"Proximity" key to Apple's advance into the enterprise

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Computer's purchase of Proximity Corporation may be part of broader push by the Mac maker into the enterprise market, one Wall Street analyst says.

In a note to clients this week, ThinkEquity analyst Jonathan Hoopes said the acquisition supports his thesis that Apple's industry leading software holds the key to further Mac market share gains and margin expansion.

"We expect Apple to leverage the Proximity asset to bolster its core position in the enterprise space (as defined by creative professionals) and further improve the functionality of the consumer-focused iLife digital lifestyle application suite," he wrote.

Hoopes estimates that creative professionals comprise approximately 3 million to 5 million of the the company's 20+ million active Mac OS X users. "It is from this creative pro user base (further bolstered by Proximity's technology) that we expect Apple to make a stronger push into the enterprise," he explained.

Proximity -- a privately held firm with offices in New York, London and Sydney -- focused on developing and marketing advanced rich media asset management (RMAM) and workflow optimization software for the broadcast, creative-production, gaming and corporate industries.

Proximity's artbox sofware

In recent years, its artbox workgroup and enterprise software bundles became the de-facto industry standard for next-generation integrated RMAM and workflow for the broadcasting industry, with installations serving some of the biggest names in the business.

According to the Proximity's website, its software solutions cater to over broadcasters in 16 countries. It counts amongst its clients CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox News, ESPN, BBC (UK), TF1 (France), KBS (Korea), Deutsche Welle (Germany), and Channel 9 News (Australia).

Proximity's artbox sofware

Word of Apple's acquisition of the software developer was revealed by Proximity itself, which earlier this week posted the following message to its website:

"We are pleased to announce that all Proximity technology and intellectual property, including artbox workgroup and artbox enterprise, was recently acquired by Apple."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    I always find it funny when (in the rare case) Apple acquires someone, practically no-one's ever heard of them before.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

I always find it funny when (in the rare case) Apple acquires someone, practically no-one's ever heard of them before.

Because they are companies selling into vertical markets. Not many people knew who Silicon Color was but video people were aware.

Broadcasters are probably familiar with Proximity.

Frankly I don't think Apple's making a big push into the Enterprise. They have a backend with OS X server but they're weak on Middleware and front end stuff outside of video production.

I'm content to see Apple continue to focus on creative markets.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    WHERE DO THEY FIND THESE "ANALYSTS"????

C'mon, it's so freakin' obvious this acquisition has *nothing* to do with Enterprise or even iLife for the near-term.... it's for Final Cut Pro. FCP asset management has long been completely missing; it's the one area where Avid is ahead.

You couldn't summon enough rolly-eyes for this guy. (And why on earth is AI quoting him? I'd think they'd have the sense to see the Proximity acquisition for what it is.)
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Head less mid-rage desktops are key to Apple's advance into the enterprise
  • Reply 5 of 35
    You are so right Joe the Dragon. And I hope Apple shows it as "one more thing" at Macworld SF.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Unlikely... I agree with Hobbes. This supports FCP.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    You guys are misunderstanding the term enterprise

CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox News, ESPN, BBC (UK), TF1 (France), KBS (Korea), Deutsche Welle (Germany), and Channel 9 News (Australia)....These are Enterprise customers.

Mom and Pop wedding videographers are NOT Enterprise.

Currently many large enterprises still don't use Final Cut Studio because it doesn't have the asset management capabilities that $200,000 turnkey systems do.

Final Cut Studio is perfect for the videographer who has a couple hours of footage to manage.

Now picture CNN and the size of their video archive!

Now that Apple has acquired Proximity, Enterprise level customers are far more likely to consider buying an Apple solution.

By an Apple solution I don't mean 1 Mac Pro and a copy of Final Cut Studio.

I mean...

8 Mac Pro with gigs of memory

8 30" Cinema displays

8 copies of Final Cut Studio

8 Support contracts

3 Xserves

more support and maintenance contracts

5 XServe RAIDS

the software sells the hardware and services
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes

C'mon, it's so freakin' obvious this acquisition has *nothing* to do with Enterprise or even iLife for the near-term.... it's for Final Cut Pro. FCP asset management has long been completely missing; it's the one area where Avid is ahead.

You couldn't summon enough rolly-eyes for this guy. (And why on earth is AI quoting him? I'd think they'd have the sense to see the Proximity acquisition for what it is.)

I do believe you are the only one with a brain in this thread! Everone else here must use their Macs solely for gaming and web-surfing for this not to be incredibly obvious!!
  • Reply 9 of 35
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected]

I do believe you are the only one with a brain in this thread! Everone else here must use their Macs solely for gaming and web-surfing for this not to be incredibly obvious!!

Aperture for Video
  • Reply 10 of 35
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox News, ESPN, BBC (UK), TF1 (France), KBS (Korea), Deutsche Welle (Germany), and Channel 9 News (Australia)....These are Enterprise customers.

Yep Johnny is right.

Movies and filmed television has warmed up pretty well to Final Cut Pro. Even though it is a distant second to Avid. I don't believe broadcast television even considers Final Cut Pro as an option.

Apple will need to move pretty quickly in implementing Proximity's intellectual property into a killer product. At this point no one but Apple knows exactly what is going to happen with Proximity's intellectual property. With Proxima's impressive customer roster its competitors will no doubt fill the vacuum to pitch their own solutions.

Stoking broadcaster fears of Proximity's intellectual property being integrated into Final Cut Pro and how inferior FCP is to their solutions. And of those who are mostly Windows based the fear or doubt of being forced to switch to Mac. Broadcasters are definitely going to explore their options. Apple needs to as quickly as possible reveal what they are doing if they want to keep many of these major broadcasters as customers.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Off topic ...sorry ... But why does Apple Insider have some many damn Windows ads in all these threads? If I want to see that damn Windows logo I switch on one of my PCs (and wait, and wait and wait ...), please AI not when I am enjoying reading Mac news and gossip! Or am I missing something here and they are all just for a joke?
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes

I was just wondering what this had to do with the enterprise market myself.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I mean...

8 Mac Pro with gigs of memory

8 30" Cinema displays

8 copies of Final Cut Studio

8 Support contracts

3 Xserves

5 XServe RAIDS

You are on the right track but it would even be far more sales than that.

Taking CNN for example which is headquartered in Atlanta GA, but has huge newsroom bureaus in New York and Los Angeles.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    'Enterprise' puts me in mind of huge insurance companies and GM and Google and things like that (and Star Trek of course). There has to be a better collective term for broadcast media corporations.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    This is a great move. For one thing, as somebody mentioned, this technology can easily be extended into an individual user, like supplying asset management to Final Cut for a small stuio, or even Express customer. But this is already a proven commercial winner, and if it appears in a Mac interface as well, maybe everybody but NBC might adopt it. (NBC often just seems to belong to a different club. No Betacams for them, they went VHS! Then, of course, they made that commitment to M$, which they're having to make backwards compatible by running in Flash, ha-ha.)

The eventual Media Finder should be pretty awesome. Core Transcode, anyone?
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57

'Enterprise' puts me in mind of huge insurance companies and GM and Google and things like that (and Star Trek of course). There has to be a better collective term for broadcast media corporations.

Do huge insurance companies make corporate videos?

Does GM make any saftey or marketing videos?

Does Google have a video division?

I'm sure almost every Fortune 500 company has some sort of internal media group.

These large companies have big budgets and more of that will be going to Apple and not Avid.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected]

Or maybe some people just don't understand the word 'Enterprise'. I use mine for business!

This is a great push into the Enterprise world, now once they are all on Macs for their core platforms Apple should release more for the non-video enterprise world... We aren't Enterprise 'level' persay, but we do have a need for enterprise software and will be emulating a Windows Server for our windows needs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

Do huge insurance companies make corporate videos?

Does GM make any saftey or marketing videos?

Does Google have a video division?

I'm sure almost every Fortune 500 company has some sort of internal media group.

These large companies have big budgets and more of that will be going to Apple and not Avid.

Well, it could have been more specific, but it was accurate, and it was a very valid, and sound, use of the word to boot... What has to happen on Apple's part is more products offered for the OS X server for a 'typical' user, and then for the 'non-video specialty' user.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McCrab

Aperture for Video

This is the other place this technology is heading.

iPhoto is great for managing Photos but not so good for video.

More and more people are capturing video clips will their digital cameras and mobile phones.

We will probably see a consumer video library app added to iLife '08
  • Reply 19 of 35
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Folks. "Enterprise" in the computer industry has a very specific meaning. It means the huge market of computers for large mainstream businesses.

The creative departments of large media and broadcast organizations is *not* "Enterprise".

This segment is creative professionals, a market where Apple has had a long-held significant presence, and of which FCP is a key strategy.

FCP has NOTHING to do with a push for Enterprise.

The analyst quoted here is either naively or foolishly mixing the two terms, and the iLife reference is also off-base. The analysis is at best confused and at worst incompetent.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

Stoking broadcaster fears of Proximity's intellectual property being integrated into Final Cut Pro and how inferior FCP is to their solutions. And of those who are mostly Windows based the fear or doubt of being forced to switch to Mac. Broadcasters are definitely going to explore their options. Apple needs to as quickly as possible reveal what they are doing if they want to keep many of these major broadcasters as customers.

That's what I was thinking of. Apple will kill off Proximity's Windows support, won't they?