Briefly: Quanta to build 4.5 million MacBooks for Apple

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Quanta Computer will deliver as many as 4.5 million MacBook computers to Apple Computer during the course of the 2007 calendar year, the Chinese-language Apple Daily reported on Friday.

The Taiwanese notebook manufacturer, along with Foxconn, had been responsible for churning out 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro models.

It will now join Asustek in production of Apple's more popular 13-inch MacBooks, as well, the paper said.

Quanta is reported to have declined comment on the report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Is that in addition to the MBP's that they are producing, or are they switching production to the MacBook?
  • Reply 2 of 39
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Where are all the Apple is doomed articles?
  • Reply 3 of 39
    does anyone know how many macbooks are slated to be produced then?

is it me, or is 4.5 million a lot? I'd think that 4.5 million macbooks is enough to start pushing software developers toward mac software.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freakboy View Post

does anyone know how many macbooks are slated to be produced then?

is it me, or is 4.5 million a lot? I'd think that 4.5 million macbooks is enough to start pushing software developers toward mac software.

Spread over the entire year, that's about how many notebooks Apple currently sells, the current estimate is 1.1 million a quarter. Some of those are the pro units, but it's probably safe to say that the Mac Book has the dominant share. In short, this offers very significant room for growth, assuming Apple doesn't reduce the number of notebooks it asks Foxconn to make.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    I smell a 12" MacBook Pro in the near future

I could only dream.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    1.1 million Macbooks per quarter, here we come.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

1.1 million Macbooks per quarter, here we come.

Yeah but that's only one of the manufacturers. If you ask me I couldn't care about this news.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Does anyone know of a site--or better yet a chart--that predicts the marketshare of Apple over upcoming quarters?
  • Reply 9 of 39
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    So does that mean 4.5 Million from Quanta, ~3 Million from Asus and ~ 2 Million from Foxconn??

That looks like 10 Million Mac notebook capacity they have. ( Someone correct me if i am wrong )

Considering they only sold 8 million Mac ( Notebook + Desktop ) this looks like a very high figure.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

So does that mean 4.5 Million from Quanta, ~3 Million from Asus and ~ 2 Million from Foxconn??

That looks like 10 Million Mac notebook capacity they have. ( Someone correct me if i am wrong )

Considering they only sold 8 million Mac ( Notebook + Desktop ) this looks like a very high figure.

I don't know where you got your number for total models sold. Apple sold 5.3 million units last year.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Quanta Computer will deliver as many as 4.5 million MacBook computers to Apple Computer during the course of the 2007 calendar year, the Chinese-language Apple Daily reported on Friday.

The Taiwanese notebook manufacturer, along with Foxconn, had been responsible for churning out 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro models.

It will now join Asustek in production of Apple's more popular 13-inch MacBooks, as well, the paper said.

Quanta is reported to have declined comment on the report.

People, people, calm down!

First and foremost, read that first sentence again. "...will deliver as many as 4.5 million...". In case you didn't know, that means they will, in theory, deliver anywhere from 0 to 4.5 million laptops.

Second, I believe that this is a total production number of MacBooks and MacBook pros (only insane apple people would say "They didn't say MacBook pro, just MacBook, so its just the consumer model"

Of course, Asutek may have lost their contract as well...
  • Reply 12 of 39
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    I'll buy at least one of them. So there's an accurate figure for you.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

I'll buy at least one of them. So there's an accurate figure for you.

This just in....

"Quanta Computer will now deliver 4,500,001 MacBook computers to Apple Computer during the course of the 2007 calendar year now that they have confirmation that willrob, over at Apple Insider, will be purchasing one."
  • Reply 14 of 39
    macheimachei Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This just in....

"Quanta Computer will now deliver 4,500,001 MacBook computers to Apple Computer during the course of the 2007 calendar year now that they have confirmation that willrob, over at Apple Insider, will be purchasing one."

Well, you can add me to that, so bump it to 4,500,002. I'm just waiting to hear what transpires at Macworld next week so I'm not caught with my shorts down and then it's off to buy my very first Mac - the 15" MBP C2D. Can hardly wait!
  • Reply 15 of 39
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by machei View Post

Well, you can add me to that, so bump it to 4,500,002. I'm just waiting to hear what transpires at Macworld next week so I'm not caught with my shorts down and then it's off to buy my very first Mac - the 15" MBP C2D. Can hardly wait!

Hey, good call! Because, let me tell you from personal experience, those Apple Store people really act all annoyed and holier-than-thou if you walk in with your shorts down. I mean, is that really a reason to call mall security? And the "microsoft" jokes were just uncalled for.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Hey, good call! Because, let me tell you from personal experience, those Apple Store people really act all annoyed and holier-than-thou if you walk in with your shorts down. I mean, is that really a reason to call mall security? And the "microsoft" jokes were just uncalled for.

Yeah, I was in there just this week...loads of people buying macs with thier shorts down. They didn't even seem to realize it. I expect that realization will dawn after Tuesday. 8)
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by machei View Post

Yeah, I was in there just this week...loads of people buying macs with thier shorts down. They didn't even seem to realize it. I expect that realization will dawn after Tuesday. 8)

For someone who has never owned a Mac you certainly know when you should hold off on buying a Mac. How is it you came to be on these boards and know their release cycle without yet joining the "cult of mac"?
  • Reply 18 of 39
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    If Quanta will make up to 4.5m MBs this year, how many will Asustek make? How many MBPs? I'm thinking 10m total Mac units this calendar year.

I'm in the market for a new Santa Rosa MBP shipping with Leopard. April?
  • Reply 19 of 39
    It's too bad those in Taiwan can't pay true Apple MAP prices ... given the amount of invesment Apple has invested in orders with various Taiwanese companies, the ongoing 15% ish tariff is ridiculous.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

For someone who has never owned a Mac you certainly know when you should hold off on buying a Mac. How is it you came to be on these boards and know their release cycle without yet joining the "cult of mac"?

I've been cult of Mac by proxy for a while. That is, my spouse uses a G4, and that's when I learned to like them... but she hoards it, she does, my precious.

So I started ghosting PC to Mac switcher sites and after some research decided to buy my own because a lot of what I saw and read appealed to me. That was in September, and all kinds of things have gotten in the way of that purchase since then. But, I have been faithfully lurking here and on other Apple sites in preparation, and can tell you that one learns a lot about the cult from its followers.

My heart went out to all those who bought a MBP two weeks before the C2D chips were rolled out. I know that Expos are big turning points, so I also know it'd be madness to buy anything this week.

I'm very much looking forward to being legit, but I figured I knew enough to contribute to this thread, at least.

m.