Microsoft's Windows Vista released to manufacturing

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Microsoft said last week that development of Windows Vista is now complete, with the software being released to manufacturing in advance of a gradual rollout to customers over the next few months.

The newly completed operating system -- slated to ship for large-volume business customers on November 30th and to the general public on January 30th -- marks the first major Windows update from the company in five years.

The Redmond, Wash.-based Microsoft said it plans an extremely aggressive launch on that later date, which will see Vista preinstalled on as many systems as possible, culminating in an expected total of 100 million systems running Vista by the end of 2007.

"On Jan. 30, you will be hard pressed to find a machine that doesn't have Windows Vista available," said Jim Allchin, co-president of Microsoft's platforms and services division.

Vista sports a series of major upgrades to the Windows foundation, including a 3D-accelerated windowing system, system-wide live search results, and a much stricter security policy that should block the web browser exploits and self-propagating Internet worms that caused widespread security trouble for Windows XP users.

Nevertheless, the long-delayed OS has suffered criticism from both rivals and supporters alike, prompting many to speculate that development has been hurried in an attempt to remain competitive with other software.

Apple has openly but light-heartedly accused Microsoft of imitating its own Mac OS X operating system with Vista, pointing out clear similarities that have crept into Vista since the release of Mac OS X Tiger in April of 2005. These include Vista Gadgets' sidebar resemblance to Tiger's Dashboard layer and a parallel between Vista's Flip 3D task switcher and Tiger's Exposé.

In turn, testers themselves have reported an unusually large number of flaws in later stages: "This is the buggiest OS I've seen this late in development," Jupiter Research analyst Joe Wilcox said of Vista during its Beta 2 phase.

While later Vista releases have measurably improved stability, the software has been delayed as recently as late October in order to address last-minute programming bugs.

Microsoft has also been criticized by computer resellers for potentially damaging holiday sales with its scheduled January launch and for demanding a price premium for the legal right to run Vista in a virtual environment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    w00t. Can't wait to install it.

All that sucks is the EULA..
  • Reply 2 of 45
    I don't understand. If it's done NOW, why wait till Jan 30 to release it the general public?
  • Reply 3 of 45
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

I don't understand. If it's done NOW, why wait till Jan 30 to release it the general public?

1) To have enough time to produce the packaging.

2) To have enough time to launch the marketing campaign.

3) To gather showstoppers at enterprise installations (which are already beginning) and avoid them for consumers.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I thought it was further from being done. Huh. I'll have to pick it up when I get a DX10 GPU.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    4) To fix the thousands of bugs found when they release it to their business customers.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I guess with all the headlines about "Vista beta concerns solved - problems have gone away!" we shouldn't be surprised that Windows Vista finally made a deadline

Are "large-volume business customers" truly itching to become the Guinea pigs for a new OS that's not yet ready for even HOME usage?
  • Reply 7 of 45
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    i wouldn't be surprised if they meet that installation target. MS are masters of strong-arm business tactics

still, i wouldn't be surprised if this became the last major release of the OS. the development time proved that the system is a huge bloated, patched up mess that can't possibly survive much longer... MS, however, will be much harder to sink
  • Reply 9 of 45
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    MS is flipping the bird to holiday computer sales...
  • Reply 10 of 45
    What about OpenGL support? I read that M$ is restricting the open source API on Vista. Of course this doesnt just affect the Mac, game programmers have to code DirectX for Windows and the Xbox 360. So developing games for other platforms (PS3), is tedious and expensive.

• Reply 11 of 45
    Lol this 'final' version is already out over all the major warez sites. Great job M$! :P

-tj
  • Reply 12 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    They actually finished! They must be relieved, now all the jokes about how late it is can finally stop.

Well I have my iMac set up as a dual boot, so I will be buying.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii

They actually finished! They must be relieved, now all the jokes about how late it is can finally stop.

Well I have my iMac set up as a dual boot, so I will be buying.

My question is why? You are already running OS X.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected]

Lol this 'final' version is already out over all the major warez sites. Great job M$! :P

-tj

There is currently no WGA and WPA crack, however. There is a hack to replace it with RC 2's timebombed versions, but that will only last for 180 days.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii

...Well I have my iMac set up as a dual boot, so I will be buying.

Yes for the love of God dual boot WindowsXP2Pro is enough. Mac OS X for most needs. Why waste your time with the initial bloated, overblown Crapsta???
  • Reply 16 of 45
    At first I thought, frack, Apple is being caught with its Tiger claws showing and iPods up its own stocking as the M$ juggernaut unleashes the barrage of billion-pound gorillas that is the Vista and Zune marketing/ carpet-bombing machine.

Actually though, it all works well. Apple will ride out the holiday season and report best quarter ever for Oct-Dec 2006 when it releases info in mid-January (timing with MacWorld I'm not sure when exactly when...)... Maybe hitting $90 by just before MacWorldSF, then possibly some significant sell-offs if people don't get their FRACKING MID-TOWER WITH PCI-EXPRESS GRAPHICS CARD OPTIONS

But Apple has a clear strategy in place to move forward in 2007, actually it will be interesting to see what happens. All bets are off at this stage for Apple in 2007.

The best part nonetheless is Vista is showing it's hand first. Apple engineers, while laughing their asses off at it, will be carefully adjusting Leopard to bite Vista hard in the bollocks when it is released, say, April 2007 coinciding perhaps(!) with Adobe CS3 full UniversalBinary. Sweet.

No doubt though Leopard and other virtual-machine software companies will have to support dual-boot AND virtualization of Vista alongside XP2. Windows 2000, *sniff* you saved me from the fracking piece of shit that was Windows 98, thank you, and goodbye, as your install-cds gently sail into the blue-tinged night, never to be heard from again...........
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Looking at the hardware upgrades needed to jump on the vista bandwagon, I might just get a PS3 or more likely an XBOX360... If only the XBOX360 wasn't made by Microsoft! But what the hell, there are more important/ evil companies out there to boycott if I really gave a hoot.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evil Microsoft Person

"On Jan. 30, you will be hard pressed to find a machine that doesn't have Windows Vista available,"

This is going to give me nightmares tonight. I'll assume he means Jan.30 2008.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

MS is flipping the bird to holiday computer sales...

Here in Melbourne Australia iPods and Macs are everywhere, it's great. The Wii is coming Dec 7. But can you believe it, I have gone to a dozen computer/gaming shops and I have not seen a single demo XBOX360 machine yet. Not a single one in this, Australia's 2nd largest city of almost/about(??) 3 million+ people including greater metro area. Bloody hell. They say they have it in stock but only PS2's are on demo with some kid's games on it. WTF.

No sign of the Zune anywhere here in Australia as well, unless Sydneysiders, has it popped up (or, pooped up, should I say, *pats self on back for witty remarks*) up there??
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Yes for the love of God dual boot WindowsXP2Pro is enough. Mac OS X for most needs. Why waste your time with the initial bloated, overblown Crapsta???

For one, because Vista finally has a better alt-tab implementation, closer to that of OS X.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite

w00t. Can't wait to install it.

All that sucks is the EULA..

What the? ... PLEASE TELL ME YOUR BEING SARCASTIC.