Briefly: Apple's $79 iPod shuffle now shipping

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer has made good on a promise to begin shipping its second-generation iPod shuffle digital music player during the month of October, tipsters tell AppleInsider.



This past Sunday, a handful of customers who placed orders for the $79 clip-on player through Apple's online store reported receiving shipment confirmations by email and charge verifications to their credit cards.



"Just got an email confirmation this morning that my 2nd gen iPod Shuffle has shipped," said one Apple Store customer. "Delivery is expected by Nov. 3."



The majority of those customers who received shipping notifications on Sunday also claimed to have been some of the first to place their orders after the player was announced on Sept. 12.



"I placed my order immediately after Apple's press event, about 5 minutes after the Apple online store came back online," said one customer.



Apple's second-generation iPod shuffles are shipping directly from the company's manufacturing facilities in China and carry manufacturers part number: MA564LL/A.



The Apple Store continues to list the new player as shipping in October.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 24
    As may be typical, one could probably waltz into an Apple Store and pick it up quicker than waiting for the shipped version. It's happened many times to me. \
  • Reply 2 of 24
    "Here at Apple, "November" ... it's the NEW October!"





    ( * yawn * )
  • Reply 3 of 24
    well it seemed that all those mixed messages that we were getting were to some extent right. there were reported delays to november but now they are shippping in october they will be recieved in november
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sharp_spot


    "Here at Apple, "November" ... it's the NEW October!"





    ( * yawn * )



    Yeah it's Steve's reality distortion field working full bore. He said shipping in October and they get ONE out the door by tomorrow night.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Would anyone here ever be interested in a feature for the iPod and iPod Nano that let you turn off the screen and use the iPod in "shuffle mode" which is essentially just letting your normal iPod become an iPod shuffle as to conserve battery power and such?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    gmacgmac Posts: 76member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa


    Would anyone here ever be interested in a feature for the iPod and iPod Nano that let you turn off the screen and use the iPod in "shuffle mode" which is essentially just letting your normal iPod become an iPod shuffle as to conserve battery power and such?



    It's there already. All the iPods can shuffle songs. And unless you operate the controls, the backlighting on the iPod's display remains off. And that is the bigger consumer of battery life. The display running by itself sans backlight consume next to no power.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    It might get worse in the future. Current trend with Xserves being available for configuration in October but shipping in November (hopefully) and the Shuffles and iTV... It's just a bit unsettling. What's next? They're going to announce a true video iPod shipping in 12 months?
  • Reply 8 of 24
    You already have a true video iPod. Now if you're talking about a horizontal iPod with on screen virtual click wheel...well then I'd say gimme a call and tell me about it on your iPhone.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck


    It might get worse in the future. Current trend with Xserves being available for configuration in October but shipping in November (hopefully) and the Shuffles and iTV... It's just a bit unsettling. What's next? They're going to announce a true video iPod shipping in 12 months?



    Hey, Apple has actually gotten a lot better about this. I remember when they announced 500 Mhz PowerMacs, which didn't ship for 3 months, and when they did ship they were 450 Mhz.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck


    It might get worse in the future. Current trend with Xserves being available for configuration in October but shipping in November (hopefully) and the Shuffles and iTV... It's just a bit unsettling. What's next? They're going to announce a true video iPod shipping in 12 months?



    I'm not sure I share your concern. They've been MUCH worse in the past. These are delays of a couple of weeks, and not that big a deal. I don't understand how iTV even makes your list? They said it was a preview and wouldn't be out until 2007 (I think they said spring, but I can't recall on that point).
  • Reply 11 of 24
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Beat me to the punch, BRussell
  • Reply 12 of 24
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,591member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell


    Hey, Apple has actually gotten a lot better about this. I remember when they announced 500 Mhz PowerMacs, which didn't ship for 3 months, and when they did ship they were 450 Mhz.





    3 GHz was a kicker too.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa


    You already have a true video iPod.



    Apple doesn't call it a video iPod, which is why there is speculation that there might be one coming. The current one is an iPod with Video tacked-on, both in naming and functionality.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sharp_spot


    "Here at Apple, "November" ... it's the NEW October!"





    ( * yawn * )



    Didn't they say shipping October? They can ship it tomorrow and still hit their target.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM


    Apple doesn't call it a video iPod, which is why there is speculation that there might be one coming. The current one is an iPod with Video tacked-on, both in naming and functionality.



    Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!
  • Reply 16 of 24
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core


    Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!



    You can say that, but it doesn't make it true. Besides, if what is listed in the iPod video section as a "video playlist" can contain nothing but audio files with no obvious way to fix that, I think there's something wrong with the system. There are other UI issues in the video section that I don't know how to describe in why I think it's beneath Apple's usual quality UI.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core


    Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!



    No Jeff is right it's been called "iPod with Video" like 12 million times. It has never been a "Video iPod."
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Well, looks like my shuffle has shipped, as of the 29th. I just didn't get an email or anything. Oh well, can't wait to get it later this week, it should make those long training sessions a bit easier
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Sucks for Thinksecret...
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM


    You can say that, but it doesn't make it true. Besides, if what is listed in the iPod video section as a "video playlist" can contain nothing but audio files with no obvious way to fix that, I think there's something wrong with the system. There are other UI issues in the video section that I don't know how to describe in why I think it's beneath Apple's usual quality UI.



    JeffDM and Ecking



    Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!



    The nomenclature iPod with Video was never used. It was iPod (with video) and that was dropped by a directive from Apple just prior to Steve's last keynote, "It's Show Time". Up to that time, Apple was adamant that the term "Video iPod" never be used in any of its published materials when referencing such functionality.



    From then, however, neither term was used. Go the the iPod and iTunes web sites and you will not find "iPod with Video" or "Video iPod" used at all. In fact, unless you tag on "nano" or "shuffle" onto the iPod, the only iPod that plays movies, TV shows or videos, is simply called the iPod!.



    So the only thing that one can assume is that all future iPods will play videos, movies or TV show, until Steve changes directs otherwise.
Sign In or Register to comment.