Demand for Apple's new iPod shuffle outstripping supply

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    Is it just me or is it interesting that Apple.Com's main start page has a MacBook promo, rather than iPods, or a "Holiday Gift Guide", or a random choice of MacBooks, iPods, or "Gift Guide".....?? Hmmm...
  • Reply 82 of 88
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Yes, looks like the memory thing is like 4GB is great for songs and data, 8GB is perhaps in no-mans-land. Not enough for serious data backup, too much for just music without tv shows and movies.

Edit: If you look at the demographics as well for the 2GB and 1GB nanos and shuffles respectively, they are just nice for data that students/ younger people carry around on pendrives - it's all enough for music and some important files. Any more-geeky person would have an external 40-60gb USB drive or just burn CDs/DVDs for backup. 4GB is a nice "luxury" iPod nano upsell where you get a good decent size memory for the price, not too much memory, and you get... colours...! ...$199 is a nice sweet spot. Of course, $79 for a Shuffle is like, hell, I'll just get one more iPod...

I think Apple tried to replicate the success of the black MacBook. They had several advantages in making Black the well, new black.

1. Increased features

2. Apple laptops have NEVER been black

3. Wide, distinctive price AND feature gap between black MacBook 13.3" and cheapest MacBookPro

Opposed to the current situation

1. As you mentioned, increased memory but no additional features

2. There have been black iPods and continue to be offered

3. No price gap between black iPod nano and black iPod video

4. Lots more features for no price gap in the black iPod video

Also, the reports are out that say that video on the iPods is very secondary.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...017fad91ec0209

Apple has had black laptops before, in the '90's. Charcoal was also used.
  • Reply 83 of 88
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Also, the reports are out that say that video on the iPods is very secondary.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...017fad91ec0209

Apple has had black laptops before, in the '90's. Charcoal was also used.

I'd like to see a charcoal Macbook(Pro.) What previous notebook used Charcoal?
  • Reply 84 of 88
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun

I'd like to see a charcoal Macbook(Pro.) What previous notebook used Charcoal?

I think it was the 2400, a small machine for its time.
  • Reply 85 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

....Apple has had black laptops before, in the '90's. Charcoal was also used....

Ah, my favourite old-school black Mac laptop:

Though my first love will always be the Titanium Powerbook G4s. And the one I used to own.

• Reply 86 of 88
    I was gonna pick up a couple of shuffles with my 10% off coupon at Target, but naturally, both stores I went to were sold out.
  • Reply 87 of 88
    Hey the Black Friday sales didn't discount the Shuffles, did they? \ Also sorry to hear that Galley...
  • Reply 88 of 88
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Hey the Black Friday sales didn't discount the Shuffles, did they? \ Also sorry to hear that Galley...

I don't remember for sure, but If it was, it was by maybe $5 USD. AppleInsider's story didn't mention Shuffle being discounted. I might be remembering some other store's sale.