New Sony Cyber-shot S-series digital cams revealed

Comments

• Reply 81 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Why is it that most Americans believe America = the world?

While American "superiority complex" may contribute to Canon's excellent sales Stateside, the implication that Canon has "by far" more sales than Nikon or Sony is laughable, when you consider the global context.

Don't get me wrong. Canon makes awesome cameras, though sometimes they produce ridiculous crap like the new Powershot G7 (when compared to the history of the "G" series), and Canon pro lenses are excellent (while most would say Nikon and Sonolta have better consumer SLR lens offerings), but outside of the US, more pros go Nikon. And I wouldn't be at allo surprised if Sony sells more consumer cameras worldwide than any other maker.

But actually, the truth is, if you are new to DSLR and haven't already invested in lenses, you pretty much can't go wrong, whether you buy Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax or even Olympus. They all make great entry-level gear that is 98% comparable.

However, Sony and Pentax have AS built-in to the bodies, and Canon an Nikon IS lenses are too expensive for novices, so if it's your first DSLR and you don't have a mint to spend, I'd suggest Sony or Pentax. If you have an established lens collection, stick with what you have. For someone new to the field who wants pro gear and has the money to spend on it, Nikon and Canon are equally as great. When Sony releases their coming pro body, believe me they'll be up there, too.

Ok then, I will modify my post.

Canon has the most "worldwide" digital camera sales of all manufacturers.

Better?
  • Reply 82 of 106
    The title of this news was not misleading, it was good news for Sony (Canon lover here though), I love to hear about new electronics being released but this news just doesn't fit in with the front page. Note that every news article you see on the front page (besides this Sony news) strongly discusses Apple news and also the home page header says "AppleInsider | Apple Insider News and Rumors".

OK this news does mention MWSF '07 but what does the following have to do with Sony? :

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas runs Jan. 8 - 11, coinciding with Macworld Expo 2007 in San Francisco which runs Jan. 8 - 12. Sony, however, is not listed amongst the exhibitors for the Apple conference.

• Reply 83 of 106
    This thread has so powned Appleinsider.
  • Reply 84 of 106
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riddick View Post

Your post hasn't.
  • Reply 85 of 106
    Quote:

Your post hasn't

Guess you're pretty fond of the camera news then...
  • Reply 86 of 106
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    Quote:

Guess you're pretty fond of the camera news then...

On an Apple news website no less...
  • Reply 87 of 106
    Quote:

Are you like...three?

"Powned"? This site is turning into Engadget...but please don't bring this place down to the level of Digg.
  • Reply 88 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

On an Apple news website no less...

So then, no news that might be of interest to the Mac camera using majority is of use?
  • Reply 89 of 106
    mac voyer said it best. appleinsider is losing credibility with a rediculous, off topic article like this. this article needs to be pulled.
  • Reply 90 of 106
    I've been on the fence between Mac Rumors and Apple Insider. Usually they duplicate each other, so I was trying to decide why I worry about both of them. Thanks to this breaking insider news about a -Sony- camera, I think I've finally made my decision - time to quit reading Apple Insider.

It's funny to see on forums that there's always people defending these types of posts (like melgross - where do you draw the line, dude? I can think of a thousand things that might interesta Mac user, but they sure don't belong here).

Anyway, I registered JUST to post this blabber (ironic it takes like 2 days to register....). As my ID says, goodbye, AI, one less feed to monitor. I hope the ad payment was worth the subscriber drop.

Now off to the cancellation button.
  • Reply 91 of 106
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

So then, no news that might be of interest to the Mac camera using majority is of use?

Its fine to post random news to Apple users just because most of them use cameras. Its also fine for me to post my avocados on sale news flash since a good number of apple users actually eat food.

Hopefully you can see that this is a ridiculous line of reasoning...
  • Reply 92 of 106
    This should be on the front page as well if an article about a dime a dozen sony camera that has nothing to do with apple can make it....

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/ibuzztwo/
  • Reply 93 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iggypopped View Post

mac voyer said it best. appleinsider is losing credibility with a rediculous, off topic article like this. this article needs to be pulled.

Credibility has nothing to do with this article, or others like it.

Credibility has to do with reporting on two headed children born to women impregnated by space aliens.

You might not like some of these topics, but they have nothing to do with credibility.
  • Reply 94 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goodbye_AI View Post

I've been on the fence between Mac Rumors and Apple Insider. Usually they duplicate each other, so I was trying to decide why I worry about both of them. Thanks to this breaking insider news about a -Sony- camera, I think I've finally made my decision - time to quit reading Apple Insider.

It's funny to see on forums that there's always people defending these types of posts (like melgross - where do you draw the line, dude? I can think of a thousand things that might interesta Mac user, but they sure don't belong here).

Anyway, I registered JUST to post this blabber (ironic it takes like 2 days to register....). As my ID says, goodbye, AI, one less feed to monitor. I hope the ad payment was worth the subscriber drop.

Now off to the cancellation button.

Well, dude, I draw the line at topics that would have no interest among the members. While some members aren't happy with this, others are.

It doesn't even have to be a majority.

I don't read all the articles that YOU might consider to be relevant because they don't interest me. But I don't complain about them either.

I stopped reading Mac Rumors a while ago, even though I am a member, because I have found their site to be derivative and boring. Almost totally irrelevant. They never almost post anything new, or original, almost everything they post is old news from somewhere else.

The reader base isn't much better in their commenting.

Feh!
  • Reply 95 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

Its fine to post random news to Apple users just because most of them use cameras. Its also fine for me to post my avocados on sale news flash since a good number of apple users actually eat food.

Hopefully you can see that this is a ridiculous line of reasoning...

I do agree that your reasoning is ridiculous.

The next time you plug your avocado into your computer, report back. It should be interesting.
  • Reply 96 of 106
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I do agree that your reasoning is ridiculous.

The next time you plug your avocado into your computer, report back. It should be interesting.

Cameras that are supported by the Mac are multitude, so what is so special about this one? This site mainly has stories about Apple products, Apple-collaborated products, and only occasionally about products that compete with Apple's products. Something that has a strong chance of being compatible with Apple products doesn't fit that pattern.
  • Reply 97 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Cameras that are supported by the Mac are multitude, so what is so special about this one? This site mainly has stories about Apple products, Apple-collaborated products, and only occasionally about products that compete with Apple's products. Something that has a strong chance of being compatible with Apple products doesn't fit that pattern.

They thought it was of interest. I don't know how they picked these particular models, though I think they commented on that earlier.

We did have discussion about that here though. That does show some interest.

What I would like to see here is some specialty areas where they can post articles that aren't directly involving Apple, such as digital photography, printing, video, games, etc.

There is no reason why all articles must be directly related to Apple.

If one wants that, there are other sites that also post the news. I go to them as well, but always end up here.

The most interesting sites are ones that have more wideranging discussions.

How do some cameras work with iPhoto, Aperture, PS, etc? Shouldn't that be discussed? If models are popular, or new? We have had some very good camera discussions over time.

If people want to get their rocks on, they should go to MOSR.

That will teach them!
  • Reply 98 of 106
    Quote:

I have found their site to be derivative and boring. Almost totally irrelevant. They never almost post anything new, or original, almost everything they post is old news from somewhere else.

Feh!

From what I've seen in the past few years, the exact same can be said for AI. But up until now, I've never seen such a blatant recycling of a press release.

• Reply 99 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

From what I've seen in the past few years, the exact same can be said for AI. But up until now, I've never seen such a blatant recycling of a press release.

You can have your opinion. I have mine.

No one is forcing to to come here.
  • Reply 100 of 106
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Bunch o' kids.