Some things the iPhone NEEDS, imo

Comments

• Reply 61 of 144
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I don't get it.

This thing SUCKS.

Battery life is shit, and without tactile input, it can't be used in a car or other situations where you want to just hit a key and speed dial without looking. As a phone, it's shit. This is going to TANK unless they fix it FAST.

Sorry...this thing is a piece. Oh yeah, and just Cingular? What a joke.

And the PRICE!? Yeah. Right. Nice. Try. Game. Over. After the fanboise get it, this thing's sales will fall to 0 unless they change it.

I really wanted to like it. I mean, you guys are talking about widgets. It's a PHONE. That's 50% of its function. And as a phone, it sucks.

I bet 2.0 will be good though. I'm banking on it. I hope they will have Verizon. If so, I'll buy it. It just needs to cost half as much, work with all networks, increase the battery several-fold, and have at LEAST a call button that calls the last dialed number (as in, a REAL BUTTON.) AND perhaps another button that is assignable (to say a number, song, function, etc.)

I think this post should be mounted in the public square so we can all point and laugh at Aquatic when the iPhone proves to be a pivotal development in the history of the personal technology, which it most certainly is.
  • Reply 62 of 144
    When the RAZR came out, it original was sold at full price, no discounts. Period. End of story. But shortly thereafter the price started to fall... not because Motorola changed it's price but because carriers picked up the tab to reel in customers

I honestly don't think cingular will do this (or to be more precise, I don't think Apple will let them because that will kill Apple's method of distribution), but isn't it possible cingular will take off $100 of the cost after a few months just because that will get them a two year contact where $100 is likely barely two months worth of bills.

At any rate, expect an iPhone 1.5 in October(ish). This iPhone will likely just contain a memory boost and/or price cut (more likely the first), and new software.
  • Reply 63 of 144
    Edge is 3 to 4 times faster than GPRS, and gives pretty useable speeds, in real life. Of course, not for downloads, but for web browsing, even on a Macbook, very tolerable.

However, for Europe, there is no way this phone will seel through any serious network (T mobile in Germany, Vodafone in UK or any network in Italy) without 3G.

This may in fact explain the six months gap between market dates in the US and Europe, because i am pretty sure that the European version will also include 3G.

Finally, i would like to point out that, in countries where Wi-Fi is ubiquitous and cheap enough, the 3G issue becomes moot.

Pierre

PS: i want one as soon as it's available in Europe !
  • Reply 64 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teufel View Post

However, for Europe, there is no way this phone will sell through any serious network (T mobile in Germany, Vodafone in UK or any network in Italy) without 3G.

This may in fact explain the six months gap between market dates in the US and Europe, because i am pretty sure that the European version will also include 3G.

I agree 100%.

I'm in London and there's no cheap/free municipal wireless here. I think that sort of thing might be more common in the USA. I can get it at my university, but nowhere else. That's why 3G is so important to the European launch, and I'm sure Jobs knows this. I however read quite a discouraging article in the Times the other day about the bid for iPhone in Europe - apparently Telefonica SA are leading the bidding (they own O2 in the UK) - the article pointed out that since the iPhone isn't 3G compatible, the UK network "3" is ruled out, and that they aren't very happy about this. But surely if 3G was coming in time for launch, this wouldn't matter, which makes me doubt whether this is the case. Make what you will of that, anyway.
  • Reply 65 of 144
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    lets talk memory

in order to plan what is a typical itunes video file size, he demoed pirates so how many movies could you keep. i'd like the idea of using this in my car connected to a screen.

if say you could keep 4-6 movies AND a few hundred pictures to show granny and 250+songs like the shuffle.

as far as other apps, i would think to move into enterprise it must be able to at least display word docs, spreadsheets +/- it would be cool to carry your keynote presentation with you....is SJ looking to make enterprise expansion. would a corp hand these out instead of blackberry????

if it had an expansion slot so you could add memory

is 2.5 g software upgradable to 3g??? if it can be used abroad then don't they have more 3g then us and thus 3g now???. i don't understand this gsm thing would it require a new chip???

I DON'T LIKE that the battery isn't consumer changeable, that means if you need a new one (always the case) that you have to send it in and lose your phone for a week or so.....maybe they give out loaner go phones ha ha

edge is dialup, webpages are more rich, flash is needed, and internet access needs the speed

is wifi wimax compatible

and what about using that screen if it has a protective case.....there is no way i am buying this big dollar gizmo without a good case....like my bodyglove, wont that mess up the screen use???

why june???? are they waiting for more 3g?? and how much of each call and data package is apple getting. with this wow phone it would be a snap for mvno, but cingular and all telco don't want the telco monopoly to be eroded by apple. i bet an apple mvno option scared cingular into submission. so does apple get a play from the phone use revenue side??? here was there oportunity to make the dollars

lots of questions
  • Reply 66 of 144
    I don't see them providing user-expandable memory, that's not Apple's style at all. It'd be nice if they'd finally concede and make the battery user replaceable, though. If you noticed, they were quite quiet on battery life, not providing a standby figure, for example, Maybe this is something they're still finalising, and hopefully at some stage that Digg guy's dual-battery hypothesis will come true.
  • Reply 67 of 144
    kfdankfdan Posts: 81member
    I think a video link via skype or some such communication system is a killer application that would come natural to iPhone. One camera to shoot video (talk face to face perhaps even conference call) and another to shoot stills. The video camera could swivel from front to back! Love that idea and it certainly would further distinguish Apple's iPhone from the rest of the pack!
  • Reply 68 of 144
    kfdan, while it's a good idea, it's not happening anytime soon. Video conferencing is unnecessary at this time, but I still think that the ability to record movies via the camera is.
  • Reply 69 of 144
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teufel View Post

However, for Europe, there is no way this phone will seel through any serious network (T mobile in Germany, Vodafone in UK or any network in Italy) without 3G.

Finally, i would like to point out that, in countries where Wi-Fi is ubiquitous and cheap enough, the 3G issue becomes moot.

You hit the nail on the head. I'd bet the price of the phone that the European version will have 3G. The reason the U.S. version won't have 3G, according to a Cingular rep friend of mine (from a couple of months ago), the 3G network is "broken" (his exact words). I didn't have time to dig into it with him but aside from that it doesn't seem like 3G (at least Cingular's) penetration is high enough. WiFi is my friend. 8)
  • Reply 70 of 144
    ya no 3G at this moment is a good way to go in the U.S. curently. I went to cingular this morning to see what the whole deal was, and they said that its good 3G wasnt involved yet, i told them Job's was considering a simple software update is this possible? he said sure the antennae and radios should be in the phone by shipment then all it is is a small update on the firmware, but dont count on Job's giving 3G for a while at least till 2008 because 3G is truely a "broken" solution currently until they get some more land usage from it
  • Reply 71 of 144
    Pogue, a reporter for the NY Times, has a list of FAQs about the iPhone. He claims it won't sync with Outlook. Unless they make iCal/Address Book etc. for Windows, how will it sync? He also says no games! Apple shouldn't develop games for the iPod and not use them for the iPhone. He also claims it won't connect to iChat. He also claims no videocamera, but it might by June.

I dunno, I think the iPhone packs in a lot, but for a high end mid 2007 phone, it should have 3G, IM, and a videocam.
  • Reply 73 of 144
    uhh well i know theyre not sure about the video, but it might include games but they needed to be downloaded from itunes, this is not for sure its speculation from jobs, but iChat is a YES, it will include ichat thats for sure, AIM is a huge part of the phone and AIM being exclusive for ichat is a huge thing, almost every phone has it this wil too, this is also coming from the nytimes John Markoff

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/te...ge&oref=slogin

not only that but ichat is featured as a demo on Apple own website....
  • Reply 74 of 144
    wow i just read all this and it is a load of crap..a lot of the features he told us about is actually on the phone already...
  • Reply 75 of 144
    Not to say the actually AIM iChat client won't be on the phone, but isn't a version of it already on the phone in SMS? Maybe they're thinking so many more people use SMS, why not just make that look like iChat?
  • Reply 76 of 144
    screw SMS i like to have AIM to see who is available online and speak with them through an instam messenger client, now i am really pist if the phone doesnt have this they just lost my business, and a lot of people who use it to speak with people a majority of the time
  • Reply 77 of 144
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    I'll try to answer everyone of them that I can

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

lets talk memory

in order to plan what is a typical itunes video file size, he demoed pirates so how many movies could you keep. i'd like the idea of using this in my car connected to a screen.

if say you could keep 4-6 movies AND a few hundred pictures to show granny and 250+songs like the shuffle.

I have 3 Movies from iTunes, and now the Keynote is downloading.

Pirates of the Caribbean is 1.64 GB

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 is 1.74 GB

Casanova is 1.26 GB

The Macworld 2007 Keynote is 1.21 GB

That averages out to be about 1.4625 GB per movie, if you factor in that you'll only have around 7 GB to work with on the 8 GB model, you can fit about 4 or 5 Movies on there depending on how large they are. That leaves room for probably a little more then 2 GB of Pictures and Music, unless the system really does eat a full GB.

Quote:

as far as other apps, i would think to move into enterprise it must be able to at least display word docs, spreadsheets +/- it would be cool to carry your keynote presentation with you....is SJ looking to make enterprise expansion. would a corp hand these out instead of blackberry????

I highly doubt even Apple could pass up the chance for Software expansion, but it's a bit grim at the moment.

Quote:

if it had an expansion slot so you could add memory

It doesn't have one, the only expansion "slot" is the Dock Connector and the Headphone jack.

Quote:

is 2.5 g software upgradable to 3g??? if it can be used abroad then don't they have more 3g then us and thus 3g now???. i don't understand this gsm thing would it require a new chip???

I did some light reading (very light reading) on this and 3G requires the Hardware to be in place before you can even think of a Software update. If the iPhone doesn't have the required hardware it won't work with a sotware update.

Quote:

I DON'T LIKE that the battery isn't consumer changeable, that means if you need a new one (always the case) that you have to send it in and lose your phone for a week or so.....maybe they give out loaner go phones ha ha

Good point, then again maybe they can just open it up and change the Battery right there at the Genius Bar for you.

Quote:

edge is dialup, webpages are more rich, flash is needed, and internet access needs the speed

EDGE is about 4-5x faster then that, but it's close enough, Flash is needed and I hope it is in Safari

Quote:

is wifi wimax compatible

No, different standards. WiFi is 802.11 and WiMax is 802.16, but you can stick both in one device, the iPhone won't have WiMax though.

Quote:

and what about using that screen if it has a protective case.....there is no way i am buying this big dollar gizmo without a good case....like my bodyglove, wont that mess up the screen use???

I highly doubt Apple overlooked this and with 200+ Patents in the iPhone hopefully one of them takes care of this problem

Quote:

why june???? are they waiting for more 3g?? and how much of each call and data package is apple getting. with this wow phone it would be a snap for mvno, but cingular and all telco don't want the telco monopoly to be eroded by apple. i bet an apple mvno option scared cingular into submission. so does apple get a play from the phone use revenue side??? here was there oportunity to make the dollars

Apple has to wait till June for the FCC to certify the iPhone. They introduced the iPhone so the FCC wouldn't do it for them by releasing a document or something. It wouldn't be a snap to do MVNO, it would be very costly, and Apple chose Cingular because they had a great experience working together on the ROKR, which they chose then because they are the Nation's largest Wireless provider.

Quote:

lots of questions

Lots of Answers

Sebastian
  • Reply 78 of 144
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah does this thing have AIM? I mean if not..that's a fucking joke. SMS? LOL. Yeah. Right.

Does it even have Vibrate????

Piece of crap.

As per GPS, it's simpe. It should be a more expensive option. It would be killer.

But the most important thing about the iPhone, is, well, the PHONE. Which currently...sucks.
  • Reply 79 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Yeah does this thing have AIM? I mean if not..that's a fucking joke. SMS? LOL. Yeah. Right.

Does it even have Vibrate????

Piece of crap.

As per GPS, it's simpe. It should be a more expensive option. It would be killer.

But the most important thing about the iPhone, is, well, the PHONE. Which currently...sucks.

You sure make a lot of snap judgements without even using the phone
  • Reply 80 of 144
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Not having vibrate is a BIG DEAL. Also can it do video? I'd assume it can but if not that would be awful too.

And no I didn't finish watching the video on it, it was too painful. But I'm sure they'll get it right. Or give up. One or the other. Hopefully they'll keep going. They should have never stopped the Newton and QuickTake. They invented entire industries and then left them.