Apple retail commitment, head-count surge over 55 percent

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatcatdj View Post

ok, I 'm just a stupid Mac-using network tv editor (w/ 2 emmys, hehehe) SO

I dont know much about big finance, but if I ran the Company, I'd continue with the

Apple Product line in all Best Buys, CompUSA and move them into Wal-Marts, Circuit Citys,

too. Retail space is sooooo expensive and I nver saw an Apple Store in the ghetto or crappy

parts of town.

Apple has tried, and continues to try to sell its machines in the big box stores. Now, maybe they will be more successful.

I hope Apple never places stores in ghetto's.

It's not prejudice. But one reason why GTW's stores failed was because they placed them wherever they could find an empty storefront.

Apple's products, except for some iPods, are higher end products. Stores are placed where the customers who can afford the products inside, are found.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gmac View Post

Read the article!

There's already stores in London, Scotland is coming and so is Paris.

Wooo.. Britain and France. Do you know how many countries there are in the European Union?

Hint: It's more than 15.

"Around 500 million people live within the EU and it has an estimated GDP of 13.4 trillion USD"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union

edit: see post above for VISUAL version...
  • Reply 23 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Wooo.. Britain and France. Do you know how many countries there are in the European Union?

Hint: It's more than 15.

"Around 500 million people live within the EU and it has an estimated GDP of 13.4 trillion USD"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union

edit: see post above for VISUAL version...

• Reply 24 of 66
    In any case, here's the European countries that matter.

• Reply 25 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Don't worry, I left Ireland intact in the picture above
  • Reply 26 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Don't worry, I left Ireland intact in the picture above

Thank you, cause Ireland is precious, the country, not sure about the people.

You crossed out Vatican City.. but the Pope loves his MacBook!
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Well Ireland, if you wouldn't scream at us and post obnoxiously huge graphics, you might get a little more sympathy.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave View Post

Well Ireland, if you wouldn't scream at us and post obnoxiously huge graphics, you might get a little more sympathy.

It's not sympathy we need over here, it's Apple stores! It's high time Apple got of their asses and address Europe properly. The current situation is simply unacceptable. And I wasn't screaming, I was typing.

They have 147 stores in the US, but zero is practically every country in Europe, it's beyond a joke, Apple is ignoring a retail business nearly as big as its current one.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    I was a part timer on the opening crew of one of the first Apple Stores, Fashion Island, Newport Beach in the O.C. I was always proud to work there. I visited the store just the other day for the first time in a while and noticed that some parts of it were looking a bit worse for wear. Some of the outside black metal cladding was looking a bit aged, with parts showing that patching and repainting had been done, perhaps to repair graffiti. The restroom looked particularly bad. The sink had been pulled away from the wall a bit, and the gap was filled with dirty looking putty. Trash was overflowing, and it generally just didn't look as though it met Apple's high standards. Seemed more like an above average late model gas station. I only hope that Apple will devote some of the cash it's allocating to new stores to keep the established ones from going to seed.

Robin Huber

Yorba Linda, CA
  • Reply 30 of 66
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Oops wrong thread
  • Reply 31 of 66
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Quote:

What about Europe?

Seems that some European countries (France and one of the Scandinavian countries?) are always suing them on behalf of consumers for one thing and another--music rights, etc.. I too want to see a greater presence in Europe, but I can see why Apple might be a little gun shy.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Quote:

It's not sympathy we need over here, it's Apple stores! It's high time Apple got of their asses and address Europe properly. The current situation is simply unacceptable. And I wasn't screaming, I was typing.

They have 147 stores in the US, but zero is practically every country in Europe, it's beyond a joke, Apple is ignoring a retail business nearly as big as its current one.

Well if all caps is considered yelling online, then I think posting huge text can be thought of screaming.

As far as the issue you are actually concerned about, Apple has been great since the return of Jobs at long term plans slowly rolled out. Look at the underlying structure of OS X to see what I mean. First Core Audio, then Core Video, etc. Apple will evnetually open more stores in other countries, but only when it is economically viable and part of a slow growth plan.

Besides, there's this thing called the internet where you can order Apple products online, and have shipped right to your door. Its amazing, and world wide.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave View Post

Besides, there's this thing called the internet where you can order Apple products online, and have shipped right to your door. Its amazing, and world wide.

It's worth getting upset with these comments..
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Seems that some European countries (France and one of the Scandinavian countries?) are always suing them on behalf of consumers for one thing and another--music rights, etc.. I too want to see a greater presence in Europe, but I can see why Apple might be a little gun shy.

That's no excuse, there was well over 100 stores in the US, before those cases came about.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I imagine they locate their stores according to whatever their demographics tell them is the right location. The typical Apple customer, according to where the stores are located, are middle-to-upper class and they like The Gap.

yah, thats what the man wants to do....we gotta get mini-apple stores in the hood like at Magic Johnson Shopping Center where ipods and Macs can be discovered by black folks too, damn economic racists.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    Quote:

It's worth getting upset with these comments..

How so? I'm simply pointing out that you do have options. Besides, if you are going to place huge text whining about why Apple hasn't built in your home town, expect to get some feedback. Hell I live in Austin where Apple has its second biggest campus, and we didn't get a store until a few years into the program, and its not even a full store. Doesn't have a theater, its a half store.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gmac View Post

Read the article!

There's already stores in London, Scotland is coming and so is Paris.

what about AFRICA? whats the ratio of white males using Macs to Black men and women? Free Huey!
  • Reply 38 of 66
    i think that the OS and the machines need to take major steps towards multi-language support beyond what it has....

it needs to offer more keyboard options beyond US and Spanish..... French, Portuguese and Cyrillic keyboards should be offered.

Dictionary widget and dictionary support in the OS should be greater... at the moment it's only an English dictionary. there should be a French, Spanish, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese and Japanese dictionary.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatcatdj View Post

what about AFRICA? whats the ratio of white males using Macs to Black men and women? Free Huey!

Heh, about 0.3:1, if you believe Apple's marketing.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Other than possibly some of the big-name cities like Paris and Rome where Apple is looking to make a "fashion" statement for its brand, I don't think Apple will be opening any Apple Stores in Europe or Asia outside of the UK and Japan.

In the continents of Europe, Asia, South America and Australia, Apple has been "assisting" in the conversion of many reseller stores (many formerly known as Apple Centers or Centres) into stores that look and feel like an Apple Store (i.e. materials, lighting, furniture), but are not owned or operated by Apple. That seems to be both the near and long-term diirection. Apple seems to have decided to let local firms deal with the local environments in these other countries, and with the impact of these unique environments on retailing needs.