Mac OS X 10.4.9 to deliver synching improvements

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Published thursday evening as part of the friday morning edition

For the first time in over three months, Apple Computer is asking its developer community to begin testing and providing feedback on a forthcoming update to its Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system.

People familiar with the matter say the Cupertino, Calif.-based company on thursday evening began distributing the first external software compile of Mac OS X 10.4.9 to members of its Apple Developer Connection.

Those people say the maintenance and security release was made available in two distinct distributions -- a bare-bones "Delta" updater and a more inclusive "Combo" version.

Apple reportedly asked developers to focus their testing efforts on system components such as .Mac connectivity, Bluetooth, Bonjour, FireWire, Graphics and USB.

Other areas of testing singled out by the Mac maker included Adobe Flash, Automator, Dashboard Widgets, Fonts, iChat video conferencing and iSync.

Already, the build distributed to developers includes over a dozen fixes to problems that have turned up in previous versions of the Tiger operating system, people familiar with the software say.

Some of the bugs Tiger users can expect solutions for in the upcoming release pertained to Rosetta, USB Modem and caller ID, the Universal Access preferences pane, Bluetooth and device pairing, QC Engine, and CoreGraphics and HID Manager.

Mac OS X 10.4.9 is also said to focus heavily on enhancements to various synching technologies, bundling fixes for Mac and syncing, Sync Services Engine, Sync Services and .Mac Sync, and rsync and extended attributes.

Apple last updated Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger in late September when it released Mac OS X 10.4.8.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    I would hope 4.9 is last, and that Apple can do math (i.e. no 4.10).

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 2 of 32
    it's not a decimal system
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

I would hope 4.9 is last, and that Apple can do math (i.e. no 4.10).

-=|Mgkwho

• Reply 4 of 32
    In development terms, it isn't uncommon to see something like 4.10 to follow after 4.9. It may not be mathematically correct, but isn't uncommon.

Maybe the sudden focus on bluetooth linking has something to do with the iPhone (Yes, I know the name's taken, but I'd either be calling it that or the New Newton.... the NEWton!)
  • Reply 5 of 32
    FOR THE LAST TIME, SOFTWARE VERSIONS ARE NOT BASED ON THE DECIMAL SYSTEM. Hence you can have "SomeApp 11", for example. Or 1.15.

Moving along, they better improve iSync's range of phones. It's very limited at the moment, and most of the phones supported are old and outdated.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post

FOR THE LAST TIME, SOFTWARE VERSIONS ARE NOT BASED ON THE DECIMAL SYSTEM.

Despite your efforts, surely you accept that this same conversation will occur when 10.5.9 is reached.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    I hope they add A2DP and AVRCP.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Traditionally the .9 patch comes right at/around/after the next major point upgrade to the operating system. It being a finish-things-up patch to get as many of the known bugs taken care of as possible and to groom it to play nice with the next OS. If they're putting it into testers' hands now I expect that Steve's claim of Spring of '07 to lean heavily on the early side of that quarter for a Leopard release.

Can't wait! ^_^
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Just because software versions aren't normal doesn't mean I can't hope they will be.

Calm down, geez. You take using a computer waaaaaay too seriously.

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 10 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

Just because software versions aren't normal doesn't mean I can hope they will be.

Calm down, geez. You take using a computer waaaaaay too seriously.

-=|Mgkwho

Well, he IS responding to your comment after all. If you didn't make it, he wouldn't have made one to correct you either.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    I hope they make my Motorola Bluetooth H300 work with my MBP. Every time I quit the app that is using the H300 I have to totally remove it and reinstall it in the System Preferences.

It's annoying because clearly the device is CAPABLE of working with the MBP, it just ISN'T.

Anyone else using a Bluetooth headset with a MBP?
  • Reply 12 of 32
    I've had Bluetooth issues with this headset as well... it would be really nice to have them resolved.

I'm hoping however that there's increased performance, reliability and connectivity for Airport, specifically for the Core Duo / C2D Macs. Lots of issues have been reported, and Apple's update for the C2D machines did not relieve all the issues, which are severe in some cases.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    I hope they will finally update iSync to be able to sync with the newest Symbian phones. I have the SE M600i - and can only get a hold of it via Bluetooth for file transfers.

Then again - I hope the 'iPhone' comes out before they get the sync to work .... lol

Merry Christmas all
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelworks View Post

I hope they will finally update iSync to be able to sync with the newest Symbian phones. I have the SE M600i - and can only get a hold of it via Bluetooth for file transfers.

I'll accuse them of anticompetitive behaviour if they don't, and release an iPhone.

That's the one thing holding me off from buying an M600i.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    On the subject of Bluetooth. I had a Motorola HS820 that I first tried using with Windows XP (which is basically impossible because the bluetooth stack has no profile for headsets and finding a working replacement stack is almost impossible).

When I bought my MBP I was extremely pleased with how simple it was to use as a headset with OS X. However, be VERY careful with this. Messing with the audio settings in programs and the OS settings to play through the headset may permanently damage your OS sound capabilities (reinstalling was the ONLY way to fix it). Setting Quicktime to play through it messed up my audio settings so that even after deleting the device, no sound would play through any other device with anything using quicktime.

2 hours on the phone with Apple did nothing to resolve the error (throwing away preferences and such). Finally, they recommended an archived reinstall--but even THAT didn't fix the problem (strange, since it only keeps your personal files). When I wiped the system clean and reinstalled, the problem was magically fixed.

To be fair, this was with either 10.4.6 or 10.4.7, I haven't tried it with 10.4.8 yet.

Word to the wise: don't play with bluetooth headsets in OS X just for fun, it can really screw things up.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Maybe they'll add drivers for Nintendo's Wiimote as a HID device.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelworks View Post

Then again - I hope the 'iPhone' comes out before they get the sync to work .... lol

Merry Christmas all

hi, please, did you test M600i as a modem for mac os x? is it working? GPRS and 3G withouth problems?
  • Reply 18 of 32
    I hope 4.9 offers a fix for the rounding problem being experienced by the intel macs. We transitioned over to the new intels earlier this fall - and with 4.8 began experiencing the so-called rounding problem with our accounting program. The software we use has provided a fix, but only if you upgrade to their newer server version - other than that, little incentive for us (not many changes and pretty expensive upgrade).

It's really annoying - say you have a invoice for 203.51, and pay it (in our accounting module), I enter 203.51 but the software thinks its more - just not displaying, so the invoice remains open, always a couple cents.

Damn its annoying.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I'll accuse them of anticompetitive behaviour if they don't, and release an iPhone.

That's the one thing holding me off from buying an M600i.

So, is everyone going to release an iPhone now, EXCEPT Apple?
  • Reply 20 of 32
    At least companies are FINALLY starting to come out with Bluetooth 2.0 +EDR + A2DP + AVRCP (AKA Bluetooth v2.4) headsets. Nothing IS more frustrating than buying every single bluetooth headset on the market to listen to music or to voice chat on the net, only to realize EVERYTHING is just static. Bluetooth 1.0 is HORRIBLE for anything audio. I literally bought about 15 different bluetooth headsets, some for music, and some for phones, and some for chating.

I finally bought a bluetooth 2.0 +EDR headset and finally the audio comes through crisp and clear like i was jacked directly into my mac. I'm pretty sure 10.4.9 Supports both of these profiles.. ;-) but i wouldn't have any idea ;-)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TranceMist View Post

I hope they add A2DP and AVRCP.