Apple's Schiller joins Intel's Otellini on stage at IDF

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer senior VP of Worldwide Product Marketing Phil Schiller joined Intel chief executive Paul Otellini on stage at Intel's fall developer forum on Tuesday, marking the first ever appearance of an Apple executive at the conference.

During the brief appearance, Schiller touted Intel's new Core platform and discussed how Apple has been able to innovate with sleek form factors and leverage the Intel Core family of processors across its entire computing product line.

As part of his own speech, Otellini outlined the Intel's plan to accelerate its technology leadership and told thousands of developers and engineers at the conference that advances in silicon technology will deliver new performance breakthroughs in an era of energy-efficient computing.

Otellini also disclosed that Intel will ship the world's first quad-core processors for PCs and high-volume servers in November and provided new details related to Intel's industry-leading 65nm and 45nm manufacturing technologies.

"The industry is going through the most profound shift in decades, moving to an era where performance and energy efficiency are critical in all market segments and all aspects of computing," Otellini said. "The solution begins with the transistor and extends to the chip and platform levels."

Citing recent trends, Otellini showed how processing power is becoming more relevant than ever. The advent of new operating systems, more lifelike games, online video and high- definition video continue to drive the need for more processing power. A single You Tube stream today will hobble a PC from just a few years ago, said Otellini. "As we move to high definition video, users will need eight times greater performance just for encoding."

"More than ever processing power matters, even as the need to reduce heat, extend battery life, and reduce electricity costs in data centers becomes more critical," Otellini added. "Silicon technology is at the heart of the solution. It is how we get there."

Core 2 Duo fastest-ramping product in Intel history

When it comes to performance and energy efficiency, Intel's new Core micro-architecture and flagship Intel Core2 Duo processor have set a new standard for the industry, Otellini said. He showed where Core2 Duo benchmarks led across a wide range of applications and said it was now the fastest-ramping product in the company's history, with 5 million units shipped since it was introduced less than 60 days ago.

"With Core2 Duo we have the best performance, from the thinnest notebook to dual processor servers, and we are very pleased with the way this product is ramping," he said.

Otellini went on to discuss new details around the company's plan for delivering the industry's first quad core processors for PCs and high-volume servers. The first processor, targeted at gamers and content creators, will be shipped in November and be called the Intel Core2 Extreme quad-core processor. It will feature a 70 percent performance improvement over today's Intel Core2 Extreme processor, Otellini said.

Intel's mainstream quad-core processor will be shipped in the first quarter of 2007 and will be called the Intel Core2 Quad processor. For servers, the Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor 5300 series brand for dual processor servers will be shipped this year, and a new low-power 50-watt Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor L5310 for blade servers that will be shipped in the first quarter of 2007.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Schiller got up on stage with Otellini and had the balls not to announce Core2Duo Mabook's/Pro?

/some angry crowds will gather soon..
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Schiller got up on stage with Otellini and had the balls not to announce Core2Duo Mabook's/Pro?

Would Steve give Phil that much power?
  • Reply 3 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    For all of those angry about why Merom MB and MBP's haven't been announced yet, you can see by the numbers why that is so.

Considering that Apple has such a small marketshare, and with all of the other machines being shipped, or announced by other companies, but not shipped, 5 million Core 2 chips is nothing.

Apple certainly received their fair share.

They couldn't ship SOME MB's, and SOME MBP's with Merom chips. So that has to wait for greater availability. But there were enough for the iMac line.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    "With Core2 Duo we have the best performance, from the thinnest notebook to dual processor servers, and we are very pleased with the way this product is ramping," he said.

Thanks a lot, now can we f-ing get them in the MBPs?
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent

Would Steve give Phil that much power?

Huh? You are aware they released the first MacBook's with no event?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Considering that Apple has such a small marketshare, and with all of the other machines being shipped, or announced by other companies, but not shipped, 5 million Core 2 chips is nothing.

Don't forget that "Core 2" also covers Conroe desktop processors, and at a stretch, Xeons too.

For everyone moaning about the lack of a Merom MBP: face it, Apple don't have enough Meroms yet, so quit whining!
  • Reply 7 of 30
    I know this is playing the 'what if' game, but if Apple had used Conroe in the iMac line it could probably be upgrading the MBPs to Merom with the number of Meroms it's used to make the new iMacs.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Otellini: Hey Phil, you look fat.

Schiller: Oh hey Paul, could you wear your pants any higher?
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felin

Thanks a lot, now can we f-ing get them in the MBPs?

Do you bother reading what else is posted before you do?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Don't forget that "Core 2" also covers Conroe desktop processors, and at a stretch, Xeons too.

For everyone moaning about the lack of a Merom MBP: face it, Apple don't have enough Meroms yet, so quit whining!

That's exactly correct.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

I know this is playing the 'what if' game, but if Apple had used Conroe in the iMac line it could probably be upgrading the MBPs to Merom with the number of Meroms it's used to make the new iMacs.

Possibly. I think the numbers are about the same.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Apart from the heat/noise issues, ie. Conroe is hotter than a G5, I believe it's also a packaging and manufacturing issue. In the iMac they use socketed chips so Apple could have prepared the motherboards and assembled iMacs way ahead of receiving a batch of Meroms suitable for dropping in to the sockets. Since they're pin compatible anyway, whatever minor tweaks needed are easy to do inline with your existing production line.

In a laptop, the chips are surface mounted and come in difference packaging so they can't get ahead of the chips being available.

For the people whinging that Apple haven't announced new laptops, what do you want them to do? There's still a few weeks delay on Dell, HP etc shipping the Merom based laptops they have on their sites but they of course can still sell older models. They just expand the line with a new model number for their vapourware. Apple don't do that. I'd guess we'll see new MacBook(pro)s shipping immediately at about the same time Dell or HP can actually ship product out the door.

edit: And I found this interesting...

"Schiller touted Intel's new Core 2 Duo platform and discussed how Apple has been able to innovate with sleek form factors and leverage the Intel Core family of processors across its entire computing product line."

But Phil, the form factors haven't changed since the G4/G5. :-)
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

In the iMac they use socketed chips

I really hope this means we will be able to drop new chips into old machines - and that Apple will design computers expecting users to do so. We've already seen proof of concept of this with the iMac and MacPro. I hope that in a couple years when quad and octo etc. are standard, I'll be able to drop a Core 2 or "slow" quad in my first generation Intel iMac.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1

I really hope this means we will be able to drop new chips into old machines - and that Apple will design computers expecting users to do so. We've already seen proof of concept of this with the iMac and MacPro. I hope that in a couple years when quad and octo etc. are standard, I'll be able to drop a Core 2 or "slow" quad in my first generation Intel iMac.

- Jasen.

To a point, yes. However, the iMac CPU socket is a 'Socket M' variant. Next springs Core 2 chips are 'Socket P' so you can't fit one of those into either the Core Duo or Core 2 Duo based iMac.

Socket M based Core 2 Duos are only expected up to 2.33Ghz currently.

Since it's a laptop chip, I think the prospects of a Quad Socket M chip are non-existent.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

Otellini: Hey Phil, you look fat.

Schiller: Oh hey Paul, could you wear your pants any higher?

Well, while this observation barely belongs to that thread

it is quite creepy anyway. Getting older doesn't mean gathering matter

like no tomorrow, no? Hopefully he doesn't make it a cast in the X-files soon, too.

Apple needs that particular fellow.

• Reply 16 of 30
    I think the Merom Macbook Pros will show up in January, with a case redesign, too.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

The way I read it, he did:

"With Core2 Duo we have the best performance, from the thinnest notebook to dual processor servers, and we are very pleased with the way this product is ramping,"

I think that was a slip.

Not that it's a great surprise. The question now is will they, it's when will they.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peharri

"With Core2 Duo we have the best performance, from the thinnest notebook to dual processor servers, and we are very pleased with the way this product is ramping,"

I thought Otellini said that, not Phil?
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peharri

The way I read it, he did:

I think that was a slip.

Not that it's a great surprise. The question now is will they, it's when will they.

Otellini wasn't talking about a Mac notebook when he said that.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

How is that "at a stretch" at all?