipod, but each his own, both will sell like crazy.

I'll probably end up with either a shuffle and new video ipod or a silver nano and video ipod. Gym and commute.
  • Reply 40 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

On a per-player basis, it's a few cents. But every penny counts when you're selling several million devices a quarter. I don't see any evidence that the lack of FM tuner is seriously damaging iPod sales, so why bother adding one to every player?

That's not the only way to look at it. If 1% of the potential buyers would have bought an iPod but didn't because of the lack of an FM tuner and that the add-on is too expensive, then putting it in at a few cents a player would pay back for itself vs. the lost sale in a hundred.