How do I get rid of the top menu bar and how do I *maximise* windows and other things

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    And let's also keep in mind that the original Windows only came about because of Mac OS. Windows 1.0 through 3.11 was absolute junk, and Windows 95 was a poor copy of Mac OS 7.

So since Apple had it while MS was still dicking around with DOS, it is naturally going to rub Mac people the wrong way when Windows people want the Mac to change to a "Windowsed" appearance. The copying has always been in the other direction.
  • Reply 62 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker

For example, you can't close a tab in Safari directly (when that window is inactive) when you have a Finder window open in the foreground (i.e. active window). You must click onto the Safari window and then click the close button on the same window's tab.

Just to clarify. Yes you can close a tab in Safari directly from being in an active Finder window. The x button highlights and when clicked the tab closes and at the same time makes the window active. Command-click it and the tab closes, but your Finder window stays active.
  • Reply 63 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endymion

Just to clarify. Yes you can close a tab in Safari directly from being in an active Finder window. The x button highlights and when clicked the tab closes and at the same time makes the window active. Command-click it and the tab closes, but your Finder window stays active.

When I tried that yesterday, it didn't work, but today it does. Strange... Well, rebooting cures lots of things...
  • Reply 64 of 70
    u can get rid of it with menufela - and fellas, please don't be such apple fanboys. I refer to earlier chaps who declared - THESE ARE THE APPS YOUR RUN ON A MAC - YOU WILL NEVER NEED TO GET RID OF MENU BAR - YOU ARE m$ Fanboys who want the mac like a pc...

Well, that's not always true. I'm converted to mac, and I want my mac like a mac, or I wouldn't have converted - but.. I don't want menu stip purely because I run lots of darwin ports stuff in x11 over virture desktops, and I don't want to run x11 in it's own environment, coz it's better for my head to flip to it on virtue (nice workflow) - and some stuff - like rDesktop, or even just the x11 needs to lose the menu.

Just making a point - ok, the original dude was being a bit like - i used windows pimp my mac like xp (a bit), but I'm noticing you macboys are also in danger of being a bit... philestine.. not saying this to wind you up, or be rude.. promise. It's just I think the thing that makes people want to come to this seen is that mac dudes are cool - (and the machines and software are great). Haters and fanboys, who think that they know everything push people away. Half you mac users wouldn't have a clue what I do with my mac (I'm a unix bod as well) and would just assume I'm a pc convert coz I don't want menu bars - sometimes - and it can be done.. stop being such apple cocksuckers and think out the box, be smart and accepting, like you know you guys should.

Fanboys blow..

My $0.02 worth.
  • Reply 65 of 70
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justgeorge

u can get rid of it with menufela - and fellas, please don't be such apple fanboys. I refer to earlier chaps who declared - THESE ARE THE APPS YOUR RUN ON A MAC - YOU WILL NEVER NEED TO GET RID OF MENU BAR - YOU ARE m$ Fanboys who want the mac like a pc...

Well, that's not always true. I'm converted to mac, and I want my mac like a mac, or I wouldn't have converted - but.. I don't want menu stip purely because I run lots of darwin ports stuff in x11 over virture desktops, and I don't want to run x11 in it's own environment, coz it's better for my head to flip to it on virtue (nice workflow) - and some stuff - like rDesktop, or even just the x11 needs to lose the menu.

Just making a point - ok, the original dude was being a bit like - i used windows pimp my mac like xp (a bit), but I'm noticing you macboys are also in danger of being a bit... philestine.. not saying this to wind you up, or be rude.. promise. It's just I think the thing that makes people want to come to this seen is that mac dudes are cool - (and the machines and software are great). Haters and fanboys, who think that they know everything push people away. Half you mac users wouldn't have a clue what I do with my mac (I'm a unix bod as well) and would just assume I'm a pc convert coz I don't want menu bars - sometimes - and it can be done.. stop being such apple (expletive deleted - JL)My $0.02 worth.

Can someone translate this into Humanese for me, please?
  • Reply 66 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

basically: narrow-mindedness+pedanticness=dickheadidness

And seeing as you clearly fall into that category: here's some humanese for you:

I was merely saying (in a laid back Saturday kind of dialect) that earlier posters on the first page of this post were prescribing the applications and exact manner in which a mac was meant to be used rather than considering the guy's actual problem and devising a solution. They merely shot him down for wanting to lose the apple menu-strip - declaring that a mac is this, a mac is that, and therefore it should be used the way that THEY use their mac.

I was saying that different people do different things in different ways, which we would hope as this is condusive to creativity and growth. I've noticed on forums an increasing trend within apple devotees (aka fanboys) toward narrow mindedness reminiscent of the IBM priesthood of days gone by.

I think while it is useful to highlight one operating system's virtues over another and reiterate that it is meant to be a different experience (that is, in essence, the joy of using os x) it is not useful to:

+ presribe what that use should be based on your own experience, limited or otherwise - as this stifles creativity and clearly disregards other individuals needs and desires,

+ give one sided advice as a result of being closed to new possibilities,

+ be so pig-headed that unless an email is written in formal English, write it off.. I mean sh*t man!? Do you need your sentences in Xml? Have you no capability to swing, extrapolate the jist of what I was saying, or are you just a pedant? Eitherway, if my English was too simple for you- oh mighty one - I apologise - as far I'm concerned the only cause of confusion was mis-spelling scene as seen... Damn... It is Saturday isn't it? Day off?

This the exact fanboyism I was talking about, and so we smoke screen away from the original point which is - this sCene is in danger of becoming like the IBM priesthood of the past coz people are getting close minded and up themselves - too upthemselves to even consider a reasonable point because it's not constructed in formal English... even slang has to be done apple-style..

blow this.
  • Reply 67 of 70
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justgeorge

I was merely saying (in a laid back Saturday kind of dialect) that earlier posters on the first page of this post were prescribing the applications and exact manner in which a mac was meant to be used rather than considering the guy's actual problem and devising a solution. They merely shot him down for wanting to lose the apple menu-strip - declaring that a mac is this, a mac is that, and therefore it should be used the way that THEY use their mac.

No, they were declaring that Mac OS is not particularly suitable for use without the menu bar. That's simply the way it is.

Quote:

I was saying that different people do different things in different ways,

Which is why there are different OS choices.
  • Reply 68 of 70
    Quote:

No, they were declaring that Mac OS is not particularly suitable for use without the menu bar. That's simply the way it is.

Which is why there are different OS choices.

Look you smart arsed little prick - you're doing exactly what I said. not thinking out the box.

With menufela you don't get rid of the apple strip - it merely hides until you mouseover it.

so don't give me your "oh different operating system choices" bullshit. I'm not an ignaramous and, clearly unlike you, have the ability to think laterally and solve problems.

Don't you see..? Can other people see this - anyone?! This guy didn't even consider the solution - just reached for his hymn book and read the right lines..

Don't reply unless you want to discuss.. or actually want to engage that gelatinous organ in your cranimum. I can go to any church and get dogma..

So blow me, fanboy.
  • Reply 69 of 70
    User JustGeorge gets a 10-day site ban.

Swearing and name-calling at the members; tsk - tsk.
  • Reply 70 of 70
    Quote:

It's been translated into "banned".