Apple-Google collaboration may deliver new Safari tie-ins

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer's fledgling partnership with Internet search giant Google may provide some new enhancements to Apple's Safari web browser with next year's the release of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.



People familiar with the matter say the two companies have tossed around the idea of allowing Safari 3.0 to access Google's AntiTrust database through a plug-in or under-the-hood extension.



The tie-in, those people say, would offer Safari users another level of security by automatically detecting "phishy" websites or malicious URLs.



Word of the potential Safari enhancement comes just days after bloggers discovered that Apple may also be working to allow its iPhoto digital photo cataloging application to interact with Google's Maps service.



Previous reports have also suggested that Apple in Leopard would extend its Spotlight search technology to pull search results from Google's search databases. The Mac maker, however, has so far remained relatively mum on its plans for Spotlight in the next-generation operating system.



While unveiling Leopard this past August, Apple chief executive Steve Jobs highlighted 10 major enhancements due in the release but said the company was keeping several other features "top secret" until a later date.



On Thursday, Apple brought the pre-release copy of Leopard available to its developers up to build 9A283. The update delivered "significant user interface changes to iCal," "basic editing in Preview," and "new Parental Controls [...] for content filtering, apps, and curfews."



In a report from earlier this month, AppleInsider also touched on several other features expected in Safari 3.0, including manipulatable browser tabs, in-page lightbox searching, and resizable text areas.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,227member
    How about linking iCal and Google Calendar as well. That would be pretty nice
  • Reply 2 of 23
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    They are.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco


    They are.



    You cannot sync the two at this point. You can import and export, but you can't keep the data in sync properly.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison


    How about linking iCal and Google Calendar as well. That would be pretty nice



    Fully two way syncing that would be sweet.

    Not sure where that leaves .Mac...
  • Reply 5 of 23
    I think that after this update people who are still using Firefox will be crazy.



    Don't get me wrong, I like Firefox alot but I know a lot of people who don't use safari for some reason. And now they'd be crazy not to, with all these extra perks.



    BTW- I'm a big RSS reader and that's why I use Safari, Firefox ain't got nothin on Safari RSS.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,227member
    .mac would still be a solid by for some. I'm not sure what kind of traction Google's getting with their calendar. I'm still using 30 boxes for my social stuff but I update my google calendar as well.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Nice, MacOS is becoming GoogleOS. I like the integration with Google's tools.



    I Primarily use Firefox on Mac and PC, but for banking I use IE on Windows and Netscape on mac. Some banking sites still don't work very well with Firefox and Safari.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

    I think that after this update people who are still using Firefox will be crazy.



    Don't get me wrong, I like Firefox alot but I know a lot of people who don't use safari for some reason. And now they'd be crazy not to, with all these extra perks.



    The Firefox 2.0 beta has this feature, although I'm not sure where they get their phishing database from.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    It would be awesome if Google release Picasa for the Mac!
  • Reply 10 of 23
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay


    Don't get me wrong, I like Firefox alot but I know a lot of people who don't use safari for some reason. .



    There are still way too many sites that un-Safari friendly.. Banking, utility companies...



    Perhaps my biggest gripe is real estate and MLS related sites.. After years of convincing, I finally got my brother to buy a Mac... Little did I know his wife (a real estate agent) would not be able to access and/or login to most of the websites that she needs to use on a daily basis.



    Thank God for Boot Camp or I would've never heard the end of it..
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay


    I think that after this update people who are still using Firefox will be crazy.



    Don't get me wrong, I like Firefox alot but I know a lot of people who don't use safari for some reason. And now they'd be crazy not to, with all these extra perks.



    BTW- I'm a big RSS reader and that's why I use Safari, Firefox ain't got nothin on Safari RSS.



    Agreed.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun


    There are still way too many sites that un-Safari friendly.. Banking, utility companies...



    Perhaps my biggest gripe is real estate and MLS related sites.. After years of convincing, I finally got my brother to buy a Mac... Little did I know his wife (a real estate agent) would not be able to access and/or login to most of the websites that she needs to use on a daily basis.



    Thank God for Boot Camp or I would've never heard the end of it..



    What? You're saying they restart in Windows so they can use IE? I've *never* come across a site that works in IE but doesn't in Opera, Firefox, Netscap, or Safari on Mac. That's unheard of to me.



    The other thing I think is that some sites say that they require IE to run. But in all cases that I've seen that, they don't know what they're talking about because they run fine in other browsers.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Ummm ... rumor has it that Safari absolutely screams in 10.5.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

    Ummm ... rumor has it that Safari absolutely screams in 10.5.



    There are indeed features in Webkit that are enormously much faster (about 10-20 times on my own page tests) than in Safari such as writing to innerHTML with javascript, but it only about brings it on par with Camino and Opera in that respect.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay


    What? You're saying they restart in Windows so they can use IE? I've *never* come across a site that works in IE but doesn't in Opera, Firefox, Netscap, or Safari on Mac. That's unheard of to me.



    The other thing I think is that some sites say that they require IE to run. But in all cases that I've seen that, they don't know what they're talking about because they run fine in other browsers.



    I found one the other day when trying to track my new iMac, which is kind of ironic in a way. But thanks t my hosemates iMac and parrallels it is all fine.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun


    There are still way too many sites that un-Safari friendly.. Banking, utility companies...



    Perhaps my biggest gripe is real estate and MLS related sites.. After years of convincing, I finally got my brother to buy a Mac... Little did I know his wife (a real estate agent) would not be able to access and/or login to most of the websites that she needs to use on a daily basis.



    Thank God for Boot Camp or I would've never heard the end of it..



    I'd never suggest mail-bombing MLS, but some have said they deserve it.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by henrikmk


    There are indeed features in Webkit that are enormously much faster (about 10-20 times on my own page tests) than in Safari such as writing to innerHTML with javascript, but it only about brings it on par with Camino and Opera in that respect.



    No it's not, even Firefox 2.0 is still about 1/9th of the speed of Safari 2.0, let alone 3.0.



    Just because the name has "fire" and "fox" in it doesn't mean it actually is fast, cause it's not.



    Opera's a bit faster than Firefox, and is a bit faster than Safari for tables and scripts, but is still many times slower at rendering CSS.



    http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html
  • Reply 18 of 23
    If Apple's tying in a bunch of Google services into the Mac OS, I hope they go and make the White and Yellow Pages widgets give you a Google map when you click on an address, rather than that horrible Mapquest map that they're currently using.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    The first thing Apple needs to do is get Safari working fully with Gmail and the other Ajax based services...



    Apple better not make us pay for Leopard just to get decent Safari compatibility...
  • Reply 20 of 23
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    a little off topic but i am still finding camino to be faster than safari on 10.4.8. anyone else agree?
Sign In or Register to comment.