iPod report boosts Apple shares to all-time high

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

I think the next "Steve" can only come from someone disenfranchised by Apple's culture, who then is fired or goes off to create a competing company or product. I don't recall anyone in recent memory who didn't create greatness without a fight. You won't find a great push forward from people who are content with their positions in the company.

Wow. Apple 2.0 won't be Apple at all, it'll be a different company. Interesting....
  • Reply 42 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pena2050

To the apple investors here, do you guys participate in 'profit-taking' or are you just sitting tight? There have been 3 or 4 fluctuations around the $83 mark over the past several months. I'm guessing the profit takers have fixed on this point so far. How did they decide on that amount?

Now that the price has been somewhat consistant at $85, at least for a week, are the profit takers waiting for a higher profit-taking point? Are there enough positive expectations that profit takers think the stock will grow for a while?

Who are profit takers? Are they mostly on wallstreet, passing eachother notes saying 'it's time to sell.'

I'm trying to get a better feel for how successful profit takers and investors make their buying and selling decisions.

If any successful investors have advice, or books to recommend, particularly books that give the big picture of how the investment world (wallstreet) acts, please post here or email me. [email protected]

Sit tight and don't sell at end of year. You might regret it.

Think of what is yet to come. Next year looks great for new products. Play at a risk that you are comfortable with and know that you can loose just as well as gain. It's fun, rewarding and a learning experience too. You can read all you want from the "experts" but even they can not predict the future.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

C'mon AAPL hit $87.00 on Monday during normal trading and we'll have a true all-time high by all means and measures....!!! $87!!! go go go go go woooooooooooo

w00t!

how much stock do you own?
  • Reply 44 of 77
    Quote:

C'mon AAPL hit $87.00 on Monday during normal trading and we'll have a true all-time high by all means and measures....!!! $87!!! go go go go go woooooooooooo

dude sunil...you nailed the intraday high today. And AAPL broke the all time closing high of 86.40. by 7 cents! yeah baby....gogogo 100 bux by Christmas.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    I bought $90 January Calls a few weeks ago and am doing quite well. AAPL will continue to rise until February because of the following events (which started last month):

1 - Earnings report Wednesday [74.53]

2 - Macbook with Core 2 Duo [81.56]

3 - Holiday shopping season [$85ish]

4 - Mac conference early January (iphone, new products)

5 - Earnings report late January reporting record high sales/revenue/profit.

6 - Leopard Mac OS X 10.5 early 2007

7 - iTV (at Mac Conference)

8 - iPhone rumors

9 - iPod sale rumors (15-18M for Q1)
  • Reply 46 of 77
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Ah I love the fun territory of hitting new highs . aapl is one of the most interesting stocks I;ve ever invested in (well, not counting BIDU IPO- that was crazy).
  • Reply 47 of 77
    It's over 88 today. I foolishly bought earlier when it was at 80...glad I held onto it instead of bailing out.
  • Reply 48 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by taoshen1983

dude sunil...you nailed the intraday high today. And AAPL broke the all time closing high of 86.40. by 7 cents! yeah baby....gogogo 100 bux by Christmas.

Thank you thank you, you're all far too kind.... Told you so told you so told you so
  • Reply 49 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

It's over 88 today. I foolishly bought earlier when it was at 80...glad I held onto it instead of bailing out.

$88.60 --- there's a rally going on -- retail investors getting in on the hype of the iPhone, plus general Christmas exuberance flowing onto shares -- I buy more shares it goes up I buy more presents shares go up i buy more shares it goes up i buy more presents etc... A "positive feedback loop" of some pyschological kind. Officially the all time highs being smashed today.

edit: Institutional investors are getting in on the act as well with making and selling a few dollars at a time... I think...
  • Reply 50 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

Foolish perhaps but as long as you've got stop loss strategies in place you can sit back and wait until January to see how things flow.... A quick buck or several anyways..... My 2 cents 8) ...If AAPL slides to $70 or $60 in the course of 2007 when the hype dies down, not sure if you want to just hang on 'coz you'll have to wait several more months for it to come back up past $80 with the "next big thing". Then again, Apple in 2007 may be thoroughly executing very well on their 2007 strategy and there could be sustained upward trends past $100. I'm no expert.....
  • Reply 51 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR

w00t! how much stock do you own?

Wooooooo..... Zero, actually... But my brother got in on $64 so I'm watching things for him/ living it vicariously.

Anyway I'm too much of a conservative investor (when I had the spare cash) to get into single stocks... I would buy mutual funds -- but at the time I had the cash I was concerned about mutual funds because it would buy unethical "evil" companies like Wallmart and so-on ... So I just did an ingdirect.com savings thing when interest rates at the start of the decade were okay (before they took a sharp nosedive). At the start of 2003 I pulled out all my cash from US as I returned to Australia [back when $55USD got you $100AUD instead of $75USD for $100AUD this past year] and for a year or so was on ingdirect.com.au -- savings interest rates in Australia were fairly decent as the US fed interest rates tanked. Got a chunk of my 401(k) (superannuation in Aust.) under Austethical.com.au mutual funds, "ethical companies" and responsible financials are the focus of the fund managers. It's been kicking ass the past few years, good on them, but I can't touch this until I'm 65 or something, so whatever

But go Apple go Apple go!! woooooooooooooooo

It's something to get excited about, the shares at least, because I instinctively *sense* I am *not* going to like/need/use/buy iPhone or iTV......
  • Reply 52 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuencap

I bought $90 January Calls a few weeks ago and am doing quite well. AAPL will continue to rise until February because of the following events (which started last month):

1 - Earnings report Wednesday [74.53]

2 - Macbook with Core 2 Duo [81.56]

3 - Holiday shopping season [$85ish]

4 - Mac conference early January (iphone, new products)

5 - Earnings report late January reporting record high sales/revenue/profit.

6 - Leopard Mac OS X 10.5 early 2007

7 - iTV (at Mac Conference)

8 - iPhone rumors

9 - iPod sale rumors (15-18M for Q1)

Excellent run down. However to nitpick it does not really include anything past February, which is a complete unknown at this stage. Depends on iTV, iPhone success, + whatever else is the "next growth engine" for Apple... Hmmm... 8)
  • Reply 53 of 77
    I really should stop posting so many times in a row, but I cannot believe how massively leaked the iPhone news is. It's all over the regular news sites now.... Intentional leak???? Then they blow us away with something beyond all expectations?????
  • Reply 54 of 77
    SUnil - I know this rundown doesn't go beyond February. I included in the post that I believe AAPL will continue to rise until Feb. The list is what I think AAPL will release news-wise up until the earnings report (also see that I bought Jan. calls! haha)

Who knows though - whatever is released during the mac conference may not ship until Feb - so that could be a new bullet for the list. I'm sure iMac and MacBook updates will also start again in March-April, if not earlier!

Because of how the market reacts to little minute things, I'm kinda worried about the earnings restatement that is due before 12/28/06 (I think) - other than that, AAPL is clear for continuing sailing throughout January/Feb!!!!
  • Reply 55 of 77
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Anyway I'm too much of a conservative investor . . . to get into single stocks. . . I would buy mutual funds -- but at the time I had the cash I was concerned about mutual funds because it would buy unethical "evil" companies like Wallmart and so-on . . .

Well, I don't think a single stock is so bad, as everyone tells me. I had mutual funds to spread out the risk, but it was going nowhere. I read about an investor who bought bargain stocks, which are very undervalued, and it sounded like a good idea. I sold all the mutual funds and bought Apple stock, which looked undervalued to me a few years ago, when it was $14 before the split. My wife was hesitant, but I said if it did not double in a year we would find a different investment.

Every six months now my broker calls, worried that we have all our eggs in one basket. I just say I'll think about it, and then do nothing. Doing nothing can be very profitable.

• Reply 56 of 77
    We have to keep in mind that a phone from Apple isn't going to be like any other contemporary phone. It will interface with the Mac address book, iChat and even posssibly Mail. It will have an interface as streamlined and intuitive as the iPods. The patent documents posted on the web suggest a new video iPod with touch screen, but it may merge with the phone eventually, if not right out of the box. By then the Zune will be dust.
  • Reply 57 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuencap

SUnil - I know this rundown doesn't go beyond February. I included in the post that I believe AAPL will continue to rise until Feb. The list is what I think AAPL will release news-wise up until the earnings report (also see that I bought Jan. calls! haha)

Who knows though - whatever is released during the mac conference may not ship until Feb - so that could be a new bullet for the list. I'm sure iMac and MacBook updates will also start again in March-April, if not earlier!

Because of how the market reacts to little minute things, I'm kinda worried about the earnings restatement that is due before 12/28/06 (I think) - other than that, AAPL is clear for continuing sailing throughout January/Feb!!!!

Cool 8) ... Can you explain though what you mean by a "January $90 call" -- for us n00bs on that kind of stock buying thingymajiggy.??
  • Reply 58 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob

...The patent documents posted on the web suggest a new video iPod with touch screen, but it may merge with the phone eventually, if not right out of the box....

Actually that will be very interesting, kinda like media-player-iPod-phone-with some PDA functionality without competing directly with Windows Mobile PDAphones...??
  • Reply 59 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy

Well, I don't think a single stock is so bad, as everyone tells me. I had mutual funds to spread out the risk, but it was going nowhere. I read about an investor who bought bargain stocks, which are very undervalued, and it sounded like a good idea. I sold all the mutual funds and bought Apple stock, which looked undervalued to me a few years ago, when it was $14 before the split. My wife was hesitant, but I said if it did not double in a year we would find a different investment............Every six months now my broker calls, worried that we have all our eggs in one basket. I just say I'll think about it, and then do nothing. Doing nothing can be very profitable.

Heh. There's the suggested "food pyramid" style of investments, with cash savings, term deposits forming the base, then mutual funds around the middle, then single stocks and speculative stuff at the tip of the pyramid.

Anyway, from San Jose Mercury News:

"Closing bell: Nasdaq edges up; Google, Apple surge to new highs

Mercury News Wire Services

Wall Street drifted to a slightly higher finish Tuesday as investors shied away from taking new positions in a holiday-shortened week.

The technology-heavy Nasdaq composite index rose 2.12, or 0.1 percent, to 2,454.84.

Silicon Valley's largest tech stocks by market value were mixed, even as Google and Apple Computer surged to all-time highs. Hewlett-Packard, eBay and Yahoo also recorded gains. Oracle was unchanged. Cisco Systems, Intel, Gilead Sciences and Applied Materials declined.

The Dow Jones industrial average rose 5.05, nearly flat, to 12,321.59. The Standard & Poor's 500 index was up 2.31, or 0.2 percent, at 1,402.81.

``We've been seeing a slowdown trickle in volume over the past few days because of the holiday,'' said Scott Fullman, director of investment strategy for Hapoalim Securities USA. ``The market is just holding here, trying to work off a little bit of its overbought conditions that resulted from the rise that we've had over the past month or so.''

Google was up $14.60, or 2.9 percent, at $509.65. The Mountain View Internet company's shares reached an all-time high, surpassing the $500 milestone for the first time.

Apple climbed $1.86, or 2.2 percent, to $88.33, an all-time high. The shares gained as speculation mounted the Cupertino company will unveil an iPod-based phone sometime next year.

Juniper Networks was up 94 cents, or 4.6 percent, at $21.42. The Sunnyvale maker of equipment that directs Internet traffic spiked after JPMorgan analysts raised their rating on the company to ``overweight'' from ``neutral.'

Intel dropped 70 cents, or 3.1 percent, to $21.57. The Santa Clara chip maker's shares fell amid a general decline among semiconductor stocks. Analysts said the sector was hurt by worries about higher chip inventories."
  • Reply 60 of 77
    "calls" are the stock way of saying you belive the stock will increase.

Say the price now is $80. I believe the price will go to $95+ in the next few months, so I buy $90 calls for January. If the price is above $90 at the end of January (the 20th I think), I have the right to buy 100 shares at $90/share. soo..

If the price is $95, they are worth (95 x 100 = 9500) and I bought them at (90 x 100 + 9000) Bam - $500 profit! I am by no means options savvy, as these are my first options purchase. So far, I likey!