Apple to update MacBook lines in time for holidays

14567810»

Comments

  • Reply 181 of 199
    I think he meant an Apple retailer, not Apple Store, which half the time they have no clue what the hell is going on. Their guess is as good as ours...
  • Reply 182 of 199
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,151member
    The MacBook Pro is now listed as out of stock with 7-10 day wait times at the online U.S. Apple Store for Education Institutions.








    This same time delay happened a week or so before the iMac was updated on September 6th, and is up from yesterday's times of 1-3 days for the 15-inch.
  • Reply 183 of 199
    abhayabhay Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755


    The MacBook Pro is now listed as out of stock with 7-10 day wait times at the online U.S. Apple Store for Education Institutions.








    This same time delay happened a week or so before the iMac was updated on September 6th, and is up from yesterday's times of 1-3 days for the 15-inch.





    It seems like Apple Store ( not educational store) is still showing estimated shipping within 24 hours.
  • Reply 184 of 199
    abhayabhay Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abhay


    It seems like Apple Store ( not educational store) is still showing estimated shipping within 24 hours.





    Actually Apple Store Education also shows estimated shipping 24 hours so I am not sure where you got the above screenshot from. See the following link from apple education store:



    http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/We...clm=MacBookPro
  • Reply 185 of 199
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    well, I went to my college's Mac page, and the Bundles page, where they give you a bad version for more money (its weird), the say the macbook 15" is shipping 7-10days, and the 17" offering is no longer offered.



    However, upon continuing to the apple store, the ship dates return to within 24 hours.



    I'd post pics, but I got no site to post em to.
  • Reply 186 of 199
    I really hope that they come out with MBP C2D like the article said! I could be our Halloween present as a treat and not a trick!



    Topher
  • Reply 187 of 199
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,151member
    The screen shot is from the Apple Store for Education Institution customers, NOT the Apple Store for Education Individuals.
  • Reply 188 of 199
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    10.46pm Wed San Francisco. AppleStore for Retail Normal showing 24hour ship times. MacBookPro as per current.
  • Reply 189 of 199
    I visited an apple reseller last week, they said a similar thing...very low stock, no indication from apple of when they can expect more. in their words, behaviour consistent with imminent release.



    however, i note that the Apple online UK store was showing 5 day shipping for the 2.16 15", while the lower spec & the 17" were both 1-2 days. So maybe there are simply European supply problems, and its just a case of not having enough units to meet demand on this side of the atlantic.



    still, fingers crossed!
  • Reply 190 of 199
    Okay, so I took one for the 'team'. I couldn't wait any longer and purchased a stock MacBook as holdover until the Merom MacBook Pros emerge from Apple's secret mountain top labs...



    So with my luck, we'll see new MacBook Pros next Tuesday with a new enclosure, faster chips, 4GB of memory, new video card, firewire 800 (15" model), 3 USB 2.0 ports (15" model), longer battery life, 802.11n, and the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound.



    (If only one person's buying decisions could really effect so much )
  • Reply 191 of 199
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by miggs97


    Okay, so I took one for the 'team'. I couldn't wait any longer and purchased a stock MacBook as holdover until the Merom MacBook Pros emerge from Apple's secret mountain top labs...



    So with my luck, we'll see new MacBook Pros next Tuesday with a new enclosure, faster chips, 4GB of memory, new video card, firewire 800 (15" model), 3 USB 2.0 ports (15" model), longer battery life, 802.11n, and the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound.



    (If only one person's buying decisions could really effect so much )



    The funny thing is that that's going to happen 8) Anyway do you *need* a MacBookPro? Unless you play PC games you don't need a MacBookPro. If you need a bigger screen when at home just hook up a sweet 19" LCD to the MacBook. Merom is 20% faster at best. 10-15% faster on average. Pffft
  • Reply 192 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman


    The funny thing is that that's going to happen 8) Anyway do you *need* a MacBookPro? Unless you play PC games you don't need a MacBookPro. If you need a bigger screen when at home just hook up a sweet 19" LCD to the MacBook. Merom is 20% faster at best. 10-15% faster on average. Pffft



    Yes I need a MacBook Pro, and no I don't play PC games I do freelance editing and need as much horsepower as possible. For the last couple of years I've made due with company systems. But as I will be moving on my own next year, I need a solid system that will last me the next couple of years. And the extra ram that 64bit computing offers would be a real boost. 8)
  • Reply 193 of 199
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by miggs97


    Yes I need a MacBook Pro, and no I don't play PC games I do freelance editing and need as much horsepower as possible. For the last couple of years I've made due with company systems. But as I will be moving on my own next year, I need a solid system that will last me the next couple of years. And the extra ram that 64bit computing offers would be a real boost. 8)



    Then you should have waited....!! Cancel your MacBook order!!!! 8)
  • Reply 194 of 199
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    If you're still using company gear then you can wait a few months!!
  • Reply 195 of 199
    I know... it may have been slightly impulsive (but only slightly ). I can always sell it... But maybe I'll hold off until Leopard, seeing as even the MacBook can best my old PowerBook for my non company work at the moment. But it won't stand up for 5 years like the PowerBook (enter the MacBook Pro).
  • Reply 196 of 199
    I've come to grips with the fact that I am at Apple's mercy. But then it registered that they MUST have a REALLY damn good reason for delaying. I won't begin to pontificate about the inner workings of the Apple business model, but I offer the reason that helps me stay patient...



    Batteries.



    With the rash of battery recalls from Sony (which impacted Dell, Apple, etc.), I think Apple is taking a very close look at an alternative battery solution... perhaps even a new technology (ie. plastic capacitance?).



    I don't know, but it does make sense that they would want to prevent a future recall.
  • Reply 197 of 199
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhetWurm


    But then it registered that they MUST have a REALLY damn good reason for delaying.



    I would reword that slightly: They better have a damn good reason for delaying. I'm not sure if it's worth delaying the release because of a reworking the design or functionality. The Santa Rosa platform is comming soon enough and probably require another, though less significant, reworking anyway.



    The battery idea is interesting, but I don't think they can do anything too different. There are other battery makers though I am not too familiar with their relative strengths.
  • Reply 198 of 199
    Oh I fully believe Apple wants to get the MeromBP out the door. But they also don't want to get burned (excuse the awful pun) by a battery recall so they are spending extra time on testing.
  • Reply 199 of 199
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Wacky idea - The MBP is being held back from getting the Merom for now and the Santa Rosa is being pushed forward so the next MBP will get Santa Rosa and Merom. Only thinking of it because intel seem to be pushing their tech out as early as they can, and Apple is their show off brand as far as their customers go.
Sign In or Register to comment.