Special Report: Apple's touch-sensitive iPod ambitions disclosed in filing

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Plague Bearer

One MAJOR drawback to the whole touch sensitive display interface is it's lack of tactile feedback. With the current iPods You can find and use the controls without seeing them. Ever keep your iPod in an inner coat pocket? when a song your not in the mood for shuffles up. You can just reach in. Locate the edge of the wheel and click next. Since the wheel is offset from the center, you can tell the orientation of the ipod during the action. The prospect of this with nothing more than a flat slab? Useless. The ipod must then come out of the pocket. It must be visible to others while you do your thing. It's effortless interface just became a whole lot more cumbersome.

Does one enhancement have to degrade another function? These designers need to mock this up. Then Put on a blindfold and step into a dark closet with this stuck in their pocket. Then try to use the damn thing. They will quickly realize what idiots they're being.

I agree that a touch display player is really enticing. And a device that could to all the prospective tasks brought up above would be cool. But, only to gadget geeks willing to learn and memorize interfaces. This device just stepped away form the consumer crowd.

If this device ever does come to fruition (the majority of patents that Apple applies for don't,) it would most likely be marketed as a video device. A video device requires a users full attention, it's not something that you'd use while tucked in a coat pocket which is very different from a music iPod.. Steve Jobs talked about this before... Music and video consuming habits are completely different... And from the looks of this patent they are creating a different type of device altogether. This won't replace the iPod as we know it.
  • Reply 42 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun

If this device ever does come to fruition (the majority of patents that Apple applies for don't,) it would most likely be marketed as a video device. A video device requires a users full attention, it's not something that you'd use while tucked in a coat pocket which is very different from a music iPod.. Steve Jobs talked about this before... Music and video consuming habits are completely different... And from the looks of this patent they are creating a different type of device altogether. This won't replace the iPod as we know it.

Another thing to recognize is the sheer number of devices a new Apple product will be competing with for attention with consumers... for games, one might choose the Nintendo DS (featuring touch screen capabilities)...for video, there are numerous so-so designs... for phones, there are hundreds of different models to choose from... for video controllers, there are some half-decent high end controllers...

The big "whaaaaaaa?" is this: Will Apple combine all devices, or have minor cosmetic differences and market and sell what is essentially the same "shell" with different software for specialized UI's? Maybe you'll be able to buy additional functionality for your "shell" off of iTunes...

So you could buy it as an iPod, then go to iTunes and buy/upgrade it to a video player via a software upgrade , for example.
  • Reply 43 of 69
    How often before a new product actually arrives does Apple usually apply for the patents? This one seems pretty odd. I'd think somebody could have guessed at it after the last 8 months' rumors, and patented it pre-emptively to make a buck...

BTW, Try running your thumb along the edge of your iPod without touching any other edges with your other fingers or your palm... Pretty damn tricky if you've god big hands like me... That would make this interface pretty twitchy, i think.
  • Reply 44 of 69
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Zune is just going to kick this thing's Apple Ass!

BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T WRITE THAT AND KEEP A STRAIGHT FACE! I'M WAY MORE EXCITED THAN I SHOULD BE!!!! Gimme my Apple Miracle!!!!!!,

Aries 1B

Edited because two people actually thought that I was serious (!) about liking Zune (!!). Eeew!
  • Reply 45 of 69
    "Zune is just going to kick this thing's Apple Ass!"

...some would disagree...

I think this is an awesome patent for a technology that fixes problems that can be used in ipods and ultraportables....

thinking...

like a whole line of ultraportables/psuedopods?

like a 4",7",10" line? running a combination ipod/mobile OSX/newton UI?

Any thoughts?
  • Reply 46 of 69
    Hey, folks. I don't really understand what's happening here. So, The Device (iPhone/iPod/whatever) will not have the touchscreen entirely, but will have a "touch bezel" instead?

So, it's like an enhanced iRiver Clix?

Am I getting this correctl?
  • Reply 47 of 69
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toosday

Hey, folks. I don't really understand what's happening here. So, The Device (iPhone/iPod/whatever) will not have the touchscreen entirely, but will have a "touch bezel" instead?

So, it's like an enhanced iRiver Clix?

Am I getting this correctl?

So says the rumour mill. But the pictures do show some on screen interaction.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    There is a very simple way of avoiding marks on the screen - add a stylus and use that to touch the screen. PDA users have been doing this for years.
  • Reply 49 of 69
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Does anyone get the feeling that when (if) this comes out, we're all going to have a smack your forehead "Oh yeah" moment?
  • Reply 50 of 69
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    This looks like an all encompassing preemptive patent filing to me.

The UI here seems too complicated and not as useful. If anything, Apple should stick with the basic UI design in the iPod which only has 6 inputs: rotation, menu, play/pause/off, select, next, and back. If an implementation of the iPod wheel UI concept can be done through a finger-based touch-screen pop-up UI, that should be the way to go for the "wide-screen iPod video".

I think the finger smudge issues are overblown. Smudges can cleaned. Screen glass can be protected through screen protectors.
  • Reply 51 of 69
    It was mentioned on Looprumors at one point (I know) but I believe that one of the secret features of Leopard is going to be the Automated home. We have been talking about remote control lighting, digital picture frames, family video conferencing etc for the last 20 years. I think touch bezel picture frames etc are in the pipeline for Leopards release and Apple are going to make this market work for a wider audience. I'm hoping anyway.

Touchscreen iPod Video/Tablet/Remote Control

Touch Bezel Picture Frames

Plugs for Remote Control Appliances

etc etc etc
  • Reply 52 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dazabrit

It was mentioned on Looprumors at one point (I know) but I believe that one of the secret features of Leopard is going to be the Automated home. We have been talking about remote control lighting, digital picture frames, family video conferencing etc for the last 20 years. I think touch bezel picture frames etc are in the pipeline for Leopards release and Apple are going to make this market work for a wider audience. I'm hoping anyway.

etc etc etc

I suppose Apple could get into the digitally updated picture frame market, but it would be an awfully tiny new market to get into... I'm voting that scenario as "gigantically unlikely"... but I do agree the automated home & communications integration might be more likely (as you can see by my previous comment, above).
  • Reply 53 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dazabrit

etc etc etc

Yeah that's what i sorta mean....

a halfway cross between with an ipod and a notebook.....but not just one...a line of like three different sizes...4,7,10 inches...basically fullscreen ipods capable of a multitude of functions with a somewhat interactive OS that controls the different functions of the bezel and touchscreen.

it could be a pda, picture frame, ichat, mapping, gaming, remote, ebook, notepad, ultraportable....

different sizes for different needs (like the shuffle, nano, origional)

and different strengths for different needs (like the macbook vs. macbook pro)

So for example a 4.5" size while charging in your dock in your living room could function as a picture frame...but just pick it up and it functions as a remote for your tv/house or a remote control for gaming. take it with you and its a full screen ipod with full map capabilities but fits in the palm of your hand.

on the opposite side...a 10" size could perform a lot of the same functions...as it charges it is just a much larger picture frame/ remote/ whatever and then on the go it is an amazing ultraportable 2 lb. tablet that functions basically like a watered down notebook.

basically....an evolutionary chart of...

ipod => "this psuedoportable/ touchscreen" => macbook

i'm giving myself chills just thinking about it...if apple doesnt do it then i just might have to
  • Reply 54 of 69
    Why not have a (smaller) click-wheel on the back, in the upper corner so you can operate it with your first finger? That would solve the smudgy twitchy touch screen and the seemingly ridiculous bezel idea... Wheel on the back (top corner) plus 3 buttons on the side, and you've got all of the iPod inputs covered while maintaining single hand use... Although it's maybe not so good for horizontal viewing, and it would probably piss off lefties...
  • Reply 55 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcdstudios

"Zune is just going to kick this thing's Apple Ass!"

...some would disagree...

Any sane, aware human would disagree! It was a joke, a joke I tell you\ !

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 56 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aries 1B

Any sane, aware human would disagree! It was a joke, a joke I tell you\ !

V/R,

Aries 1B

ha ok my bad.... i thought you were like some M$ zealot that just loved coming in to distrupt the boards...the "bwa ha ha" being the laughter of insanity and the "way excited about this" being a zune fetish...

but frankly, im new at this, and it was a pretty funny
  • Reply 57 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

I suppose Apple could get into the digitally updated picture frame market, but it would be an awfully tiny new market to get into... I'm voting that scenario as "gigantically unlikely"... but I do agree the automated home & communications integration might be more likely (as you can see by my previous comment, above).

Yeh I agree with you on the picture frame but that's not the focus; i'm thinking more of the complete home automation scenario. It's still a small market but it has the potential to be huge if somebody finally does it right. The MP3 player market was tiny when Apple got in the game.

iChat on iTV

Video iPod that acts as a Remote control for iTV and Remote appliances

Plug adapters for controlling Appliances

Leopard with super cool home automation app/feature (could be extended to Windows later)

It's not the most likely way to evolve the 'digital home' market (which makes it even more likely). It also scales to numerous devices. The home automation market is begging for someone to do it properly. This is just speculation on my part obviously but Apple could really drive it home.

Plus this Video iPod/Remote control could then become a portable Mac that docks in every area of your life. Your home, your car and your office. Evolutionary steps.
  • Reply 58 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcdstudios

ha ok my bad.... i thought you were like some M$ zealot that just loved coming in to distrupt the boards...the "bwa ha ha" being the laughter of insanity and the "way excited about this" being a zune fetish...

but frankly, im new at this, and it was a pretty funny

P'shaw! Don't give it a second thought!

I've been waiting since 1998 for the New Newton and if this patent describes What Is To Come, then the wait will have been worth it.

I think of Zune and I think of PC from the Apple ads. I think of this patent, and I think of something beyond Superman.

Zune! Ha!

In the Twenty First Century, the expression "Zune" will have the same effect as "I'd buy that for a dollar!" from the movie RoboCop.

Star of the Show: "Well, what do you make of that?"

Co-Star: "Zune!"

Laugh track: "Ahhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha!"

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 59 of 69
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT

This looks like an all encompassing preemptive patent filing to me.

See, there's the thing. If you have a patentable idea, you'd better patent it, whether it goes int a shipping product, or not. Make sure you own the idea before someone else claims to, just in case.

This has a sort of blunderbuss feel to it -- keep the competition form using your ideas, or else charge them a hefty royalty, if you decide it's not right for your own product. I think it'll be at least a year before we actually see something like this on the street, and it'll be substantially different from this patent filing if/when we do.
  • Reply 60 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aries 1B

Zune is just going to kick this thing's Apple Ass!

BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAY MORE EXCITED THAN I SHOULD BE,

Aries 1B

your an idiot