Briefly: new Apple hardware shipments blip on radar

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blingem

Hey Apple....guess what? Dell, and tons of other companies, have laptops for around $799, $899, and they all do alot of the stuff yours does.

How much money are those other companies making on them? Apple keeps good margins to stay profitable. Also, very often the models aren't very comparable, generally the Apple version is at least nicer looking and thinner for the same type of parts. The competitors can do many of the same things, but often the Apple model does those things nicer. Those other models don't have the Apple software either. I do hope that the iBook replacement can start at the iBook's previous starting price at $1k.
  • Reply 42 of 91
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    This is pretty funny. The old line was "now that Apple has gone Intel, they'll be able to upgrade more frequently." I thought that's what people wanted.
  • Reply 43 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevinoneill

What do you guys think this does for the time-line of the Mac Pro getting the new Quad chip? I'm in the market for one.

There's no guarantee that there will be an Octo Mac this year. It may be that Apple could introduce one as soon as Intel releases the quad core chips, I think this month, but it is up to Apple to use it. I can't say that the value is there yet with so little software that can use it, a Quad is a practical upper limit unless you use specialized software.
  • Reply 44 of 91
    So what time does Apple usually announce new hardware on days where they release without an event?
  • Reply 45 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedDel

So what time does Apple usually announce new hardware on days where they release without an event?

I thought it was 9am Pacific time, on Tuesdays, unless there is a Monday or Tuesday holiday, then it is Wednesday.
  • Reply 46 of 91
    Today is voting day, will that effect anything?
  • Reply 47 of 91
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

There's no guarantee that there will be an Octo Mac this year. It may be that Apple could introduce one as soon as Intel releases the quad core chips, I think this month, but it is up to Apple to use it. I can't say that the value is there yet with so little software that can use it, a Quad is a practical upper limit unless you use specialized software.

There's value...for certain users. For general users, if you're paying for a 2K+ workstation you do hope it lasts a few years...an octo should last a little longer than a quad.

Vinea
  • Reply 48 of 91
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedDel

Today is voting day, will that effect anything?

Yes, Apple employees are all so busy to vote that they can't do anything all day.

• Reply 49 of 91
    Unless a need is absolutely necessary, why would anyone buy a Mac right now when MWSF2007 is right around the corner? I think we will see some major improvements to the apps in iLife '07.
  • Reply 50 of 91
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes

Apple sells about 5-8x the amount of MacBooks as does it Minis.

]I've never seen any such numbers, where did you come up with them?

To be honest -- just a very rough guesstimate from Apple's most recent sales data.

624K desktops - (iMacs, Minis, Mac Pros, XServes)

986K laptops - (MacBooks and MBPs)

iMacs are Apple's biggest desktop seller (by far); I'm guessing 100-150K Minis.

MacBooks, meanwhile, are selling like hotcakes. And this period was before the C2D MBP was released. Guess: 600-800K MacBooks that quarter.
  • Reply 51 of 91
    Tuesday came and nothing happened.

So we'll wait for the MacWorld in January
  • Reply 52 of 91
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts

Unless a need is absolutely necessary, why would anyone buy a Mac right now when MWSF2007 is right around the corner? I think we will see some major improvements to the apps in iLife '07.

because I needed it now...
  • Reply 53 of 91
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bigc

because I needed it now...

I think that would fall under "unless absolutely necessary" caveat.
  • Reply 55 of 91
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Yes, Apple employees are all so busy to vote that they can't do anything all day.

Would apple want to release an updated product on a day when very few people in the US, media or otherwise, are paying attention?
  • Reply 56 of 91
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder

Would apple want to release an updated product on a day when very few people in the US, media or otherwise, are paying attention?

It's just a minor update. It's not like they'd make a press event for this.
  • Reply 57 of 91
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

In the case you failed to notice, sunilraman is just joking. His new style leaves sometimes people baffled.

<sarcasm>Really? He was joking? I never realised...</sarcasm>
  • Reply 58 of 91
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

It's just a minor update. It's not like they'd make a press event for this.

Even so, it's been my observation they don't do updates when there are other major national events happening.
  • Reply 59 of 91
    Screw all you January Macworld people. It's coming soon.
  • Reply 60 of 91
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pippin

Screw all you January Macworld people. It's coming soon.