Parallels preps major update to Windows virtualization software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Parallel, Inc. is preparing to make a quantum leap in the art of Windows virtualization software for the Mac with a new version of its Parallels Desktop software that will introduce a refined user interface and greater support for Apple Computer's Boot Camp software.

A beta of the upcoming release, distributed to testers this week, packs a completely redesigned interface for windows and dialogs, making them even easier to manage and more appealing to the eye.

Another major enhancement in the new version -- labeled Parallels Desktop for Mac Beta Build 3036 -- will allow a pre-installed Apple Boot Camp partition with Windows XP to be used as a virtual hard disk drive. Users of the software will be able to boot from that Boot Camp partition directly from within Parallels Desktop, forgoing a restart.

Build 3036 will also allow the main Parallels Desktop window to be resized like any other Mac application window and the Windows interface will instantaneously auto-adjust its screen resolution to match the new window size.

Another long awaited feature slated to make its debut is "seamless drag-and-drop" of files and folders between Windows and Max OS X. Along the same lines, a feature called "coherency," will display Windows applications as if they were Mac ones.

"Try it and enjoy best of both worlds truly at the same time," Parallels told testers in a set of release notes accompanying the beta build. "No more switching between Windows to Mac OS.*"

Also near completion is a feature that will cater to users having more than one virtual machine (VM), making each of them "available through centralized VM catalogue which appears on each Parallels Desktop for Mac instance start."

Parallels told testers the latest builds of the virtualization software improve graphics performance by up to 50 percent on different applications. Meanwhile, improved USB compatibility will do away with the annoying "wait 5-10 seconds" message that typically appears when connecting a USB device to Parallels Desktop.

The software's networking capabilities are also receiving a significant boost, with on-the-fly switching between network modes while the VM is running and support for up to five virtual network interfaces. Similarly, users will also be able to run Cisco VPN and many other complicated networking applications in conjunction with Connection Sharing Mode.

Other new features included in build 3036 include one-click virtual machine aliases, transparent mapping of command-AZXCV key combinations, shared folder configuration on-the-fly, drag-and-drop of CD/FDD images and folders, and some new eye-catching animations that coincide with Power On/Power Off/Suspend/Resume/Pause functions.

Additionally, Parallels said its adding a "Transporter Beta bundled" in the new version that will help users migrate their Windows PC, VMware or Virtual PC VMs to Parallels virtual machines.

The Renton, Wash.-based company said build 3036 will be a free update to the current version of the software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 98
    You can download the build from Parallels here:

http://forums.parallels.com/thread5997.html

Matt
  • Reply 2 of 98
    Fun fact!

While the phrase can be used to describe "revolutionary" changes (i.e. all-at-once instead of over time), a "quantum leap" is actually a very tiny change (the smallest change in state possible for an electron).
  • Reply 3 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akabaka

Fun fact!

While the phrase can be used to describe "revolutionary" changes (i.e. all-at-once instead of over time), a "quantum leap" is actually a very tiny change (the smallest change in state possible for an electron).

Awesome first post, Mr Palindrome.
  • Reply 4 of 98
    eightball0, is it a demo version? Time or functionality limited?
  • Reply 5 of 98
    Man, can't wait until the headline reads

"Latest Build of Parallels Desktop now supports direct graphic card acceleration"

That is when things are going to blow up. Not just on these boards but everywhere. My prediction, the new cool thing for PC gamers will actually be a Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 98
    Quote:

Fun fact!

It refers to a non continuous jump from one state to another as opposed to the gradual shift or development. Just happens to be small for electrons and their energy states in nature.
  • Reply 7 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave

Man, can't wait until the headline reads

"Latest Build of Parallels Desktop now supports direct graphic card acceleration"

That is when things are going to blow up. Not just on these boards but everywhere. My prediction, the new cool thing for PC gamers will actually be a Mac.

Im watiting for that one as well.
  • Reply 8 of 98
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Tehnically it shouldn't be really hard to implement, right?
  • Reply 9 of 98
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Fun fact!

Hah! Good point.
  • Reply 10 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck

Tehnically it shouldn't be really hard to implement, right?

Supposedly, it is. Only one OS can have control of it at once. Makes sense when you think about it. OS X still controls the machine. The virtual machine is really just riding piggyback. Which OS should control the GPU?

If that turns out to by the piggyback OS, then none of OS X's graphics functions will work. Uh oh!
  • Reply 11 of 98
    What I was wondering, is what exactly does it mean that the Boot Camp volume can be used as a virtual volume?

Does that mean that you are now in Boot Camp, and Parallels is no longer available? Does that mean that now it works exactly as though you booted from Boot Camp, or are there still restrictions, such as the one from the last post, with the GPU?
  • Reply 12 of 98
    I stopped using PCs 11 years ago, and never looked back since.

Nowerdays I don't need them for work or play. Basically never had need but now that I got a new MBP and the prospects of running Parallels makes it appealing just for the fun of it and to see what we can do with it.

How affected does windows get by viruses through Parallels? Is it as bad as on normal PS systems?
  • Reply 13 of 98
    I understand it means that you can access your Windows partition either through a reboot thanks to Bootcamp (max performances, gaming as on a PC, OS X unavailable) or through Parallels (OS X system still in use, lesser performance of Windows). You doesn't need anymore a Parallels VM with a closed Windows environement AND a Windows partition at the same time…

No more need to double the settings, double Win software installation, or double the space occupied by Windows… Nice, really.
  • Reply 14 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

What I was wondering, is what exactly does it mean that the Boot Camp volume can be used as a virtual volume?

Does that mean that you are now in Boot Camp, and Parallels is no longer available? Does that mean that now it works exactly as though you booted from Boot Camp, or are there still restrictions, such as the one from the last post, with the GPU?

It means the same Windows installation in Boot Camp can be booted up and used in Parallels, so you don't have to have two seperate installations! This is SOOO COOOL! I've been waiting for this! Thank you Parallels!!!!
  • Reply 15 of 98
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Two notes:

1. Migrating from VPC? Does that mean I can use my old VPC install and not have to buy a fresh copy of XP? That would be great!

2. Sharing one install between Parallels and Boot Camp: note that when Vista comes, only the more expensive flavors will allow that dual-use. Others will allow you to run either way, but NOT switch between the two methods.
  • Reply 16 of 98
    OK, since Boot Camp is running Windows directly on the Intel chip...not through virtualization/emulation...and since Parallels will now allow you to run Boot Camp in its window, wouldn't you be running Windows without virtualization/emulation? Therefore, wouldn't this avoid the licensing issue Microsoft has raised with running some versions of Vista on virtual machines?!

I see that this announcement refers to XP specifically. So I wonder if Parallels will not provide this feature with Vista unless it's one of the versions that are approved for virtual machines.
  • Reply 17 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steiner

How affected does windows get by viruses through Parallels? Is it as bad as on normal PS systems?

Getting viruses are just as easy regardless of which method you use to run windows. Thats because obtaining viruses are 100% user error.

As both a windows and mac user then I have to say that viruses are NOT the problem that mac fanatics like to play them up to be. Yes, its better to not have to worry about them, but if you've got any common sense then its easy to avoid. The last virus Ive ever had on ANY of my systems is almost a decade ago when a friend used his virus-laden floppy drive. Other than that our entire family knows what to open and what not to.
  • Reply 18 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macvault

It means the same Windows installation in Boot Camp can be booted up and used in Parallels, so you don't have to have two seperate installations! This is SOOO COOOL! I've been waiting for this! Thank you Parallels!!!!

Yeah, I got that part. What I was wondering about was whether it acted like a Boot Camp partition, or just as a Parallels one, though I suspect it is the latter.
  • Reply 19 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich2

OK, since Boot Camp is running Windows directly on the Intel chip...not through virtualization/emulation...and since Parallels will now allow you to run Boot Camp in its window, wouldn't you be running Windows without virtualization/emulation? Therefore, wouldn't this avoid the licensing issue Microsoft has raised with running some versions of Vista on virtual machines?!

I see that this announcement refers to XP specifically. So I wonder if Parallels will not provide this feature with Vista unless it's one of the versions that are approved for virtual machines.

Whoa, that's a good question.

Will the OS know that it's in a virtual partition, or will it continue to "think" it's running from Boot Camp? How will it report that?

If so, will MS try to prevent this feature, as is, from working, perhaps legally?
  • Reply 20 of 98
    "We are continuing our efforts for bringing you even more feature-full product and we are making our latest Parallels Desktop for Mac Beta Build 3036 early available to you. It will be one more FREE update of the currently available version."

Does this mean we'll be paying for updates later?