Apple stuns Macworld crowd with multi-function iPhone device

Comments

• Reply 61 of 439
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    We know that the iPhone exists, and that it's features are much better than we expected, now we need to discuss the details....

- How much space does OS X for iPhone take up?

- Will OS X use up some of the 4 or 8GB of NAND, or it stored separately?

- What CPU does the phone have?

- Could be ported over to other smart phones?

- Will it require iTunes 8 to function?

- How will it sync with address books on Windows?

- Will it work with T-Mobile snce it has a sim card?

- How are they able to keep the iPhone name in light first-to-market and trademarking by Cisco?

- Can I use Skype for Wi-Fi calls or will iChat supply a similair, seamless function?

- Will there be developer notes from creating 3rd-party software?

- Can the accelerometer work like Nike+?

LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN!!!
  • Reply 62 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

OK... I was wrong! Steve did it! Pretty incredible device. A computer+phone+iPod. Wow.... but no Leopard info!

I must admit, i'm also guilty of lying(?)... I said i would never change my phone service provider for an iPhone, but after reading about it, I'M JUMPING SHIP TO CINGULAR!

I don't care how sucky Cingular is... I want THAT phone!

AMAZING what apple does time after time ...
  • Reply 63 of 439
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

We know that the iPhone exists, and that it's features are much better than we expected, now we need to discuss the details....

- How much space does OS X for iPhone take up?

- What CPU does the phone have?

- Could be ported over to other smart phones?

- Will it require iTunes 8 to function?

- How will it sync with address books on Windows?

- Will it work with T-Mobile snce it has a sim card?

- How are they able to keep the iPhone name in light first-to-market and trademarking by Cisco?

- Can I use Skype for Wi-Fi calls or will iChat supply a similair, seamless function?

- Will there be developer notes from creating 3rd-party software?

- Can the accelerometer work like Nike+?

While we know the answer to some of these we don't know them all.

What we do know, or can figure out;

The OS will not be allowed to be ported over. That should be obvious.

It will sync, but how...

It has a sim card, but that doesn't mean it can be exchanged as yet. Apple has an exclusive multi year contract with Cingular. Perhaps if they sell phones in their stores.

Apple signed a deal today, allowing them to use the name.

Likely 3rd party software will be coming out, as he said that applications would be available, and didn't just say Apple apps.

The accelerometer can likely be hacked as it has been in the laptops.
  • Reply 64 of 439
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I'll bet by June Apple will introduce a scaled down iPhone that will play music, take pictures and have the phone and voicemail capabilities. Price, $199.
  • Reply 65 of 439
    I will get one of these phones, depending on how much I get off for upgrading. My concern is, with the wifi, would i be using Cingulars data plan or be able to use open/my own wifi networks. To be charged data useage for using Wifi seems insane to me.
  • Reply 66 of 439
    it has a proximity sensor so that it turns of screen when your ear is near the ear hole (bar)

question: what if you are watching a movie (sideways - widescreen) and your thumb gets close to that hole?

does it shut off?

i hope not
  • Reply 67 of 439
    no flash on the camera?

did i see right?

that is a big bummer.
  • Reply 68 of 439
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I love the Cover Browser on the device. Also, the way a cover flips to reveal the play buttons on the back truly is a genius

And all the rest is CRAP Sorry to say this about Apple.

So, what went wrong:

1- Transferring the big screen Safari to a phoney screen Why Steve, why? The widgets are truly great! Let people design more widgets and get rid of Safari as we know it on a tiny screen!

2- Using a eeneeweenee tiny touchkeyboard I bet I could type so much quicker using a scroll wheel! I actually used to have a scroll wheel on the side of my Sony which was such a joy to use!

3- Introducing Google maps is a very childish way of navigation, so itsa Exit Apple, enter TomTom.

4- your fingers are not the best pointing device! Not everyone has beautifull sculpted fingers. + using a finger will obscure all the rest of the screen. Sorry

For part one, I suggest looking at the demo videos on Apple's site. I think it does a pretty good job of it, it looks like it does the job a lot better than any other program I've seen for small screens. In light of that, getting rid of Safari is a silly suggestion, it might as well not be a smart phone if it can't access the internet like other smart phones can.

3: itsa?

4: I can see how they might have worked on custom touch pad designs to make this work right, but the proof would be in actually trying it. If you don't like it, I can imagine that you could just buy a stylus or use a retracted plastic pen.
  • Reply 69 of 439
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

The prices quoted include two year Cingular contract.

I don't know if that's worded right, it's easy to read it as if you get two years of phone service included in that price, but that is extra.
  • Reply 70 of 439
    A law just passed, maybe a month ago, that requires all Cell phone companies to provide unlocking codes to anyone who wants to unlock their phone and use it on any network. There was a link on foxnews.com but I lost it. Do a google search and I'm sure it will come up. I don't think Apple would mind this, seeing that they will make 200 - 300 more for selling a phone without a contract.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

While we know the answer to some of these we don't know them all.

What we do know, or can figure out;

The OS will not be allowed to be ported over. That should be obvious.

It will sync, but how...

It has a sim card, but that doesn't mean it can be exchanged as yet. Apple has an exclusive multi year contract with Cingular. Perhaps if they sell phones in their stores.

Apple signed a deal today, allowing them to use the name.

Likely 3rd party software will be coming out, as he said that applications would be available, and didn't just say Apple apps.

The accelerometer can likely be hacked as it has been in the laptops.

• Reply 71 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know if that's worded right, it's easy to read it as if you get two years of phone service included in that price, but that is extra.

It's that you get the phone for these prices if you get a 2 year contract.
  • Reply 72 of 439
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Hmmm. Almost a year to wait for it here in the UK and the specs for the phone will be a bit tame by then. They're a bit tame now.

2MP camera ? Huh? in 2007 in a high end phone?

No 3G. No HSDPA or HSUPA. No second camera for video calls. That probably rules it out for some of the more interesting carriers like '3' here who have unlimited data plans.

They glossed over the WiFi features too. Does it support UMA? Can you use iChat for voice calls over wifi?

I also hope the software gets a load more features than shown currently before release. I'm sure it will and appreciate they only had a 2 hour keynote to show them but it's missing a few niceties I'm used to on my p910i.

It does look gorgeous though and I do so want one.

Right, with that out the way, where were the Mac announcements?
  • Reply 73 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

A law just passed, maybe a month ago, that requires all Cell phone companies to provide unlocking codes to anyone who wants to unlock their phone and use it on any network. There was a link on foxnews.com but I lost it. Do a google search and I'm sure it will come up. I don't think Apple would mind this, seeing that they will make 200 - 300 more for selling a phone without a contract.

I haven't heard this, but if you would care to find it, I'm sure we would read it.
  • Reply 74 of 439
    hahaha

I predicted this (whoo hoo Im a pundit now ). Why all the whining about the price? did you really think apple would release an unlocked phone for $199? LOL

This phone has to be priced WAY ABOVE the ipods because it is NOT MEANT to replace them or cannibalize ipod sales. This is a high end expensive boutique phone for people with money to burn. Nothing there is really that amazing, it is just well presented and polished phone, but nothing that will be revolutionary for now. it doesnt even have 3G support yet. (I can see the next version with it, once all the early adopters have bought the current model).
  • Reply 75 of 439
    The price quoted is you get the phone for that price and you pay your monthly fee from Cingular. This is how it works. They offer many phones for a discount with their service. Sorry, but this is how it is, they (Cingular) would lose money any other way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

• Reply 76 of 439
    The law is good for 3 years.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2064707,00.asp

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I haven't heard this, but if you would care to find it, I'm sure we would read it.

• Reply 77 of 439
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

So did anybody notice that at the bottom of the widget photo, there is a ticker symbol for Genetech (DNA). The other companies on the list are obvious, but what the heck is Genetech doing there?...

See here.
  • Reply 78 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Hmmm. Almost a year to wait for it here in the UK and the specs for the phone will be a bit tame by then. They're a bit tame now.

2MP camera ? Huh? in 2007 in a high end phone?

No 3G. No HSDPA or HSUPA. No second camera for video calls. That probably rules it out for some of the more interesting carriers like '3' here who have unlimited data plans.

They glossed over the WiFi features too. Does it support UMA? Can you use iChat for voice calls over wifi?

I also hope the software gets a load more features than shown currently before release. I'm sure it will and appreciate they only had a 2 hour keynote to show them but it's missing a few niceties I'm used to on my p910i.

It does look gorgeous though and I do so want one.

Right, with that out the way, where were the Mac announcements?

That were it! He said that they sold well this quarter, and that was all they were going to say about them.

Perhaps, we can only hope, they will make more announcements later in the show.
  • Reply 79 of 439
    What a lackluster open for MacWorld. The iPhone is a cool gadget but I don't think it's a truly revolutionary product that will change much. Some tech-savvy people will drool all over it, but it's not what the average customer wants. I expect when Apple looks back in a few years the iPhone will be one of the biggest disappoints to go with the AppleTV.

For one, they are WAY too expensive. Granted they're PCs, but you could buy a laptop for the price of either iPhone or you could get another PDA/phone thingy that's not as impressive but costs half or more what the iPhone costs. Apple hopes for 1%, but I think they'll be fortunate to get half that - I see this as a major misread of the market.

As for AppleTV, I don't get it. I'm an iPod lover and I love my Mac too, but I don't want to shell out $300 for the ability to watch it on my TV. Why can't you team up with DirecTV and come up with an HD recorder, iTunes, DirecTV box?

The iPhone would be cool if it translates to the iPod WITHOUT the cell phone portions. I already have a cell phone and I have no interest in joining Cingular, one of the worst carriers I've ever dealt with. Verizon is much better for me, especially with the wireless service becoming better integrated with the larger company. I'll save money with FiOs, cell service, phone all on one bill. I like Apple, but I and so many others won't switch providers - besides, I like CDMA much better than GSM. While GSM is the global standard, most cell phones in NA are CDMA (Verizon+Sprint+Alltel+Metro+several others).
  • Reply 80 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

That is incorrect. Cell phone companies are NOT required at all to provide any unlocking codes at all. however any individual or company can provide/sell the locks and the cell phone companies cannot sue to prevent it.