Apple unveils iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

You aren't by any chance confusing gross margin and net margin, are you?

What about R&D? Localization? Support?…

Ahh… now you mention it, yes, I was. So actually the pie is a completely innaccurate representation of how the cost divides up.

I will try and find some figures for Apple's net profit per Nano. But if JeffDM's 10% estimate is right then I guess $10 out of $20 dollars is actually quite a generous donation.

Andrew
  • Reply 82 of 85
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SquidThing

Ahh? now you mention it, yes, I was. So actually the pie is a completely innaccurate representation of how the cost divides up...I will try and find some figures for Apple's net profit per Nano. But if JeffDM's 10% estimate is right then I guess $10 out of $20 dollars is actually quite a generous donation....Andrew

Yes, $10 off the cost of each Red Nano is a significant cut into Apple's profits. It flows two ways for the corporation though, one is corporate responsibility, one is to deflect attention away from it's environmental record ( reduced packaging is good, but they're still getting heat eg. http://www.greenpeace.org/apple/ ) ... and also the third is PR and marketing in its own right to increase iPod sales and brand awareness. 8)
  • Reply 83 of 85
    I had heard that with the new iPods that there really wasn't any localization. Someone said the language & software are the same for all iPods bought anywere around the world - you have to choose the language when you turn it on. I also heard that with the 2nd g Nano & 5.5gen video that the quick start (the only paper that comes with the iPod) is either all graphic or only in English...even in countries with a different native language! Actually, I had heard that the iPods sold in France had a different volume setting (The only one), but other than that, haven't they pretty much eliminated localization and put that responsibility on the consumer? Any one have a different experience / knowledge, or have I been barking up the wrong tree? Thanks!
  • Reply 84 of 85
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected]

I had heard that with the new iPods that there really wasn't any localization. Someone said the language & software are the same for all iPods bought anywere around the world - you have to choose the language when you turn it on. I also heard that with the 2nd g Nano & 5.5gen video that the quick start (the only paper that comes with the iPod) is either all graphic or only in English...even in countries with a different native language!

I thought my 1G nano requested the language on first use, the same with the original 5G iPod, I might even have pictures somewhere to show this. Maybe 4G iPods did it this way, I don't remember. When I wiped my 1G nano's partitioning, it had a screen that said something like "please use iPod updater" in five languages.

The Quick Start guide is heavily graphical, but mine has English text for the captioning. It would be easy to adapt to other languages. The warranty sheet has a lot of dense text though.
  • Reply 85 of 85
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Both Bono and U2 claims of concern for unfortunate people in poor countries would seem less phony if they didn't use every scheme in the book to evade paying taxes in Ireland and elsewhere while, at the same time haranguing governments to spend more money on foreign aid. They're also accumulating wealth and living lifestyles far above, not just the African poor, but above the great majority of the people in affluent countries.

Like Barbara Streisand and Al Gore, with their private-jet lifestyles and huge, environmentally wasteful homes, I grow tired of hypocritical celebrities lecturing us on how we ought to live while living extravagant, wasteful lives themselves. Their motto is obvious: "Do as I say, not as I do."

Bono, Streisand, Gore and the rest should shut up and focus on cleaning up their own lifestyles. Apple should show a bit of sense and quit releasing "Red" products until these celebrities, one of them on their own board, live a bit less like the hypocrites they are.

--Michael W. Perry, Editor of Across Asia on a Bicycle