Which computers are expected to be updated at the Jan MacWorld?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

The Mac mini will be updated with crown mouldings and a sassy backsplash.

And they will now include FOR FREE the exclusive Mighty Mouse lace doily mousepad.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I hate to spoil your fantasy, but If Apple just updated the Mini it's not going to be updated again.

It wasn't much of an update, if you can even call it that. So yeah, I can still see an update, it will most likely just be a Core 2 Duo dropped in though.

Sebastian
  • Reply 23 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    At Macworld, no computers will be announced.

iTV,

Leopard,

iPhone,

Cinema Displays,

Possibly new design with iPod docks too.

Enough for two keynotes.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

At Macworld, no computers will be announced.

iTV,

Leopard,

iPhone,

Cinema Displays,

Possibly new design with iPod docks too.

Enough for two keynotes.

Leopard will be discussed but not announced. Too early.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

You know what i meant, point being there wont be time for computers.

Mac Mini Core2 wont be worth talking about, as there will be more important matters for Apple at hand.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Quote:

You know what i meant, point being there wont be time for computers.

Mac Mini Core2 wont be worth talking about, as there will be more important matters for Apple at hand.

I disagree, don't forget this is MACworld, I would be shocked if new or updated hardware was not featured.

My prediction of the most likely update: Mac Mini to C2D and possibly other enhancements such as increased memory, better graphics processors and larger hard drives.

Also very likely is the introduction of iTV and the shipping date. Remember though this was shown by Jobs to be a standalone box, I see no indication that this will be some sort of Mac Mini hybrid.

Less likely though I am praying is a mid level Mac without a built in display. Kind of like a Mac Pro without the Pro. :-) They could simply call it Macintosh and I think that it would fit in the lineup perfectly. I'm probably dreaming but we will find out on January 9th. The money is burning a hole in my pocket waiting for that keynote.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

It wasn't much of an update, if you can even call it that. So yeah, I can still see an update, it will most likely just be a Core 2 Duo dropped in though.

Sebastian

Not much of an update is still an update. A speed bump, or any change historically signifies an update by Apple. You'll see such an update when they do not intend on updating a product again for a while.

There is always a first time, but I would not count on it. Sounds more like fantasy.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    I'd like to see a small price drop in Mac Pro components (maybe RAM and HDD prices?). I don't expect anything much though.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Leopard availbility will be cool. Some secret new features will be extra cool.

Steve Says: "Hey! redmond guys we are miles away from you, you can copy cat with vist* SP1."
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by docprego View Post

I disagree, don't forget this is MACworld, I would be shocked if new or updated hardware was not featured.

And the last thing Apple wants to do is shock you.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:

And the last thing Apple wants to do is shock you.

Apple is a much bigger company than they were four, three, even a year ago and with the effort they have made in expanding their facilities and important parts of their workforce, I am starting to expect something from them at these bigger shows that will rock our worlds they way they did like 7 - 11 years ago, rather than the let downs that have been seen from 2 years ago and further out. The addition of intel will definately be helping them in this area, as well as the new developers they have aquired.

The last time you saw jobs cut at Apple.

Quote:

Friday, July 6, 2001

Microsoft cuts Jobs, Apple CEO in critical condition

SAN JOSE, California - Apple CEO Steve Jobs was attacked early Thursday morning by Yoshiro Hirimoto, an Associate Product Manager for Microsoft. Mr. Jobs suffered severe lacerations and according to UC Davis Medical Center is still in critical condition. The attack is being called a grave misunderstanding.

Doing the honorable thing

Hirimoto apparently took an 11 am meeting with Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates. In the meeting Mr. Gates discussed how to better streamline Microsoft's Japanese operations to compete with the enormous popularity of the Macintosh in Japan. He offhandedly remarked, "…maybe it's time that we cut jobs."

After bowing several dozen times, Hirimoto immediately booked passage from Seattle to San Jose, California. Mr. Jobs, while looking for the morning paper in the flowerbeds, was attacked with shurikens and a katana by what he described as a "Ninja-like" assailant, wrapped in black clothe and brandishing smoke bombs. Hirimoto surprised Jobs by leaping over a large topiary giraffe with the aid of cables that were later edited out with computers.

Hirimoto has worked for a variety of electronic gaming companies and is actually well respected in the industry for designing such games as Shinobi, Samurai Showdown, Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Karate Champ.

When asked about the incident by the Wired Press, the actor Pat Morita, of Karate Kid fame, was quoted as saying, "What the hell does this have to do with me?"

The attack was thwarted when the time allotted for the stage ran out and Hiromoto had to start over again. Confronted with the shame of facing Bill Gates after failing to dispose of Apple's Shogun, Hirimoto committed Seppuku with his own blade and was pronounced dead upon arrival at a local hospital.

http://thewiredpress.com/archives/te...cuts_jobs.html
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

I'd like to see a small price drop in Mac Pro components (maybe RAM and HDD prices?). I don't expect anything much though.

The Mac Pro is actually very inexpensive for its class. The problem comes when comparing it to consumer desktops from the PC side.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Quote:

Apple is a much bigger company than they were four, three, even a year ago and with the effort they have made in expanding their facilities and important parts of their workforce, I am starting to expect something from them at these bigger shows that will rock our worlds they way they did like 7 - 11 years ago, rather than the let downs that have been seen from 2 years ago and further out. The addition of intel will definately be helping them in this area, as well as the new developers they have aquired.

The last time you saw jobs cut at Apple.

Never saw that... thanks for the morning pick-me-up.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Quote:

MWSF is the only MacWorld left. Its not going to be without hardware. It is not confined to anything anyone decides to designate it as. Just because it has seen consumer announcements in the past few years does not mean it's confined to just being a consumer show. Apple will do what they want, and MacWorld SF has seen every product have an update, and even seen new product introductions in the past. Apple is going to announce some big hardware here in one form or another weather it be a iMac, MacBook, or even a PowerMac (Mac Pro my bad) iTV wont be the only thing they show off. They will make it worth while for the MacWorld crowd. I'm sure they have plenty of things they can announce that will make a big splash.

Seems more in line of wishful thinking to me. But we can always hope, can't we!
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

The Mac mini will be updated with crown mouldings and a sassy backsplash.

Dammit, Apple! I was really hoping for a new vent-hood. You suck!
  • Reply 36 of 46
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris v View Post

Dammit, Apple! I was really hoping for a new vent-hood. You suck!

Spangles and FlowerPower please....
  • Reply 37 of 46
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    Good ol' speculation. We only have to wait 8 days people....it's not that bad.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aryayush View Post

Seems more in line of wishful thinking to me. But we can always hope, can't we!

My meaning is that you can not rule anything out because Apple has a tendency to surprise every few years. A few years ago MWSF, and MWNY were all about hardware,, then they switched it up on us. Just likely did years before. Some of the users in this forum have been with the Mac since 1984. Some have had Apple products since before that. There are others that just remember the past 4 years. In scope of history you just can't rule out sudden hardware announcements. I'm not saying expect it, but I wouldn't be surprised either.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    I see maybe a unveiling of the octocore macpro as a BTO option in the Apple Store.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

I see maybe a unveiling of the octocore macpro as a BTO option in the Apple Store.

Exactly.