Apple updates MacBook line with Core 2 Duo processors

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knathraak

Darn! I just ordered mine Monday night. It's a black with upgraded ram. It hasn't shipped yet. Think there's any chance they'll go ahead and send me the new one instead?

Possibly... If you dont open the box I think you can send it back without any restocking fee? I would call Apple if you only ordered it Monday and it hasnt shipped.
  • Reply 22 of 111
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Darn! I just ordered mine Monday night. It's a black with upgraded ram. It hasn't shipped yet. Think there's any chance they'll go ahead and send me the new one instead?

It's almost certain that they will. I'd call and make sure though.
  • Reply 23 of 111
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Not worth your time? Yeah lighter is nicer but have you picked up a pc laptop lately?

Umijin's basically asking for a lightweight or an ultralight, which I can sympathize. I'd want an ultralight for the potential for 5x longer battery life, but lighter weight would be a bonus.
  • Reply 24 of 111
    If it was silver and had a back-lit keyboard and ambient light sensor, I'd be sold. Instead, I have to pay $700 for the MBP model I want.

-Clive
  • Reply 25 of 111
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Anyone know if these have the new pre-802.11n wireless chips? Or will we have to wait till someone gets one and cracks the case to find out?

If so, I think Apple will be all 802.11n in time for the iTV. Will that require 802.11n? or only for HD content? Hmmmm....

- Jasen.
  • Reply 26 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder

It's almost certain that they will. I'd call and make sure though.

Woohoo! I just called 1-800-676-2775 and they confirmed that they had already cancelled the original order and replaced it with the new model. Since my only upgrade was to 1GB ram, the replaced the order with the new base model since that also has 1gb ram, and the total price is now $100 less.
  • Reply 27 of 111
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Quote:

If people actually read the return policy, you'll note that you are guaranteed an upgrade.

For those that bought theirs uncustomized, with the original pakaging, if it's within 14 days you can return it too for 10% restocking fee.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...spolicies.html

On another note, why does Apple say it's 1" thin? It is 1.08"! Was 1.07" the old MacBook thickness? Or was it 1.06" or 1.09"? UPDATE: I did some research and saw that the old MacBook is 1.08". It stayed the same. (I have a MBP 17").

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 28 of 111
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho

On another note, why does Apple say it's 1" thin? It is 1.08"! Was 1.07" the old MacBook thickness? Or was it 1.06" or 1.09"?

The tech specs say the new model's thickness is 1.08". That's a bit of a stretch, but I'm more disturbed that notebook makers use "thin", it's not as if the measurement somehow changes by using it instead of "thick". Except here, I suppose, when the number changes by 8% just by saying it is "thin". It's just some lame psychological stunt.
  • Reply 29 of 111
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Who was it that said they'll wait 'till Macworld? Ha ha told you so!

/very strange semi-awake dream this morning, I actually saw what looked like the picture on the Apple.com homepage of the two MacBooks, and ran down the stairs to find out if I was correct, and I was. Very strange!
  • Reply 30 of 111
    Sure, the use of the word thin over thick is more appealing.

But Apple is kind of lying when they say it's 1" thin. It's closer to 1.1" thin. (They're misleading in order to sell more products).

If it was 1" thin and they said it was less than 1.1" thin that is closer to telling the truth, and more Apple's style. Not that they aren't telling the truth in the first place. They're just, exaggerating...
  • Reply 31 of 111
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Woohoo! I just called 1-800-676-2775 and they confirmed that they had already cancelled the original order and replaced it with the new model. Since my only upgrade was to 1GB ram, the replaced the order with the new base model since that also has 1gb ram, and the total price is now $100 less.

Congrats, man! I bet that's a pleasant surprise
  • Reply 32 of 111
    I like - I like - I like - more importantly, the wallet like

This is a nice machine at the right price at the right time on the right day (8 yeah, Dems).

Just one question: how will it run Aperture? I was thinking to update my old and beginning to get cranky PB wiht a MBP, but money is an obstacle. Just want toe run Aperture for some basic pre-editing in the field; nothing heavy.

If it will run Aperture, I will order one this week if I can decide between white and black.
  • Reply 33 of 111
    http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...fCQc4X1KqjZRd4

Thought so. 2.0GHz = 4mb L2 whether it's black or white.
  • Reply 34 of 111
    Quote:

But Apple is kind of lying when they say it's 1" thin. It's closer to 1.1" thin.

If it was 1" thin and they said it was less than 1.1" thin that is closer to telling the truth, and more Apple's style.

I am sorry, but where did you get the measurement of 1.1" for the new MacBook?
  • Reply 35 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

The tech specs say the new model's thickness is 1.08". That's a bit of a stretch, but I'm more disturbed that notebook makers use "thin", it's not as if the measurement somehow changes by using it instead of "thick". Except here, I suppose, when the number changes by 8% just by saying it is "thin". It's just some lame psychological stunt.

Please reference you source for the 1.08"
  • Reply 36 of 111
    Sorry, I would think even that 12 year old programmer on Digg could use common sense and look at the tech specs (that's technical specifications). Actually he probably could. But I guess I set the bar too high otherwise.

http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

People, please! Research and use common sense! It really isn't that hard! Lol I feel like I'm in that SNL skit with Jimmy Fallon sp? where he's the tech guy and fixes the three computers. haha...
  • Reply 37 of 111
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midnight_marauder

A better MB and a better Congress on the same day! Happy holidays! 8)

amen to that brotha!

COME ON MONTANA AND VIRGINIA! give us the majority! 8)
  • Reply 38 of 111
    Quote:

But Apple is kind of lying when they say it's 1" thin. It's closer to 1.1" thin.

If it was 1" thin and they said it was less than 1.1" thin that is closer to telling the truth, and more Apple's style.

The MacBook spec site

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

tables the new MacBook to be 1.0 inches thick. And at the same time, lists it in centimeters for greater accuracy at 2.59 cm (which by the way is equal to 1.019685 inches). Therefore to round it off to the nearest tenth, the listing by Apple at 1.0 is correct. They obviously could have listed it to the nearest 100th, i.e., 1.02 inches, but for the life of me, I can't imagine that many would be able to relate to the difference.

What really irks me, is your demeaning attitude. It really isn't necessary to suggest that lying is involved. Except of course to your own comments.
  • Reply 39 of 111
    Well, I said kind of lying. I just couldn't think of a better word. I certainly wasn't intending the negative connotations that the word 'lying' suggests compared to such a word as "misleading." But even misleading isn't a good enough word.

It's not a demeaning attitude, it is just the realization of marketing companies use. Obviously, anyone is going to make their products sound the best, by trying to be as truthful as possible. Yes, lying isn't a favorable word. But, c'mon. You know what I meant (mean).

And if you don't, I'm sorry that there isn't enough inflection in my writing.
  • Reply 40 of 111
    I used a friend's macbook with the glossy screen in cafes and I see too much reflection!. Can you order one with a matte screen?