Palm CEO brushes off Apple cell phone threat

Comments

• Reply 101 of 145
    It's interesting gathering some info about the "mobile --> smartphone" market. And just to throw in, HSDPA and EVDO and similar 3g+ Internet access that eventually will be more affordable.

It does look like Palm, Symbian and WindowsMobile all offer "smartphone" features with some level of compatibility with Windows 2000/XP/Vista(?)...

I've grabbed the all-important chart and dumped it here, good overview: (image)

Good on Symbian, but hope the OS continues to develop into something robust, responsive, smartphone-goodiness etc. And provides a good alternative to continue staving off Windows Mobile.

• Reply 102 of 145
    Actually, that's a pretty revealing graph. It explains the Blackberry "cult" following (AFAIK that's the major RIM system, right?), Palm's continued survivability and Windows Mobile's importance, in the US market.

Symbian overall seems to be kicking ass worldwide. And Linux smartphones.... Whoa. Interesting.

Running down the numbers, total Q2 2006 smartphones is 18 million - in one quarter, globally. so 2006 will probably top out at 80 million smartphones globally.

I think Apple initially will leverage off the iPod base so smartphones will not be their thing. A mobile phone, triple-band GSM unlocked or bundled with [insert US carrier here] will be the initial go. I predict both options available - get it unlocked or if you have contract plan you get the iPhone cheaper. A 1600x1200 "2MP" or so camera with flash (or just a light illuminating the caller's face like the Sony v600i) is good for happy snaps, iChat to other iPhones or "VOIP/Skype/SomethingwhoknowswhatIdontknow". And, 1,000 songs.

As much as some people will not use the camera unless in emergencies, the target demographic strongly shows interest in happy snaps, 1600x1200 is actually good for "enthusiast teen/ college student" who cannot afford a full-blown digital camera. And, of course, the music. iPod-like, a great feature to run key mobile apps and simple games (proprietary OS leveraged off the iPod base I assume), and syncing calendars, etc. --- very tight but simple integration with Mac OSX. Windows users will only get syncing with iTunes (the music only is synced)........... Oh also we *may* be looking at iPhoto for PC. You read it here first, peoples. I went for a cruise East of Melbourne to some pretty beaches, landscapes, golf courses, waterfalls, this weekend. The camera phone was essential. Most tourists were using still digicams or video cameras, but my camera phone was useful. Quality good enough when you resample the original 1280x1024 down to say 640x480 for emailing or MMS-ing to others. Records some *Video clips* as well, albeit at really low res. Gimmicky or not, the iPhone will have some still photo and maybe some video recording capability, with PC syncing of photo/video content via iTunes 7.X (instead of iPhoto for Windows). I can already imagine the iPhone demo at MacWorld SF2007 and iTunes/iPhone song/video/photo integration. iTunes Store purchases on iPhone? Only music, photos, no videos or tv shows on iPhone. Unless there is a more high-end videoiPodPhone -- a bit too full-blown for Apple.

Pun intended, Apple is going to go for the low-hanging *fruit* looking at the margins around the iPod-4gb-Nano range, and take a bit more cream by integrating a phone into it with some interesting features. How they "split" the market with those with iPhone but no iPod, those with iPod but no iPhone, or those with iPod and iPhone as well, I think this has been holding back Apple these past 6 months -- a lot of friggin' research on how to breach the mobile phone market and come out sexy cool and shiny fresh and "Oh, we make really cool computers too...."...

</end rant>

• Reply 103 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

.......I don't know what you mean about aerials. They haven't had pull-out aerials, because they have never been popular here, so companies have gotten rid of them as fast as they could. Mostly cheap phones have them. Treo's have always had stubs. I've never had a problem with signal strength...

Aerials are hella old skool, off with their heads..!!! The Treo stubs are kinda alright, because in a way it helps with the grippiness in your palm, in a little way... I think
  • Reply 104 of 145
    Quote:

The two go hand in hand though. We haven't had much GSM here until a few years ago, and, as you've said you haven't had much CDMA. So, most American developed handsets were CDMA, and most, over there, have been GSM.

Actually, we've not had ANY CDMA in the US sense. 3G here is W-CDMA though.

Quote:

I don't know what you mean about aerials. They haven't had pull-out aerials, because they have never been popular here, so companies have gotten rid of them as fast as they could. Mostly cheap phones have them. Treo's have always had stubs. I've never had a problem with signal strength.

The stubs are what I meant. For Europe they just look terribly old fashioned.

Quote:

The 650 and 700 have Bluetooth. I'd have to look up the older ones. But, until the 650 came out, Bluetooth wasn't in use much anyway. It was one of the first cells to have it, at least over here.

IIRC the first useful phones with Bluetooth here were the SE T68i and Nokia 6310 in about 2001-ish. You had the T68 at least in the US and later the T610/T616. I still use a T610 as it's a very good little phone and the design is spot on.

Quote:

The camera on the 650 wasn't anything to write home about. But the one on my 700p is fine, though it doesn't have an LED flash. Instead it has a small convex mirror so you can take a self-portrait. I would rather have the flash.

A fault they've still not rectified on the new 680 and 750 although at least they've got rid of the stub. But still, no 3G and no WiFi and the camera is only 1.3mp.
  • Reply 105 of 145
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Actually, that's a pretty revealing graph. It explains the Blackberry "cult" following (AFAIK that's the major RIM system, right?), Palm's continued survivability and Windows Mobile's importance, in the US market.

Symbian overall seems to be kicking ass worldwide. And Linux smartphones.... Whoa. Interesting.

Running down the numbers, total Q2 2006 smartphones is 18 million - in one quarter, globally. so 2006 will probably top out at 80 million smartphones globally.

I think Apple initially will leverage off the iPod base so smartphones will not be their thing. A mobile phone, triple-band GSM unlocked or bundled with [insert US carrier here] will be the initial go. I predict both options available - get it unlocked or if you have contract plan you get the iPhone cheaper. A 1600x1200 "2MP" or so camera with flash (or just a light illuminating the caller's face like the Sony v600i) is good for happy snaps, iChat to other iPhones or "VOIP/Skype/SomethingwhoknowswhatIdontknow". And, 1,000 songs.

As much as some people will not use the camera unless in emergencies, the target demographic strongly shows interest in happy snaps, 1600x1200 is actually good for "enthusiast teen/ college student" who cannot afford a full-blown digital camera. And, of course, the music. iPod-like, a great feature to run key mobile apps and simple games (proprietary OS leveraged off the iPod base I assume), and syncing calendars, etc. --- very tight but simple integration with Mac OSX. Windows users will only get syncing with iTunes (the music only is synced)........... Oh also we *may* be looking at iPhoto for PC. You read it here first, peoples. I went for a cruise East of Melbourne to some pretty beaches, landscapes, golf courses, waterfalls, this weekend. The camera phone was essential. Most tourists were using still digicams or video cameras, but my camera phone was useful. Quality good enough when you resample the original 1280x1024 down to say 640x480 for emailing or MMS-ing to others. Records some *Video clips* as well, albeit at really low res. Gimmicky or not, the iPhone will have some still photo and maybe some video recording capability, with PC syncing of photo/video content via iTunes 7.X (instead of iPhoto for Windows). I can already imagine the iPhone demo at MacWorld SF2007 and iTunes/iPhone song/video/photo integration. iTunes Store purchases on iPhone? Only music, photos, no videos or tv shows on iPhone. Unless there is a more high-end videoiPodPhone -- a bit too full-blown for Apple.

Pun intended, Apple is going to go for the low-hanging *fruit* looking at the margins around the iPod-4gb-Nano range, and take a bit more cream by integrating a phone into it with some interesting features. How they "split" the market with those with iPhone but no iPod, those with iPod but no iPhone, or those with iPod and iPhone as well, I think this has been holding back Apple these past 6 months -- a lot of friggin' research on how to breach the mobile phone market and come out sexy cool and shiny fresh and "Oh, we make really cool computers too...."...

</end rant>

I'm wondering if Symbian has severel levels of their OS. That would account for those big numbers. Palm has only one version, the full one. MS has several versions running together, 3, 5, and now 6.

If Symbian has a simple version (cheap), a mid version (well, mid), and the high priced spread, what would the market look like then?
  • Reply 106 of 145
    Quote:

I'm wondering if Symbian has severel levels of their OS. That would account for those big numbers. Palm has only one version, the full one. MS has several versions running together, 3, 5, and now 6.

If Symbian has a simple version (cheap), a mid version (well, mid), and the high priced spread, what would the market look like then?

I think talking about "smartphones" which the graph is about -- smartphones not usual regular mobile phones -- there's maybe two versions of Symbian on that Wikipedia/ other people in the know will, well, know. Whatever versions they have out there and licensing, etc.... it's working well for the Symbian business.....
  • Reply 107 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

I still use a T610 as it's a very good little phone and the design is spot on...

Totally. T610 / T630 is very nice, compact, cute, almost, but very very well designed. Only thing is the camera is lousy on it. But kinda OK for its time. My T630 took a soak in the laundry for about 5-10 minutes. Disassembled it, left the parts around for a few days, reassembled it, voila, it LIVETH!!!
  • Reply 108 of 145
    Oh man, am I loving the spellcheck built-into Firefox 2.0. Finally the Intarwehb is helping improve my Engrish, as opposed to r3duc1nG 1T t0 g0bbL3de3G00k. OMFG. WTF.
  • Reply 109 of 145
    Quote:

It'll run on very limited hardware so it'll run on just simple 'feature' phones like a Walkman phone or simple camera phones all the way up to something you'd typically have Windows Mobile on. Same version. Remember that it's evolved out of Psion's earlier EPOC OS which ran on the Series 3 and Series 5 PDAs. Those were 8086/NEC based with 512KB of RAM. It was somewhat ahead of it's time being object oriented back in the 80s.

Out there at the moment, most phones are based on a Symbian 7 base OS. The '7' gives you an indication of how much further Symbian arrived at from the old Psion PDAs. I can't remember if the first Symbian phone (Ericsson's R380) was v7 or earlier. The Nokia Communicators run Symbian 8 with their S80 UI. Symbian 9 is the next OS version which will supposedly unify 7 and 8. The new N series from Nokia and the P990, M600 and a couple of others from SE run Symbian 9. So do new phones from LG and Samsung.

On top of that each phone manufacturer runs their own set of software above the OS and their own UI. Nokia have 'S60', SE have UIQ although that's also been licenced to Motorola and a couple of others. In Japan the FOMA phones run Symbian with MOAP on top. There's a basic UI kit but then a UI specific one.

Nokia's S60 is fairly primitive in that it doesn't have a touch screen interface. It's basic idea is one handed operation. SE's UIQ has a touch interface. I've not used/seen MOAP.

For that reason I was speculating that it was a good fit for Apple as they could use a solid phone OS base yet still include their own UI and their own software and they could fit it in with basic music phones all the way through to Blackberry squashing smart phones as Symbian 9 already supports Blackberry Connect, MS Active Sync and IMAP IDLE. That bit worked wonders on the P990 I had. Just a shame they didn't sort out the memory handling issues by release. The P990 came with SymbianOS9.1. Symbian OS9.3 supposedly improves memory handling and also adds in CDMA making it more attractive to the USA.
  • Reply 110 of 145
    Quote:

Oh man, am I loving the spellcheck built-into Firefox 2.0. Finally the Intarwehb is helping improve my Engrish, as opposed to r3duc1nG 1T t0 g0bbL3de3G00k. OMFG. WTF.

Had that since Safari 0.something. IME, Firefox's spelling gets English wrong too often. It's annoyingly American.
  • Reply 111 of 145
    Quote:

I think talking about "smartphones" which the graph is about -- smartphones not usual regular mobile phones -- there's maybe two versions of Symbian on that Wikipedia/ other people in the know will, well, know. Whatever versions they have out there and licensing, etc.... it's working well for the Symbian business.....

The question is what defines a smartphone?

Symbian can have a basic smartphone, and more advanced models. The same as we have with computers. They are all computers, but some are $400 basic models, and others cost thousands. There is a difference in capability.
  • Reply 112 of 145
    Quote:

It'll run on very limited hardware so it'll run on just simple 'feature' phones like a Walkman phone or simple camera phones all the way up to something you'd typically have Windows Mobile on. Same version. Remember that it's evolved out of Psion's earlier EPOC OS which ran on the Series 3 and Series 5 PDAs. Those were 8086/NEC based with 512KB of RAM. It was somewhat ahead of it's time being object oriented back in the 80s.

Out there at the moment, most phones are based on a Symbian 7 base OS. The '7' gives you an indication of how much further Symbian arrived at from the old Psion PDAs. I can't remember if the first Symbian phone (Ericsson's R380) was v7 or earlier. The Nokia Communicators run Symbian 8 with their S80 UI. Symbian 9 is the next OS version which will supposedly unify 7 and 8. The new N series from Nokia and the P990, M600 and a couple of others from SE run Symbian 9. So do new phones from LG and Samsung.

On top of that each phone manufacturer runs their own set of software above the OS and their own UI. Nokia have 'S60', SE have UIQ although that's also been licenced to Motorola and a couple of others. In Japan the FOMA phones run Symbian with MOAP on top. There's a basic UI kit but then a UI specific one.

Nokia's S60 is fairly primitive in that it doesn't have a touch screen interface. It's basic idea is one handed operation. SE's UIQ has a touch interface. I've not used/seen MOAP.

For that reason I was speculating that it was a good fit for Apple as they could use a solid phone OS base yet still include their own UI and their own software and they could fit it in with basic music phones all the way through to Blackberry squashing smart phones as Symbian 9 already supports Blackberry Connect, MS Active Sync and IMAP IDLE. That bit worked wonders on the P990 I had. Just a shame they didn't sort out the memory handling issues by release. The P990 came with SymbianOS9.1. Symbian OS9.3 supposedly improves memory handling and also adds in CDMA making it more attractive to the USA.

So it does seem to have a tiered structure.
  • Reply 113 of 145
    Quote:

Had that since Safari 0.something. IME, Firefox's spelling gets English wrong too often. It's annoyingly American.

Er, I wouldn't call that wrong. Canadian English is actually closer to ours as well. There "only" 350 million of us speaking, and writing that way. And English over most of the world is taught on the American model, except possibly for the Commonwealth countries.

I would suggest that a team from over there write an alternative spellcheck dictionary.
  • Reply 114 of 145
    Quote:

Er, I wouldn't call that wrong. Canadian English is actually closer to ours as well. There "only" 350 million of us speaking, and writing that way. And English over most of the world is taught on the American model, except possibly for the Commonwealth countries.

I would suggest that a team from over there write an alternative spellcheck dictionary.

I have not explored Firefox 2.0+ dictionaries on whether you can change it. I'm not too bothered by American English, there are simple differences. In general MS Word and other programs have "British English" or "International English" which does the job fine for English anywhere outside the US, Commonwealth or not. But I think I'm only speaking about Malaysia, Singapore, UK, Australia, Europe, India. Not sure if China is going the route of American English or British English......... Cool, Safari had spellchecking in forms? I haven't tried it. But I am on a Windoze laptop most of the time now. So it's cool to have Firefox all along instead of Internet Exploder these past 2 years or so (2 years ago I sold my Macs and since then my parents use their iBook a lot which I set up, tinker with, and occasionally use....). Most helpful is the spelling of "occasional" and "committee" and "commitment" which I never usually get right. Overall, English standards have dropped drastically and working with web editors in 2003 and getting a feel of their print publishing background, spelling is just the first step. There's a lot to writing and publishing for print and online that's related to a style guide that a publication sticks to, as well as editors and sub-editors that clean up the original writing. Also a lot mass/media communication principles for the company you work with, as related to "staying on message", "brand mantras", and all that kind of stuff... including "massaging and framing the issues"... Writing a book, boy, that's a whole other world. Writing a thesis, phew. As much as I sound like I know stuff (or maybe not!) my brain no can processing all this intellektual kind of things so so much now a dayz.
  • Reply 115 of 145
    Google Mail is kinda cute, if you choose "British" or "International" English or something like that instead of the default USA setting, you get "Empty Wastebasket" in the Deleted Items screen, instead of "Empty Trash". Yeah, British English calls for a "waste paper basket" (not sure if all three words are separated) or "rubbish bin". I think. Also "garbage bin" is acceptable. "Wastepaper basket" is a more office-oriented or even home-waste term when you're being really nice, whereas "rubbish bin" and "garbage bin" is usually related to nastier waste. "Trash" has seeped into British and International English a lot, mainly the use of the word "trashy" eg. "Paris Hilton is such a trashy girl." Hmmm.... Overall I'm so confused nowadays, while I used to do well in Literature and wrote my undergraduate thesis several years ago, modern communication in commercial, marketing and business contexts seem quite complex. ... iPods, blogging, texting, mp3s, none of these really existed 10 or even 5 years ago in mainstream English, American or otherwise.
  • Reply 116 of 145
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I have not explored Firefox 2.0+ dictionaries on whether you can change it.

I don't know how to do it in the preferences. If you mispell a word, you can right click it and at the bottom of the contextual menu, you will see "Languages", click "add dictionary". It will take you to a web site to pick what languages and versions you want to add. For some reason, they also have Canadian and Australian dictionaries, it would be interesting to see the differences.
  • Reply 117 of 145
    Test here: Use this sentence as written and you'll see some of the most common differences in US and British English: "organising the privileges of colour and contrast and synthesising the maintenance of the centre of trash and rubbish and generalisations of life and living...." ...Hey cool, thanks mate. JeffDM you are a champ, old chap, if I do say so myself. Jolly bloody good. British English. Ah, the warm bosom of the motherland untainted by convict or colonial life, or runaway states infected by history of those bloody French, Mexicans and Dutch -- such as the US of A ...Yeah the British English dictionary works quite well in Firefox 2.0 - I won't use the Australian English dictionary, just to stay on my toes in the global English scene and maybe improving my English back to good ol' solid British English . Heh, anyway bloke, mate, bloody, dinky, wallaby is there, though not strewth, sheila, croc, mossie, or pressie. Heh. Cool. Hella cool. (Hmm.. of course, "hella" is not in the British dictionary. Heh.) ...Pimp my ride, pimping, bitching, and tight are all there though.
  • Reply 118 of 145
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    That was weird.
  • Reply 119 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

That was weird.

Yeah, but he's our friend.
  • Reply 120 of 145
    Quote:

?back to good ol' solid British English?

I wouldn't quite describe any of the variations on English as "solid." One could even make the argument that English has survived transplantation remarkably well considering how "soft" it was when England was out and about making colonies.

The English were consistent in one way though? as far as I can tell many of England's other former colonies still have insane import duties.