Apple's Safari to gain new tab, search and form features

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In addition to some of the larger features such as "Web Clip," which was demonstrated at Apple Computer's recent developer's conference, the next-generation of the company's Safari web browser will also deliver several other incremental innovations that aim to improve the overall web browsing experience.

According to a Musings from Mars post, three of these more subtle advancements stand out in the recent developer preview of Leopard, the next major overhaul to the Mac OS X operating system. They include manipulatable tabs, in-page searching and resizable text areas.

Manipulatable browser tabs

Beginning with Safari 3.0 -- which will ship as part of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard -- Apple will offer users more flexibility in the way they manage the numerous browser tabs that too often seem to multiply exponentially during a lengthy web surfing session.

In addition to being able to reorder tabs through drag-and-drop, Apple in Safari 3.0 is adding the ability to drag individual tabs off an existing browser window, thus creating a fresh browser window with the contents of that tab.

Users will also be able to drag tabbed windows from one Safari window to another, or ask the browser to consolidate all open windows into one, making tabs for each existing page in a single Safari browser window.

Screenshot credit: Musings from Mars

In-page lightbox searching

Safari 3.0 will dip further into Apple's Spotlight toolkit, offering in-page searching that allows users search "live" for specific search terms on any web page.

Unlike the existing version of the browser, which highlights only the first instance of a text match on a page, Safari 3.0 will find all instances of the search term right off the bat.

Instead of identifying matches with a semi-translucent blue or yellow background highlight -- which is sometimes difficult to discern -- Apple is implementing the "lightbox" technique it invented for Dashboard, dimming the web page background and shinning a spotlight on the text matches.

Screenshot credit: Musings from Mars

Resizable text areas

Finally, Web designers developing pages for Safari will no longer have to fiddle with TEXTAREA form elements in order to satisfy user requirements, while at the same time maintaining some semblence of good page design.

The version of Safari 3.0 shipping as part of Leopard Preview enables a "resize" corner that allows users to resize text fields on a web page in real time, to suit their text-editing needs.

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, along with Safari 3.0, remains on track for a release during the first half of 2007.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Sounds cool. Maybe I'll have to consider switching back from Firefox, or at least sharing time between them.

By the way, I just wanted to say that this forum has some dang good smileys.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

Sounds cool. Maybe I'll have to consider switching back from Firefox, or at least sharing time between them.

dang!
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Quote:

Resizable text areas

I saw this in Webkit not long ago, but it disappeared again. Really handy. I thought it might become a part of a later build of Safari for Tiger, though.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

In addition to being able to reorder tabs through drag-and-drop, Apple in Safari 3.0 is adding the ability to drag individual tabs off an existing browser window, thus creating a fresh browser window with the contents of that tab.

Users will also be able to drag tabbed windows from one Safari window to another, or ask the browser to consolidate all open windows into one, making tabs for each existing page in a single Safari browser window.

Firefox does all of this now.

Quote:

In-page lightbox searching

Safari 3.0 will dip further into Apple's Spotlight toolkit, offering in-page searching that allows users search "live" for specific search terms on any web page.

Unlike the existing version of the browser, which highlights only the first instance of a text match on a page, Safari 3.0 will find all instances of the search term right off the bat.

Instead of identifying matches with a semi-translucent blue or yellow background highlight -- which is sometimes difficult to discern -- Apple is implementing the "lightbox" technique it invented for Dashboard, dimming the web page background and shinning a spotlight on the text matches.

This might be pretty nice. Firefox does offer a "highlight all" but no "dim everything else". They both perform the same function, which is better is probably a matter of personal preference.

Quote:

Finally, Web designers developing pages for Safari will no longer have to fiddle with TEXTAREA form elements in order to satisfy user requirements, while at the same time maintaining some semblence of good page design.

Is this fixing a bug or adding a feature?

Quote:

The version of Safari 3.0 shipping as part of Leopard Preview enables a "resize" corner that allows users to resize text fields on a web page in real time, to suit their text-editing needs.

OK, maybe this is pretty nice. Some sites only provide a tiny post-entry area.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by henrikmk

I saw this in Webkit not long ago, but it disappeared again.

It didn't disappear. You need to manually enable it. Set WebKitTextAreasAreResizable to true.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    So far, the best solution I've found for too many tabs in Safari:
    • go into Preferences

• click on the Tabs tab

• uncheck "Enable Tabbed Browsing"

• Reply 7 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Actually Firefox doesn't do all of this... yes it allows you to reorder tabs, but you can drag a tab off a window to make a new one, or drag a tab over to another browser... Very nice feature.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Huh??? Mine (1.5.0.7) certainly doesn't do this. IF i have another window open I can drag a tab to it and the page goes to the tab page. The original tab isn't removed from the original window and I can't just drag it off the page. Also, if there's a way to consolidate tab in one window I haven't found it yet.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe

• go into Preferences

• click on the Tabs tab

Are you trying to be clever, or just annoying? Do you really prefer the proliferation of windows over the proliferation of tabs?
  • Reply 10 of 61
    Also.. these things were all discovered during the week of WWDC... nothing new to see here folks.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe

Actually Firefox doesn't do all of this... yes it allows you to reorder tabs, but you can drag a tab off a window to make a new one, or drag a tab over to another browser... Very nice feature.

OK, you are right, a couple of the features aren't currently performed, namely combining and splitting windows. You can drag a tab to another existing window though, or another browser. I just dragged this tab from Firefox to Safari.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe

• go into Preferences

• click on the Tabs tab

Haha.

Well that's true, though I doubt that having way too many windows is better...
  • Reply 13 of 61
    Quote:

OK, you are right, a couple of the features aren't currently performed, namely combining and splitting windows. You can drag a tab to another existing window though, or another browser. I just dragged this tab from Firefox to Safari.

Yeah but that just reloads the page... you could just drag the "clipping" from any browser on a mac and drag it to another window's address panel.. The cool thing about this, is it isn't treated as a page to open, it's treated as a consistant page that say if you are changing things on it (text boxes etc) those "changes" remain even after moving it arround.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I hope this allows the downloads window to be turned into another tab like the plugins page but I suspect not.

Even better would be if there was a permanent toggle button that made the downloads appear and disappear in the window.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Would just be nice if there was a way to alphabetize the bookmarks.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    It depends on what I'm doing. I perfer windows to tabs in some cases, and tabs in others. For instance, if I'm doing something that requires me to look at multiple windows at the same time, and it's too many to set side-by-side, I'll use windows because I can view them all at once via Expose, then quickly go back to my text field. Although this wouldn't work without Expose... It's easier then constantly switching between tabs and having to find where I left off over and over again.

But for normal browsing, I'll use tabs to save space.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

Odd then that you chose not to use any in your post.\
  • Reply 18 of 61
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

You forgot: "Less space than an iRiver. No wireless. Lame."
  • Reply 19 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

Would just be nice if there was a way to alphabetize the bookmarks.

Here Ya Go....Saft Plug-In http://haoli.dnsalias.com/Saft/

It does MUCH more than just alphabetize Bookmarks,Check it out.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    What Safari REALLY needs is to get serious about allowing users to force Safari to open any and all windows in tabs no matter what. Even with all of the settings set to open new items in tabs, it's still anybody's guess sometimes if a link or whatnot will open in a tab or a new window.

That's why I like Opera 9 so much - EVERYTHING opens in a new tab, unless the link is a specific, allowed pop-up. I want one and only one browser window, and that's one of the things that really pisses me off about Safari when I use it. (I also love how Opera handles downloads via a tab, instead of a new window, and wish Safari had an option to do the same.)