Apple releases Boot Camp 1.1.2 beta

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Monday posted to its website an update to Boot Camp, its software dual-boot solution designed to allow users of Intel-based Macs to install and run Microsoft's Windows operating system.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company said the 143MB Boot Camp 1.1.2 beta "contains several updates and is intended for all new and previous users of the software."

However, the feature set listed on Apple's Boot Camp website is identical to that of previous versions, suggesting the only improvements are support for the latest Intel-based Macs -- mainly the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro.

"If you previously installed Boot Camp beta, you can easily update to Boot Camp 1.1.2 beta," Apple wrote. "You don't need to partition your hard drive again (unless you want to change its size) or reinstall your Macintosh and Windows software or documents, but it's very important to update the Boot Camp Assistant software, create a new Macintosh Drivers for Windows CD and install the updated software it contains on Windows XP.

Complete instructions for updating to the latest version of Boot Camp provided in the Installation and Setup Guide included with the the download.

Boot Camp remains a beta piece of software ahead of its formal inclusion in the next-generation Leopard Mac OS X operating system, which is due out in the first half of 2007.

Since the software is pre-release, Apple at this time does not offer users any additional support beyond the documentation on its website and that included with the beta download.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Prolly new drivers.

I hope they start using their recent Windows port of Apple Software Update for rolling out new Boot Camp drivers.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

I hope they start using their recent Windows port of Apple Software Update

Huh? Must have missed that one. Do you have a link to a news story or some such?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I didn't know there was an apple windows update either.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Huh? Must have missed that one. Do you have a link to a news story or some such?

It was included with iTunes 7: http://diveintomark.org/archives/2006/09/12/asu-win
  • Reply 5 of 21
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Prolly new drivers.

I hope they start using their recent Windows port of Apple Software Update for rolling out new Boot Camp drivers.

Yet again, Hell has frozen over.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alexander

It was included with iTunes 7: http://diveintomark.org/archives/2006/09/12/asu-win

Cheers. That would be a simpler update route that the current "download to OS X, burn CD, reboot into Windows, install drivers from CD" one.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Cheers. That would be a simpler update route that the current "download to OS X, burn CD, reboot into Windows, install drivers from CD" one.

I certainly hope it will be simpler what Leopard comes out. Perhaps it will be a simple option in the Leopard install. Then perhaps Update will be a simple path afterwards. That would be more the Apple Way.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

However, the feature set listed on Apple's Boot Camp website is identical to that of previous versions, suggesting the only improvements are support for the latest Intel-based Macs -- mainly the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro.

Dude... just because the feature list is the same doesn't mean there aren't bug fixes and improvements to the existing features.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    According to xlr8yourmac.com, there are some.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/
  • Reply 10 of 21
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    From what I've heard, it includes trackpad scrolling and clicking. That sounds like a HUGE improvement to me.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I wonder if they have addressed all the anecdotal horror stories of bootcamping 24" imacs with the upgraded graphics sets.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

I just noticed in the Boot Camp Assistant Utility menu, one can choose to save the drivers to a folder. I have saved the drivers to my flash drive (DOS) and will boot into XP now to see if I can install from there and not waste a CD.

Granted this only removes the burning of a CD from the equation and agree having the 'new with iTunes 7' Apple software updater ala XP would be a much improved process.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    abhayabhay Posts: 45member
    Hi,

I am new to boot camp so please excuse me if this is a stupid question. I just bought my first mac ever, macbook pro and I was planning to load boot camp. I noticed one of the features they have added in this new version is built in support for iSight. What does that mean? I mean we know iSight works under mac but does not that mean that even under windows, it will be detected. Does that mean that we can use it we were chatting using yahoo messenger or skype or windows live messenger. I hate to use there but a lot of ppl out there are satill on these and it will be great if i could chat with them either using boot camp or parallels using built in iSight so i don't have to buy a new camera. Please let me know if you have any idea on this. Thanks.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abhay

I am new to boot camp so please excuse me if this is a stupid question. I just bought my first mac ever, macbook pro and I was planning to load boot camp. I noticed one of the features they have added in this new version is built in support for iSight. What does that mean? I mean we know iSight works under mac but does not that mean that even under windows, it will be detected.

Any OS, be it Linux, OS X, Windows etc. needs drivers for hardware to work. Just because the hardware is there, doesn't mean Windows can magically use it if the required driver aren't there. Previous to this Boot Camp update, there were no Windows drivers for built-in iSights, so they could not be used under XP.

I have not attempted to use the iSight in Windows, but presumably (given the blurb) this update provides the necessary drivers and the camera can be used in instant-messaging software and the like.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Actualyl I have the last version of bootcamp installed on my 24" iMac - no problems so far ever - and it recongnizes my iSight just fine.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    abhayabhay Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgtpeper

Actualyl I have the last version of bootcamp installed on my 24" iMac - no problems so far ever - and it recongnizes my iSight just fine.

Cool, so it works with yahoo or msn meesenger?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    havent tried that far but its fully recognized
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgtpeper

havent tried that far but its fully recognized

Thats cool, has anyone else tried it within yahoo or msn messenger? Even if not chatted but at least to see if yahoo or msn detects the webcam.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Yes, it does work in MSN Live Messenger. It is detected with no issues.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

I have not attempted to use the iSight in Windows, but presumably (given the blurb) this update provides the necessary drivers and the camera can be used in instant-messaging software and the like.

iSight support has been there since 1.1.