Apple's iPhone to arrive in early 2007 with 2MP camera

Comments

• Reply 101 of 149
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer

so its ok for you to rip on the germans about their language, but not for someone on another thread to rip on the french?

nice consistency

You realize I am German, right?
  • Reply 102 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon

no one would use it at $1 or more a min with out a data plan.

$1? I would, in a jiffy. To be able to talk to my kids every day face-to-face when I am traveling -- priceless!
  • Reply 103 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

internet anonymity.. cool!!!!!!1111!!!!!one
  • Reply 104 of 149
    Quote:

• Reply 105 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram

$1? I would, in a jiffy. To be able to talk to my kids every day face-to-face when I am traveling -- priceless!

That is plus what you pay for making the call and at $0.05 a k bite it adds up fast
  • Reply 106 of 149
    Quote:

Quote:

A great deal of the rest of the world is so far ahead on this stuff that it sucks.....

Like in Germany, with their bullshit "Handy" term?

I think in saying the above anantksundaram was referring to the level to which mobile/cell phone technology is advanced in America compared to the rest of the world, not to the degree of advancement other nations display in their terminology relating to mobile phones.
  • Reply 107 of 149
    The term cell phone could become archaic when mobile phones begin making ad-hoc connections (ie: talking directly with one another provided they are in range) as opposed to going through the infrastructure provided by the cellular network.
  • Reply 108 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b3ns0n

I think in saying the above anantksundaram was referring to the level to which mobile/cell phone technology is advanced in America compared to the rest of the world, not to the degree of advancement other nations display in their terminology relating to mobile phones.

Thank you. That is, indeed, what I meant. (Sometimes, the fact that English is not my first language does pose a challenge!)

Don't know much about Germany, but mobile technology (and even broadband access) is really quite advanced in countries such as Korea and Japan -- the US has some ways to go to catch up.

And, the only reason that I brought up the question about "cellular" versus "mobile" is, I once had a pretty smart telecom engineer chew me out about how Americans still use backward terminology from the "days of analog hexagonal cells."
  • Reply 109 of 149
    Quote:

Thank you. That is, indeed, what I meant. (Sometimes, the fact that English is not my first language does pose a challenge!)

Don't know much about Germany, but mobile technology (and even broadband access) is really quite advanced in countries such as Korea and Japan -- the US has some ways to go to catch up.

And, the only reason that I brought up the question about "cellular" versus "mobile" is, I once had a pretty smart telecom engineer chew me out about how Americans still use backward terminology from the "days of analog hexagonal cells."

It can be irritating to some, but the term cell still applies. A cell can be defined as a small compartment in a larger structure. In this case, the small compartment is the area covered by one tower, and the larger structure is of course the network.
  • Reply 110 of 149
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I'll buy one. Hurry up Apple my phone's dying.
  • Reply 111 of 149
    Hello mac lovers ! Maybe I arrive like an hair in the soup ... I've got a question indeed (and yes I'm french )

DOes the iPhone integrate a kind of Airport for connect to the wireless network int the world and then call with th VOIP (like skype) ?

Maybe Apple is already working on his own VOIP software...

Anyway I'm gonna wait for the 2° gen of the iPhone...
  • Reply 112 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackjones

Hello mac lovers ! Maybe I arrive like an hair in the soup ... I've got a question indeed (and yes I'm french )

DOes the iPhone integrate a kind of Airport for connect to the wireless network int the world and then call with th VOIP (like skype) ?

Maybe Apple is already working on his own VOIP software...

Anyway I'm gonna wait for the 2° gen of the iPhone...

I, too, will wait for the second degree generation of this rumor.
  • Reply 113 of 149
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    The "I'll buy one!", sight/features/service-unseen, posts here seem ridiculous.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackjones

HDOes the iPhone integrate a kind of Airport for connect to the wireless network int the world and then call with th VOIP (like skype) ?

There is no iPhone (yet) so no one can accurately answer that question (yet).
  • Reply 114 of 149
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vmardian

The term cell phone could become archaic when mobile phones begin making ad-hoc connections (ie: talking directly with one another provided they are in range) as opposed to going through the infrastructure provided by the cellular network.

I don't think that range would be very large. Given how weak the phones are, maybe a few tens of yards / meters. The power and sensitivity seems to be more in the tower, that allows the phone to be small.

The circular idea of "cells" doesn't apply very well anymore though, except for considering the range of a tower. Whatever the original setup was, the current setup is that the circle is broken up into sectors through antennas designed to focus their energy to a beam width that's a set number of degrees, cutting the "cell" into something that looks like a pie.
  • Reply 115 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

?cutting the "cell" into something that looks like a pie.

Shall we start calling them Pie-Phones?
  • Reply 116 of 149
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Why does I'll buy one sound silly. I'll buy one. It's that simple. I'm sure it will be something I want, now I have a salaried job and I can afford it, and my current phone is on its way out. It's simple, really. And it seems many other people here will buy one. It seems like it will be a success, at least among Mac aficionados, and perhaps the public. Perhaps it still start with us, like the iPod.
  • Reply 117 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I don't think that range would be very large. Given how weak the phones are, maybe a few tens of yards / meters. The power and sensitivity seems to be more in the tower, that allows the phone to be small.

True, the range would be small, but the phone could switch between cell and ad-hoc mode on the fly. Meters today could be KMs tomorrow.
  • Reply 118 of 149
    concerning the ethymology of the German term "Handy":

the first mobile phones in Germany were analogue devices, using the socalled A/B/C-nets.. this devices were clumpsy, tons of weight, as WW II warfield equip. ...

the latest developement of company "Philips" was called "Porty", implying the ability to be portable... still the size of a business case... (batteries!)

THEN Philips "invented" a much smaller one for the then "new" GSM-net ... so, marketing decided to switch from "Porty" to "Handy" = size of a hand, hand-holdable... and: English was/is still.. "fancy" here..

then, the typical developement - a company's term gets generic, as Kleenex, Gaffatape, Escalator ...

thanks for listening, class, please be prepared for next week's lecture about "Adventskranzkerzenglanz" ...

PS: telephony is no device, it is a feature... hold a iPodnano to you ear.. Rendevouz, BT, Adressbook, iSync, colloborative feature in 10.5. ...it's all there ...
  • Reply 119 of 149
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k_munic

concerning the ethymology of the German term "Handy":

the first mobile phones in Germany were analogue devices, using the socalled A/B/C-nets.. this devices were clumpsy, tons of weight, as WW II warfield equip. ...

the latest developement of company "Philips" was called "Porty", implying the ability to be portable... still the size of a business case... (batteries!)

THEN Philips "invented" a much smaller one for the then "new" GSM-net ... so, marketing decided to switch from "Porty" to "Handy" = size of a hand, hand-holdable... and: English was/is still.. "fancy" here..

That's one theory; another relates to Motorola, actually.
  • Reply 120 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius

Maybe it's just me, but what I want out of the iPhone is an iPod that also makes calls, not a phone that also plays music. I have a phone that also plays music and it sucks. If you receive a call you can either ignore it or end your music playing session and your place in whatever playlist you were in. I want to just listen to music, take a minute or two to answer the call, then go back to listening to my music like there was no interruption.

I second the idea of ditching the camera. I rarely use mine except by accident (it's odd how many pictures of total blackness end up on my phone).

I have a Sony Ericsson v600i . The call receiving pausing music thingy works well, and my camera lens has a cover which when slid open activates taking pictures, and theres a separate clearly marked button for taking pictures. So no accidental blackness.

I've used Nokia and Motorola before, I hate them with a passion. I'm a SE kid, down to the bone now.

I have a phone that plays music. It works well, and will stop me hopefully from friggin' buying an iPod before 2007.

The only annoying thing is 32MB (yes, you read that right) of memory so I've got only my "active tunes" in two playlists which is a bit fiddly but okay to manage through the iBook and Bluetooth File Transfers.... Playlist management, random play, repeat, headphones with a clip that doesn't slide off, it's good enough for Tune-ing My Run of about 1/2 hour, plus some "lullaby" chillout music (Currently Celtic stuff - not as cheesy as Enya, I say...)