Apple unveils iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

That's a pretty good lookin iPod they got ther eh?

Definitely. Would it be in poor taste if I used my laser engraver to etch a biohazard symbol on it?
  • Reply 22 of 85
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

In this case, it would be so much more effective to spend the money on education and economic development. Anti-retroviral drugs don't do ANYTHING to stop the spread of the disease.

That's true... 'all' the retroviral drugs do is keep the victims ALIVE longer. A mere trifle, that.

I'm sure if any of us had full-blown AIDS, we'd want to get drugs that'd keep us alive for several more years, and even give us a shot at living long enough to see a cure.

• Reply 23 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

Because the drug manufacturers don't have enough money to fund this kind of research.</sarcasm>

If ANY industry should be expected to donate it is the pharmaceutical industry.

True. The pharmaceutical companies are making a fortune, selling these drugs to African nations and also by blocking the selling of generic drugs.

The Vatican should also make very large donations since it's their 'education' about contraception that is in part to blame for the spread of AIDS.

This whole situation is such a farce though. Still, I'm glad to see that Apple can turn a profit out of it.
  • Reply 24 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_gonzo

Obviously Apple is a company. The only reason they're doing this is to improve their public image. Imagine if I were to do a charity run or something and then I say in small print "I will give 10% of the donations to charity!". It's the same principle here.

And it really doesn't matter, so long as, at the end of the day, said charities get their $$$ so they can go and help people out.

For example, Bill Gates is obviously an evil SOB, but I don't complain about him giving billions to charity through his fund. You can't really look a gift horse (or SOB) in the mouth. \

• Reply 25 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins

And it really doesn't matter, so long as, at the end of the day, said charities get their $$$ so they can go and help people out.

For example, Bill Gates is obviously an evil SOB, but I don't complain about him giving billions to charity through his fund. You can't really look a gift horse (or SOB) in the mouth. \

True.

It's just the smugness of people like Jobs and Bono that really pissess me off. Bono especially acts like he's Jesus Christ or something with his false humbleness.
  • Reply 26 of 85
    Do does the RED gift card donate money as well?

All-in-all this is a great way to raise awareness. Even if someone doesn't buy the RED iPod Nano, they may look into the Global Fund, or a similar important cause because of the publicity.
  • Reply 27 of 85
    Quote:

That's true... 'all' the retroviral drugs do is keep the victims ALIVE longer. A mere trifle, that.

I'm sure if any of us had full-blown AIDS, we'd want to get drugs that'd keep us alive for several more years, and even give us a shot at living long enough to see a cure.

I guess that I don't see a cure coming as fast as getting a handle on it through early detection and care to prevent its transmission. I believe that we will see the world get a handle on AIDS during our lifetime (well, I'm young, I don't know about your lifetime), but I believe it will come through education, not drugs.

If you think about it, this disease is actually quite a bit more solvable than the common cold--in the long run I mean, as long as the virus never becomes airborne. That is not to trivialize it, obviously the effects of AIDS are much more devastating, and it is no small matter to prevent it from spreading. However, I do think that AIDS will be cured faster by education and economic development than by any drug research.

Also, it's not an issue of what will help one person, it's a question of what will alleviate the most suffering. If I have the choice to alleviate one person's current suffering, or to prevent 10 persons' future suffering, I'm going with the latter choice, sorry. In a world without limitted resources, by all means, let's support EVERY charitable cause. However, if you are going to donate money to alleviate suffering, why not be economical about it and alleviate as much suffering as possible per dollar?
  • Reply 28 of 85
    Quote:

True.

It's just the smugness of people like Jobs and Bono that really pissess me off. Bono especially acts like he's Jesus Christ or something with his false humbleness.

Agreed. Bono has quite the ego, no doubt. But at least he's DOING something.

I'll take 'egotistical and doing something' over 'humble and sitting on one's ass', any day. \

• Reply 29 of 85
    Quote:

However, I do think that AIDS will be cured faster by education and economic development than by any drug research.

It won't be cured by such investments, but it will be contained and largely prevented by them. Obviously those are extremely worthwhile things to do. But a true CURE will obviously take research.

The key thing in the meantime is to not get caught in the trap of research vs education/prevention. Its not an 'either-or' thing. You need both. And while Project RED does its thing, other resources are being brought to bear on the other parts of the problem.

Though I'd say that ALL parts of the problem, including research, could use more resources.

• Reply 30 of 85
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I really don't think he's so hard to ignore if you don't like him, which is probably part of why I don't know why you think he's being smug. I generally don't pay any attention to anybody in entertainment, more than doubly so when they aren't even performing their craft.
  • Reply 31 of 85
    Quote:

Its not an 'either-or' thing. You need both.

Obviously it's not ONLY one or ONLY the other, but every dollar is either or in this case, if you go to the real decision maker. In this case, you could say the decision maker is Apple. Apple has the choice to send the $10 to the global fund to be used for anti-retroviral drugs, or to another charity which is setting up much needed aquaduct, farming, and road builing prjects, or to another which is setting up classes to teach people to read so they have the tools to truly know for themselves if the doctor or the shaman is telling the truth, or to another which sets up classes to teach Africans about the causes and prevention of AIDS.
  • Reply 32 of 85
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Just a question...why does everyone always claim Bono is smug and has a huge ego? What proof do you guys have? Or do you just say it because the guy is always on tv giving to something and because he's in the public eye trying to help instead of silently donating a bit of money at some function that automatically makes him a media hungry ego driven ass?

Don't get me wrong I could care less about him or U2(I only ever liked that song off the Batman Forever soundtrack) but it seems like people are jealous he's doing what he's doing so they jump on his back and claim he's full of himself.
  • Reply 33 of 85
    Quote:

Obviously it's not ONLY one or ONLY the other, but every dollar is either or in this case, if you go to the real decision maker. In this case, you could say the decision maker is Apple. Apple has the choice to send the $10 to the global fund to be used for anti-retroviral drugs, or to another charity which is setting up much needed aquaduct, farming, and road builing prjects, or to another which is setting up classes to teach people to read so they have the tools to truly know for themselves if the doctor or the shaman is telling the truth, or to another which sets up classes to teach Africans about the causes and prevention of AIDS.

Valid arguments, if its true that OVERALL much more money is being spent on retroviral drugs than education/prevention. If so, a rebalancing of resources is needed.

But I'm not the one you need to convince. Send an email to [email protected] , if you truly want to do something about it, regarding the millions that will coming in due to Project RED Nanos.

• Reply 34 of 85
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I don't get how he's being over smug. Admittedly being an entertainer some degree of narcism comes with the territory.

Especially at this particular time in our self indulgent culture and incredibly lopsided distribution of great wealth, it is important for those who have access to mass media to remind people to give to those who are not as fortunate.

Africa is important because Western society would not be what it is without Africa. For hundreds of years Africa has been plundered of its natural resources and labor. These resources and labor have been used to make Europe and the United States as prosperous and wealthy as they have become.

In return for all of this prosperity many of the native people of Africa have received war, poverty, disease and starvation.

Quote:

That's CRAZY. This whole campaign is a sham.

As has been stated $10 times millions is tens of millions.

This campaign makes it cool and convenient to give. While we are living our privileged lifestyles buying $200 iPods and $75 Gap jeans a portion of that will go to help people who are not as fortunate. Outside of this campaign most people would not give $10 to anything.
  • Reply 35 of 85
    Also, to get back to the actual PRODUCT a bit... I REALLY like the way the red Nano looks. In fact, I'm suprised, as I usually don't like red, but they chose a good shade. 8)

It now replaces the silver Nano as my fave, even though the white clickwheel does make it look like a 'Canadian' or Target iPod. A red clickwheel would've been slightly better, but still, overall, I want one.

(Though, in a perfect world, there'd be a 3G Nano for me to buy that had a larger screen and did video, with 10+ GB of flash memory. Next year, right Steve? )

• Reply 36 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

As has been stated $10 times millions is tens of millions.

This campaign makes it cool and convenient to give. While we are living our privileged lifestyles buying $200 iPods and $75 Gap jeans a portion of that will go to help people who are not as fortunate. Outside of this campaign most people would not give $10 to anything.

That pretty much hits the nail on the head. Could not agree more. Its an effective campaign and a good idea long overdue.

• Reply 37 of 85
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    As for where the money goes here is a portion of the (RED) manifesto.

If You buy a (RED) product or a (RED) service, at no cost to you, a (RED) company will give some of its profits to buy and distribute anti-retroviral medicine to our brothers and sisters dying and AIDS in Africa.

(RED) is not a charity simply a business model. You buy (RED) stuff, we get the money, buy the pills and distribute them. They take the pills, stay alive, and continue to take care of their families and contribute socially and economically in their communities.

I'm sure to go along with helping people with AIDS stay alive. They will educate those people on how to live with AIDS responsibly.
  • Reply 38 of 85
    Quote:

I guess that I don't see a cure coming as fast as getting a handle on it through early detection and care to prevent its transmission. I believe that we will see the world get a handle on AIDS during our lifetime (well, I'm young, I don't know about your lifetime), but I believe it will come through education, not drugs.

It will come through both and other things as well. I have seen estimates of 30% of African children in some countries are orphans. HIV and the resulting AIDS infections and deaths are devastating and there is no simple one answer. There are 12 known strands of HIV that all react differently to medication. Then there are people that have more than one strand etc.

It is very hard to educate when the current US administration is hell bent on abstinence education only.

I called one of the American lines set up for teenagers. Here is how our conversation went:

ME: when is it okay to have sex?

THEM: when you are married.

ME: what if I can't get married?

THEM: everyone can get married.

ME: Im gay.

THEM: well then you need to marry a woman or never have sex.

That is why the world is so messed up. We try to legislate morality instead of legislating common scene.

Quote:

If you think about it, this disease is actually quite a bit more solvable than the common cold--in the long run I mean, as long as the virus never becomes airborne. That is not to trivialize it, obviously the effects of AIDS are much more devastating, and it is no small matter to prevent it from spreading. However, I do think that AIDS will be cured faster by education and economic development than by any drug research.

Yes because the common cold is so easy to solve, none of us has ever had it </sarcasm>

Transmission of the virus might be diminished through education but a cure will only come through research and science.

Quote:

Also, it's not an issue of what will help one person, it's a question of what will alleviate the most suffering. If I have the choice to alleviate one person's current suffering, or to prevent 10 persons' future suffering, I'm going with the latter choice, sorry. In a world without limitted resources, by all means, let's support EVERY charitable cause. However, if you are going to donate money to alleviate suffering, why not be economical about it and alleviate as much suffering as possible per dollar?

Um you do realize that over 50% of the population in some African countries are suffering because of HIV/AIDS? We can help alleviate that suffering now, and educate them when the medications are dispensed. When these drugs are given out they are not handed out like candy to a child. They come with instructions and counseling, while the counseling might not be a lot, its enough to teach them how to protect others and them selves.
  • Reply 39 of 85
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

This money doesn't go directly to African families.

Obviously Apple is a company. The only reason they're doing this is to improve their public image. Imagine if I were to do a charity run or something and then I say in small print "I will give 10% of the donations to charity!". It's the same principle here.

Troll.
  • Reply 40 of 85
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeState

It is very hard to educate when the current US administration is hell bent on abstinence education only.

I called one of the American lines set up for teenagers. Here is how our conversation went:

ME: when is it okay to have sex?

THEM: when you are married.

ME: what if I can't get married?

THEM: everyone can get married.

ME: Im gay.

THEM: well then you need to marry a woman or never have sex.

Wow. You're serious, that was a real phone call?

Man that is wierd. Like, I could understand if they were recommending marriage before sex, that kind of makes sense as a public policy, because it's good for the society. Still though, you'd think they would be willing to provide some information and counseling for people who are going to be having sex. Or at the very least say "sorry we don't have information available to help you, please contact such and such organization". But "well then you need to marry a woman or never have sex."! that's like something from a comedy sketch!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeState

Yes because the common cold is so easy to solve, none of us has ever had it </sarcasm>

huh? What I wrote was clearly saying that the common cold was virtually impossible to eradicate because it is transmitted so easily. How did you miss that?