Widescreen, wireless, true video iPod imminent? (engadget)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Yeah, but they could easily make the first video iPod the same size, thickness and weight as the 80GB iPod. And then evolve it to become the same size thickness and weight as the current 30GB iPod. With the battery life of the current 80GB one.

I'd bet they probably could. And they probably will.

But at this point, battery life would be the same as the current iPod, if not worse because of the bigger screen, 6.5 hours or less. Not really acceptable for most people.

And the rumors are saying some sort of gesture screen, which is brand new technology. They absolutely need to get it right. And if they want a screen the full size of the iPod, they'd need to come up with something new since there's no room for a button wheel, and a touch screen would be bad because of fingerprints.

Slapping a bigger screen on the current iPod would be fairly easy. Implementing a whole new interface is *much* harder.

And I assume whenever it ships, it will almost certainly be more expensive than current iPods.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

How do you know Apple can do make that and keep the price at $350?

Mock ups cost a lot less money than actual product development.

Why keep it at $350? iPods have been as high as $600. There's no reason to say that Apple won't add the iPod video as a higher end product than the current iPod, maybe introducing two models at $449 and $549, or something. No, sales won't be huge-huge; but they'll satisfy the market that wants the product, while letting people who want a normal iPod without fingerprints on the screen to buy theirs for $349.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Dirk

...people who want a normal iPod without fingerprints on the screen...

For the record, the rumors are saying it will use a touchless "gesture" interface. No touching, no fingerprints.

Although who knows if the rumor is true?
  • Reply 24 of 50
    Quote:

Another thing about the Zen Vision. Its a pretty creative twist of logic to say that Apple should implement a feature. Then use a competitors product as an example of that feature when that very product is a dismal failure in comparison to the astronomical success of Apple's current product.

oh sorry i forgot about the BLINDNESS with which one must post on this board

//Why doesn't anyone ever ask themselves....

If that type of device was actually practical and affordable, why isn't anyone else making it?

Why would Apple's competitors sit around waiting for Apple to make it?

If this device was something that they could actually manufacture, why did Microsoft not make this instead of Zune being a iPod knock off.

The simplest answer is because this is not a practical or affordable device to manufacture at this time.//

the implication you are trying to make in the above statment is that NO SUCH PLAYER EXISTS.

i simply pointed out that IT DOES EXIST.

if you want to rant into your own little head, i wont loose sleep over it.

i agree with all arguments about Apple not putting one out till the battery life is sorted.. but id expect the battery life on an ipod video to INCREASE... just like we are used to the 50% thinner announcements.

i WILL upgrade to a 'proper' video ipod IF one is produced BY APPLE, but im not BLIND to the fact that someone else is producing something similar NOW, the fact that you or I or anyone else thinks its ugly and does not sell does not mean that it HASNT been produced by a company and is avalible to buy NOW.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer

i WILL upgrade to a 'proper' video ipod IF one is produced BY APPLE, but im not BLIND to the fact that someone else is producing something similar NOW, the fact that you or I or anyone else thinks its ugly and does not sell does not mean that it HASNT been produced by a company and is avalible to buy NOW.

The zen isn't that similar. The iPod is rumored to have a gesture interface, which as far as I know has never been shown. Has anyone even done touchscreen on a media player? The zen screen isn't even the full size of the unit.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Quote:

The Palm TX, LifeDrive, and T3 are not iPod competitors their purpose and functionality are designed for completely different markets. The Palms are thicker or heavier or both than the iPod and all Palm devices have significantly less battery life.

I wasn't saying they were iPod competitors, or meant to be. You said the idea of wireless full/touchscreen iPods wasn't feasible or affordable. I was simply calling you on that crap. The Lifedrive is a few years old, and technology has enhanced in touch sensitivity, battery life, and screen technology since then. Apple already has these new technologies in its labs.

Quote:

LifeDrive has a 4GB hard drive, the iPod has 30GB and 80GB.

No sh!t...really?
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MovieCutter

You said the idea of wireless full/touchscreen iPods wasn't feasible or affordable.

No, he said that wireless AND full/touchscreen AND 30/80 gig capacity AND good battery life AND small size/weight, all at the same time, isn't feasable or affordable right now.

And pointing to a box that only has a couple of those features doesn't prove that wrong.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

The zen isn't that similar. The iPod is rumored to have a gesture interface, which as far as I know has never been shown. Has anyone even done touchscreen on a media player? The zen screen isn't even the full size of the unit.

i guess you have me there.... a TV isnt that similar either but they both play movies

jeez

you people would FREAK if someone ripped a 'potential' ipod design/featureset off.... yet when the other company ISNT exactly like a RUMORED ipod with RUMORED features... that other company is crap... one cant win agains that sort of logic.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer

i guess you have me there.... a TV isnt that similar either but they both play movies

Well, yeah. Apple ABSOLUTELY could take an ipod and just make the screen bigger. Piece of cake. But that's not what's rumored.

And I never said that any other company is crap, merely that none of the other examples do everything that the rumored future video ipod is alleged to do.

There still remain technological barriers that need to be overcome, that's the whole point of this discussion, not whether other companies are crap or not. Take your straw man elsewhere.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

Well, yeah. Apple ABSOLUTELY could take an ipod and just make the screen bigger. Piece of cake. But that's not what's rumored.

And I never said that any other company is crap, merely that none of the other examples do everything that the rumored future video ipod is alleged to do.

There still remain technological barriers that need to be overcome, that's the whole point of this discussion, not whether other companies are crap or not. Take your straw man elsewhere.

a request was implied that no company made such a device... i pointed to somewhere that DID make it... and im STILL in the wrong??!!???

the RUMORED ipod might not have all these RUMORED features either, but then IF it gets released without the 4 billion pixel wide-holo-screen that SOMEONE might have RUMORED over the last couple a years or the extending umberlla on the RUMORED higher capacity model then i bet those people will be on here moaning about the "LACK OF DIRECTION" Apple have!!???

when the first line in this thread reads

//Engadget says the true video iPod may be coming very soon. Pinch of salt as usual, but...//

you gotta wonder how a Mythical much desired much rumored ipod holo video is EVER gonna live up to peoples expectations... so how the heck is some small time outfit like creative gonna produce a 'widescreen' movie player? well gosh darn look at what they went an dun.

i dont think apple would release something as ugly, but if a small time outfit like creative can do it, im sure apple can manage it somehow....

...just not "yet"
  • Reply 31 of 50
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

the implication you are trying to make in the above statment is that NO SUCH PLAYER EXISTS.

I guess I should have been more explicit and descriptive.

A full screen/touchscreen mp3 player, with an 80GB had drive, that plays audio for 20 hours, video for 6.5 hours, .55 inches thick depth, and weighs 5.5 ounces.

Quote:

a request was implied that no company made such a device... i pointed to somewhere that DID make it... and im STILL in the wrong??

Well, no such player exists on the market.

Quote:

You said the idea of wireless full/touchscreen iPods wasn't feasible or affordable. I was simply calling you on that crap.

Touchscreen devices have been around for nearly twenty years. So yes I know they exist.

You cannot pull out a touchscreen device that does not have the same functionality or attributes of the iPod. And use that as example why the iPod should be touchscreen.

Which is why I explained the differences between the Palm devices and the iPod.

Quote:

yet when the other company ISNT exactly like a RUMORED ipod with RUMORED features... that other company is crap... one cant win agains that sort of logic.

I didn't call the Zen or the Palm devices crap. I only showed the differences between them and the iPod. The iPod is thinner, lighter, and has longer battery life. At this point Apple would have to give up those three advantages to have a fullscreen/touchscreen iPod.

Which is why there is no fullscreen/touchscreen iPod
  • Reply 32 of 50
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

so how the heck is some small time outfit like creative gonna produce a 'widescreen' movie player? well gosh darn look at what they went an dun.

As has been pointed out putting a larger screen on the iPod is possible. But it comes with a increase in size, weight, and a loss of battery life.

Size, weight, and battery life are more important to Apple than a larger screen. At some point technology will get over that hurdle.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    There is an article over on trustedreviews.com claiming an executive of an iPod accessory maker is confirming December for the launch of a touchscreen iPod:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=3567
  • Reply 34 of 50
    How trusted are these guys? I'm excited about a new iPod, but in December?! That just doesn't make sense to me, people are already buying 5.5G iPods in anticipation for Christmas! The iPod would HAVE to come out on or before Thanksgiving in order to be on time for the Holiday season!
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skwidspawn

How trusted are these guys? I'm excited about a new iPod, but in December?! That just doesn't make sense to me, people are already buying 5.5G iPods in anticipation for Christmas! The iPod would HAVE to come out on or before Thanksgiving in order to be on time for the Holiday season!

I said the same thing. It seems like Apple would upset a lot of gift-givers, even if they released at the beginning of December. Today was my first experience with the site, so I can't comment on their reliability.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Well seeing as how there are only three Tuesdays in December (before Christmas), Apple would have to come out with it as early as possible. This would make it the 5th. I don't know if I buy it. It would make more sense if it came out around Thanksgiving. After all, the busiest buying day of the year is the day after Thanksgiving. Guess we'll see.

Edit: I also noticed this site is in the UK so possibly it will be out in Europe by December but here sooner.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    man, this rumor is getting old.

I hope they bring it in November so it will shadow the Zune.

December seems too late for the xmas shopping spree.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I really get tired of these 'yet-another-true-video' iPod rumor.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kenneth

I really get tired of these 'yet-another-true-video' iPod rumor.

would 'yet-another-true-video' iPod rumor be ok if it was 'yet-another-true-video-iPod-that-is-also-iTV-universal-remote' be ok? ;D
  • Reply 40 of 50
    I think it would be really cool if they gave the new iPod a wireless connectivity option like wireless USB or Bluetooth, I know these are short range but Bluetooth is less battery-draining and wUSB would be a really good way to future proof it.

If it was a universal remote that would pretty awesome. I don't even own an iPod currently but I would probably buy one with a larger screen that did that. It is quite funny, I used to hate iPods, it's like a guilty pleasure.

And if they were equiped with a type of wireless connectivity they should release an accessory for older iPods that allowed them to share. This would mean the buyers of the 5.5 G would feel less miffed about their iPods being not completely new and completely own the Zune's main advantage.

BTW, only 2nd post ever.