Aperture 1.5 released as free download

Posted:
in Mac Software edited July 2015
Apple Computer on Friday released the free update to its post-production photography workflow application which was announced earlier this week.

Aperture 1.5 delivers more than 20 new and enhanced features that improve file management, metadata handling, and image adjustment, the company said.

The update, which requires that users first install today's Mac OS X 10.4.8 Update, also addresses numerous issues related to overall reliability, performance, and compatibility.

A list of specific new features in Aperture 1.5 includes:

Choose how you'd like to store images: copy them into a managed Aperture Library or store them on hard drives, network volumes, or CD/DVDs and have Aperture import them in place, creating a "reference" to their physical location while acquiring them for use in Aperture.

Browse albums, Smart Albums, or your entire Aperture Library using the Media Browser in iLife '06 and iWork '06 applications.

Generate industry-standard XMP sidecar files containing all metadata when exporting master images; or batch export metadata as a tab-delimited text file.

Precisely adjust hue, saturation, and luminance on a color-by-color basis using the red, yellow, green, cyan, blue, and magenta controls in the new Color tool.

Hone sharpness with the new, luminance-based Edge Sharpen tool, which offers precise control and a three-pass algorithm.

Create Metadata Presets to speed the assignment of any combination of metadata, eliminating errors and redundant typing.

Use onscreen controls on the new Loupe to dial in magnification (100- to 1600%), select focus mode (follow Loupe or follow cursor), control Loupe size, and turn on/off display of Color values.

Manage images (both copied and referenced) using new file-management tool for relocating and checking status of images in your Library.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Holy Macaroni!
  • Reply 2 of 35
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    The title should probably be "Aperture 1.5 update released as free download", its a bit misleading otherwise.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    I want that Flickr plugin! I wonder when it will be available
  • Reply 4 of 35
    :D
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Found the Flickr Plugin

http://connectedflow.com/flickrexport/

This is really tight! I'm uploading photos now!
  • Reply 6 of 35
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi

The title should probably be "Aperture 1.5 update released as free download", its a bit misleading otherwise.

Wow, yeah, now there was a brilliant way to generate extra traffic on this website. I was thinking, ooh, Aperture for free?!?
  • Reply 7 of 35
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robrippin

I totally agree, I was like wtf? Apple is now giving away software it once charged for?!

(crosses fingers) That worked well for WebObjects...they could do it again!(/crosses fingers)
  • Reply 8 of 35
    I hope Aperture works on my new Mac Pro. It only has 1 GB of RAM and it says it requires 2 for the Mac Pro. Aperture 1.1 also supposedly required 2GB of RAM, but installed and ran with 1. Let's hope 1.5 is the same way. I don't want to spend $200+ more on RAM. If anybody has a Mac Pro w/ 1GB of RAM and the Aperture 1.5 update -- tell me if it installs/runs.

Also, why is it that the Mac Pro supposedly requires 1GB extra RAM over other computers?
  • Reply 9 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robrippin

I totally agree, I was like wtf? Apple is now giving away software it once charged for?!

Apple did this with FCP. They also gave the 1.5 away if you owned the earlier version.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Apple did this with FCP. They also gave the 1.5 away if you owned the earlier version.

Mel, the point is that AI's title can mislead people into thinking that Aperture 1.5 is available as a free download even to those who have never purchased a 1.0 or 1.1 license. What's available as a download is merely a free update, not an entire copy of the application.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    This was misleading to me as well. Just add the word "update" after the word "free" and this should end the controversy as well as my hopes! \
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Unfortunately, no free update from Aperture 1.1 Academic version
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Spoke too soon, didn't read the article about having to go to 10.4.8 first, getting update now
  • Reply 14 of 35
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Turbo

What? Worked fine for me.

I still have that saturated color problem. I NEED that fixed Apple!
  • Reply 15 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Mel, the point is that AI's title can mislead people into thinking that Aperture 1.5 is available as a free download even to those who have never purchased a 1.0 or 1.1 license. What's available as a download is merely a free update, not an entire copy of the application.

I know. My first version of this post stated that. I thought that the post I replied to thought that as well. But then I reread it after I posted.

I went back and changed it, think that people HERE would be smart enough to know that. And, after all, the article is being read by us.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Turbo

The Apeture update is free for EVERY 1.0 or 1.1 user. EVEN accademic.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

I hope Aperture works on my new Mac Pro. It only has 1 GB of RAM and it says it requires 2 for the Mac Pro. Aperture 1.1 also supposedly required 2GB of RAM, but installed and ran with 1. Let's hope 1.5 is the same way. I don't want to spend $200+ more on RAM. If anybody has a Mac Pro w/ 1GB of RAM and the Aperture 1.5 update -- tell me if it installs/runs.

Also, why is it that the Mac Pro supposedly requires 1GB extra RAM over other computers?

1.5 works excellent on my MacBook Pro with 1 GB RAM.

They actually really did an excellent job, everything is unbelievably speedy now.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

1.5 works excellent on my MacBook Pro with 1 GB RAM.

They actually really did an excellent job, everything is unbelievably speedy now.

Mac Pro -- not MacBook Pro -- Anybody get a chance to test it on the Mac Pro?

>> The Mac Pro supposedly requires 2 GB of RAM

The ironic part of course is just as I get a Mac Pro FOR Aperture, my 1.6 Ghz G5 PowerMac runs Aperture as well. It's all ok though because it will be much faster on the Mac Pro of course :-). Plus my Mac Pro's graphics card is now extremly sexy.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

Mac Pro -- not MacBook Pro -- Anybody get a chance to test it on the Mac Pro?

>> The Mac Pro supposedly requires 2 GB of RAM

The ironic part of course is just as I get a Mac Pro FOR Aperture, my 1.6 Ghz G5 PowerMac runs Aperture as well. It's all ok though because it will be much faster on the Mac Pro of course :-). Plus my Mac Pro's graphics card is now extremly sexy.

If it works on my MacBook Pro it'll work on the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

If it works on my MacBook Pro it'll work on the Mac Pro.

Not according to the system requirements. I have no clue why the Mac Pro is says it needs 2GB.