Intel quad-core Kentsfield to be named Core 2 Quadro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

Oh come on now...to target the high end gaming market with a quad-core chip, games have to first be SMP-aware. How many games utilize more than 1 core very efficiently? Not many.

I hope the availability of consumer and pro multicore chips will push developers to write heavily-threaded apps. As difficult as it may be to write such an app, it has to be done...and it will separate the boys from the men (weed out the bad devs.)

Oh come on now, Spinal Tap, thinking takes over here. There amps went to 11 and thier computer has 4 and yours has 2. Who are these machines marketed to? Like telling a good joke it is always advised to know your audience, and I think that 4 is better for this crowd. Even if only one is used, until they get their butt kicked by a single chip system, but then there are always arguing points.

I use Pro apps and I hope they take advantage of the cores, I hope so since they are Apple apps, but then I never hold my breath.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    James Bond in OctoPC.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    Core 2 Quadro..... POWAAAAAA!
  • Reply 24 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Wasn't quadro a generic word in one of the Latin-based languages? It's just a matter of whether nVidia filed a trademark that applies to CPUs.

yeah wtf?
  • Reply 25 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmegatool

quadra x2 = Mac Pro Octo

octo ..... (also oct- before a vowel) combining form eight; having eight : octosyllabic. ORIGIN from Latin octo or Greek okt? ‘eight.’

I like octad

MacPro Octad ...... hmmmmm ?

octad .....|?äktad| noun technical a group or set of eight. ORIGIN mid 19th cent.: via late Latin from Greek oktas, oktad-, from okt? ‘eight.’

-Robert

BTW I could not find quadro in the dictionary but his seems cool, 2 quadruplicate cores ( and i can hear steve saying " ..... and there is TWO of them ...") ..... mmmmm maybe not!

quadruplicate ..... adjective |kwäˈdroōpləkit| consisting of four parts or elements • of which four copies are made. verb |kwäˈdroōpləˌkāt| [ trans. ] multiply (something) by four. • [usu. as adj. ] ( quadruplicated) make or provide in quadruplicate. PHRASES in quadruplicate in four identical copies. DERIVATIVES quadruplication |kwäˌdroōpləˈkā sh ən| noun ORIGIN mid 17th cent.: from Latin quadruplicat- ‘quadrupled,’ from the verb quadruplicare, from quadruplex, quadruplic- ‘fourfold,’ from quadru- ‘four’ + plicare ‘to fold.’
  • Reply 26 of 61
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    An updated Mac Pro in Jan seems fitting. Dec doesn't seem like the right time to introduce it.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

the following processors will be quad cores, and have an On Die Memory Controller according to previous reports from intel**)

If intel can pull that off they will only be a few years late.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon

If intel can pull that off they will only be a few years earlier than AMD.

I fixed your quote there for ya.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts

Apple is in a pickle. They just released the Mac Pro and updated XServes with the dual-core Zeons, and now quad-core CPUs will be out in November. Does anyone know how quickly Intel stops supplying a given CPU once a newer one is in production?

how are they in a pickle?

there is no redesign required to switch the Mac Pros from their dual core chips, to the quad core chips.. In fact Anandtech.com has already tried it out and OSX saw all 8 cores.

http://anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2832
  • Reply 30 of 61
    maybe for a very high end workstation ... two quad chips + two nvidia quadro gpus ....
  • Reply 31 of 61
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Let me guess, was that in a standard ATX / BTX case? Those are cavernous compared to the iMac.

Heat is power. For every watt of power put into a computer system, one watt of heat has to be removed. A Conroe at full load will produce twice the heat as a Merom. A Kentsfield at full load load will produce about twice the heat as a Conroe. I they all end up at the same temperature, then the cooling system has to move more heat to maintain that temperature.

Merom is not cheaper. It's a little slower and a lot more expensive.

Your numbers are off Jeff. Anand has already dropped engineering samples of the four core designes into a Mac Pro, and they worked fine. We already discussed this a few days ago, and I started a thread on it which no one seemed to be interested in.\
  • Reply 32 of 61
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doh123

how are they in a pickle?

there is no redesign required to switch the Mac Pros from their dual core chips, to the quad core chips.. In fact Anandtech.com has already tried it out and OSX saw all 8 cores.

http://anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2832

Shoot, didn't see yours!
  • Reply 33 of 61
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Your numbers are off Jeff. Anand has already dropped engineering samples of the four core designes into a Mac Pro, and they worked fine.

Off or on I don't know, but you are talking about four-core chips in a Mac Pro and he is talking about four-core chips in an iMac. Do you really believe that the iMac can handle the heat of four Conroe cores? I say not a chance in a million.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Your numbers are off Jeff. Anand has already dropped engineering samples of the four core designes into a Mac Pro, and they worked fine. We already discussed this a few days ago, and I started a thread on it which no one seemed to be interested in.\

I didn't see the thread you said you posted, but I did read that article, linked from another site. I think I saw it linked from Ars.

Unfortunately, the regular forum doesn't get much participation outside of threads linked to news stories. I can't find the thread you said you made, I looked a little in Current and in Future Hardware. I didn't do a search yet.

But yeah, I was talking about stuffing a Kentsfield into an iMac, not Clovertowns into a Mac Pro. The chips are similar, but the computers have two very different enclosures. iMac will go quad core, but my guess is only with the successor to Kentsfield where they are more likely to have a notebook version and all four cores on a single die, and that it's probably going to be a die shrink over what Kentsfield has.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Whoa whoa whoa...I was going to buy my new Mac Pro soon, but the thought keeps creeping on my mind that Dual Core will soon be obsolete,

and since I will be doing a LOT of gaming I have no choice but to wait for this 'Quad Core'.

Damn you Intel !!
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

Off or on I don't know, but you are talking about four-core chips in a Mac Pro and he is talking about four-core chips in an iMac. Do you really believe that the iMac can handle the heat of four Conroe cores? I say not a chance in a million.

It handled a G5.* The same G5 the towers needed extensive air / water cooling to handle.* Four Conroes may be pushing it, but then again I think Apple did a spectacular job on the original G5 iMac design and could extend that ESPECIALLY if they dump the 17" model re: quad and keep it for the bigger machines.* Had a look at all that space behind a 20" and 24" iMac's display, right?* All the edges too.* There's space enough available to radiate the heat, "all" it requires is another tour de force from the Apple industrial design team.* They might just make it!

Of course, I'd love to see a new design outright.* Who knows, 2007 may be the year of new exteriors.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    As for why my above post has asterisks at the end of every sentence which apparently I can't fix using an edit ... I have no idea.**
  • Reply 38 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuyutsuki

It handled a G5.* The same G5 the towers needed extensive air / water cooling to handle.* Four Conroes may be pushing it, but then again I think Apple did a spectacular job on the original G5 iMac design and could extend that ESPECIALLY if they dump the 17" model re: quad and keep it for the bigger machines.* Had a look at all that space behind a 20" and 24" iMac's display, right?* All the edges too.* There's space enough available to radiate the heat, "all" it requires is another tour de force from the Apple industrial design team.* They might just make it!

Of course, I'd love to see a new design outright.* Who knows, 2007 may be the year of new exteriors.

The impression I get is that the iMac Duos are a lot quieter than the iMac G5s. I had a 1.6GHz iMac for a while, the thing got a little loud, and the enclosure got a little hot, louder and hotter than any other computer I've ever owned.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuyutsuki

It handled a G5. The same G5 the towers needed extensive air / water cooling to handle.

I am afraid you are mistaken here. A G5 similar to what we found in the Power Mac was used in the first G5 iMac generation and at clock speeds 1.6 - 1.8 GHz. This was just one processing core and we know very well the heat and noise problems it gave.

Later higher clocked iMacs used the low power G5, but even in this case many users report that the new Core Duo iMacs are substantially more quiet. Now a dual core Conroe tops at 10-15 Watts more than those G5s and perhaps it would fit a 24" iMac. Probably this is the reason why Apple go with 24" and not 23" (more space to cool the chip), although for the time being they decided to not redesign the MB and use instead the drop-in replacement Merom. But you cannot push it more than that. Not now at least.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    OK, let me get this straight...the iMac's processor is not upgradeable (?). Intel has always been upgrading the speed of their processors every few months. Apple now uses Intel chips. Are people that have to have the new, fastest processors supposed to just forget about the iMac line altogether, since it's nuts $$ wise to upgrade an entire computer every 6 months to a year?! I'm not one of them, but it makes me even more wishful for that mini-tower we may never see. I bet Intel does too since they could sell new chips to upgraders.