Anyone getting a Wii?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96
    And it's going to be bundled with Wii Sports. Which if I understood it correctly, thats the first console to launch with a title bundled with it since the orginal NES. That's sweet that it's included.
  • Reply 22 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cyko95

And it's going to be bundled with Wii Sports. Which if I understood it correctly, thats the first console to launch with a title bundled with it since the orginal NES. That's sweet that it's included.

yeah, the new bowling and boxing addition ( along with golf, baseball, and tennis ) sounds really interesting. Can't wait for some multiplayer punch-out action. ( but maybe that would required 2 controllers for each person? )
  • Reply 23 of 96
    Here's a little addition to the comic: (image)

• Reply 24 of 96
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    or "screw you guys, a Wii emulator will be out in two months anyways"
  • Reply 25 of 96
    Yeah. Totally. Plus Zelda probably doesn't support openEXR HDR and 6xAA and 16xAF and DirectX9.0c and ShaderModel 3.0 right? muaha hahah ha h haha ha h a
  • Reply 26 of 96
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Hmmm.. looks like high-def console gaming will cost $$$ to get the PS3, otherwise the low res of the Wii is not worth it.

I know if I use a decent 500-line TV or simple 720p Plasma(!) things will be sweet with the Wii and the PS3, but then now we're looking at things just as expensive as PC gaming...!

And I am not going to play games on a crappy standard def TV.

Ehh... I don't see why not, if you already have a TV. I play standard def Virtua Fighter, while Soul Calibur 3 would have 480p and widescreen, simply because VF is the more enjoyable game. And my screen is full HD. VF might actually look better on a standard def TV than on my screen because the softer picture would not show the low res.

I find a well designed, animated, rich environment looks great even with a low pixel count while a barren one never does even in HD. Think about it - if you could have totally realistic, lifelike content at DVD resolution, or Half-Life at HD resolution, which would you pick?

A practical example of the same is taking any modern FPS which you don't have the power to run at full res and settings, and try two configurations: max resolution and then only as much effects as the resolution allows to retain playable framerate, and second, max effects and only as much resolution as they allow to retain playable framerate.

After the pain that is trying to game with a PS2 with best possible video modes, I see a lot of sense to have a mandatory resolution in the PS3 and the 360, but I feel some games would look better if they used that power which goes to run 1080p to up effects and geometry in lower res instead - so I'd place the mandatory resolution requirement at 480p. Which, incidentally, is what Wii runs at. Games would still be free to do 1080p all they want, if they want.

You could consider doing the same I did, replacing your computer display with one that has component inputs. I'm happy with the 2405fpw.
    Quote:

Looks like it's PC gaming and small upgrades along the way for now. Another 6600GT to SLI

Does this actually make any sense compared to just getting a 7900GS replacement for your 6600GT and selling the used one on eBay?
  • Reply 27 of 96
    Quote:

$40 for the main controller (remote part) and $20 for the tethered part (the nunchuck as they call it.)

I was under the impression that they are sold together, as a single unit, and not separately?

I mean really, what good is an extra remote, or an extra nunchuk, without the other half?

You wouldn't be able to play anything like that, let alone Zelda, Far Cry and Red Steel.

And to answer the question of this thread: no I won't be getting a Wii. I'm getting a 360, hopefully for Christmas next year (don't worry I have a list of all the games I want to buy so I don't forget). But my brother does want a Wii and since my Mum likes cheap prices and considering the fact we have a GCN already, it looks like I will be paying for it myself.

Bah!
  • Reply 28 of 96
    Quote:

$40 for the main controller (remote part) and $20 for the tethered part (the nunchuck as they call it.)

I was under the impression that they are sold together, as a single unit, and not separately?

I mean really, what good is an extra remote, or an extra nunchuk, without the other half?

You wouldn't be able to play anything like that, let alone Zelda, Far Cry and Red Steel.

And to answer the question of this thread: no I won't be getting a Wii. I'm getting a 360, hopefully for Christmas next year (don't worry I have a list of all the games I want to buy so I don't forget). But my brother does want a Wii and since my Mum likes cheap prices and considering the fact we have a GCN already, it looks like he will be getting and I will be paying for a 360 myself.

Bah!
  • Reply 29 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greglo

And to answer the question of this thread: no I won't be getting a Wii. I'm getting a 360, hopefully for Christmas next year (don't worry I have a list of all the games I want to buy so I don't forget). But my brother does want a Wii and since my Mum likes cheap prices and considering the fact we have a GCN already, it looks like he will be getting and I will be paying for a 360 myself.

Bah!

There's games out for the 360?
  • Reply 30 of 96
    Quote:

The main controller and nunchuck come with the Wii.
  • Reply 31 of 96
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Read up a bit on the Wii controllers. The remote is "the" controller. The rest, including the nunchuk, are add-ons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Controller

http://wii.nintendo.com/controller.html

You mention three games, but there are a lot more.

Besides I don't think the Zelda even has multiplayer, you don't need a second controller for it.
  • Reply 32 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon

Ehh... I don't see why not, if you already have a TV. I play standard def Virtua Fighter, while Soul Calibur 3 would have 480p and widescreen, simply because VF is the more enjoyable game. And my screen is full HD. VF might actually look better on a standard def TV than on my screen because the softer picture would not show the low res.

I find a well designed, animated, rich environment looks great even with a low pixel count while a barren one never does even in HD. Think about it - if you could have totally realistic, lifelike content at DVD resolution, or Half-Life at HD resolution, which would you pick?

A practical example of the same is taking any modern FPS which you don't have the power to run at full res and settings, and try two configurations: max resolution and then only as much effects as the resolution allows to retain playable framerate, and second, max effects and only as much resolution as they allow to retain playable framerate.

After the pain that is trying to game with a PS2 with best possible video modes, I see a lot of sense to have a mandatory resolution in the PS3 and the 360, but I feel some games would look better if they used that power which goes to run 1080p to up effects and geometry in lower res instead - so I'd place the mandatory resolution requirement at 480p. Which, incidentally, is what Wii runs at. Games would still be free to do 1080p all they want, if they want.

You could consider doing the same I did, replacing your computer display with one that has component inputs. I'm happy with the 2405fpw.

Hmm... honestly I'd take Half Life 2 at 1280x1024 (my 17" LCD screen res). Yes, a really rich environment would be great at DVD res but I'd burn my eyes out sitting right up close to the standard def cathode ray tv. Whereas with the 17" LCD you can enjoy your game with your face right up in front of the screen.

You see, the thing is I do *not* want to have another TV-type thing just to play the Wii, standard def or not, because we have two TVs in the house and both my parents use it to watch regular shows, and I won't be getting another TV, plasma or not, etc.

An LCD with component inputs would be a great solution - but yeah like you say doesn't the image say at 480p enlarged onto 17", 19", or 24" make things look a bit harsh? Fully animated and detailed, but it would look hella pixelated on big LCD displays..? Plus I don't have the funds to just replace my LCD (see below as well re: eBay)

OR IF THE FRACKING Wii HAD DVI/ HDMI-to-DVI output...!!

So here's the bottom line: I get a Wii, I find a component-to-DVI or component-to-VGA adapter. But wait, actually I am getting my panties in a twist. On Wikipedia it says: "Up to 480p and will work with a computer monitor as well as any TV or projector[16]" -- which means a VGA out? Hurrah! My 17" LCD has both a DVI in and a VGA in. Which would be excellence because I can swappy swappy from DVI (WindozeXP and stuff) and VGA (Wii) with the LCD controls easily. The only question now is how does the 480p-over-VGA-connector-into-upscaled-1280x1024 look? This would be the litmus test. Half-Life 2 and latest games at mid-to mid-high quality at native 1280x1024, or 480p-VGA-fully animated, rich, detailed gaming on upscaled-to-1280x1024.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon

Does this actually make any sense compared to just getting a 7900GS replacement for your 6600GT and selling the used one on eBay?

Sadly, where my rig is, in Malaysia, there be no eBay in those parts. Even in Australia eBay simply does not have the massive audience salivating for my 6600GT that I would find in the eBay USA marketplace. Shipping worldwide out of Malaysia is just a ridiculous pain in the a55, if that's your next suggestion...

Also, I have developed a sentimental attachment to the MSI NX6600GT, and I feel upgrading it with SLI is just, well, FUN..! The 7900GS, yeah, it kinda kicks ass, but it's a stripped down 7-series (I feel I don't get the "oomph" emotion of a "GT") and it's US$50 more expensive than another 6600GT.

I guess I got an SLI motherboard, why the hell not, I guess, just use it. Also I want to put these two heatsinks on, and overclocked' SLI 6600GT's with the latest copper Zalman heatsink/pipes gets me warm and moist. Umm... oops I think I said too much.

GPU Heatsinks: (Image) MM.. look at those heatpipes in the heatsink

• Reply 33 of 96
    I do see the logic though in having 480p - on 1280x1024 upscaled, nice, rich, hopefully not to pixelated... But it will be quiet compared to the jet engine that my AMD64 rig will be with oh, what, almost 6 fans - CPU, powersupply, back exhaust, GPU1, GPU2.

Oh why the Frack can't the Wii have done 720p ??? That would work perfectly in 16:9 (letterboxing is okay) on my 1280x1024 beautiful Sony 17" LCD. *sigh*.

Yeah, FYI to anyone that cares, I left my AMD64 6600GT rig back in Malaysia when I came to Australia at the start of August. Been sober from computer games for about a month and a half now, just the iBook G4 933mhz and a crap-o-rama (but much needed) Pentium 4-M 2ghz with - prepare yourselves - a super duper GeForce4 420 Go GPU with a whopping 16MB of VRAM. Whoooooooo........

I might just get a Wii if I am going to be in Australia for a few more months, I'll steal some of the family's TV time here for a bit of Wii action, that would be alright.... Hmmm... apparently my cousin's daughter has already pre-ordered one, so I'll check it out when she gets it to see what the dealie-o is. BUT HALF LIFE 2 : EPISODE 2 and stuff...!!
  • Reply 34 of 96
    OMFG maybe I can have my cake and eat it and smear it all over my body too... ... Get the Wii, *and* the 6600GT, and have the best of ALL worlds - wooooot !!!!111one!!11!1!!

Sweet. Wii on one side of the desktop, AMD rig on the other. Both hooked up to the 17" Sony LCD (assuming Wii has VGA out connection). Flick a switch and you're in Nintendo land or PCGaming land. Actually, frack the extra 6600GT, my half-life 2 : episodes experience is fine as it is now. So, just buy the Wii and some games. Sweet. Half Life 2: Episode 2 and more, no extra PC hardware needed. Sweet.

Ah, life is good. Now to come up with the cash for the Wii, get my rig back to Australia or go back to Malaysia, and oh, get a sustainable *at least somewhat barely satisfying job*.

As they say here, no worries mate. Though I am a bit worried. Especially on the job thing. But the Wii is starting to look tempting, I must say. And maybe I'll eventually figure out WTF this Zelda thing is all about.
  • Reply 35 of 96
    (I'll shut up soon...) But I really would have to check out how the Wii VGA-out looks on a 1280x1024 17" monitor. If upscaling looks crap, Frack it.
  • Reply 36 of 96
    http://wii.nintendo.com/hardware.html says: "Output: an AV Multi-output port for component, composite or S-video" ... VGA ???
  • Reply 37 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacojohn

Who here plans on getting a Wii on day one?

I can't wait to play Wii Sports and Zelda- I'll be picking those up and an extra controller set on launch day. Also looking forward to Metroid, Mario Galaxy, and Smash brothers.

The "channels" are pretty cool too- always wanted to get a local weather forecast on my TV.

There are several other 3rd party games that look good too- Red Steel and Rayman look good.

Can't wait!

Im getting it the seond its available. I allready have a 360, but this is just to cool to pass up!

I'm getting, like you said, Zelda, Metroid, Mario and Smash brothers!!

I am pretty mad that there charging extra for the nunchick add on, it should come with.

Im so excited to play zelda!!! thats gonna be awesome!

"Wii also can connect wirelessly with Nintendo DS."?????? what does that mean?
  • Reply 38 of 96
    WTF does the nunchuck do? Or, what do you do with it? Is it worth the extra??

• Reply 39 of 96
    It all seems too scary after many long years of much mousing and A-W-S-D key pressing. And lots of "R" pressing for reloading your clips strategically in HalfLife2.
  • Reply 40 of 96
    I mean, all that countless hours getting good at ONS-TORLAN in UT2004... All that intense, gruelling practise to become the most badass dude in well, that particular server I guess, but all that......... will be lost.

With one quick swipe of the mouse to the right while holding down S-key and hitting Space I pull the familiar but always surprising 180-switchback-jump-and-frag trick.

With this nunchuck and wireless motion sensor thing I think it would require quite a lot of body and arm jiggling and stuff to do the same thing. And maybe some actual physical jumping up and down [cue DanceDanceRev floormat for PS2]

Wii excercise games may be cool though