Apple to impose 802.11n upgrade fee on Intel Mac owners

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrdcs1 View Post

Does anyone know if the existing Apple Airport Express units will work with these new Apple Airport Extremes? Specifically, will the Express units pass the 802.11n signal to your laptop from the Extreme base station? If not currently, does anyone know if Apple will be issuing a firmware update for the Express so that this will be possible?

It can not possibly happen.

G devices are G devices - and N is N.

The Airport Express cannot be updated by means of a software patch.

However 802.11n is backwards compatible so G devices will work, at their original speed.

The reason that the n-abler worked was that these Macs had 802.11n hardware in them all along.

C.
  • Reply 202 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

It can not possibly happen.

G devices are G devices - and N is N.

The Airport Express cannot be updated by means of a software patch.

However 802.11n is backwards compatible so G devices will work, at their original speed.

The reason that the n-abler worked was that these Macs had 802.11n hardware in them all along.

C.

Thanks Carniphage! But I'm assuming that the Airport Express will now slow down the entire network to G from N, then? Is that correct?
  • Reply 203 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrdcs1 View Post

Thanks Carniphage! But I'm assuming that the Airport Express will now slow down the entire network to G from N, then? Is that correct?

Not entirely.

The 2.4GHz flavour of 802.11n is faster and backwards compatible. It will only be slowed while there is G traffic on the network.

C.
  • Reply 204 of 205
    Got it. Thanks!
  • Reply 205 of 205
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

I am surprised that new owners of 802.11n Airport Extreme have not reported on the "enabler software" and that this hasn't been released[leaked] into the wild yet. Apple wouldn't care really if the "enabler software" was leaked, I don't think they would go to the trouble of checking via software if you *had* a 802.11n Airport Extreme before "enabling" you MacIntel Core2Duo's 802.11n chip.

Yes, the enabler has been leaked...not saying where in accordance with forum rules, but it is out there.

If it is a driver update, I would consider using the leaked version, but if it is infact a firmware flash, I would, even with how much I hate what they are doing, buy it for support reasons...

My new job has given me a whole new prospective on SOX...what a shitty law...it needs to be repeald, reform may be needed, but this thing was obviously rushed through without full thought.