Leopard = NeXTSTEP

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Egad! What is happening the the beautiful OSX UI? Answer: It is becoming NeXTSTEP.

All the bright colors turning into black. The system font becoming Helvetica, which was what it was in NeXTSTEP. Seriously, am I the only one who has noticed this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    WTF are you talking about?
  • Reply 2 of 37
    They are making Aqua look more like an updated version of NeXTSTEP. Isn't that what I said?
  • Reply 3 of 37
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite View Post

They are making Aqua look more like an updated version of NeXTSTEP. Isn't that what I said?

It might have been before his time.

Next computer was Steve's company after he was forced out of Apple. Next Computer it had an interface that was way ahead of it's time and was based upon unix.

Apple bought NeXt. and got Steve back.

The NeXt software and Intellectual property folded into Apple and became OS X

That's what he is talking about.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

But where do you see that?
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:

Egad! What is happening the the beautiful OSX UI? Answer: It is becoming NeXTSTEP.

All the bright colors turning into black. The system font becoming Helvetica, which was what it was in NeXTSTEP. Seriously, am I the only one who has noticed this?

I sure hope we get a new UI because Aqua really is aging - though I hope it's not Nexstep. But how do you know? Where have you seen Leopard?
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Helvetica is the classic 'Modernist' font. i love that font, makes me think of the old Letraset catalogues and the metropolitan graphic design of the late sixties and early seventies. i think this is the end of the mechanical looking interface. the design coming out of Apple is begining to resemble the appearance of glossy magazine pages. even in OsX currently, windows have a 'full bleed' on some of the margins. the drop shadows are the new margin borders. even the iPhone has edge to edge margins on the left and right sides.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Quote:

Go back and look again. NeXTSTEP probably does not look the way you thought it looked.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Sorry, but NextStep doesn't look like MacOSX at all.

Nice Dock though! I bet the "Finder" works better than that horrible piece of code in MacOSX now. See the folder-traversing at the top? This system is now in Windows Vista (only smaller, better). I bet you can drop files and folders onto those icons!
  • Reply 9 of 37
    It does seem similar though. At first we had Aqua, which of course was nothing like NeXT. However, with all this new "black glass" stuff looks to me much like NeXTSTEP.

These window designs are growing away from Aqua, and turning into an updated and more graphically enhanced version of NeXTSTEP.

The actual interface isn't changing, but the "look" of it is definitely moving in this direction.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

All the bright colors turning into black.

The bright colors were intro'd because of the bright colors on the first few iMac's. Now colored iMac's are gone, and the interface is following. If you think about the color of the NeXT box, maybe this is a hint if a black iMac coming. Cue the speculation... I would think though that this time around the UI will trump NeXTSTEP's though.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The bright colors were intro'd because of the bright colors on the first few iMac's. Now colored iMac's are gone, and the interface is following. If you think about the color of the NeXT box, maybe this is a hint if a black iMac coming. Cue the speculation... I would think though that this time around the UI will trump NeXTSTEP's though.

Hey.. That all makes good sense, and especially since the black MacBooks and iPods....

And yes this UI will be better than the NeXT one, being "glossier" and more "shiny."
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Quote:

Hey.. That all makes good sense, and especially since the black MacBooks and iPods....

And yes this UI will be better than the NeXT one, being "glossier" and more "shiny."

I was thinking better in more ways than just shininess. Actually joking aside, I think the look of iTunes 7 is retro-modern. As in it looks both futuristic and old in a good good way at the same time. There's more though, besides the look of the UI per-say, I think Core Animation will play a big part where the use and interaction is concerned. And I definitely think there will be a completely rethought Finder, as in completely rethought. I think the Finder will be gone completely, and somthing entirely new will be used, which will rely heavily on spotlight, but more importantly will rely heavely on Core Animation. Core Animation is not just for visual wow factor, it can help represent visual transitions and effects that can tell your brain what's happening in a powerfully visual way (ala Time Machine). Take the iPhone for example; when the home button is pressed the current screen goes backwards and away from the user, and the home screen kind of comes in, in a way as to sort of make you feel at home. It's a very distinctive transition, and when you see it being pressed you think, ah yes, the home screen. I think this is the sort of thing we'll see in the Finder. I have a certain cat installed at the moment, and I can tell you by the look of it, Apple most definitely has one super secret build in Cupertino with lots of secret features. There's no way Apple would dare let a bug free version of their current seed out the door in a Leopard box. After looking at the iPhone UI, I expect not just a new look, but a revolution.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I have a certain cat installed at the moment, and I can tell you by the look of it, Apple most definitely has one super secret build in Cupertino with lots of secret features. There's no way Apple would dare let a bug free version of their current seed out the door in a Leopard box. After looking at the iPhone UI, I expect not just a new look, but a revolution.

Go on!! DISH it!

8)
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

Go on!! DISH it!

8)

I asked Steve, he said not yet.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Sorry, but NextStep doesn't look like MacOSX at all.

Nice Dock though! I bet the "Finder" works better than that horrible piece of code in MacOSX now. See the folder-traversing at the top? This system is now in Windows Vista (only smaller, better). I bet you can drop files and folders onto those icons!

This screenshot is from Openstep 4.0 RC1 codenamed MECCA. It was never released. Openstep was released with the NS 3.3 UI.

If I get my dwrites for Vertical Menus then I'll feel like I am working back at NeXT. For now I'm one of many who find the current UI less productive than Openstep.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Turnwrite, I still don't see any connection besides that NeXTSTEP uses black window title bars (?) and a slight blueish theme? Windows, BeOS and many Linux varieties also use blue.

There's more connection between NeXTSTEP and AmigaOS 4 (regarding UI, not interaction design) I think.

• Reply 17 of 37
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

It does seem similar though. At first we had Aqua, which of course was nothing like NeXT. However, with all this new "black glass" stuff looks to me much like NeXTSTEP.

The actual interface isn't changing, but the "look" of it is definitely moving in this direction.

Because Apple uses black HUDs it suddenly looks like NeXTSTEP becuase it had black window title bars?
  • Reply 18 of 37
    All of you wanting simple cosmetic changes... ... well, I had have nothing nice to say to you people so I won't say anything.

I would strongly discourage Apple or Steve to go back to old UI paradigms. Computers have evolved a lot in the past 20 years. The number of files on the computer has increased dramatically. The amount of new types of applications have also increased dramatically. And hell, the amounts of concurrent activities on the computer has shot up.

All of you clamoring for shelves and spatial organization need to slow down and take deep breaths because this UI paradigm is over and done with for the most part. Some aspects of it should be retained for files and projects that are recent but it's time to move to a new interface paradigm that actually *helps* a user make sense of and organize the tons of files on the computer and the tons of applications/windows open on the screen.

Sure, a new "skin" or "theme" would be neat but in the end SO WHAT!?
  • Reply 19 of 37
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

I would strongly discourage Apple or Steve to go back to old UI paradigms. Computers have evolved a lot in the past 20 years. The number of files on the computer has increased dramatically. The amount of new types of applications have also increased dramatically. And hell, the amounts of concurrent activities on the computer has shot up.

If part of the old UI paradigm was that it doesn't get bogged down then I would say I want it back. I'm getting really frustrated by all the little delays OS X keeps having. In Windows, I double-click a folder and the Window is there. I hide it and it vanishes instantly, no fading, no scale or genie. I click it in the taskbar and it's back instantly. I don't mean in 1 -2 seconds, I mean instantly. I want my whole system to run like that but Apple keep pushing the ideas about making things animate and swish in and out. I need to get work done and all these little delays add up. It does affect productivity because you get used to having to wait on things and taking things at a slower pace. When I go back to an older system like XP or OS 9, I can zip through stuff in next to no time.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    I timed it, and the genie effect takes about .5 seconds. Seriously man c'mon.