Illuminous UI

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just read this at gizmodo and i wonder if someone here knows something about that!

tank6b

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    Bullshit.

The most modern trend is to tone down everything UI. What Microsoft does is what all people without taste do: they hear what's in fasion, and then they copy that ... without any taste.

In XP, MS wanted 'color'. So they introduced the Fisher Price look.

Now everyone applauses the OSX GUI, MS wants that too. 3D, transparancy, woohoo ! ... So now they have an XBOX-game like interface. Slick, shiny, and prone for eye-fatigue after two days.

They don't get it. As always.

A GUI must be pleasant, sure, but not 'in the way' (as MS' OS always does as a whole). An interface with lotsa 3D buttons, highlights and useless distractions (transparant window borders, just for the sake of it ?) just degrades the user experience.

They confuse outdated Flashgame graphics as 'hip', unthough I'm sure a lot of Joe Sixpack's out there will like it.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    Quote:

Bullshit.

Seconded.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    It almost reads like a parody. It's that unbelievable.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    I believe that Apple will take a big step in their UI design - however, I don't buy the "why" story.

Apple isn't just gonna do it because their UI isn't good enough - they're gonna do it to say "well, our previous design is no longer good enough - we're iterating off of it and making it better"

Which, of course, will leave MS with their pants down and the Aero UI left hung out to dry.

It took them 6 years to reply to OS X's interface - so how hilarious is it that Apple's moving on right as Vista comes out?

I think they're going to take it to a refinement and detail level up to what Aperture currently presents. It might not LOOK like Aperture - but it will take cues on detail, UI context, animation and refinement.

Here's a better written article:

http://www.applegazette.com/mac/rumo...th-illuminous/
  • Reply 5 of 52
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Given how powerful CoreAnimation is, and with such a light footprint (pawprint? ) it could easily be adopted into the operating system. If Apple are trying to remain competitive with Microsoft, then it would be in their best interest to come out with a new UI.

What would be amazing is if they brought all the Core technologies to the surface in the operating system. Obviously make it functional, but also extremely innovative.

And someone please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the longest gap between OS upgrades we've had since 10.0? They've gotta be up to something clever in the labs
  • Reply 6 of 52
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Gizmodo is just being cheeky.

I don't know if the "Illuminous" name is correct (though I kinda like it, and like what it portends), but I'll bet anything Jobs will announce a refreshed UI for the big Leopard preview at MWSF with a brand new name, just as he did with Aqua in 2000, six long years ago.

If Apple's recent HW designs are any guide, it'll be more minimal than glitzy, but it *will* feature some very, very cool new stuff.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Okay I think I might be onto something.....I just thought of this so if anyone thinks I'm crazy by all means tell me but....

Look at the Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) box....look at the X....what color is it? One might say silver but I was thinking more aluminum.... brushed aluminum. What UI dominate in Tiger? Brushed aluminum!

Now, let's look at the Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) X...what color is it? Black. Not just any black but....polished black! Look at the UI in Time Machine....what color is the navigation bar down at the bottom? Polished black!

I think I'm on to something.... 8)
  • Reply 8 of 52
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Um... I think I read a rumor about Apple updating their UI in the latest build to look like iTunes or something like that on the Boards. I need to start making notes of stuff like this but it would fall in line with a new Name ya know?

I also remember reading some articles on Think Secret about Apple dropping the Brushed Metal. In all the builds they've been removing brushed metal (good news for Safari on my part because I dropped it about 5 seconds after I had Camino installed, I simply hated that Brushed Metal on first sight) in their Applications (iCal, Safari, etc.) so let's see what Illuminous has in store

Sebastian
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

Okay I think I might be onto something.....I just thought of this so if anyone thinks I'm crazy by all means tell me but....

Look at the Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) box....look at the X....what color is it? One might say silver but I was thinking more aluminum.... brushed aluminum. What UI dominate in Tiger? Brushed aluminum!

Now, let's look at the Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) X...what color is it? Black. Not just any black but....polished black! Look at the UI in Time Machine....what color is the navigation bar down at the bottom? Polished black!

I think I'm on to something.... 8)

HAHA... I'd have to say you were, because the Scroll Bar in iTunes is the same as the one in Time Machine: Polished Black.

Sebastian

EDIT: I suppose they didn't do that with Jaguar (spotted X and all) did they?
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Quote:

I think they're going to take it to a refinement and detail level up to what Aperture currently presents. It might not LOOK like Aperture - but it will take cues on detail, UI context, animation and refinement.

Probably with some 'showy' stuff like the CD viewing from iTunes.

Apple have had 6-7 years to work on the successor to 'Aqua'.

It's about time the Black Leopard illuminous Aperture cat was let out the box. Tying up those loose visual continuity issues...

I hope the finder is redone top to bottom.

I'm expecting a Vista hoe-down. Ergo: secret feature. No march to steal this time, M$.

Pants down. Dick left holding...wind and tumble weeds.

Me hopes...

Lemon Bon Bon8)
  • Reply 11 of 52
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I would imagine iTunes is some clue of the direction things are headed in.

Many people complained that it did not have aqua sliders and controls any more. The irony is that some people complained about aqua when it was first presented as being too much eye candy.

But I like the new interface feel. Aqua was a revelation for its time but now its time to move on to something new.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Quote:

The irony is that some people complained about aqua when it was first presented as being too much eye candy.

HA!

You can never have too much Eye Candy (Truth be told I rather like the Vista Aero Glass look) as long as it is not intrusive and doesn't turn into unneeded bloat.

Sebastian
  • Reply 14 of 52
    I like a polished OS, but Vista's teh Shiny® is a tad garish to me. Just because something CAN be shiny, doesn't mean it should. Or just because something can be translucent doesn't mean it should. It's like living in a house with clear plastic covers on all the furniture.

I would like Apple to have choices of themes. I know they have used their GUI design to stand out, but very soon, Aqua is going to seem stale. I don't know if I believe the Illuminous rumor, but I do look forward to some change.

Leopard excitement growing... growing...
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Quote:

I like a polished OS, but Vista's teh Shiny® is a tad garish to me. Just because something CAN be shiny, doesn't mean it should. Or just because something can be translucent doesn't mean it should. It's like living in a house with clear plastic covers on all the furniture.

The thing about Aero is that it's useful for showing stuff behind your Windows on the Desktop, and Flip3D shows much more information then Flip. It's eyecandy that is actually useful. Personally I find F11 much more useful then that though :P

As for Illuminous, personally I'm all for it. Aqua is really nice already and I'm all for Improving it

Sebastian
  • Reply 16 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

The thing about Aero is that it's useful for showing stuff behind your Windows on the Desktop...

Don't you remember OS X 10.0? Menus were ridiculously transparent and inactive window titlesbars were transparent. It was awful.

I think you're a minority here that thinks seeing things behind windows or menus is actually important.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

Don't you remember OS X 10.0? Menus were ridiculously transparent and inactive window titlesbars were transparent. It was awful.

I think you're a minority here that thinks seeing things behind windows or menus is actually important.

No I don't remember it because I just bought my Macbook Core 2 Duo, 3 weeks ago to the day.

Perhaps you know where a Screenshot is?

However, I didn't say it was important, I just don't think it would be intrusive. Eyecandy is not a bad thing, it should just be lower on the priority list.

Sebastian
  • Reply 18 of 52
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

No I don't remember it because I just bought my Macbook Core 2 Duo, 3 weeks ago to the day.

Perhaps you know where a Screenshot is?

However, I didn't say it was important, I just don't think it would be intrusive. Eyecandy is not a bad thing, it should just be lower on the priority list.

Sebastian

There is one place: The GUIdebook Gallery

But, inevitably, most transparency really offers no better understanding than just having multiple windows viewed using Exposé. In fact, it can be distracting due to overlaps and information overload. You can get it right, theoretically, but it's tricky and not worth the effort.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    wow... an entire site dedicated to GUIs.... I'm looking at OS X 10.0 and I don't see it... ?

You can argue that Dropshadows do not contribute anything, but it's still nice to look at my screen and not see everything is flat.

As for it being tricky and not worth the effort, since when does apple care about the Effort involved for the tineist things?

Sebastian
  • Reply 20 of 52
    I noticed the screenshots below the first and yeah I see it now... it just looks rough though...