iPhone Touchscreen

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The iPhone is simply incredible. However Jobs didn't address one point that I am sure he didn't over look (considering his eye for perfection). How do you avoid from scratching or smudging the screen with regular use? Was he actually coming in contact with the screen or was he able to affect it by just hovering over it with his finger?

The iPhone reminds me of a quote from Christopher Nolan's movie The Prestige when Cutter says "This wasn't built by a magician. It was built by a wizard."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    im pretty sure it is touch screen and you will need to touch the screen.

however, this just got me thinking. why not have a little glove that you can wear on your index finger, specially for using the phone.

you read it here first folks.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    It's a touchscreen. It's a new technology called "multi-touch," which lets you use two different fingers simultaneously (i.e. you can resize an image using two fingers and spreading them apart or bringing them closer). I would think that the screen had a special coating that enables this to not be a problem, so I think it's all good.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Yes, it is a TOUCH screen. You touch it and it (eventually) gets smudges. Just like that computer monitor you're looking at right now. But just like you do with your iPod, when the smudges get bad enough, you give it a quick swipe on your shirt to get them off. That's it. 8)
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:

however, this just got me thinking. why not have a little glove that you can wear on your index finger, specially for using the phone.

maybe it'll be marketed by a third party, but apple would never do that. imagine whipping out your lust-inducing new iPhone and then having to scrounge in your pocket for your little patterned finger-condom. actually you'd have to put it on before whipping out the phone, or otherwise transfer the phone back to a pocket to roll on the rubber... ain't gonna happen.

and that's apart from how it would remove all the flexibility of being able to use whatever fingers you want depending on the application or the multi-touch function.

I would imagine that they've put their resources instead into making the screen itself as easy to wipe clean as possible. as jupiterone notes.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    I would think the scratching would be more of a concern since you can't just wipe them away. I'm sure there will be all sorts of aftermarket protectors for the screen, but I hope Apple picks a scratch resistant cover/overlay nonetheless.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    No more of a concern than when you buy any new gadget. Everyone stop worrying. I'm sure Apple has picked the appropriate material for the overall design specs.

Face it, surfaces scratch, dishes chip, tiled floors crack. These are facts of life. What gadgets do you know that are used constantly and are still in pristine condition. It's called wear and tear.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    my desktop computer for one..

my only complaint is the intergration of it all.. It seems to be marketed towards younger people with lots of money (or who have parents with lots of money)

If I got a phone for business, I wouldnt need mp3, movies, and pictures. If I got a phone for fun, unless I have a lot of spending money burning a hole in my pocket, I wouldnt drop $500.

It is 5 years ahead of its time, it wont be practical until then either..
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

No more of a concern than when you buy any new gadget. Everyone stop worrying. I'm sure Apple has picked the appropriate material for the overall design specs.

Face it, surfaces scratch, dishes chip, tiled floors crack. These are facts of life. What gadgets do you know that are used constantly and are still in pristine condition. It's called wear and tear.

Ahhhh someone in this forum does have some COMMON SENSE!! the rest of you people seem so stupid!
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlconR View Post

my desktop computer for one..

my only complaint is the intergration of it all.. It seems to be marketed towards younger people with lots of money (or who have parents with lots of money)

If I got a phone for business, I wouldnt need mp3, movies, and pictures. If I got a phone for fun, unless I have a lot of spending money burning a hole in my pocket, I wouldnt drop $500.

Many people in business need to use images and send them to clients/coworkers. Videos are now as common and useful as photos for many uses. Enjoying an mp3 on a train ride is not excessive. Having a device that makes one efficient and productive and is a pleasure to use is surely an advantage. This device is practial and is desired now by many.

You remind me of people embracing their typewriters in the 1980's.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlconR View Post

It seems to be marketed towards younger people with lots of money (or who have parents with lots of money)

to anyone who is complaining about the price -

500-600 is a lot to spend a phone, no denying that. But this is a brand new product with top of the line technology. It's going to be expensive. Newest technology is always the most expensive.

In 1984, apple computer released its original mac. the thing cost 2500! that's the mac pro! it was replaced later in the year, and the new macintosh cost 3200!!

In 1989, apple released its first portable computer. Sold for 6500!

Now, a more relevant approach;

the first iPod (10gig) sold for 500 dollars. just an ipod. played music. that's it.

the iPod photo (60gig) sold for 600 dollars. played music. held photos. color.

Now, for 500 dollars you can get a phone that plays music at videos, has a camera, has wifi and bluetooth, full screen touch screen... it's truely a revolutionary device. Granted, it only has 4 gigabytes of storage, but that can be worked on in a relatively short amount of time. In a year, that will have at least doubled. Heck, the thing's not even out yet. Who knows what additions could be announced?

sure, it may be a bit unpractical, but who had 10 gigs of music when the first ipod came out?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thisismyusername View Post

Now, a more relevant approach;

the first iPod (10gig) sold for 500 dollars. just an ipod.

No, it was 5GB and sold for $500. The wheel on that one actually did spin too. The 2nd generation introduced the 10GB model (alongside the 5GB) and went to a touch surface for the wheel but still had buttons around the circumference.

Just a small correction that doesn't really detract from your point.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

No, it was 5GB and sold for $500. The wheel on that one actually did spin too. The 2nd generation introduced the 10GB model (alongside the 5GB) and went to a touch surface for the wheel but still had buttons around the circumference.

forgot about that one. my bad
  • Reply 13 of 25
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    The NYT article by David Pogue addresses the smudging issue. He just wiped it on his shirt and all was well.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=htt...th-the-iphone/
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:

Actually, it was $399..., and the 10GB introduced at MacWorld Tokyo was a spin-wheel as well...I know...I had it. THAT 10GB was $499. The spinless wheel wasn't introduced until the 20GB option was added.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Padilla79 View Post

It's a touchscreen. It's a new technology called "multi-touch," which lets you use two different fingers simultaneously (i.e. you can resize an image using two fingers and spreading them apart or bringing them closer). I would think that the screen had a special coating that enables this to not be a problem, so I think it's all good.

What about Jeff Han? Didn't he develop multi-touch at MIT? Did Apple hire him or people from his department? It was interesting that Jobs made it sound like Apple had independently developed multi-touch when this seems not to be the case. I suppose if MIT had no patents on this technology and/or it was not implemented in a cell phone form the issue may be moot.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    It's easier to work on an existing product than it is to invent it. Apple will release the iPhone (yes, the iPhone) and make it better in coming years - just like the iPod. Nobody will release anything like this for at least 2-3 years...just like the iPod. Microsoft won't copy this device for another 4-6 years, just like the iPod. Get my drift? JUST LIKE THE iPOD!

Now...I don't want to confuse you, but the iPod will soon sport a touch screen, JUST LIKE THE iPHONE. ha
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krlock View Post

im pretty sure it is touch screen and you will need to touch the screen.

you read it here first folks.

iTrojan - ribbed for touch screen pleasure.

iMagnum - yes, size matters, because you'll never be able to type on it with those big hands.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filmmaker2002 View Post

Actually, it was $399..., and the 10GB introduced at MacWorld Tokyo was a spin-wheel as well...I know...I had it. THAT 10GB was $499. The spinless wheel wasn't introduced until the 20GB option was added.

hehe, I guess we're all learning a little .

However, I have a non-spin wheel 10GB 2nd gen iPod right here on my desk and I started wondering more about all the changes the iPod's seen over the years. It's kinda interesting to think how much the iPod has actually evolved since it was introduced.

iPod History
  • Reply 19 of 25
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    This is more of a core animation thing than a touchscreen, but:

I just noticed on the Apple iPhone videos that when you try to scroll past the end of webpage in Safari it sort of "bounces" to let you know you are at an edge. That is, the top or bottom edge of the page briefly pulls free of the screen edge, revealing a bit of black space, then snaps back.

Apple is the only company I know of that would bother with that kind of detail, but the sum of those details are what make the experience so pleasurable, even if you aren't really aware of them.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

hehe, I guess we're all learning a little .

However, I have a non-spin wheel 10GB 2nd gen iPod right here on my desk and I started wondering more about all the changes the iPod's seen over the years. It's kinda interesting to think how much the iPod has actually evolved since it was introduced.

iPod History

yeah i'm personally a big fan of jobs' first introduction of the ipod. the iphone's keynote is pretty much a flashback. or maybe a flashforward. i dunno.