iTunes 7 - should I do it? Advice please...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi everyone, first posting for me here.

I run iTunes 4 and I'm quite happy with it, nuthin' fancy - does the job. I have 11,000 songs and I wouldn't want to lose one song or get things muddled or haywire on my system.

If I want to carry on buying tracks from the Music Store - obviously I have to install iTunes 7. It's not my main source of music, but I like to pick up a track or two a week from there, the rest are from burning CDs.

I'm reading all the postings about terrible problems with installing iTunes 7, and when I upgraded to iTunes 4 I ended up with a blank iTunes and had to find all the tracks again - I couldn't go through that again! My iPod & software came from the US originally (I'm in the UK) and at that time wondered if there was a conflict when I upgraded.

However - should I do it - what's the opinion of those who have experienced upgrading to iTunes 7, or should I stick with iTunes 4 and source my music from another site...

I would appreciate any good advice.....

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALYN SMITH

I run iTunes 4 and I'm quite happy with it, nuthin' fancy - does the job.

Dude, there's known security holes. You should never run outdated versions of software with networking features.

Quote:

I'm reading all the postings about terrible problems with installing iTunes 7, and when I upgraded to iTunes 4 I ended up with a blank iTunes and had to find all the tracks again - I couldn't go through that again! My iPod & software came from the US originally (I'm in the UK) and at that time wondered if there was a conflict when I upgraded.

You can always do a backup, then try. My personal experience with iTunes 7 has been mostly flawless.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Chucker - thank you for your reply, I appreciate it and it has given me more confidence in upgrading. When you say - do a back up - before upgrading what do you mean exactly (sorry if I'm being a bit thick...). I have all my songs in iTunes 4 laid out exactly how I want them and all the actual files on an external hard drive, but how do I keep all the tags and info I have given the files in iTunes in case I lose all that info? thanks, again. Alyn
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:

Chucker - thank you for your reply, I appreciate it and it has given me more confidence in upgrading. When you say - do a back up - before upgrading what do you mean exactly (sorry if I'm being a bit thick...). I have all my songs in iTunes 4 laid out exactly how I want them and all the actual files on an external hard drive, but how do I keep all the tags and info I have given the files in iTunes in case I lose all that info? thanks, again. Alyn

Another thing to consider is updating to iTunes 6.05 --there are some threads that show you where to get it--I think Pogue's site mentioned in another thread has a source--
  • Reply 4 of 21
    sammick - but would I gain anything by that upgrade? The only reason I'm considering the upgrade is because I like to buy the odd track from the Music Store. If I didn't want to do that, I'd be content to stay with iTunes 4.....
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

sammick - but would I gain anything by that upgrade? The only reason I'm considering the upgrade is because I like to buy the odd track from the Music Store. If I didn't want to do that, I'd be content to stay with iTunes 4.....

You answered your own question--

It all depends how badly you want to buy the odd track--if it is not that important, I would not upgrade.

I do know that iTunes 6.5 is stable--and that iTunes 7 has problems--I would NOT upgrade to 7 at this time.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    My guess is that iTunes 7 will be upgraded soon anyway. If you're still using iTunes 4 ( , sorry), you certainly could wait a few weeks for iTunes 7.01.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    wth does iTunes 4 look like anyway? I dont even remember. Will you take a screen shot for me
  • Reply 8 of 21
    I have a G4 10.3.9 and iTunes 7 has worked perfectly so far. No problems, and it works better with my iPod mini I think.

In your situation, just wait for the .01 to come out.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I've seen problems with iTunes 7 on my PC at work, but nothing much that I've noticed on my Mac at home. iTunes 7 does seem to eat up a bizarrely high amout of virtual memory, but I haven't noticed any side-effect problems on my Mac from that. I do have 2.5 GB of RAM (only 1 GB on my PC at work), so perhaps someone with less RAM would see more problems.

I've also seen some of my CD ripping go a bit slowly (only around 6x instead of the 20x or higher I typically get), which some people are saying is a problem in iTunes 7 when you have a large library. (I have around 4800 songs.)

However, I must say.... GAPLESS PLAYBACK!!! WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!

I've been waiting for iTunes to do gapless playback for years now, and now iTunes 7, and my new iPod too, finally deliver. iTunes 7 would have to give me major problems before I'd give up the gapless playback I've waited for for so long.

And of course, my new iPod requires iTunes 7 to sync with, so that kinda makes it hard for me to do without 7 anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    I just upgraded to iTunes7 and Quicktime7 (which I didnt have before) and I purchased about $30 worth of music, and it won't let me download any of it, saying Error -50. The help section on the Apple site only talks about PC and McAfee conflicts for this error, but I'm using a AluPB with OS 10.4.6. Does anyone know how to correct this?

I can try using someone else's computer tomorrow to get my music, but how do I re-download something I've already bought? (I've never really bought much from iTMS before so I am sketchy about how to do this stuff.) Thanks in advance...
  • Reply 11 of 21
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Why aren't you on 10.4.7?
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

I run iTunes 4 and I'm quite happy with it, nuthin' fancy - does the job. I have 11,000 songs and I wouldn't want to lose one song or get things muddled or haywire on my system.

If I want to carry on buying tracks from the Music Store - obviously I have to install iTunes 7. It's not my main source of music, but I like to pick up a track or two a week from there, the rest are from burning CDs.

However - should I do it - what's the opinion of those who have experienced upgrading to iTunes 7, or should I stick with iTunes 4 and source my music from another site...

I would appreciate any good advice.....

Thanks!

I'd strongly recommend against going to itunes 7 until they get the performance problems worked out. Unless you're happy with sync time going from maybe a minute to over an hour, don't do it yet.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Why aren't you on 10.4.7?

Because every time I upgrade, everything is 10x worse that it was before! (If it ain't broke don't fix it?)

I had to upgrade iTunes because it wouldn't let me purchase songs otherwise, and I was forced into it. I rebooted about 9 times and the songs finally downloaded. But I can't burn them onto a CD to listen to in my car... it says I'm not allowed to burn music purchased from the iTMS. Are they for real???? (Or am I missing something?)

• Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac's girl

it says I'm not allowed to burn music purchased from the iTMS.

I'm going to assume that's not a new "feature" of iTunes 7. Can anyone else confirm or disconfirm this?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac's girl

But I can't burn them onto a CD to listen to in my car... it says I'm not allowed to burn music purchased from the iTMS.

Are you trying to burn the music as an MP3 CD? If so, that won't work with iTMS purchases. You can only burn standard audio CDs.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    all comments taken on board - thank you! I think I'm edging towards leaving well alone. I understand the mirth at my being back on iTunes 4!!! In my defence, when I upgraded to 4 and I ended up with a blank iTunes that I had to laboriously re-fill it put me off upgrading.... I guess I've been missing a lot, but if it came to that again...... I'll leave it until I feel like starting from the ground up - or chancing it... (my iTunes is on a PC, Windows ME, for the record)
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Okay, here's my two cents. I upgraded to iTunes 7, and was disappointed about the implementation of Coverflow and some speed issues. Overall, however, I don't think it's any worse of a program than iTunes 6 was, and every issue I have encountered has been more or less cosmetic. iTunes will be fine after the update.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Flinch - thanks for that, I appreciate your contribution.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Okay - to those still interested, I bit the bullet, closed my eys and installed iTunes 7 this morning - and....... all is well! Everything seems to have landed where it should. It's going to take several years for it to determine gapless playback info, but that's okay - I'm just totally relieved that I didn't lose the lot. I guess I will find out all the gremlins and slowness etc that I've heard about once I get going properly. Alyn.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    itune keeps crashing and doing my head in. Every time I try to browse the US store it crashes. Then it can also slow up my machine. I never had any problems with my last version.

I want to get a mac to replace this piece of poop i'm on at the moment but I am disappointed with itunes 7. Cover flow doesn't work even though I've done all that's asked. Will this be apple telling me to get a mac because the pc I use is rubbish!!! I do want to get a mac so perhaps it's that push I need or maybe not!