My "Fall Back" Driving Rant

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    The closer you get to Miami, the worse. And yes, it's season down here now and already the snowbirds are driving me crazy.
  • Reply 42 of 74
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar

I am a grad student at penn; live at 44th and pine...

Oh wow. Well like I said I was just down there.
  • Reply 43 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel

Charles. . . you have it easy. I get snowbirds from October through April. Plus, people from Florida don't know how to drive anyway, which makes it a year-long problem.

I hear that. My Dad lives in Naples and says the same thing. Traffic is insane down there over the winter. I'm actually driving down with my brother next week. Did you know the speed limit with a radar detector on 95 is...uh...95?
  • Reply 44 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne

The closer you get to Miami, the worse. And yes, it's season down here now and already the snowbirds are driving me crazy.

OK, where are you?
  • Reply 45 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001

OK, where are you?

Jupiter, Palm Beach County. And Ft. Lauderdale on weekends. Previously I lived in Miami for 7 years.
  • Reply 46 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001

I hear that. My Dad lives in Naples and says the same thing. Traffic is insane down there over the winter. I'm actually driving down with my brother next week. Did you know the speed limit with a radar detector on 95 is...uh...95?

I moved here a little less than two and a half years ago, and starting about two years ago the powers that be started to put FHP cops on 95, which blows.

Of course, during my last minute evacuation from Hurricane Frances in 2004, I took the RX-7 (which I no longer own) to Jacksonville airport (180 miles) in 86 minutes. It was in the wee hours of the morning and 95 was totally empty. Crazy times.
  • Reply 47 of 74
    Quote:

I moved here a little less than two and a half years ago, and starting about two years ago the powers that be started to put FHP cops on 95, which blows.

Of course, during my last minute evacuation from Hurricane Frances in 2004, I took the RX-7 (which I no longer own) to Jacksonville airport (180 miles) in 86 minutes. It was in the wee hours of the morning and 95 was totally empty. Crazy times.

Dude that's awesome...86 minutes. Hahaha. I have a radar detector, so after I'm out of VA (it's illegal there and they can tell if you have one with a "detector detector"), it's 90 mph all the way baby.
  • Reply 48 of 74
    The worst drivers I run into in Arizona tend to be from Nevada and California. People from Nevada have the hardest time staying in the lines, and making decisions at intersections concerning which way to turn is at least a 40 second process.

Californians who visit Az are always 55 years old or above so it's the standard 10MPH under the limit and always staying in the left lane on a two lane highway. Slower traffic keep right dammit!

An honorable mention goes out to drivers from Washington, I don't run into many, but when I do it's always an interesting event!

SDW2001, what kind of radar detector do you have? I have a Cobra XRS-9700. It easily picks up all of the police radar from up to a mile away with a good line of sight but I get so many false alarms it's not even funny. I got it as a gift from my Dad so I don't want to get rid of it, but I seriously get a ratio of 9 false alarms to every real police radar.
  • Reply 49 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharlesP2009

The worst drivers I run into in Arizona tend to be from Nevada and California. People from Nevada have the hardest time staying in the lines, and making decisions at intersections concerning which way to turn is at least a 40 second process.

Californians who visit Az are always 55 years old or above so it's the standard 10MPH under the limit and always staying in the left lane on a two lane highway. Slower traffic keep right dammit!

An honorable mention goes out to drivers from Washington, I don't run into many, but when I do it's always an interesting event!

SDW2001, what kind of radar detector do you have? I have a Cobra XRS-9700. It easily picks up all of the police radar from up to a mile away with a good line of sight but I get so many false alarms it's not even funny. I got it as a gift from my Dad so I don't want to get rid of it, but I seriously get a ratio of 9 false alarms to every real police radar.

I have a brand new Beltronics (940 something), about $150.00. It supposedly has the best detection in its class. I get a ridiculous amount of false alarms too. Sometimes I turn it off in town as even the city setting doesn't really stop it. It does say that it can pick up signals on the highway as long as 27,000 feet away, which is of course over 5 miles! How can that be? It bought it to replace my 5 year old Uniden, which was a piece of shit and out of date. Though, it did save me once or twice on my way to FL a few years ago.

That said, once you get a detector you realize how much radar ISN'T used. It picks up those "orange message signs a lot," which apparenty use radar or something that registers as radar for some reason.

The big test begins Monday. Let the speeding begin!
  • Reply 50 of 74
    I can't imagine there's such thing as a "radar detector detector." The detector is a passive device. Any [negligible] backscatter that comes off of its antenna should have no trouble being mixed in with the vastly greater backscatter of moving traffic.

If there's such thing as a radar detector detector, it's in the form of a dude with binocs.
  • Reply 51 of 74
    Quote:

I can't imagine there's such thing as a "radar detector detector." The detector is a passive device. Any [negligible] backscatter that comes off of its antenna should have no trouble being mixed in with the vastly greater backscatter of moving traffic.

If there's such thing as a radar detector detector, it's in the form of a dude with binocs.

No, you're wrong there. They do exist, I am positive. I don't know how they work, but they are out there. I think there is a system called "spectre" or something.

Wait....Yup...just found it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_detector_detector

Mine is supposedly resistant. I'm not chancing it though. It goes off and off the dash in VA.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    Well my radar detector detector detector detector is resistant to your radar detector detector detector. :-P
  • Reply 53 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar

Well my radar detector detector detector detector is resistant to your radar detector detector detector. :-P

haha...well they actually have that apparently...radar detector detector detectors! However, the police are now deploying radar detector detector detector detectors! And next, Beltronics is coming out with a radar detector detector detector detector detector! The police have prmosed swift and brutal punishment for using this device, which generates more radiation than when Spock reaches into the bowels of the Enterprise and frys his face off!
  • Reply 54 of 74
    I'm just glad detectors are legal here! Worst case scenario, the police officer makes fun of you for having it but not being saved by it.
  • Reply 55 of 74
    My friend was in an accident with a guy using a radar detector... The guy was trying to get to a party he was late for; he went home unhurt. My friend lost two legs. He was 19.

Radar detectors should be banned, period. All they do is say that it is OK to break the law, as long as you don't get caught. Problem is, innocent people are often hurt before the idiot is caught.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister

My friend was in an accident with a guy using a radar detector... The guy was trying to get to a party he was late for; he went home unhurt. My friend lost two legs. He was 19.

Radar detectors should be banned, period. All they do is say that it is OK to break the law, as long as you don't get caught. Problem is, innocent people are often hurt before the idiot is caught.

Well, I'm terribly sorry about your friend. I actually agree with you...common sense dictates that they should be illegal. That said, I'm glad they are not (except in VA). I have one so I don't get a ticket for going 85 in a 65 on clear day on I-95 in the middle of Southern Georgia, ya reckon?
  • Reply 57 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister

You can't just say that, due to a few isolated incidents, some wider sense product should be banned. It's ridiculous, and in the United States we tend to have laws in place to protect rights such as these.

Radar detectors don't make speeding legal. They are not a valid excuse, as far as I've ever heard. Lots of people have vehicular colisions. Some walk away, others suffer permanent injury, and some die. But to single out radar detectors as a culprit is ridiculous. It's no different than saying that people with IQs below 100 should be banned from the road. If you believe that should be enacted, then I guess there's really no hope.
  • Reply 58 of 74
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

You can't just say that, due to a few isolated incidents, some wider sense product should be banned. It's ridiculous, and in the United States we tend to have laws in place to protect rights such as these.

Radar detectors don't make speeding legal. They are not a valid excuse, as far as I've ever heard. Lots of people have vehicular colisions. Some walk away, others suffer permanent injury, and some die. But to single out radar detectors as a culprit is ridiculous. It's no different than saying that people with IQs below 100 should be banned from the road. If you believe that should be enacted, then I guess there's really no hope.

I don't know what the legislature was thinking when it enacted the statute, but I would imagine they considered the underlying truth in bergermeister's example: that speeding kills and that using a radar detector to evade getting caught for speeding makes the roads more dangerous for the speeder and for other vehicles.
  • Reply 59 of 74
    According to the US Census Bureau, nearly 1 in 3 fatalities in motor vehicle accidents is due to speeding.

Total: 42,643\tSpeeding related: 13,380

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...nd_fatalities/

(file number 1091)

If you curb speeding, you save lives.
  • Reply 60 of 74
    Correction: 1 in 3 fatalities is due to differences in speed. Speed doesn't kill. Relative speed kills.

btw... those stats are completely fucked up... look at the number of accidents as a function of speed. 45 and 55 have more than 50... clearly police officers filing reports will have a tendancy to estimate to the above the limit side of hypothetical speed (and there aren't any 50 mph speed limits that I have encountered)...