Apple seen selling as many as 9 million Macs in 2007

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer could sell more than 9 million computers next year if its Mac market share continues to grow at the same rate seen during the 2006 calendar year, one Wall Street analyst says.

In one of several research reports from PiperJaffray this week, analyst Gene Munster said he expects the company's share of the PC market will continue to grow in 2007 due to improved availability of Macs, an expanding footprint of customers, and the ability to run Windows on a Mac.

Apple's Mac market share in the third quarter of 2006 was 2.8 percent and will likely be around 3.0 percent for the fourth quarter, the analyst said, up from 2.1 percent in the first quarter.

"Based on several catalysts, we believe Mac market share can grow by 1 percent again in 2007, ending the year at around 4 percent, with an average for the year of 3.5 percent.," Munster wrote in a note to clients.

With an average market share of 3.5 percent for the year, Apple would sell 9.01 million Macs during the course of the year, according to the analyst's estimates. That's significantly more than Street consensus estimates of 6.95 million Macs based on an average market share of 2.7 percent.

The additional 2.06 million Macs would add more than $2.8 billion to Apple's bottom line, Munster said, making the Street's current earnings-per-share estimates for the Cupertino, Calif.-based company some $0.35, or 11.6 percent, too low.

According to IDC, Apple's current worldwide Mac market share stands at 2.8 percent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    That is obviously a Modest Estimate

They will obviously sell 10 Million or more

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Just because they sell 9 million Macs next year doen't mean their market share will rise. Depending on how many PCs are sold..it could decline, remain the same, or rise.\
  • Reply 3 of 28
    If the iPhone can sell 12 million units we'll have a second driver of sales to 1st time Mac users. The iTV has the potential to blow things open if in fact we only got a tease. If the thing turns out to be a smart DVR capable of time shifting all your favorite programing along with with wireless .n streaming of all one's digital content lots of news users.

Don't forget that we may see a large portion of the 2 million creative pros replacing aging hardware upon the release of Adobe upgades. I've only bought 4 new Macs in the past 3 years and next year I'll buy at least 2 maybe 3.

MW

http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/1eek.gif
  • Reply 4 of 28
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Well let's put it this way.

Rosetta problems for the most part will be disappearing in 2007 with Adobe and Microsoft, the 2 largest 3rd Party Developers, making their Software Universal.

As the Footprint grows, so will the amount of "Word-of-Mouth" marketing, and the more Widespread Macs will become.

People still using Older Macs (eMacs, G3 iBooks, etc.) will likely want to upgrade this year.

If the 12" Powerbook is indeed replaced by a 12" Macbook Pro, then fans of those will madly buy them up.

I don't believe in Halo Effects

Sebastian
  • Reply 5 of 28
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Go, Apple! At 1% per year growth, we should be able to overtake the Windows hegemony by the middle of the century.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight

Just because they sell 9 million Macs next year doen't mean their market share will rise. Depending on how many PCs are sold..it could decline, remain the same, or rise.\

Apple has been growing faster than the market; therefore, their market share has increased.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    May I ask, why are you buying so many Macs. The average consumer doesn't buy computers that often.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 128pluspb100siduo230

If the iPhone can sell 12 million units we'll have a second driver of sales to 1st time Mac users. The iTV has the potential to blow things open if in fact we only got a tease. If the thing turns out to be a smart DVR capable of time shifting all your favorite programing along with with wireless .n streaming of all one's digital content lots of news users.

Don't forget that we may see a large portion of the 2 million creative pros replacing aging hardware upon the release of Adobe upgades. I've only bought 4 new Macs in the past 3 years and next year I'll buy at least 2 maybe 3.

MW

http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/1eek.gif

LOL@only 4 new Macs in the past 3 years.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Excuse me. They have not been growing faster than the PC market.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Apple has been growing faster than the market; therefore, their market share has increased.

• Reply 9 of 28
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

According to IDC, Apple's current worldwide Mac market share stands at 2.8 percent.

I sure hope that Apple's Mac market share is a bit more than 2.8%!
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:

Yes, they have, since about '04.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:

Quote:

Oh who am I to believe?!?! Both of your arguments are so convincing! Pretty soon we will all have to start paying the two of you for being Mac Analysts!
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton

Oh who am I to believe?!?! Both of your arguments are so convincing! Pretty soon we will all have to start paying the two of you for being Mac Analysts!

I'm not gonna waste my time citing market reports that are non-contradictory and readily available.

Apple market share decreased in the mid-90s and the early 2000s. It has since grown for a while.

But here's a number, if you want: Apple's laptop US retail-only market share has gone from 6% to 12% in the first half to 2006, according to NPD.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    I'm not trying to argue, but I was looking at some charts when this thread was posted.

http://www.systemshootouts.org/mac_sales.html

yeah I was actually looking at sales/marketshare graphs...slow work day.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

I'm not gonna waste my time citing market reports that are non-contradictory and readily available.

Apple market share decreased in the mid-90s and the early 2000s. It has since grown for a while.

But here's a number, if you want: Apple's laptop US retail-only market share has gone from 6% to 12% in the first half to 2006, according to NPD.

Careful about the laptop market share figures -- AFAIK that's percentage of SALES of laptops during that period. Does not mean "of all the laptops currently being used in the US".
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Careful about the laptop market share figures -- AFAIK that's percentage of SALES of laptops during that period. Does not mean "of all the laptops currently being used in the US".

Sales being precisely what market share is. Are you sure you don't mean "install base"?
  • Reply 16 of 28
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Quote:

Appleinsider:

"Apple's Mac market share in the third quarter of 2006 was 2.8 percent and will likely be around 3.0 percent for the fourth quarter, the analyst said, up from 2.1 percent in the first quarter.

This is strangely reminiscent of Thomas Edison's edict that genius only had 2% inspiration. The rest was hard work.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Before I'm going to accept any of these incredible growth numbers, Apple first needs to figure out how to satisfy demand. The back to school season and the ridiculous wait times on MacBooks and the fact that laptops more than desktop hardware has been the primary driver of Mac sales, it demonstrates Apple still has some supply issues to work out.

However, I do agree that Mac Pro sales are going to go nuts when CS3 and Office 07 are released in Universal Binaries.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

I'm not trying to argue, but I was looking at some charts when this thread was posted.

http://www.systemshootouts.org/mac_sales.html

yeah I was actually looking at sales/marketshare graphs...slow work day.

If you take a look at the charts, Apple's worldwide market share has been trending upward since 2004 after a steady deline before then.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    I just installed the PS3 beta on our iMac (2.16 GHz Intel).

PS3 launches in 4 seconds! In 8 years of using Photoshop, I have never seen it launch in less than 20-30+ seconds.

I do plan to replace my Power Mac with an Intel-based Mac in May 2007.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:

Sales being precisely what market share is. Are you sure you don't mean "install base"?

Oh frack, my bad... I thought all along when they were talking market share it was installed base. ...Actually it's just tracking SALES..... Hmmm, interesting. <borat>veerrryyy naiiiceeee, yeeessss...?</borat>