Neeham sees Macs capturing 8.3% PC share by 2016

Comments

• Reply 81 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave

And they call us Zealots! Don't they realize that a student who's been using Tiger will be in a better position to use the major new features of Vista than an XP user?

No.

Quote:

I understand Macs have been doing well in the UK but the decision making is less parental. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.

McD

Yes.
  • Reply 82 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCentric

Yes, he was. The Pixar IPO took place November 29, 1995, pretty much in line with the release of Toy Story. The IPO opened at 22 and hit 50 before the end of the day. Jobs owned over 60% of Pixar at the time. Apple purchased Next on December 20th, 1996. A full year later.

I would argue that Steve saw for instance how his decisions in the past were bad for Next such as losing the deal to license NextStep to IBM because he was difficult. I might also argue that he sold it because he wanted to get more leverage over Apple as he had called Apple board members telling them to consider him for the CEO job even before Amelio took over, But at the time of the sale of Next to Apple, Steve had plenty of money to do whatever he wanted including continuing to keep Next alive on his own dime as he had for years.

Yeah, you're right about the timeline. I keep thinking that Toy Story came out late '97 for some reason.
  • Reply 83 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram

Hmmmm..... I can't quite figure out the arithmetic here.

(Unless, of course, you are also going to be getting rid of a PC that you currenly own).

First post jitters? I had the same not too long ago.....

3 computers in house. 2 Wintels, 1 Powerbook. Soon to be 2 Apples, one Wintel. Is my math wrong? LOL Yeah, I am getting rid of the older machine. It's being retired to Goodwill.
  • Reply 84 of 101
    Quote:

And they call us Zealots! Don't they realize that a student who's been using Tiger will be in a better position to use the major new features of Vista than an XP user?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

No.

Yes.

It remains my hope that a decent quality school will realise that IT and computers is not just about making web pages with blinking text and blogging myspace and shite.

Assuming a reasonable level of affordability, running Leopard and virtualised Vista and XP, it would certainly *educate* (which is the main purpose here, no?) kids about computers, IT, and what this IT thing *is all about*. Not just how to use it, but what it can do, what platforms are out there, and business desktop, fine, you've got windows, but for those interested in future programming/ web design/ server admin, giving them a mixed environment sets up a good foundation. It's about a broad-based foundation that serves strong educational goals, while also allowing all the administration benefits for the school -- dealing with Apple-only hardware.

Cost though... The usual budget arguments. Good luck to anyone that has to deal with that.
  • Reply 85 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Yes.

It remains my hope that a decent quality school will realise that IT and computers is not just about making web pages with blinking text and blogging myspace and shite.

Assuming a reasonable level of affordability, running Leopard and virtualised Vista and XP, it would certainly *educate* (which is the main purpose here, no?) kids about computers, IT, and what this IT thing *is all about*. Not just how to use it, but what it can do, what platforms are out there, and business desktop, fine, you've got windows, but for those interested in future programming/ web design/ server admin, giving them a mixed environment sets up a good foundation. It's about a broad-based foundation that serves strong educational goals, while also allowing all the administration benefits for the school -- dealing with Apple-only hardware.

Cost though... The usual budget arguments. Good luck to anyone that has to deal with that.

It isn't whether it is a good idea. We all agree that it is. It's the difficulty with the average adult, who has never used a Mac, and has very possibly never even seen one in "person". They know what they know. And Mac's have been laughed at in business for such a long time now, that it's difficult to dissipate those beliefs.

Sadly, the comcept of which computer system is best, and the interchangability between them, has become close to a religious one, where mine is right, and yours is wrong, and the two can't mix.

Change is in the air, but it will come slowly.
  • Reply 86 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga

<i>Many companies, and governments, simply won't buy, big time, into Apple, because they are a single source.</i>

Fortunately the single-source concern isn't true of any US companies I've ever heard of, nor the US government. Thus, it's pretty irrelevant for Apple's primary markets.

The argument that many make against Apple, because they are a single source does not hold up. Microsoft is a single source for the two main components used in business and government, which are Windows and Office.

Where people should be focused as far as single source is on the end application compatibility and not on the hardware or OS issues. For instance lets assume that government decided to only use office packages that supported an open file and formatting specification. Then all of the "office" software suppliers including Microsoft with office , Apple with iWork, Sun with StarOffice/Open Office, etc could support it if they choose. Then if any of the "single" source providers for part of the stack went in the wrong direction, business or government could simply buy a different stack that supported the end use open standards based applications they needed.

Also now that Apple is on intel, if business or government later decided they did not like the direction Apple was going with the OS, they could simply put windows or linux on the computers and not have to replace everything at once.

This argument of single source worries, simply does not hold any weight and is only used as an excuse by lazy individuals in business and government who do not want to do the work required to make changes even if those changes would drastically improve quality. Change always comes with conflict, whether the change is good or not. If individuals, businesses and government were focused on open standards for the interoperability of end applications, then the technologies could compete based on merit and personal preferences and not on monopoly status.
  • Reply 87 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ex-linux

The argument that many make against Apple, because they are a single source does not hold up. Microsoft is a single source for the two main components used in business and government, which are Windows and Office.

Where people should be focused as far as single source is on the end application compatibility and not on the hardware or OS issues. For instance lets assume that government decided to only use office packages that supported an open file and formatting specification. Then all of the "office" software suppliers including Microsoft with office , Apple with iWork, Sun with StarOffice/Open Office, etc could support it if they choose. Then if any of the "single" source providers for part of the stack went in the wrong direction, business or government could simply buy a different stack that supported the end use open standards based applications they needed.

Also now that Apple is on intel, if business or government later decided they did not like the direction Apple was going with the OS, they could simply put windows or linux on the computers and not have to replace everything at once.

This argument of single source worries, simply does not hold any weight and is only used as an excuse by lazy individuals in business and government who do not want to do the work required to make changes even if those changes would drastically improve quality. Change always comes with conflict, whether the change is good or not. If individuals, businesses and government were focused on open standards for the interoperability of end applications, then the technologies could compete based on merit and personal preferences and not on monopoly status.

It does hold up, because the single sourcing problem is a hardware one, not a software one. But, Apple doesn't do other things that Dell, Hp, and other will do, so it isn't the only problem.

But, that doesn't mean that if some equipment is so unique that is is only single sourced it won't be bought. But, computers are not in that catagory.
  • Reply 88 of 101
    Well It captured my home and office. and my dad is drooling over a iMAC 20 incher. He is tired of wires, case taking up space etc. I will be getting him one for christmas. My brothers want Mac Minis. So it is spreading in our family.
  • Reply 89 of 101
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodrax

Well It captured my home and office. and my dad is drooling over a iMAC 20 incher. He is tired of wires, case taking up space etc. I will be getting him one for christmas. My brothers want Mac Minis. So it is spreading in our family.

Heh. My mum wants to get my dad an iPod Shuffle (AUD $119) for Xmas, engraved will be nice, and I suggested a $50 iTunes Store gift card for getting him some tunes like Bee Gees and stuff from the Australia iTMS. This year Apple is putting a lot more advertising into iPods and Macs (TV) and then there's the catalogues from Target, KMart, and so on. 8)

My brother bought them an iBook G4 933mhz 3 years ago, I've been tinkering with it when I have the time to stay in touch with Mac. Dropped in 512mb for 640mb RAM, swapped out (dodgy job, but I'm no Certified Tech) 4200rpm HD (Hitachi, which later died when used for a few months as USB2.0External) with a WesternDigital Scorpio 60gb 5400rpm. OS 10.3.9. I'm definitely not buying Hitachi drives ever. WesternDigital or Seagate-5 year warranty, higher-end without much extra cost, over Maxtor which Seagate has bought.

Next step is Leopard 10.5 ... Sweeet. I'll get a decent external USB2.0+FW400 interface case and slide in a simple Seagate 7200rpm 80gb or something for Time Machine. And voila......... my backup worries for my parents computers are solved. This case *must be* bus-powered through FW400, an external power thing is a real pain in the a55. USB2.0 and a 2.5" drive, for me, is just not speedy enough, even though it's slim and bus powered. 8)
  • Reply 90 of 101
    I just thought I'd mention this. I'm in the campass libery, and lots of people have laptops.

the ratio of mac to pc is about 50/50. There might even be more macs than pc's. Also, alot of people with pc's (and macs, and well everybody really) have iPods. I think the market share will be going up a little sooner than people might think.
  • Reply 91 of 101
    If Microsoft was smart they would pull the rug and stop offering Office for Mac and modify Vista to detect Macintosh or Parallels and fail to run.
  • Reply 92 of 101
    Quote:

If Microsoft was smart they would pull the rug and stop offering Office for Mac and modify Vista to detect Macintosh or Parallels and fail to run.

Heh. The US and European governments will come down hard on them. 8)
  • Reply 93 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shnoz

...I'm in the campass libery, and lots of people have laptops...

Good God, you're in college with that kind of spelling ?!!

Just kidding mate. Goooo Apple! When I went to uni/college I was pretty much the only one in lectures with a laptop. 64 shades of grey. Mmmm... try playing Doom2 on that screen. If the greyscale didn't warp your brain, the ghosting on the screen would. I kid you not. Oh, and virtually NO ONE had mobile phones... And I'm only 28 now....!
  • Reply 94 of 101
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:

It does hold up, because the single sourcing problem is a hardware one, not a software one. But, Apple doesn't do other things that Dell, Hp, and other will do, so it isn't the only problem.

But, that doesn't mean that if some equipment is so unique that is is only single sourced it won't be bought. But, computers are not in that catagory.

Convenient! So no to Mac due to a lack of choice in hardware but OK to a lack of choice in OS & a restriction to badly designed software (because there's lots of it?) A cynic might say the choice in hardware is a distraction and creates a lock-in that prevents choice in the more important areas of OS & Applications (the only part of a system that's actually useful to a user).

Referring this argument back to your school situation, presumably they use Macs for media so as not to disadvantage the students when they leave?

McD
  • Reply 95 of 101
    Quote:

Convenient! So no to Mac due to a lack of choice in hardware but OK to a lack of choice in OS & a restriction to badly designed software (because there's lots of it?) A cynic might say the choice in hardware is a distraction and creates a lock-in that prevents choice in the more important areas of OS & Applications (the only part of a system that's actually useful to a user).

To corporations, and government, it makes sense. This isn't the day of the mainframe.

MS gets off the hook because it is large enough so that it isn't going away. It also gets away with it because it isn't dependent on one hardware vendor who can go out of business, taking it with them.

Apple has had both of those problems, and nearly went under at one point. That leaves a bad taste.

Also, from the beginning, Apple has been seen as a rebel in the corporate world. The old Apple II's were sneaked in under the radar. The Mac was not suited for corporate use because of some very bad decisions on Jobs part. By the time they were corrected, after he had gone, it was too late.

In Christmas 1995, a very bad decision was made to release many lower cost (but not that cheap) 68040 machines, when people were switching to the PPC machines, and it cost Apple big time. That led to the removal of most of the machines that did make it into corporate and government.

Apple hasn't recovered yet.

Jobs announced, upon returning to Apple, in a response to a question about the enterprise customer, that: "The enterprise isn't our customer". That's paraphrased, because I don't remember if that was exactly the words he used.

You NEVER say that someone is NOT your customer!! Never! Never!

Now, we find that there is simply very little corporate software that runs on a Mac. The thousands of in-house programs developed also don't run on a Mac. This is a big deterrent to buying Macs. We are seeing some of that software moving over, but very little so far.

Apple also doesn't give corporations what they want in terms of "lock-in". Large companies replace hardware on a regular, timed basis, for the most part.

A company may write a contract for 6,000 machines. 2,000 to be delivered this year, 2,000 the next, and the last 2,000 the beginning of the third year. So far so good you say. Apple can do that, and so they can.

But, these companies want all 6,000 machines to be EXACTLY the same. Down to the tags on the cables. They do this for maintenance sake. They learn what the problems are, and what needs to be done to fix them. They can upgrade all machines to fix the same problem all at once without worrying whether it will work.

Apple won't do that. The machines they deliver six months from today may not be the same machine they deliver today, much less two years from now.

The roadmap for hardware is another problem, as we are aware, as are their plans for the OS. Companies, and government agencies want to KNOW!

Quote:

Referring this argument back to your school situation, presumably they use Macs for media so as not to disadvantage the students when they leave?

McD

I'm not saying that the school system here doesn't use Macs. We have over 1,200 schools, and over a million students!

Macs are favored in the K-6 group. They are moving out in the 7-9 group, and are a small percentage in the 10-12 group. Those numbers represent grades, not ages.

But it's a mixed bag. Dell is the predominate brand, because they are the approved vendor for the city. This leads to some odd situations.

When purchasing Macs, we have to buy through—Dell!

Yes! Dell sells and services Macs in the NYC school system!!!

How's that for a bifurcated system?

Macs are often, but not always, used for media. It varies.
  • Reply 96 of 101
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

They are. They're just doing it in a sneaky corporate way that the average person won't realize what happened until it's all over. See link for details.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/12/opin...soft/index.php
  • Reply 97 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

They are. They're just doing it in a sneaky corporate way that the average person won't realize what happened until it's all over. See link for details.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/12/opin...soft/index.php

Yeah, that *is* disturbing. Parallels is the key here. Luckily, VMWare is not far behind. I definitely hope Apple, Parallels and VMWare legal teams (sad that it has to come to that) will be well informed if Vista, Office2007, XP2, or any other MicroShaft software is somehow crippled in Virtualization or BootCamp environments.

From the sound of it I would frack off Office2007-for-Mac and just (if I really needed) run Office2007 in Parallels. A bit more of an investment for Parallels and XP2/ Vista, but worthwhile in the long run especially if I need seamless work-related compatibilities.

Luckily most business environments will still be on 2000/XP2 and MSOffice 2000/2003 for at least through 2007. I don't have the figures, but globally, Office 2007 and Vista uptake won't be as sextastic as the hype machine would like you to believe.
  • Reply 98 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Yeah, that *is* disturbing. Parallels is the key here. Luckily, VMWare is not far behind. I definitely hope Apple, Parallels and VMWare legal teams (sad that it has to come to that) will be well informed if Vista, Office2007, XP2, or any other MicroShaft software is somehow crippled in Virtualization or BootCamp environments.

From the sound of it I would frack off Office2007-for-Mac and just (if I really needed) run Office2007 in Parallels. A bit more of an investment for Parallels and XP2/ Vista, but worthwhile in the long run especially if I need seamless work-related compatibilities.

Luckily most business environments will still be on 2000/XP2 and MSOffice 2000/2003 for at least through 2007. I don't have the figures, but globally, Office 2007 and Vista uptake won't be as sextastic as the hype machine would like you to believe.

Vista cetainly won't be crippled in any way running from Boot Camp.

But even those versions allowed to run under virtualization will be crippled. MS has stated as part of the license, that no DRM will be allowed to run under virtualization.

I'm not sure if that is limited to their own DRM, or whether it would extend to all DRM, such as Apples'.

But this sure puts a crimp in the usability for many people.

As far as VB is concerned, MS has already stated that they are depreciating it. It will be replaced. Perhaps this is not so much of a blow as people are thinking, at least in the longer term.
  • Reply 99 of 101
    Quote:

Vista cetainly won't be crippled in any way running from Boot Camp.

But even those versions allowed to run under virtualization will be crippled. MS has stated as part of the license, that no DRM will be allowed to run under virtualization.

I'm not sure if that is limited to their own DRM, or whether it would extend to all DRM, such as Apples'.

As far as VB is concerned, MS has already stated that they are depreciating it. It will be replaced. Perhaps this is not so much of a blow as people are thinking, at least in the longer term.

It's true that MS is eventually doing away with VB, but on the windows side I saw that this won't happen for five years because windows users blew a gasket. By then MS office for the Mac will probably be a part of history.
  • Reply 100 of 101
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Is it just a EULA clause, or Is there a way for Microsoft to enforce this in their software? I don't remember if anyone has asked this question or if there was an answer out there.