Which computers are expected to be updated at the Jan MacWorld?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm in the market for a new Mac but I think I'll wait until MacWorld to order one. Which Macs are scheduled to be updated at the Jan. MacWorld?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    Call Steve Jobs
  • Reply 2 of 46
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    The Mac mini will be updated with crown mouldings and a sassy backsplash.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolmac View Post

I'm in the market for a new Mac but I think I'll wait until MacWorld to order one. Which Macs are scheduled to be updated at the Jan. MacWorld?

I wouldn't expect any system announcements unless there is a new product line such as a 15" Macbook (non-pro), a conroe-based system, or some kind of new retail value series. This Macworld will be about Leopard, software, and consumer electronics.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I wouldn't expect any system announcements unless there is a new product line such as a 15" Macbook (non-pro), a conroe-based system, or some kind of new retail value series. This Macworld will be about Leopard, software, and consumer electronics.

I agree.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    iMac updates/upgrades are possible ... a pump in the graphic card will be great!.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    I'd like to see iTablet.

Or barring that 2 things really missing in the Mac lineup IMHO. 11" MBP and docking station for the MBPs. I have a minimum of 4 cables to hook up: power and usb/firewire/DVI from the 30" ACD. I guess I could dump firewire but I do also use a gigE connection vice wireless.

Optimally an 11" iTablet that docks into a station with 2 PCIe slots.

Vinea
  • Reply 7 of 46
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Fairly often I think in the last several years lines have gotten speed bumps in February.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

iMac updates/upgrades are possible ... a pump in the graphic card will be great!.

You won't see anything until the 965m/Santa Rosa platform arrives at the earliest and quite possibly not until the low end GeForce8 and mobile Radeon x2k series show up. To have an update, there has to be something to update it with.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    I just hope Apple doesn't drop MacBook Pro's with Blu-ray drives. I just got my Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro!
  • Reply 10 of 46
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    On a more serious and realistic note, I'm expecting Apple to update the Mini to Core 2 Duo around then.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharlesP2009 View Post

I just hope Apple doesn't drop MacBook Pro's with Blu-ray drives. I just got my Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro!

you have to pay sony fees for blue-ray so that is not likely with out a higher price.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    Apple is on the Blu-ray board or association or whatever it's called, and I DO WANT a Blu-ray Mac in the future, but I'm worried Apple will be putting them out right after I got my MacBook Pro. They did it to me when I bought the iMac G5 with iSight and BOOM! The first Intel-based Mac out the door was the iMac. Oh well. We'll see what happens January 7th...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

you have to pay sony fees for blue-ray so that is not likely with out a higher price.

• Reply 13 of 46
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Coolmac, you're wise to wait until after MWSF but I'm not really expecting any Mac upgrades there. Minor Mac upgrades usually come in the way of an Apple Store update and press release. It would sure be nice to see a new smaller MacBookPro and a mid-range headless Mac but I'll be floored if we see either at MWSF.

As others have said, I think this Macworld will be about software; Leopard, iLife, iWork, and consumer electronics; iTV, iPod, iPhone, but not all of the above.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    MWSF is the only MacWorld left. Its not going to be without hardware. It is not confined to anything anyone decides to designate it as. Just because it has seen consumer announcements in the past few years does not mean it's confined to just being a consumer show. Apple will do what they want, and MacWorld SF has seen every product have an update, and even seen new product introductions in the past. Apple is going to announce some big hardware here in one form or another weather it be a iMac, MacBook, or even a PowerMac (Mac Pro my bad) iTV wont be the only thing they show off. They will make it worth while for the MacWorld crowd. I'm sure they have plenty of things they can announce that will make a big splash.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

You won't see anything until the 965m/Santa Rosa platform arrives at the earliest and quite possibly not until the low end GeForce8 and mobile Radeon x2k series show up. To have an update, there has to be something to update it with.

Correct. Santa Rosa is like early Q2, and the new cards will be arriving at CES or in Feb.

But we could see a move to Meroms in the Mac Mini, making the line-up 100% dual-core 64-bit.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

MWSF is the only MacWorld left. Its not going to be without hardware. It is not confined to anything anyone decides to designate it as. Just because it has seen consumer announcements in the past few years does not mean it's confined to just being a consumer show. Apple will do what they want, and MacWorld SF has seen every product have an update, and even seen new product introductions in the past. Apple is going to announce some big hardware here in one form or another weather it be a iMac, MacBook, or even a PowerMac (Mac Pro my bad) iTV wont be the only thing they show off. They will make it worth while for the MacWorld crowd. I'm sure they have plenty of things they can announce that will make a big splash.

I'm not basing my prediction above on past Macworld Expos. The fact is, every Mac has already been updated recently. Short of minor speed bumps, there's nothing more to do to them for a while. Mac speed bumps don't get much press, so I suspect if Apple wants to make a splash at the coming Macworld, it will have something to do with iTV, iPod or iPhone. Not that Leopard is anything to sneeze at.

What would excite me is some brand new Mac hardware but I'm not expecting it. I certainly think Apple should and will make a smaller MacBookPro eventually and they should make a better desktop Mac other than the iMac with its built-in display.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

I'm not basing my prediction above on past Macworld Expos. The fact is, every Mac has already been updated recently. Short of minor speed bumps, there's nothing more to do to them for a while. Mac speed bumps don't get much press, so I suspect if Apple wants to make a splash at the coming Macworld, it will have something to do with iTV, iPod or iPhone. Not that Leopard is anything to sneeze at.

What would excite me is some brand new Mac hardware but I'm not expecting it. I certainly think Apple should and will make a smaller MacBookPro eventually and they should make a better desktop Mac other than the iMac with its built-in display.

Power... Mac Pro has not seen an update and it is ready for one.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

Not true. There's probably a licensing fee payed to the BDA by the makers of the drives, in a similar matter to the fees payed to the DVD forum/DVD FLLC for DVD and HD-DVD drives, but that is not exactly a huge piece of the price.

Blu-ray is not Sony's format, and Apple is on the BDA Board of Directors.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Considering the Mac Mini only had a small update in the last few months when it dropped Core Solo, I expect Apple is working on a larger update for it. Maybe a tiny bit smaller eh?

Seriously though, Apple could have something planned for the Mini, and it most certainly will not be a fusion with the iTV like some may think.

Sebastian
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Considering the Mac Mini only had a small update in the last few months when it dropped Core Solo, I expect Apple is working on a larger update for it. Maybe a tiny bit smaller eh?

Seriously though, Apple could have something planned for the Mini, and it most certainly will not be a fusion with the iTV like some may think.

Sebastian

I hate to spoil your fantasy, but If Apple just updated the Mini it's not going to be updated again.